Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?


bostonfred

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

One trip-up for us with condiments and flavorings is avoiding sodium -- either sodium chloride (salt) or monosodium glutamate. Both are close to verboten. Turmeric and diced peppers are winners. No pickled jalapeno or BBQ sauce, though.

Going to try making our own salsa at some point ... will check out the sodium content of major brands, though I'm not hopeful. We have family friends who run a Central American restaurant ... might ask them to whip us up a special salsa recipe or pico de gallo for us sans salt.

Whole Foods sells Num Num sauce which is fantastic and low in sodium compared to most condiment sauces like ketchup and BBQ sauces.

https://numnumsauce.com/

Coconut Aminos for pan roasting kale, sweet potatoes, onions etc. It still has sodium but a very small amount on pan baked foods should not contain too much. 

People often avoid soy sauce due to its high sodium (salt) content. Coconut aminos has 90 mg of sodium per teaspoon (5 ml), while traditional soy sauce contains about 280 mg of sodium in the same serving size (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source).

If you’re trying to reduce sodium in your diet, coconut aminos may be a good lower-salt substitute for soy sauce. However, it’s not a low-sodium food and should still be used sparingly, as the salt adds up quickly if you eat more than 1–2 teaspoons (5–10 ml) at a time.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still keeping on, using MFP to track calories and exercise.  Still off the booze and trying to limit sodium.

@Doug B I got these DAK's spices when I started watching my sodium.  I was pre-hypertensive at the time.  They are all salt-free.  I grill a lot and use these on chicken/fish/vegetables/etc.  They provide flavor w/out the salt.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Doug B said:

One trip-up for us with condiments and flavorings is avoiding sodium -- either sodium chloride (salt) or monosodium glutamate. Both are close to verboten. Turmeric and diced peppers are winners. No pickled jalapeno or BBQ sauce, though.

Going to try making our own salsa at some point ... will check out the sodium content of major brands, though I'm not hopeful. We have family friends who run a Central American restaurant ... might ask them to whip us up a special salsa recipe or pico de gallo for us sans salt.

As someone with high blood pressure, I've decided to make a huge push to control my sodium intake.  You probably know that there is tons of sodium in just about everything.  I actually never realized that until I started tracking.  My new daily goal is 2300 mg (though eventually I would like to lower that goal).  Here are some examples that shocked me - 2 tablespoons of Italian salad dressing (500+ mg), 1 ts of Frank's hot sauce (200 mg), 1 ts of salt (2300 mg), 4 kalamata olives (200 mg).  And the list goes on an on.  I always thought that eating a salad with dressing was a very healthy lunch option.  Now I know that it kind of depends on the dressing and whatever else goes in the salad.

The thing that has been working for me is planning my meals in advance and tracking the amount of sodium in everything that I eat.  The key is try to avoid anything in a box or can (I know easier said than done).  

If I eat a higher sodium breakfast, I know that I need to cut back at lunch or dinner.  It's become sort of like a game for me where I know that I have a target to hit.  Now my salads are dressed with balsamic vinegar (no sodium) and they taste just as good.  I avoid salt and hot sauce as seasonings and supplement with pepper, italian seasoning and paprika instead.  My breakfast is usually very low in sodium (oats and berries).  I try to leave myself 600-800 mg for lunch (easy to do if you load up on salmon, flounder, etc for example).  That leaves me room for a good snack or two and the opportunity to splurge a little with dinner.  

I haven't measured my BP since starting this (still early) but I feel better physically and mentally.  We do get takeout once a week and that absolutely kills my goals to stay under 2300.  But one day a week (compared to where I was) is a massive improvement for me.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

Trying to make a long story really short ... feel like a new dieter like me is "invading" this thread because I still don't yet feel committed to a real life change. But gotta start somewhere:

Short version - My wife and I are both in our late 40s, obese and both have high blood pressure. Little (but not no) physical activity. Been that way for years, not a recent thing. Last week, she had an edema scare in one of her legs. After seeing doctors, she put her foot down and has put us both on the DASH diet. That started this past Sunday 1/24 so right now we are just getting our feet wet.

Anyway ... has anyone in this thread (or one of the older threads?) started their healthy-weight journey from a weight above 300 lbs? I could be wrong, but intuitively it seems the considerations for dropping a quick 10-15 lbs are very different from attempting to shed 1/3 of one's bodyweight. Was wondering if anyone participating in this thread has been there.

Thanks for any knowledge or advice anyone can impart.

I started at 284.6 and while my original goal was weight loss more than blood pressure or other objectives, my experience is well documented and probably relevant for you and your wife.

I was way out of shape. I never really lifted or did yoga or rowed... i had run a half marathon about 15 years ago, then did occasional 5ks, and ultimately petered out. When I got started again a year and a half ago, I couldn't run a mile without stopping. Now I run 5ks up to 5 times a week on the treadmill, own a rower and do 15 to 40 minutes to cross train with the running, lift weights and do yoga. I have dropped over 20 percent of my weight and close to 25 percent, and will ultimately end up down about 100 lbs when all is said and done. I didn't start tracking sodium until recently but I do track it now, as well as protein, fiber, and of course calories, and i don't have any problems avoiding cheating. 

None of this happened overnight, and it has nothing to do with my willpower. It is a set of learned skills and a clearly defined process that I've built for myself with help from some smart people and good accountability buddies.  I've posted about my process a lot in this thread but I'd be happy to talk about it with you if you're interested. I'm not selling anything even though it totally sounds like I am. I'm not expecting you to do the same things I'm doing or to follow my approach and we do have somewhat different goals.  But I think you're exactly right that there's a very different approach when you're 25 lbs overweight vs over 100 and I'm happy to help anyone who is starting that long process to define their own process. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

Down to brass tacks -- is intermittent fasting, at this moment, a thing mainstream doctors/dieticians would recommend to patients trying to go from profound obesity to 'normal'? How accepted in the medical community is intermittent fasting for major weight loss?

And really ... what all counts as 'intermittent fasting'? No solid food for one or more days? Solid food every day, but only during proscribed hours of the day (say, 10 am - 6 pm)? Both? Neither? Other things?

It's very simple, you eat dinner at like 6:00 like a normal person but then the kitchen is closed. You don't jet stream in for a 9:00 2nd meal or whatever you have convinced yourself you can get away with and I am talking alcohol at this point too. 

You get up and you can have coffee/tea/water until around Noonish and then you can break the fast. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

for a moment but I regretted even before I finished it. but it'll be ok. 

When I want something, I eat it and pay the price...this morning I had to go get medicine for the Mrs...I might have mentioned she is under so much stress that she didn't digest her food last night, I was up at 3am cleaning up vomit and worse...i would prefer she just ate things she enjoys right now vs being forced to eat things she doesn't want right now however last night has me rethinking about putting my foot down. I am such a sucker when she frowns and wants to hit happy hour. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

It's very simple, you eat dinner at like 6:00 like a normal person but then the kitchen is closed. You don't jet stream in for a 9:00 2nd meal or whatever you have convinced yourself you can get away with and I am talking alcohol at this point too. 

You get up and you can have coffee/tea/water until around Noonish and then you van break the fast. 

That's a lot like practicing Ramadan in reverse (can only eat when the sun is down).

...

EDIT: Alcohol for me is a few-times-a-year thing, so no issues there.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

When I want something, I eat it and pay the price...this morning I had to go get medicine for the Mrs...I might have mentioned she is under so much stress that she didn't digest her food last night, I was up at 3am cleaning up vomit and worse...i would prefer she just ate things she enjoys right now vs being forced to eat things she doesn't want right now however last night has me rethinking about putting my foot down. I am such a sucker when she frowns and wants to hit happy hour. 

funny. that's how I ended up at chick fil a. My wife is a nurse. Got her 2nd vaccine shot yesterday afternoon and woke up feeling pretty crappy today so stayed home. Went and picked up something fun for lunch instead of making a sandwich or something here. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Iguana said:

funny. that's how I ended up at chick fil a. My wife is a nurse. Got her 2nd vaccine shot yesterday afternoon and woke up feeling pretty crappy today so stayed home. Went and picked up something fun for lunch instead of making a sandwich or something here. 

And there's nothing wrong with that. Part of a good marriage is being understanding thru thick and thin...these shoes or roles have been reversed many times, I'm not complaining. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 23         206.1                -20.0                                          1520
  • Jan 24         204.8                -21.3                                          1700
  • Jan 25         203.7                -22.4                                          1210
  • Jan 26         203.2                -22.9                                          1450
  • Jan 27         203.0                -23.1                                          1650
  • Jan 28         203.2                -22.9

I'm going to have to figure something out with fiber and the pooping.  No poops again for 3 days.  Doesn't feel backed up but it just doesn't seem right.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

As someone with high blood pressure, I've decided to make a huge push to control my sodium intake.  You probably know that there is tons of sodium in just about everything.  I actually never realized that until I started tracking.  My new daily goal is 2300 mg (though eventually I would like to lower that goal).  Here are some examples that shocked me - 2 tablespoons of Italian salad dressing (500+ mg), 1 ts of Frank's hot sauce (200 mg), 1 ts of salt (2300 mg), 4 kalamata olives (200 mg).  And the list goes on an on.  I always thought that eating a salad with dressing was a very healthy lunch option.  Now I know that it kind of depends on the dressing and whatever else goes in the salad.

The sodium levels that surprised me are in regular ol' bread. Whether the cheap store-brand white loaves or Mama Marsiglia's artisanal loafs ... it's all got a heavy load of sodium. I have eaten no-salt bread and crackers before -- basically baked flour-&-water paste. It's startling how different they taste.

We do have a bottle of ranch and French dressing in the fridge. My wife won't touch either now, but I've measured out a teaspoon (labeled serving size = 1 tablespoon) to use on "loaded" salads twice this week. "Loaded" meaning a chopped hard-boiled egg, sliced mushrooms, and half an avocado added on top of the usual romaine/cucumbers/tomatoes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, Doug B said:

The sodium levels that surprised me are in regular ol' bread. Whether the cheap store-brand white loaves or Mama Marsiglia's artisanal loafs ... it's all got a heavy load of sodium. I have eaten no-salt bread and crackers before -- basically baked flour-&-water paste. It's startling how different they taste.

We do have a bottle of ranch and French dressing in the fridge. My wife won't touch either now, but I've measured out a teaspoon (labeled serving size = 1 tablespoon) to use on "loaded" salads twice this week. "Loaded" meaning a chopped hard-boiled egg, sliced mushrooms, and half an avocado added on top of the usual romaine/cucumbers/tomatoes.

One thing that got me off traditional salad dressing is realizing how awesome guacamole salads are.  I make an quick guac by crushing up an avocado and mixing it with salsa and/or pico de Gallo.   I'll occasionally use balsamic vinegar with olive oil as I love a good caprese salad.  

As for bread, I don't really see a use for it unless I'm on the go and need something to hold a sandwich/burger together.  At home, I just put it over a bed of rice, salad, etc.  I'd rather save those calories/sugars for something I really enjoy because bread in general is bad news.  

Edited by Major
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

None of this happened overnight, and it has nothing to do with my willpower.

This is a good message ... something I really needed to hear.

I've told myself for a long time that if healthy eating/serious weight loss was going to depend on my willpower, it was not going to happen. Full stop. I've never felt that I've had the capacity to change, and I'm still not sure I have that capacity now.

But instead ... if there's another way around ... not a shortcut or a mental trick, just some kind of a sustainable approach that can still support healthier eating ... that can work, I think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Major said:

One thing that got me off traditional salad dressing is realizing how awesome guacamole salads are.  I make an quick guac by crushing up an avocado and mixing it with salsa and/or pico de Gallo.   I'll occasionally use balsamic vinegar with olive oil as I love a good caprese salad. 

Balsamic + olive oil has been my wife's go-to when we have salads -- even before the DASH diet.

Mashed avocado as a dressing base is genius. That's kind of what ends up happening to chopped-up avocado pieces in a salad, anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Doug B said:

The sodium levels that surprised me are in regular ol' bread. Whether the cheap store-brand white loaves or Mama Marsiglia's artisanal loafs ... it's all got a heavy load of sodium. I have eaten no-salt bread and crackers before -- basically baked flour-&-water paste. It's startling how different they taste.

We do have a bottle of ranch and French dressing in the fridge. My wife won't touch either now, but I've measured out a teaspoon (labeled serving size = 1 tablespoon) to use on "loaded" salads twice this week. "Loaded" meaning a chopped hard-boiled egg, sliced mushrooms, and half an avocado added on top of the usual romaine/cucumbers/tomatoes.

Agreed - I was shocked to learn how much sodium was in bread.  But you can still enjoy it on occasion.  Yesterday my dinner was 1 and a half grilled cheese sandwiches (fairly small Panera slices - close to 800 mg in all).  We complemented that with plantain chips (very low sodium).  But by planning ahead, I knew what to eat for breakfast and lunch and still had room for a cherry strudel topped with ice cream (since my sugar intake the rest of the day was fairly low).  It's all about planning and preparation. It also helps to have the significant other on board (which unfortunately I don't).  

Edited by fred_1_15301
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Doug B said:

Anyway ... has anyone in this thread (or one of the older threads?) started their healthy-weight journey from a weight above 300 lbs? I could be wrong, but intuitively it seems the considerations for dropping a quick 10-15 lbs are very different from attempting to shed 1/3 of one's bodyweight. Was wondering if anyone participating in this thread has been there.

I'm perhaps not that too far off from what you're attempting. I've been sparse on details in this thread, but will bare some of my soul here. I'm 5'8". I played college football at 172. I ran several marathons after graduating college. I was in great shape.

18 months ago I hit 240. So realistically, I need to lose 70-80 pounds to get back to a healthy weight. So roughly 1/3 of my body weight, which sounds like it is somewhat close to what you are hoping to do. 

I went from 240 to low 220s summer/fall of 2019 mostly by eating less. We had another kid and my weight got back up to around 230 in summer of 2020 and stayed that way until I joined this thread for Fred's 10 pound weight loss challenge between Thanksgiving and Christmas. During that month, I lost 9ish pounds (down to 220) without working out once and tracking calorie intake via MyFitnessPal. My problem has always been that I snack too much, which I knew, but when I tracked it I was conscious of just how much I was snacking. 

I started running again the first of the year.  Still tracking all of my food in MFP.  I went on a bender with chocolate yesterday and today. Ooops. I tell you that to say that I still have moments of weakness. But I did log all of that chocolate into MFP and saw I ended up both days around 2500 calories. I'm now down to 213ish at the end of January. 

I started with a goal to lose 10 pounds over 4 or 5 weeks (Thanksgiving to Christmas). Didn't quite hit that, but made some progress. I took a week off from thinking about my weight between Christmas and New Years, but I still counted calories so I didn't go too wild. I set another goal to lose 10 pounds between New Years and Valentines Day. I think I'll hit that (even considering yesterday's bender). After Valentine's Day, I'll probably give myself a mental break again but will still count calories, just like I did between Christmas and New Years. Then I'll set another goal to lose 10 pounds before Easter. I'm just picking some short term goals that I can mentally handle. In the past, I've said I want to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year. It was too far out and too much weight, and I never really made any progress. But for me, short term goals with attainable numbers are something I can mentally achieve and actually stick to. So I'm doing a series of short term goals and will just re-visit at the end of each period. 

Anyway, not sure that's helpful. But you're not alone and you can do it. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corporation said:
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 23         206.1                -20.0                                          1520
  • Jan 24         204.8                -21.3                                          1700
  • Jan 25         203.7                -22.4                                          1210
  • Jan 26         203.2                -22.9                                          1450
  • Jan 27         203.0                -23.1                                          1650
  • Jan 28         203.2                -22.9

I'm going to have to figure something out with fiber and the pooping.  No poops again for 3 days.  Doesn't feel backed up but it just doesn't seem right.

You're doing incredible and also because you did it sure and steady, great chance you will continue to move towards your goal but more importantly I always say just don't roll backwards. It's so hard to lose the 1st/2nd/3rd go around etc...just don't go back. I had to take it off in layers over long period of time until last year when faced with the pandemic, no politics attached but I could clearly hear the medical experts zone in that most folks in relatively good shape were less likely to catch this. I live in South Florida, a tourist mecca and folks from the North flock here, I knew better than to fatten up as many of my friends have done and some have suffered thru this pandemic as a result. If you cannot appreciate that and probably the biggest motivating factor was that I've worked too hard in life to let this thing get me quietly in the night, I'm going down my way, on a tennis court with a whip stick made of steel in my hand or riding the last few miles on a cycle with the wind in my face or at my back, catch my drift? 

I am more committed than ever to getting thru this pandemic alive and hopefully one of the folks who never carried this disease. There's too many variables for me and I don't want to find out, so better for me to keep going head first into my routine of exercise and do my sipping at home, eat at home or quick take out and just keep to myself until we get thru this over the next 12-24 months, if this is my war in life how lucky I am in general. That's how I choose to look at things, whenever we pull thru and America/World always will, how great life is going to be and I will simply be that much ahead as I move forward. As I have mentioned a couple times, I simply have stop watching TV outside of live football games, it's simply a waste of my time and I also feel like social media is mind control of sorts, the less I see the better. I just had lunch this afternoon with a fellow who owns a shipping company and I do some consulting work with him, we play Tennis together, etc...I stress that my life is pretty good in general despite the stress at times and I feel obligated to continue to keep myself in relatively decent shape, it's foolish on my part to not want to be healthy, my life in the last 8-9 months despite the pandemic has gotten better for the most part. I have to think health has had a major hand in that. I would encourage even my worst enemies in here to stop the paths they are on and work on themselves, the world would be a better place for it. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I started at 284.6 and while my original goal was weight loss more than blood pressure or other objectives, my experience is well documented and probably relevant for you and your wife.

I was way out of shape. I never really lifted or did yoga or rowed... i had run a half marathon about 15 years ago, then did occasional 5ks, and ultimately petered out. When I got started again a year and a half ago, I couldn't run a mile without stopping. Now I run 5ks up to 5 times a week on the treadmill, own a rower and do 15 to 40 minutes to cross train with the running, lift weights and do yoga. I have dropped over 20 percent of my weight and close to 25 percent, and will ultimately end up down about 100 lbs when all is said and done. I didn't start tracking sodium until recently but I do track it now, as well as protein, fiber, and of course calories, and i don't have any problems avoiding cheating. 

None of this happened overnight, and it has nothing to do with my willpower. It is a set of learned skills and a clearly defined process that I've built for myself with help from some smart people and good accountability buddies.  I've posted about my process a lot in this thread but I'd be happy to talk about it with you if you're interested. I'm not selling anything even though it totally sounds like I am. I'm not expecting you to do the same things I'm doing or to follow my approach and we do have somewhat different goals.  But I think you're exactly right that there's a very different approach when you're 25 lbs overweight vs over 100 and I'm happy to help anyone who is starting that long process to define their own process. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

 

I really never asked, you were 284+ at one time? That's incredible how similar we were, every bit as heavy myself at one time. That is amazing, 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super simple beef stew just 18 oz chuck roast cubes, a bag of steamable baby Yukon gold potatoes, 4 single serve packages of baby carrots, a carton of stock, and seasoning. Browned the meat on high with just a tsp of oil in a Dutch oven, added all the other ingredients raw, and covered then cooked on 3 for an hour and a half, it came out great super tender although most of the liquid boiled off.

About 441 calories per serving with a ton of protein, 7g fiber and low sodium across the board. 

I didn't use any fancy seasoning, just black pepper, onion and garlic powder, but totally would use real onions and garlic and a bay leaf if I wanted...  maybe dredge the meat in flour or make a slurry with some corn starch and stock to thicken the stock into a gravy, maybe some tomato paste and worcestershire sauce if i weren't cutting back salt, maybe some Guinness or wine if i wasn't off booze for a couple months... this was good, and healthy, and it scratched an itch for a comfort food i usually make once or twice year. 

I had enough calories left for dinner, but I went for a run and earned enough for a second bowl. 

136g protein is solid or even high 

24g fiber is a little low but not bad

1355mg sodium is my lowest in a long time

32 days no alcohol, no going over calories. 65 days until Easter. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Doug B said:

This is a good message ... something I really needed to hear.

I've told myself for a long time that if healthy eating/serious weight loss was going to depend on my willpower, it was not going to happen. Full stop. I've never felt that I've had the capacity to change, and I'm still not sure I have that capacity now.

But instead ... if there's another way around ... not a shortcut or a mental trick, just some kind of a sustainable approach that can still support healthier eating ... that can work, I think.

I didn’t start as high as you but my journey has been documented over the years, mainly in the Otis diet thread.  I lost 1/3 my body weight.  Over 240 (not ever sure my highest) - got down to 158.  2020 wasn’t kind - put half back on.  As you lose really think about an eventual maintenance mode if you spend time “on a diet”.  Ideally, IMO, you make permanent changes and never look back - take your time.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Super simple beef stew just 18 oz chuck roast cubes, a bag of steamable baby Yukon gold potatoes, 4 single serve packages of baby carrots, a carton of stock, and seasoning. Browned the meat on high with just a tsp of oil in a Dutch oven, added all the other ingredients raw, and covered then cooked on 3 for an hour and a half, it came out great super tender although most of the liquid boiled off.

About 441 calories per serving with a ton of protein, 7g fiber and low sodium across the board. 

I didn't use any fancy seasoning, just black pepper, onion and garlic powder, but totally would use real onions and garlic and a bay leaf if I wanted...  maybe dredge the meat in flour or make a slurry with some corn starch and stock to thicken the stock into a gravy, maybe some tomato paste and worcestershire sauce if i weren't cutting back salt, maybe some Guinness or wine if i wasn't off booze for a couple months... this was good, and healthy, and it scratched an itch for a comfort food i usually make once or twice year. 

I had enough calories left for dinner, but I went for a run and earned enough for a second bowl. 

136g protein is solid or even high 

24g fiber is a little low but not bad

1355mg sodium is my lowest in a long time

32 days no alcohol, no going over calories. 65 days until Easter. 

I think I’m going to test out the free trial of MFP premium and see how it goes for a month.  I really like how you’ve been balancing all the nutrients (as opposed to just controlling calories).  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

As someone with high blood pressure, I've decided to make a huge push to control my sodium intake.  You probably know that there is tons of sodium in just about everything.  I actually never realized that until I started tracking.  My new daily goal is 2300 mg (though eventually I would like to lower that goal).  Here are some examples that shocked me - 2 tablespoons of Italian salad dressing (500+ mg), 1 ts of Frank's hot sauce (200 mg), 1 ts of salt (2300 mg), 4 kalamata olives (200 mg).  And the list goes on an on.  I always thought that eating a salad with dressing was a very healthy lunch option.  Now I know that it kind of depends on the dressing and whatever else goes in the salad.

The thing that has been working for me is planning my meals in advance and tracking the amount of sodium in everything that I eat.  The key is try to avoid anything in a box or can (I know easier said than done).  

If I eat a higher sodium breakfast, I know that I need to cut back at lunch or dinner.  It's become sort of like a game for me where I know that I have a target to hit.  Now my salads are dressed with balsamic vinegar (no sodium) and they taste just as good.  I avoid salt and hot sauce as seasonings and supplement with pepper, italian seasoning and paprika instead.  My breakfast is usually very low in sodium (oats and berries).  I try to leave myself 600-800 mg for lunch (easy to do if you load up on salmon, flounder, etc for example).  That leaves me room for a good snack or two and the opportunity to splurge a little with dinner.  

I haven't measured my BP since starting this (still early) but I feel better physically and mentally.  We do get takeout once a week and that absolutely kills my goals to stay under 2300.  But one day a week (compared to where I was) is a massive improvement for me.  

Well I'm an idiot.  No salt on anything.  Lawry's salt free seasoning and other spices.  But I put hot sauce like Frank's on everything.  It makes bland things taste good and I love some kick.  Looks like I'm going to have to come up with an alternative.  Denial - didn't even look at the label. Otherwise doing great.  Egg beaters for breakfast, 2 turkey rollups (low sodium boars head) with a drop of low fat mayo, then ground turkey taco lettuce wraps for dinner.  Healthy choice fudge bar.  No booze.  Recovery day and I'm OK with that.  Got back to a 45 minute Jess King Peleton ride yesterday which was great.  Back with exercise tomorrow

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2021 at 6:30 PM, MAC_32 said:

I'm wondering if I am starting to adapt to this IF lifestyle. It's been 16 hours since I ate anything and the only reason I am now is I'm about to go for a run. I feel like I could keep going without eating. Amazing how much water and black coffee staves off hunger pains.

You lift, right?  How long after breaking your fast do you workout? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, bostonfred said:

Some of the people in there have 1500 calories in maintenance mode especially smaller women. Others are bigger guys who are losing weight. 

If you're looking for subreddits,

r/loseit - general weight loss sub, has people who are anywhere from 5 lbs to hundreds of pounds overweight, lots of interesting tips and success stories as well as questions and frustrations.  Doctors often refer overweight patients here to help them along and there are some doctors who post here regularly 

r/volumeeating - focused on high satiety foods. Lots of veggie noodles and chicken broth and stuff like that.  People frequently post a picture of the 2lb plate of food that had 500 calories and they couldn't finish it.. recipes that use bulky low calorie foods... etc,, Every now and then there is something I'd actually eat

r/2000isplenty- I think that's what its called. It's a smaller sub than 1500 for people who are on maintenance or doing slower weight loss or are just bigger to begin with. 

r/fitness and r/bodyweightfitness- more focused on exercise than diet but still talk about both 

r/1500isplenty - for people sticking to about 1500 calories a day

r/intermittentfasting  - for people learning about IF

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

You lift, right?  How long after breaking your fast do you workout? 

I intend to break today's IF around noon, run about one, strength work at five, then follow with dinner. I wouldn't say that's a standard routine, but it's probably my most common one.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hit 225 at one point

Start 223 somewhere for this...

  • 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
  • 1/6 218.4
  • 1/7 218.0
  • 1/9 218.0
  • 1/15 216.8
  • 1/21 215.4
  • 1/29 214.8

Slow but somewhat sure?  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, belljr said:

Hit 225 at one point

Start 223 somewhere for this...

  • 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
  • 1/6 218.4
  • 1/7 218.0
  • 1/9 218.0
  • 1/15 216.8
  • 1/21 215.4
  • 1/29 214.8

Slow but somewhat sure?  :)

7 lbs/Mo is a pretty good clip.  Keep up the good work! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

7 lbs/Mo is a pretty good clip.  Keep up the good work! 

Been working out also - took a break last night body just needed a rest. 

Don't think I lost inches yet but can feel the tightening :lol:

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Super simple beef stew just 18 oz chuck roast cubes, a bag of steamable baby Yukon gold potatoes, 4 single serve packages of baby carrots, a carton of stock, and seasoning. Browned the meat on high with just a tsp of oil in a Dutch oven, added all the other ingredients raw, and covered then cooked on 3 for an hour and a half, it came out great super tender although most of the liquid boiled off.

I forget if you're into sous vide or not, but I make a ridiculous beef barley this way.  I prefer top round but that's mostly due to availability.  Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, habanero powder, and some Worcestershire sauce for 60 hours at 140.  Tender as all get out and super flavorful and it produces an amazing stock base as well.  I like to drain off 1/2 the stock to let the veggies marinade for a couple hours at a simmer and the other 1/2 to cook the barley in for 45 minutes before putting it all together and then diluting to an edible level.  Really puts the snap into the ingredients while the broth just does its job to act brothy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Well I'm an idiot.  No salt on anything.  Lawry's salt free seasoning and other spices.  But I put hot sauce like Frank's on everything.  It makes bland things taste good and I love some kick.  Looks like I'm going to have to come up with an alternative.  Denial - didn't even look at the label. Otherwise doing great.  Egg beaters for breakfast, 2 turkey rollups (low sodium boars head) with a drop of low fat mayo, then ground turkey taco lettuce wraps for dinner.  Healthy choice fudge bar.  No booze.  Recovery day and I'm OK with that.  Got back to a 45 minute Jess King Peleton ride yesterday which was great.  Back with exercise tomorrow

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V57XKJK/

Watch out for price spikes.  I bought mine at $26 but it's showing $36 now - this is the one pitfall of Amazon, you have to watch these things.  But I'll tell you what at $36 I would still buy it.  You only need a small pinch on anything so it will last forever - I'm going on 3 years with mine and I even carry around a small container with me at all times:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KUWUJ6/

I don't eat out like I used to but this went on everything when I did - burgers at Wendy's were never so good and an Egg McMuffin with a little dash of love was a staple before breakfast.  Asian, tacos, you name it.  The best part is this can save an absolutely bland low-cal meal.  I love it on fish in particular but I put it on everything.  I have a salt shaker with my own custom blend of salt, garlic powder, and habanero plus one with just habanero that everyone knows to avoid (it's in a Darth Vader pepper shaker so it's not like they aren't warned).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V57XKJK/

Watch out for price spikes.  I bought mine at $26 but it's showing $36 now - this is the one pitfall of Amazon, you have to watch these things.  But I'll tell you what at $36 I would still buy it.  You only need a small pinch on anything so it will last forever - I'm going on 3 years with mine and I even carry around a small container with me at all times:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KUWUJ6/

I don't eat out like I used to but this went on everything when I did - burgers at Wendy's were never so good and an Egg McMuffin with a little dash of love was a staple before breakfast.  Asian, tacos, you name it.  The best part is this can save an absolutely bland low-cal meal.  I love it on fish in particular but I put it on everything.  I have a salt shaker with my own custom blend of salt, garlic powder, and habanero plus one with just habanero that everyone knows to avoid (it's in a Darth Vader pepper shaker so it's not like they aren't warned).

Might have to give this a shot.  Is it only available online?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belljr said:

Hit 225 at one point

Start 223 somewhere for this...

  • 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
  • 1/6 218.4
  • 1/7 218.0
  • 1/9 218.0
  • 1/15 216.8
  • 1/21 215.4
  • 1/29 214.8

Slow but somewhat sure?  :)

Does this mean you got off the number you were stuck on on the scale?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Sort of fallen off a bit the last couple weeks.  Wife baked cookies...and mainly binge snacking (stupid Snyders flavored pretzel pieces).  

Try step one, stop buying stupid Snyders flavored pretzel pieces 

It makes step two, not eating them, so much easier

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I said I wouldn't measure my BP for a couple months but I couldn't resist.  Measured it 3 times yesterday and each read was around 120/80.  About a month ago, I was hovering at around 140/90.  Just shows that it's possible to lower BP pretty rapidly with some dietary change.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

Try step one, stop buying stupid Snyders flavored pretzel pieces 

It makes step two, not eating them, so much easier

That is true...bad move going to the store while hungry of course.  The good this week has been buying cauliflower to have as my afternoon snack.

Since I run or workout in the mornings...I typically eat lunch before 12.  3-4pm and I am very hungry for something to get me to our 6-6:30 dinner.  Cauliflower (either raw or roasted in a little olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper) has been tasty.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Major said:

If you're looking to drop weight, cardio while fasted is ideal.  

Yeah, looking into rowing machines for some low impact HIIT.

Also want to lift though as my son is 15 and we got a rack to do some 5x5.  Need to know how to work the calorie maintenance and the timing coming off of a fast.  Turning 50 in 6 weeks and don't want to damage my body any more than I need to ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I have a salt shaker with my own custom blend of salt, garlic powder, and habanero plus one with just habanero that everyone knows to avoid (it's in a Darth Vader pepper shaker so it's not like they aren't warned).

I bet there's no reason this can't be done with potassium chloride (aka NoSalt) instead of table salt.

I like the NoSalt better than my wife ... I bought some of it maybe a year ago to try out. By itself, it wasn't awesome, but tolerable. In foods ... it helped the flavor in a "salt-ish" way. Not exactly the same, but alright. She just thought NoSalt was foul, though ... and threw away about a 90% full container a few months ago :kicksrock:

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Try step one, stop buying stupid Snyders flavored pretzel pieces 

It makes step two, not eating them, so much easier

lol...In college we started keeping flavored rice cakes in the house so when we did bong rips we wouldn't have to make a run for the border.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I think I’m going to test out the free trial of MFP premium and see how it goes for a month.  I really like how you’ve been balancing all the nutrients (as opposed to just controlling calories).  

It's been worth it for me. I'm shopping better and eating healthier and feel awesome. The reason I'm posting more recipes recently is I'm trying to expand my dinner choices with foods that match all the stuff I'm tracking now and man it has all been good so far. The only food I don't really look forward to is my protein shakes and those aren't even bad they're just ####ty milkshakes. 

I'm going grocery shopping tonight and will try to post more healthy filling low sodium recipes that aren't too hard to cook as i make them. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Super simple beef stew just 18 oz chuck roast cubes, a bag of steamable baby Yukon gold potatoes, 4 single serve packages of baby carrots, a carton of stock, and seasoning. Browned the meat on high with just a tsp of oil in a Dutch oven, added all the other ingredients raw, and covered then cooked on 3 for an hour and a half, it came out great super tender although most of the liquid boiled off.

About 441 calories per serving with a ton of protein, 7g fiber and low sodium across the board. 

Can do this recipe as posted in the future when blood-pressure goals are reached. For now, we'd probably take some low-sodium stock and cut that maybe 2 parts water to 1 part low-sodium stock. Then go heavier on the seasoning, add some chunky-chopped onion, etc. For me, the broth would maybe have some NoSalt added, and would add whole white mushrooms to the pot late in the process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Doug B said:

Can do this recipe as posted in the future when blood-pressure goals are reached. For now, we'd probably take some low-sodium stock and cut that maybe 2 parts water to 1 part low-sodium stock. Then go heavier on the seasoning, add some chunky-chopped onion, etc. For me, the broth would maybe have some NoSalt added, and would add whole white mushrooms to the pot late in the process.

Have you also looked at anti-inflammatory foods to get the BP down?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

I bet there's no reason this can't be done with potassium chloride (aka NoSalt) instead of table salt.

I like the NoSalt better than my wife ... I bought some of it maybe a year ago to try out. By itself, it wasn't awesome, but tolerable. In foods ... it helped the flavor in a "salt-ish" way. Not exactly the same, but alright. She just thought NoSalt was foul, though ... and threw away about a 90% full container a few months ago :kicksrock:

It's been hard to kick salt and I definitely used way too much. Loved tostitos and soy sauce and literally have a sea salt grinder/shaker in the living room that I haven't used in a few weeks. 

The thing that's helping me recently isn't replacing salt but leaning into flavors that aren't supposed to have salt at more meals. Skyr yogurt with berries. Protein shakes. Shrimp (without cocktail sauce). Salmon with balsamic glaze.

When I go back to slightly salty foods, they seem to taste a little salter than they used to so I don't totally miss it. Beef stew with potatoes and carrots used to be something id salt the crap out of... some stock and garlic/onion/pepper was plenty. 

If I can add something to a recipe where I removed salt but added something else that I like, that helps too.  I use my Hamilton beach egg sandwich maker a LOT. I was eating egg sandwiches with meat... salt and pepper on the eggs,  salty cold cuts or bacon or sausage or ham... the bread is salty... everything's salty.  Now I'm still making them but with low sodium bread like the light multi grain english muffins or everything bagel thins that don't have salt.. doubling the egg so I get the flavor and using smaller but stronger cheese with an extra sharp cheddar "cracker cut". They're definitely blander but still good and the extra egg makes it seem like a splurge but it's really just more protein. Or maybe adding avocado for some healthy fat and taking out the meat. 

I think replacing salt is a crutch that would make me just want the salt. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...