What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (8 Viewers)

I argued years ago he could be an MVP. And he could have been but he has no interest in putting in the work needed to become one. I'm done with him.
I mentioned this when he got drafted. There was a really good Yahoo Sports article on why Simmons wasn't the #1 prospect I actually found again revolving around the Bolded here. Here's two of the 4 concerns in quotes from Jonathan's article discussion his lack of interest in putting in the work. This is something I harped on constantly when people said to not worry about Ben's Jumper because Lebron and John Wall didn't have great ones when coming in either. He'll get one eventually. 

Why Ben Simmons isn't the top prospect in 16 Draft Red flag concerns by Jonathan Giovney

1. Simmons’ lack of competitiveness in some crucial games has raised questions about his character as a basketball player. While many top picks succumb to the NBA star lifestyle and emerge as average competitors, it’s rare to see that at the collegiate level. From Blake Griffin to Michael Beasley to Carmelo Anthony, those elite college players were rarely questioned about their drive during their collegiate careers. Simmons has displayed an apathy for defense, contact and delivering winning plays in crucial moments. Those troubling revelations in Simmons’ game are cause for concern among decision-makers on lottery teams with whom we’ve had contact.

Here’s what NBA teams wonder: If Simmons cares so little about winning crucial college road games at Tennessee or Kentucky that could have delivered LSU to the NCAA tournament, how much will he consistently care about competing over a far more physically and mentally draining 82-game pro season? Truth be told, Simmons will almost assuredly be on a bad team that will need to fight every night to win games.

4. The concerns about Simmons’ character didn’t magically appear the moment he arrived on campus in Baton Rouge. Those sentiments also have been expressed by members of the Australian national team who have spent time with him at the junior and senior levels. Australian players and coaches who have been around him don’t speak about him in flattering terms, calling him “the Yank” to highlight how different he is compared with most of the players from that country, and perhaps highlight how much moving to the United States at a young age and immersing himself in the AAU world has shaped him.

Those who know him best say he needs things to revolve around him on and off the court and that he's often been close-minded to coaching or instruction. Can all this be blamed on LSU? Check out the “mentality” section of Simmons’ “weaknesses” breakdown.

The uncertainty surrounding Simmons has cleared the way for Duke forward Brandon Ingram to be considered the No. 1 overall prospect.

Maybe he's right-handed?  That's not a joke.

As far as free throws, it's time for him to go underhand Rick Barry style.  That's not a joke either.
I'm not sure if it was ben or not but I remember someone thinking a player was maybe shooting with the wrong Hand. Maybe Fultz? It could've been Ben though now that I think about it and was suggested by someone like 2 yrs ago or something. 

Yeah no idea how bad FT shooters don't go Granny FTs

I argued years ago he could be an MVP. And he could have been but he has no interest in putting in the work needed to become one. I'm done with him.
Granted, he started out at a really high level, but it’s remarkable how there’s been virtually no statistical growth or improvement year to year in his career. 

Yep.  A lot of misery over the years as a fan of the Blues in hockey, but it was all worth it for 2019.  
Phillies for yrs Other then 1980 when I wasn't born yet only great team up until the late 2000s was the 93 team when I was 5. 

For 11 yrs I didn't see the Eagles make the playoffs and a lot of heartbreak till 2017. 

Oh Try being a Newcastle United supporter. Haven't won anything since 1955. League runner ups in 1995 Second Div Champs a few times. 

Granted, he started out at a really high level, but it’s remarkable how there’s been virtually no statistical growth or improvement year to year in his career. 
Part of it Is the fact he's shown he doesn't want to work to improved. He didn't in College when his uncle wanted him to get extra practice time in (He was a coach at LSU) and Brett Brown who coached his father in Australia he wouldn't listen to him. Athletic I believe reported after Brown called him out for not shooting (Brown's final season), Simmons refused to shoot for a month. The team seems to want to baby him as well. Doc constantly makes excuses for him. 

I'm all for a good bashing the 76ers but I think a lot of 76ers fans now are seeing this issue more and as a reality finally. Dude hasn't grown at all. Elite Defense? I just saw Trae Young Speed dribble past him like it was nothing. This isn't to say Ben is a garbage player. He's got some skills ad talent sure. He's just not the elite NEXT LEBRON that many had claimed he was. I always believed he was more of a Rudy Gay. Overhyped player that teams would be willing to take and hope they could lock the rest of the "potential" but without success. 

Philly would be best to trade this guy this offseason while they can still get value for him. 

I know you hate me mentioning it but a ton of people on social media think the dude is elite. At least the Ben Apologists at this point. My favorite is the "he doesn't need to shoot to be great." comments 
He doesn't need to shoot to be great. He needs to shoot to be elite. Even a guy who is a top 25 player in the world, gets bashed if he's not elite. 

But yes I hate you mentioning it because maybe 2 percent of your posts in here aren't about a team you don't even cheer for. 

Depends on which team shows up. The dominating one from games 2 and 3 or the scared little kittens from the last 2?
I kind of agree with that. Do we get the team that has choked two leads away or the team who dominated in the 1st round and actually cared to play (Everyone but Joel and Curry this series seams disinterested at times). 

He doesn't need to shoot to be great. He needs to shoot to be elite. Even a guy who is a top 25 player in the world, gets bashed if he's not elite. 

But yes I hate you mentioning it because maybe 2 percent of your posts in here aren't about a team you don't even cheer for. 
Disagree. If you can't score in todays league you are not a starter or a great player. You need to be able to score multiple ways in todays NBA. Now 90s NBA Ben would be a great player as he doesn't need to score as much but if you can only bring shooting layups, good playmaker and good defense that doesn't help the team as a starter. That makes you a very Good guy off the bench. 

Disagree. If you can't score in todays league you are not a starter or a great player. You need to be able to score multiple ways in todays NBA. Now 90s NBA Ben would be a great player as he doesn't need to score as much but if you can only bring shooting layups, good playmaker and good defense that doesn't help the team as a starter. That makes you a very Good guy off the bench. 
You think Ben isn't even a starter in the league?  I think every NBA player and coach in the league disagrees with you. But hey, you know more then all of them. 

where does Reggie Jackson rank on the irrational confidence all stars list?

this generation or all-time, your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
trader jake said:
It's water under the bridge now, but Philly really should have figured out a way to pry Kyle Lowry out of Toronto.
problem is they did, but Ujiri got scared and backed out. 15 minutes after trade deadline he said he should have taken the deal

You think Ben isn't even a starter in the league?  I think every NBA player and coach in the league disagrees with you. But hey, you know more then all of them. 
I think I've been right on Ben's lack of work ethic from the start. If you need to be constantly babied, can't make FTs and you are only good defensively do to the team defense then yeah you shouldn't be a starter. Why should he start if he can't put the work in? Talent alone doesn't mean you deserve to start. Put in the work. The dude needs to be traded if the team wants any chance to win and maybe get a coach who doesn't choke under the pressure. Doc is still living off that one title over a decade later and hasn't don't anything much since cave under the pressure. 

Want the real reason DOC Was HIRED? It was because Ben Simmons has to be coddled constantly. Brown made Simmons cry and he threw a tantrum and didn't shoot for a month after he was called out. Josh Harris has zero idea how to run the ORG. The plan was to tank, hope for great talent then hope that talent succeeds and they bring in Star players. Well the plan somewhat backfired. They ended up with the most overrated player and crybaby today in Simmons, A very dominated C in Joel WHEN HEALTHY (Keyword When) and might not have many yrs left to play, some decent young players, and an overpaid B Level player in Tobias Harris because an elite player like Jimmy Butler saw how disorganized the team was and said F this sh** I'm not staying here. 

I think I've been right on Ben's lack of work ethic from the start. If you need to be constantly babied, can't make FTs and you are only good defensively do to the team defense then yeah you shouldn't be a starter. Why should he start if he can't put the work in? Talent alone doesn't mean you deserve to start. Put in the work. The dude needs to be traded if the team wants any chance to win and maybe get a coach who doesn't choke under the pressure. Doc is still living off that one title over a decade later and hasn't don't anything much since cave under the pressure. 

Want the real reason DOC Was HIRED? It was because Ben Simmons has to be coddled constantly. Brown made Simmons cry and he threw a tantrum and didn't shoot for a month after he was called out. Josh Harris has zero idea how to run the ORG. The plan was to tank, hope for great talent then hope that talent succeeds and they bring in Star players. Well the plan somewhat backfired. They ended up with the most overrated player and crybaby today in Simmons, A very dominated C in Joel WHEN HEALTHY (Keyword When) and might not have many yrs left to play, some decent young players, and an overpaid B Level player in Tobias Harris because an elite player like Jimmy Butler saw how disorganized the team was and said F this sh** I'm not staying here. 
No one reads your posts. 

How many posts have you made this year about one team you don't cheer for vs the team you cheer for?  More Sixers or Bulls posts?
I honestly don't really know. I'm not in this thread constantly. The Bulls aren't playing right now so why would I make any posts on them right now with the playoffs on. Nothing really going on news wise with the team. Maybe Happy Birthday Billy Donovan a few weeks ago, Coby White just had Successful Shoulder surgery should be ready for the season, Pippen is apparently coming out with a book on his Basketball days (Probably mostly stories we've already heard about), Vasilije Micic who is owned by the Thunder Is of interest to upgrade the PG position. 

I mean CHI Bulls wise not much to talk about. No 1st rounder since we traded for Vucevic who I'm happy to have so nothing draft wise to get excited for. Most FA rumors haven't event started yet. I mean what do you really want me to post about? Hey check out this cool Zach LaVine dunk reel or workout video? 

I mean I made a Bulls related post saying I hope the Knicks have success do to their Coach and DROSE. 

I honestly don't really know. I'm not in this thread constantly. The Bulls aren't playing right now so why would I make any posts on them right now with the playoffs on. Nothing really going on news wise with the team. Maybe Happy Birthday Billy Donovan a few weeks ago, Coby White just had Successful Shoulder surgery should be ready for the season, Pippen is apparently coming out with a book on his Basketball days (Probably mostly stories we've already heard about), Vasilije Micic who is owned by the Thunder Is of interest to upgrade the PG position. 

I mean CHI Bulls wise not much to talk about. No 1st rounder since we traded for Vucevic who I'm happy to have so nothing draft wise to get excited for. Most FA rumors haven't event started yet. I mean what do you really want me to post about? Hey check out this cool Zach LaVine dunk reel or workout video? 

I mean I made a Bulls related post saying I hope the Knicks have success do to their Coach and DROSE. 
Because you don't post about them all year and 90 percent of your posts are about a team you don't even like. Or so long that no one reads them. 

i don't think i have ever seen so many people so gleeful and happy when a team loses. There is like 1-2 Hawks fans in here and like 30+ anti-Sixers fans.  :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread