What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (12 Viewers)

When did this guy join the thread and decide to make 50% of the posts about himself? Give it a rest I can't even use ignore because the pages is full of "you've chosen to ..." things.
*crickets*

You seem to be the new one here, I've been here for years.  

*crickets*

You seem to be the new one here, I've been here for years.  
Hey youngblood. Check that ego, especially when you can look at people's join dates and get yourself a history lesson. I stopped posting in the thread when I started working in the NBA, but still follow it. You should know, your takes have sounded like the ramblings of an illiterate child for a few pages now. Some advice? Quit before you get yourself or the thread timed out.

Hey youngblood. Check that ego, especially when you can look at people's join dates and get yourself a history lesson. I stopped posting in the thread when I started working in the NBA, but still follow it. You should know, your takes have sounded like the ramblings of an illiterate child for a few pages now. Some advice? Quit before you get yourself or the thread timed out.
Well if you've followed the thread, you should know I've posted for years in it and did not "just join". But sure keep up your pompous attitude and juvenile personal insults. 

I'll pass on your advice. If people want to clog the thread by trolling and fishing, I'll happily respond to each one. Next. 

They’re doing surprisingly well despite how poorly Braxton Key has been playing (only 4pts and 2reb per, sheesh). Isaiah Joe has been a nice surprise for them though. 
wow, didn't anticipate non-Sixers fans paying much attn. Very glad Isaiah Joe is continuing to grow, and looking forward to when he weighs more than 120 pounds.

But also super excited for my man B-Ball Paul  :fro:

Can we also please stop openly inviting trolls for the purpose of engaging them.  Arguably worse, IMO, even with the primary offenders on ignore it makes this thread borderline unreadable.
Love how your answer to Joe saying "do not troll" is "well they're asking to be trolled". People trolling are grown up, they can just stop fishing and trolling. 

If the thread is unreadable for you than maybe look at the people trolling as the issue instead of just blaming those who respond to it. 

wow, didn't anticipate non-Sixers fans paying much attn. Very glad Isaiah Joe is continuing to grow, and looking forward to when he weighs more than 120 pounds.

But also super excited for my man B-Ball Paul  :fro:
is there any real possibility that the G League becomes a true developmental minor league like baseball or hockey have?

seems like the NBA is hyper focused on the 1-3 unicorns that emerge every few years. if a guy doesn't display some hyper-specific individual skill then they're tossed aside pretty quickly. they aren't given a chance to develop and round out actual basketball playing ability,

if you are an athletic freak you're getting drafted and teams will give you a couple months to work out. if you don't, off to the next team, etc. 

if you aren't an athletic freak.... you better be an absolute marksman from three to even get a sniff.

if you don't exceed all the athletic measurables (small forward must be 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan, etc.), but you can just play basketball and make correct decisions on the court to put yourself in position to score/rebound/pass at a high level....... maybe Merrill Lynch is a better career?

i know it's a bit  "basketball was better when i was young..." but we've lost guys like Kevin Duckworth and Dale Davis. or Terry Porter and Bill Laimbeer (names off the top of my head) who weren't physical freaks, but who just played basketball and executed their roles at a high level.

now you have to be athletic enough to dunk from half court, or be 6'11" with PG skills. there isn't any in between. you just have to be a superb athlete and the NBA figures they can teach you how to dribble, pass, play defense, shoot.. even though the NBA isn't a teaching league.

is there any real possibility that the G League becomes a true developmental minor league like baseball or hockey have?

seems like the NBA is hyper focused on the 1-3 unicorns that emerge every few years. if a guy doesn't display some hyper-specific individual skill then they're tossed aside pretty quickly. they aren't given a chance to develop and round out actual basketball playing ability,

if you are an athletic freak you're getting drafted and teams will give you a couple months to work out. if you don't, off to the next team, etc. 

if you aren't an athletic freak.... you better be an absolute marksman from three to even get a sniff.

if you don't exceed all the athletic measurables (small forward must be 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan, etc.), but you can just play basketball and make correct decisions on the court to put yourself in position to score/rebound/pass at a high level....... maybe Merrill Lynch is a better career?

i know it's a bit  "basketball was better when i was young..." but we've lost guys like Kevin Duckworth and Dale Davis. or Terry Porter and Bill Laimbeer (names off the top of my head) who weren't physical freaks, but who just played basketball and executed their roles at a high level.

now you have to be athletic enough to dunk from half court, or be 6'11" with PG skills. there isn't any in between. you just have to be a superb athlete and the NBA figures they can teach you how to dribble, pass, play defense, shoot.. even though the NBA isn't a teaching league.
The G-League problem is twofold, IMO. 

First is finances as they just don't sell enough tickets or merch sales and have near zero broadcasting revenue to be anything but a net negative on the income sheet. 

The second is competition, because we already have a defacto American minor league system in the NCAA that is wildly popular and the best showcase spot around for guys aged 19-22.  Also, there are lots of Euroleagues where a player of interest can go and improve and be seen playing against other grown men in a professional environment.

Throwing a lot of resources into a G-league just doesn't make much sense.

The G-League problem is twofold, IMO. 

First is finances as they just don't sell enough tickets or merch sales and have near zero broadcasting revenue to be anything but a net negative on the income sheet. 

The second is competition, because we already have a defacto American minor league system in the NCAA that is wildly popular and the best showcase spot around for guys aged 19-22.  Also, there are lots of Euroleagues where a player of interest can go and improve and be seen playing against other grown men in a professional environment.

Throwing a lot of resources into a G-league just doesn't make much sense.
not knowing enough about how baseball and hockey minor leagues.. how do those survive? 

we have local MLB affiliated minor league and a local non-affiliated (i believe) minor league hockey league for kids that are between 17-20 years old (approximately) and both do well. the hockey team sends kids to the NHL and even coaches but i don't think it's a direct feeder relationship.

is it the cities these G league teams are in that aren't a good fit? 

maybe it really is just that the NCAA is the de facto minors, but it stops at 22-23.  there's no way to effectively continue developing. at least not in a league that focuses on development and teaching.

not knowing enough about how baseball and hockey minor leagues.. how do those survive? 

we have local MLB affiliated minor league and a local non-affiliated (i believe) minor league hockey league for kids that are between 17-20 years old (approximately) and both do well. the hockey team sends kids to the NHL and even coaches but i don't think it's a direct feeder relationship.

is it the cities these G league teams are in that aren't a good fit? 

maybe it really is just that the NCAA is the de facto minors, but it stops at 22-23.  there's no way to effectively continue developing. at least not in a league that focuses on development and teaching.
i think the G league is becoming more of a minor league based off the change in requirements for the draft allowing teams to draft younger players again. A good example is the Sixers who for 2 years now basically stick their 2nd round picks in the G league (or on 2-way contracts) to get more playing time. Shake Milton is a good example of a guy the G-league helped quite a bit because he would have struggled with playing time on the Sixers last year, but a year in the G-league helped him a bunch.

But i would say it is less like a minor league in that we won't see guys playing on team for 5+ years like we see in NHL minor leagues and baseball as well. Maybe one day, but like Jayrod said the NCAA has been more of the minor league then it is with those other sports. i think it may go that route at some point, but who knows. 

for now, the G league is basically for guys who need more playing time and development and have the fringe possibility of being an NBA player, most likely a bench or 2nd unit guy

NBA just loves to milk money from it's fan base with making so many alt. jerseys. Half of them always come off as crap, and it is just funny how it is pushed in seemingly the only reason for it is to take more money from it's fans

https://twitter.com/NickDePaula/status/1369709740784185346?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1369709740784185346|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2935475-lakers-nets-among-nba-earned-jerseys-released-to-honor-2020-playoff-teams

And is it me, or does the Jazz new jersey look very, very similar to the Supersonics? 

NBA just loves to milk money from it's fan base with making so many alt. jerseys. Half of them always come off as crap, and it is just funny how it is pushed in seemingly the only reason for it is to take more money from it's fans

https://twitter.com/NickDePaula/status/1369709740784185346?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1369709740784185346|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2935475-lakers-nets-among-nba-earned-jerseys-released-to-honor-2020-playoff-teams

And is it me, or does the Jazz new jersey look very, very similar to the Supersonics? 
The Clippers, Nets and Blazers look like they accidentally took the picture in black and white.  They are monochrome on a grey mannequin.

Hadn't seen it posted or discussed here yet, but the talk in Boston today is that the C's appear to have their sights set on acquiring Harrison Barnes from Sacramento to use up their trade exception.

Disagree with this, but I'm too tired. 

i've also heard them with Vuc, and pretty much every player in the NBA not named AD or LeBron now. the C's front office PR gme is strong.

In all honesty, i am not sure what the C's can offer back in return. Trade exception isn't really all that exciting to get unless you have a specific use for it in mind. their assets are not wonderful with the last 3-4 drafts

i've also heard them with Vuc, and pretty much every player in the NBA not named AD or LeBron now. the C's front office PR gme is strong.

In all honesty, i am not sure what the C's can offer back in return. Trade exception isn't really all that exciting to get unless you have a specific use for it in mind. their assets are not wonderful with the last 3-4 drafts
as i said here a coupla days ago, i'd give up Timelord+ for Vuc if coach has a scheme for him. i wouldn't like it, but i'd do it

as i said here a coupla days ago, i'd give up Timelord+ for Vuc if coach has a scheme for him. i wouldn't like it, but i'd do it
i'm just not sure what the Magic would really want back to equate to Vuc. The picks aren't that great if you give them Vuc with JB and Tatum. 

I actually was reading today about  recent interview with Danny Ainge who was saying they almost got Harden, but the price was a bit too much. I wonder if he actually makes any of these calls

Hadn't seen it posted or discussed here yet, but the talk in Boston today is that the C's appear to have their sights set on acquiring Harrison Barnes from Sacramento to use up their trade exception.
It’s not real clear to me what Boston has/is willing to trade. 

i'm just not sure what the Magic would really want back to equate to Vuc. The picks aren't that great if you give them Vuc with JB and Tatum. 

I actually was reading today about  recent interview with Danny Ainge who was saying they almost got Harden, but the price was a bit too much. I wonder if he actually makes any of these calls
Timelord has been one of the most exciting bigs on the floor this season, growing every game. he just has a ways to go, which the Green may or may not be able to afford. Magic would be damned fools not to take Rob & a 1 for Vuc, just as we'd be damned fools to trade him for less.

NBA trade deadline season is always fun before it, and almost always a letdown. the b.s. spewed is always so crazy, i don't know if there are so many rumors and media buying into teams' PR or what. 

I do like when some teams come out and let the fanbase know about other teams' front offices. I was just remembering the news circulating around Jimmy Butler leaving Minnesota, and how Pat Riley was throwing a tantrum about how the Wolves front office screwed it up

As a Sixers' fan, i like this trade deadline better than the last few. Sure the Sixers made some big moves, but it is easier with a guy like Morrey running the ship. Not saying he is a miracle worker or anything, you just know he will likely make a move and shouldn't be irresponsible with how much he gives up. 

The idea of the Sixers getting Lowry sounds nice, but just feels like that deal will be tough to pull off. With Lowry selling his home in Toronto (for whatever that is worth) could be a sign he is looking to leave the team, and you would think the Raptors would want to make a move rather than lose Lowry in free agency after this season. I do like how PJ Tucker has identified the 6ers as the team he wants to join, and the interest swirling around George HIll,

Delonw Wright and Wayne Ellington are fun one;s to think about too, but out of all the one's i have heard about over the past few weeks, getting Will Barton from Denver seems to be the one that makes a lot of sense. not sure what the SIxers want to give up, but for me, i would rather hold onto Isaiah Joe, B-Ball Paul and Shake Milton for simple salary cap reasons. i'm sure some young guys may move, and if Thybulle is one of them he will be missed. 

I do think the SIxers will do something

Not sure if Lowry will get moved at trade deadline

Don't think the Celtics will do anything beside something very minor.

holy Wolves wtf
looks like new coach got some practice time w his scrubs and, in Layman terms, decided to get some Huskie action. I aint seen Nowell play yet, but i been waiting for McDaniels to sink in w his new coach. Rubio/Nowell/Edwards/McDaniels/KAT deserves a run b4 DAR gets back

I don't know about that.  I mean when is the last time you took a bath OR did a Sudoku puzzle, much less at the same time?  Sounds pretty ingenious to me.
the way my kid takes baths you'd think they were the greatest thing to ever happen in the universe

she doesn't even refresh the water to heat it up. she just likes hanging out and singing to herself in the cold water.

Frostillicus said:
holy Wolves wtf
Yeah that was tough to watch. :X   As well as my Pels played against the Jazz, we played just as poorly against the Wolves. :wall:  Young team, I know, but man, when we've looked bad this year, we've looked really bad. Still not sold on our coach choice, but trying to be patient since it is a bunch of youngsters (5th youngest team in the league IIRC). But last night, it wasn't so much coaching. We couldn't even complete a pass half the time. Just glad nobody got hurt. Onward to the Cavs tonight. 

Users who are viewing this thread