What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (5 Viewers)

At some point you’re going to be pretty close to your ideal weight. Right?

If you’re over 6’ 200 will be a tough nut to crack and stay under. Especially if you still want to indulge occasionally. 
Just depends who you are.  6' and under 200 is something most of us can do if we work hard.   6' @ 185 is probably ideal.  When I plateau and stop losing fat/making gains, I switch up my routine.  That normally means eating less or more and changing up my workout - fasted cardio, more weights, etc.  Our bodies constantly need to be shocked or they'll adjust.  

When children gain excess weight, the culprit is more likely to be eating too much than moving too little, according to a fascinating new study of children in Ecuador. The study compared the lifestyles, diets and body compositions of Amazonian children who live in rural, foraging communities with those of other Indigenous children living in nearby towns, and the results have implications for the rising rates of obesity in both children and adults worldwide.

The in-depth study found that the rural children, who run, play and forage for hours, are leaner and more active than their urban counterparts. But they do not burn more calories day-to-day, a surprising finding that implicates the urban children’s modernized diets in their weight gain. The findings also raise provocative questions about the interplay of physical activity and metabolism and why exercise helps so little with weight loss, not only in children but the rest of us, too.

The issue of childhood obesity is of pressing global interest, since the incidence keeps rising, including in communities where it once was uncommon. Researchers variously point to increasing childhood inactivity and junk food diets as drivers of youthful weight gain. But which of those concerns might be more important — inactivity or overeating — remains murky and matters, as obesity researchers point out, because we cannot effectively respond to a health crisis unless we know its causes.

That question drew the interest of Sam Urlacher, an assistant professor of anthropology at Baylor University in Waco, Texas, who for some time has been working among and studying the Shuar people. An Indigenous population in Amazonian Ecuador, the traditional Shuar live primarily by foraging, hunting, fishing and subsistence farming. Their days are hardscrabble and physically demanding, their diets heavy on bananas, plantains and similar starches, and their bodies slight. The Shuar, especially the children, are rarely overweight. They also are not often malnourished.

But were their wiry frames a result mostly of their active lives, Dr. Urlacher wondered? As a postgraduate student, he had worked with Herman Pontzer, an associate professor of evolutionary anthropology at Duke University, whose research focuses on how evolution may have shaped our metabolisms and vice versa.

In Dr. Pontzer’s pioneering research with the Hadza, a tribe of hunter-gatherers in Tanzania, he found that, although the tribespeople moved frequently during the day, hunting, digging, dragging, carrying and cooking, they burned about the same number of total calories daily as much-more-sedentary Westerners.

Dr. Pontzer concluded that, during evolution, we humans must have developed an innate, unconscious ability to reallocate our body’s energy usage. If we burn lots of calories with, for instance, physical activity, we burn fewer with some other biological system, such as reproduction or immune responses. The result is that our average, daily energy expenditure remains within a narrow band of total calories, helpful for avoiding starvation among active hunter-gatherers, but disheartening for those of us in the modern world who find that more exercise does not equate to much, if any, weight loss. (Dr. Pontzer’s highly readable new book on this topic, “Burn,” will be published on March 2. )

Dr. Pontzer’s work focuses primarily on Hadza adults, but Dr. Urlacher wondered if similar metabolic trade-offs might also exist in children, including among the traditional Shuar. So, for a 2019 study, he precisely measured energy expenditure in some of the young Shuar and compared the total number of calories they incinerated with existing data about the daily calories burned by relatively sedentary (and much heavier) children in the United States and Britain. And the totals matched. Although the young Shuar were far more active, they did not burn more calories, over all.

Young Shuar differ from most Western children in so many ways, though, including their genetics, that interpreting that study’s findings was challenging, Dr. Urlacher knew. But he also was aware of a more-comparable group of children only a longish canoe ride away, among Shuar families that had moved to a nearby market town. Their children regularly attended school and ate purchased foods but remained Shuar.

So, for the newest study, which was published in January in The Journal of Nutrition, he and his colleagues gained permission from Shuar families, both rural and relatively urban, to precisely measure the body compositions and energy expenditure of 77 of their children between the ages of 4 and 12, while also tracking their activities with accelerometers and gathering data about what they ate.

The urban Shuar children proved to be considerably heavier than their rural counterparts. About a third were overweight by World Health Organization criteria. None of the rural children were. The urban kids also generally were more sedentary. But all of the children, rural or urban, active or not, burned about the same number of calories every day.

What differed most were their diets. The children in the market town ate far more meat and dairy products than the rural children, along with new starches, like white rice, and highly processed foods, like candy. In general, they ate more and in a more-modern way than the rural children, and it was this diet, Dr. Urlacher and his colleagues conclude, that contributed most to their higher weight.

These findings should not romanticize the forager or hunter-gatherer lifestyle, Dr. Urlacher cautions. Rural, traditional Shuar children face frequent parasitic and other infections, as well as stunted growth, in large part because their bodies seem to shunt available calories to other vital functions and away from growing, Dr. Urlacher believes.

But the results do indicate that how much children eat influences their body weight more than how much they move, he says, an insight that should start to guide any efforts to confront childhood obesity.

“Exercise is still very important for children, for all sorts of reasons,” Dr. Urlacher says. “But keeping physical activity up may not be enough to deal with childhood obesity.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/well/move/weight-gain-amazon.html?surface=home-discovery-vi-prg&fellback=false&req_id=915083673&algo=identity&variant=no-exp&imp_id=842411724&action=click&module=Science Technology&pgtype=Homepage

The part I bolded I've never heard before.   We've all heard the idea of starvation mode and how the body will switch from burning fat to burning muscle but the idea of the body depriving core bodily functions of energy when it determines significant energy expenditures  are needed elsewhere seems new.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Just depends who you are.  6' and under 200 is something most of us can do if we work hard.   6' @ 185 is probably ideal.  When I plateau and stop losing fat/making gains, I switch up my routine.  That normally means eating less or more and changing up my workout - fasted cardio, more weights, etc.  Our bodies constantly need to be shocked or they'll adjust.  
For sure.  My goal is 200.  I'll stick with the same lifestyle once I hit it.  If I'm not losing more from there I don't know that I'll change much.  I probably haven't been solidly under 200 in 15 years. 

Wanted to drop this cabbage recipe in here in case someone might enjoy it.  Super easy, super tasty and pretty healthy.  I just use a handful of the bacon crumbles that kirkland sells instead of frying up some slices; easier that way and probably healthier without the excess grease.  Only downside is I typically wind up finishing the entire head in one day since I have no self control so I gets some gas. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/196732/fried-cabbage-with-bacon-onion-and-garlic/

At some point you’re going to be pretty close to your ideal weight. Right?

If you’re over 6’ 200 will be a tough nut to crack and stay under. Especially if you still want to indulge occasionally. 
Started at 226, I'm at 198 now at 6 feet.  Shooting for 190 for my frame.  You do have to switch things up to keep the body working.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                   -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 20        199.2                -26.9                                          1540
  • Feb 21        199.2                -26.9                                          1360
  • Feb 22        198.1                -28.0                                          1410
  • Feb 23        197.5                -28.6                                          1640
  • Feb 24        198.4                -27.7                                          1540
  • Feb 25        198.4                -27.7

Started at 226, I'm at 198 now at 6 feet.  Shooting for 190 for my frame.  You do have to switch things up to keep the body working.
You're a great example.  Looks like your initial losses were pretty drastic with 2-3 pounds per week.  I also think once you get down to a certain point actual weight is less of a concern.  If you're able to get to 190 that may be the time to hit the weights really hard, increase the nutritious calories, and put on some muscle.  You may still weigh 200, but it will be a much different looking 200.

Just haven't had the motivation to do MFP and haven't been weighing as often.

Jan 1   274.4

Feb 1   256.4  - 18.0 lbs

Feb 7  xxx.x  -  xx.x lbs, 7000 cal

Feb 8  260.4 - 14.0 lbs, 450 cal

Feb 9  258.2 - 16.2 lbs, 950 cal, lift, run...no jog...no waddled 5 miles.

Feb 23 252.2 - 22.2 lbs

Goals for the month

Weight - 249.4 or lower on two different days.  Not looking promising.

Treadmill mile - 9:00.  Check 8:40 yesterday.

Bench press - 225 x 6 reps.  I think I'm ready to attempt this.
Feb 25  254.4

Well I can kiss one goal for the month good bye.  I have a "virtual" marathon on Saturday that will be a jog/walk.  While I'll burn a bunch of calories, my body will swell with inflammation and I'll never even come close to 250.  Sucks dieting and working out only to lose two pounds in a month.  Makes you want to toss in the towel.  I went through this 6-7 years ago where I was stuck at 215 for a month and then dropped 12 pounds in a week and a half.

On the plus side, I attempted the 225 yesterday and tossed up 6 reps easily and the 7th was likely in the bag but my spotter tapped the bar with his finger so it doesn't count.  I'm seeing significant gains on all of my lifting exercises on a week to week basis.  Getting pretty close to being in my best "lifting" shape in 25 years.

ANNOUNCE after extensive consideration and discussion with Mrs. O, we’ve decided we may have two glasses of wine tonight. That will break my 5 day streak, but may be nice. 

Will report back. But this seems like a legitimate way to live: Mostly eat healthy and limited amounts of food and don’t drink, but then sometimes drink a little.

****** the more you know *****> 

PS, I’m down 16lbs on the year so far.  Whatever this is, it’s pretty painless, it’s allowing for “mistakes” and a binge day here and there, even a bad whole week, and yet, it’s working...

#STAYTHECOURSE
That's amazing. I didn't expect you to have lost anywhere near that much by now. You are killing it GB 

Day 4 in the books.  Still got this.  52 more to go.

Like Fred, I’ve been overworked and way over stressed here this week with work and family stuff.  But none of that is deterring me.  Weighed in this morning at 226.1, which is the lowest I’ve been in a while, and I feel like it’s starting to show.  It’s not the 220 or so I wanted to be at this point, but it’s not far off either (the weeks of damage I did actually didn’t end up doing as much damage as I’d feared).  I’m close to that point Fred is at now, where you start shattering 10 and 20 year records for lowest weight.

Only thing I haven’t done as much as I’d like is exercise.  No rowing, no push ups, and just one walk with the dog so far this week.  I’ll get out tomorrow for a walk at a minimum.  

But that’s four days where I’ve stayed 500 calories under even the MFP allotment, and I’m not dying of hunger.  
“Walking the dog” doesn’t burn many calories, unless you have really good stamina, in which case you will also build stronger forearms.

Feb 25  254.4

Well I can kiss one goal for the month good bye.  I have a "virtual" marathon on Saturday that will be a jog/walk.  While I'll burn a bunch of calories, my body will swell with inflammation and I'll never even come close to 250.  Sucks dieting and working out only to lose two pounds in a month.  Makes you want to toss in the towel.  I went through this 6-7 years ago where I was stuck at 215 for a month and then dropped 12 pounds in a week and a half.

On the plus side, I attempted the 225 yesterday and tossed up 6 reps easily and the 7th was likely in the bag but my spotter tapped the bar with his finger so it doesn't count.  I'm seeing significant gains on all of my lifting exercises on a week to week basis.  Getting pretty close to being in my best "lifting" shape in 25 years.
Just throwing it out there, but it is possible that you are gaining muscle in tandem with losing fat.   Which makes weight loss choppier.  Years ago when I first started running a lot, I built up much stronger leg muscles (after years of almost Stephen Hawking-like inactivity), and I noticed that my weight loss was super uneven.  One week I would lose 3-4 pounds.  Then lose nothing for two weeks.  Then gain a lb.  Then lose 3 lbs a week later.

I’m convinced my body was basically just doing a really weird mix of fat burn and muscle gain, and the two were operating in different rhythms.

Anyway, just a thought.   Keep following a consistent process and it will work over time.

You're a great example.  Looks like your initial losses were pretty drastic with 2-3 pounds per week.  I also think once you get down to a certain point actual weight is less of a concern.  If you're able to get to 190 that may be the time to hit the weights really hard, increase the nutritious calories, and put on some muscle.  You may still weigh 200, but it will be a much different looking 200.
I’m almost in the same exact boat as Corp. 6’1”. Have been as high as 240 but usually under 220. 212-215 has been my norm. Thought I looked great at 204 last time I got after it. But now as I’m breaking 200 I can see I have another 10 I should lose even in my bigger frame. So I’m going for 190. Baked Potato with salsa for dinner tonight after a spinach salad with chicken lunch. That’s it. Peleton in the am.  

Just throwing it out there, but it is possible that you are gaining muscle in tandem with losing fat.   Which makes weight loss choppier.  Years ago when I first started running a lot, I built up much stronger leg muscles (after years of almost Stephen Hawking-like inactivity), and I noticed that my weight loss was super uneven.  One week I would lose 3-4 pounds.  Then lose nothing for two weeks.  Then gain a lb.  Then lose 3 lbs a week later.

I’m convinced my body was basically just doing a really weird mix of fat burn and muscle gain, and the two were operating in different rhythms.

Anyway, just a thought.   Keep following a consistent process and it will work over time.
Maybe, but likely that would be two pounds of muscle?  I'm starting to become convinced my base burn rate is 1800 cal a day.  The numbers this go around and the loss pattern from 3 years ago seems to support this.

Maybe, but likely that would be two pounds of muscle?  I'm starting to become convinced my base burn rate is 1800 cal a day.  The numbers this go around and the loss pattern from 3 years ago seems to support this.
That is also very possible.  I had to make adjustments based on the actual results of my efforts a few weeks in.  It was annoying because it “didn’t seem right” but eventually I just had to accept the reality of the numbers.

What do you mean by base burn rate? 

BMR or basal metabolic rate is how many calories you burn if you lie in bed without moving for 24 hours. 1800 seems about right, but probably a little low for your weight and musculature. 

TDEE or total daily energy expenditure is how many calories you burn on average when you include walking around, cleaning the kitchen, scratching your butt, whatever. TDEE is basically BMR plus your average NEAT which is non exercise activity thermogenesis. It's an estimate and goes up and down. You can include exercise but itmakes things difficult because most people dont exercise the same amount every day. TDEE should be hundreds more than your BMR and is probably closet to 2500. 

Your calorie goal is TDEE minus the number of calories it will take you to hit your goal. You seem to target more than 2 lbs per week, but 2 lbs per week would mean staying 1000 calories under your TDEE by either eating less or exercising more. That might be around 1500 or 1600 net calories (food calories minus exercise calories).

But you're not tracking net calories, you have been doing gross calories if i remember right. So your gross calorie goal might be a little higher than 1500 or 1600 to make up for your average exercise. 

My guess is you mean BMR but it's hard to tell from context 

What do you mean by base burn rate? 

BMR or basal metabolic rate is how many calories you burn if you lie in bed without moving for 24 hours. 1800 seems about right, but probably a little low for your weight and musculature. 

TDEE or total daily energy expenditure is how many calories you burn on average when you include walking around, cleaning the kitchen, scratching your butt, whatever. TDEE is basically BMR plus your average NEAT which is non exercise activity thermogenesis. It's an estimate and goes up and down. You can include exercise but itmakes things difficult because most people dont exercise the same amount every day. TDEE should be hundreds more than your BMR and is probably closet to 2500. 

Your calorie goal is TDEE minus the number of calories it will take you to hit your goal. You seem to target more than 2 lbs per week, but 2 lbs per week would mean staying 1000 calories under your TDEE by either eating less or exercising more. That might be around 1500 or 1600 net calories (food calories minus exercise calories).

But you're not tracking net calories, you have been doing gross calories if i remember right. So your gross calorie goal might be a little higher than 1500 or 1600 to make up for your average exercise. 

My guess is you mean BMR but it's hard to tell from context 
TDEE is what I meant.  Thanks for the clarification.  I suspect this is in 1800 range.  Just took my pulse sitting on the couch and it's 47 bpm.  When I'm fit that will drop to around 40 bpm.  Years ago I messed around with ephedra which raised your heart rate and the weight flew off.  My body just sits around in slug mode.

TDEE is what I meant.  Thanks for the clarification.  I suspect this is in 1800 range.  Just took my pulse sitting on the couch and it's 47 bpm.  When I'm fit that will drop to around 40 bpm.  Years ago I messed around with ephedra which raised your heart rate and the weight flew off.  My body just sits around in slug mode.
That doesn't sound right. 1800 would be really low for TDEE.  It seems really, really low for a man over 250 lbs, even if you're sedentary.

More info here. 

https://www.opexfit.com/blog/how-to-calculate-tdee-total-daily-energy-expenditure 

Are you maybe under counting calories somewhere?  I am pretty meticulous about counting and just discovered last week how much I was under counting the calories from my morning coffee. You seem to eat a lot of meat from your freezer are you weighing it?  Or estimating?

That doesn't sound right. 1800 would be really low for TDEE.  It seems really, really low for a man over 250 lbs, even if you're sedentary.

More info here. 

https://www.opexfit.com/blog/how-to-calculate-tdee-total-daily-energy-expenditure 

Are you maybe under counting calories somewhere?  I am pretty meticulous about counting and just discovered last week how much I was under counting the calories from my morning coffee. You seem to eat a lot of meat from your freezer are you weighing it?  Or estimating?
Thanks for adding from your freezer. :lol:

I'm going by the weight on the label but not weighing.

bostonfred said:
I thought I remembered you eating venison and didn't know if it was venison from hunting or from the store.
You are correct there.  It's packed in one pound packages from the processes give or take 20%.  Even if I'm off by 3oz that's 96 cal.  Based on MFP I'm missing about 500 a day.

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                   -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 20        199.2                -26.9                                          1540
  • Feb 21        199.2                -26.9                                          1360
  • Feb 22        198.1                -28.0                                          1410
  • Feb 23        197.5                -28.6                                          1640
  • Feb 24        198.4                -27.7                                          1540
  • Feb 25        198.4                -27.7                                          1620
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2
A 1.6 drop this week, still good.  I think the weeks of 2 pound drops are over, but this is still a good trend.  Trending towards 190 in about 6 weeks if current rates hold.  I may be having shoulder surgery in 6 weeks if the partial tear in the rotator cuff doesn't improve with this physical therapy, so that would likely throw a kink in things.

Drinking wine tonight Sorrynotsorry.

Also not calorie tracking. Though probably not going over. Had my usual low cal breakfast, skipped lunch, some chicken tikka masala and rice for dinner and some red wine. Feeling great.  

This is the way to live.  Track carefully and splurge carefully. Looking forward to getting down closer to 220 next week. 

Went 500 calories over two days ago. Just didn't have it in me to exercise that night. Went almost 250 over last night. Not like me. Finishing the day today with a 694 calorie deficit. I'm not usually a big believer in going way under after a cheat day but today I ate 1423 calories.... I just did my run without eating back any calories. Protein will be low, fiber is good and sodium is solid.  Let's see what the scale says tomorrow, I'll take my kid out for his weekly takeout and get myself on track for 208 by Easter. I'm doing this. 

Went 500 calories over two days ago. Just didn't have it in me to exercise that night. Went almost 250 over last night. Not like me. Finishing the day today with a 694 calorie deficit. I'm not usually a big believer in going way under after a cheat day but today I ate 1423 calories.... I just did my run without eating back any calories. Protein will be low, fiber is good and sodium is solid.  Let's see what the scale says tomorrow, I'll take my kid out for his weekly takeout and get myself on track for 208 by Easter. I'm doing this. 
Go GB go. 

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day: 220.0 to 212.0

Original goal was 210 by end of February and 200 by Easter. Recalibrating goals since I did not take care of myself the last two weeks. Roughly 215 now, but will officially weigh-in on Monday. I'm going to do a one month plan: March 1 - March 31. Goal will be 205 by end of March. 

This will require some discipline I haven't really had the last few weeks. Some people have alcohol as a weakness. Mine is chocolate. I've removed all of the chocolate from the house. My wife is always on board, but has agreed to really help me focus and get back on track. 31 days. I can do this. 

I ran yesterday and again today. Damn near threw up today, but that was because I had a spicy italian sub for lunch and didn't wait long enough before going for a run. Gross.

My 5k yesterday was really good though. I did my fastest (in recent history) mile and fastest 5k: 9:19 and 30:44 respectively. I was only about 6 seconds slower per mile today, despite wanting to throw up several times. So i pigged out the last two weeks but my legs, lungs, and heart are getting stronger. If I can put it all together I can be in good shape this summer. 

I ran yesterday and again today. Damn near threw up today, but that was because I had a spicy italian sub for lunch and didn't wait long enough before going for a run. Gross.

My 5k yesterday was really good though. I did my fastest (in recent history) mile and fastest 5k: 9:19 and 30:44 respectively. I was only about 6 seconds slower per mile today, despite wanting to throw up several times. So i pigged out the last two weeks but my legs, lungs, and heart are getting stronger. If I can put it all together I can be in good shape this summer. 
Yes!!!  Well done!!!   Keep working at it.

I have fond memories of running a 5K for a work fundraiser in 90-degree weather and burping up falafel the last 1.5 miles.  Good times.

So I had some specific goals by August 30th.  I'm likely behind schedule.  Do I try to catch up in March or spread that out over more months.  I'll likely be 4-5 lbs behind schedule after only dropping 3 pounds this month.  Calorie deficit goal worked in January but failed in February.  Do I give that another month and risk falling further behind or give it another month to see if January is the norm?

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                   -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Feb 27        197.5                -28.6

So I had some specific goals by August 30th.  I'm likely behind schedule.  Do I try to catch up in March or spread that out over more months.  I'll likely be 4-5 lbs behind schedule after only dropping 3 pounds this month.  Calorie deficit goal worked in January but failed in February.  Do I give that another month and risk falling further behind or give it another month to see if January is the norm?
I'm not sure what happened. You haven't been cheating really.  You seem pretty confident in your food logging. Your January results seemed really fast maybe you were a little dehydrated at the end of january and losing at the normal pace in February? 

There's no question that rest is important for recovery, I've just been trying to cross train most days. It's been a while since I took a day off altogether (I still did my hundred pushups and a few pull ups throughout the day but that's it].  
Curious on this. My body always told me when to take a day off doing greater impact workouts running on a treadmill, but I'm not experiencing much soreness (none after noon) doing 45 min/day biking since Jan 1. Same 140-145 heart rate I shot for on the treadmill. Seeing a lot of comments like yours online, I self imposed an off day Friday after 18 straight, but have to say I hated taking a 'just because' day off when I'm in a good groove. 

Jan 1   274.4

Feb 23 252.2 - 22.2 lbs

Feb 25  254.4

Feb 27  253.9

Feb 28  254.0 - 20.4 lbs

Jogged / walked 26.2 miles yesterday and managed to gain 0.1 lbs.  It was a trudge at the end and ended up taking 7 hours.  Expected, as I was in no physical shape to tackle that.

Jan 1   274.4

Feb 23 252.2 - 22.2 lbs

Feb 25  254.4

Feb 27  253.9

Feb 28  254.0 - 20.4 lbs

Jogged / walked 26.2 miles yesterday and managed to gain 0.1 lbs.  It was a trudge at the end and ended up taking 7 hours.  Expected, as I was in no physical shape to tackle that.
Just so we're clear, 7 hours for 26.2 miles is more than 5 and a half hours of walking 3mph (16.5 miles) with 1.5 hrs of running 6mph (9 miles) mixed in.  I know you've done more running than i have, but i've got a lot of experience running while fat and that's a lot of pounding on your knees at 250 lbs. You might want to rest for a bit.  I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice but if it were me I'd take a day off lifting and still eat all the protein I normally do and let all those sore muscles knit. 

Curious on this. My body always told me when to take a day off doing greater impact workouts running on a treadmill, but I'm not experiencing much soreness (none after noon) doing 45 min/day biking since Jan 1. Same 140-145 heart rate I shot for on the treadmill. Seeing a lot of comments like yours online, I self imposed an off day Friday after 18 straight, but have to say I hated taking a 'just because' day off when I'm in a good groove. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/comments/289vlu/rest_days_how_often_when_starting_out/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Some interesting discussion here for a newer rider. One commenter said almost never and gave a good explanation of why, and there's some other good discussion from there. 

I took the last 4 days off from working out (minus golf)...legs and back were just strained.

Took a detour for a couple weeks diet wise but back on it

https://www.midliferunning.com/MAF-training.html

I used to run hard like that every time and then I tried running slow to run fast. MAF helped me cut a lot of time off my 5k and has led to me being able to run more often and without feeling like throwing up. It sounds like you might be running harder than you should on most of your runs which is something that almost all of us do. 

My guess is that you will try this, then post that you hated your first run doing thi and felt ridiculous going so slow because surely you can run faster than this, then get encouragement from other guys who have done this, try it again and maybe see why so many people recommend it. 

Just so we're clear, 7 hours for 26.2 miles is more than 5 and a half hours of walking 3mph (16.5 miles) with 1.5 hrs of running 6mph (9 miles) mixed in.  I know you've done more running than i have, but i've got a lot of experience running while fat and that's a lot of pounding on your knees at 250 lbs. You might want to rest for a bit.  I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice but if it were me I'd take a day off lifting and still eat all the protein I normally do and let all those sore muscles knit. 
Unfortunately my running is much slower right now.  First 6.65 miles were at a 13 min pace.  Next 6.55 miles were in the 14-14:30 range.  I actually took a small victory in jogging all of the first 10 miles and only walked two hills in the first 13.1 miles.  The walking started in the 16 min range and then eroded down to 20.  Throw in some time for changing socks, addressing a bloody toe, and re-fueling and it gets ugly.  

While "moving" I listened to a Koopcast that discussed when it's better to walk than run. Generally people don't like running slower that 12:30-13:00 pace.  Strange that I still felt more comfortable jogging at a 14 min pace.  Obviously I'm taking strides about the length of a toddler at that point.  Walking is more efficient when the pace drops below 12 min per mile.  The limiting factor on walking is the muscle at the bottom of the shin bone.  It's such a small muscle and becomes so stressed when walking fast that the body will naturally transition to a more inefficient running to take stress off that muscle.  I remember that muscle barking when I used to do some 13:30 pace walking to prepare for ultra events.

My other issue that needs work is that I'm 2 min / mile faster on the treadmill right now than the road.  That's either the body avoiding the pounding you're bringing up or just a factor of mental weakness.  I should be able to resolve that by running outside more.  Lately it seems to rain more than half the time and toss in cold and dark and the treadmill usually seems more appealing this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread