What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. The 25th Amendment should be invoked and he should be forced to be removed, if only to set precedent for the next lame duck president that decides to foment unrest.
I understand this sentiment, but I'm concerned about the precedent being set in the opposite direction. Where do we draw the line in terms of Congress deciding that a tweet foments unrest?

It’s weird that people are treating @Sinn Fein like he’s a Trump supporter trying to defend today’s actions. 
I don't think he was being/doing either. He was just less concerned about the impact of today's mob than others. I wasn't getting his angle, so I kept up with the questions. Now I get where he's coming from.

You’re wrong

Every R and D I saw/heard on tv since 2 pm today has denounced today’s events

Not sure what you’re missing...
I am missing the part where there is a unanimous putting aside of factionalism for a moment of clarity and realization that this should never have gotten to this point in a country like the US, and a similar wake up call about the absolutely need to change the course of polarization that got us to this point.

Instead we see two sides further entrenching in whataboutism and "you reap what you sow" mentality, or using it as a way to further find fault with the other side.

Case in point:

Looked like it on pbs.  The guards need to be questioned on who told them to let the protesters in.  My bet Democrats.   So they could exploit it and Republicans were dumb enough to help them out 

I made perfectly clear earlier in this thread that I don't condone violence or this type of protests.  I'm not a total anarchist like @Ilov80s where the ends justify the means.
I've never heard anyone say, "I liked the American Revolution, I just wish they wouldn't have dumped that tea in the harbor. That tea didn't belong to them!" or "I really wish the American Revolution wasn't so violent. Why didn't they try to work things out more with the King?" Those kind of things were absolutely said at the time because people don't like living in chaos or seeing their order disturbed. However, that often leads to massive improvements in society and those future generations who enjoy the improvements don't have to think about the costs paid to achieve it. 

I've never heard anyone say, "I liked the American Revolution, I just wish they wouldn't have dumped that tea in the harbor. That tea didn't belong to them!" or "I really wish the American Revolution wasn't so violent. Why didn't they try to work things out more with the King?" Those kind of things were absolutely said at the time because people don't like living in chaos or seeing their order disturbed. However, that often leads to massive improvements in society and those future generations who enjoy the improvements don't have to think about the costs paid to achieve it. 
Equating BLM/Antifa with the American Revolution?  Yeesh.  It's a joke, right?

If you approved of the violence with BLM/Antifa - who caused 100x more destruction, damage, loss of property (via looting also), assaults and murders - then you certainly can approve of this, no?  I'm just holding you to YOUR standard.

I don't condone either.

Sinn Fein said:
Ok.

I am ok with being a contrarian.  This is not a "huge" crowd with a siege mentality.  It was a protest.  It looks like the capitol police waved a few of the protesters into the capitol.  Nobody was looking for blood or violence.

I am not saying its nothing.  But, this is not as bad as many are trying to paint it.
Except for the guns, pipe bombs and zip ties photographed on the house floor.  They were looking to take hostages.  And the woman that was shot and died in the people’s house.  

Other than that, just a run of the mill protest. 

Except for the guns, pipe bombs and zip ties photographed on the house floor.  They were looking to take hostages.  And the woman that was shot and died in the people’s house.  

Other than that, just a run of the mill protest. 
Man you will run with any fake news you can find to push your agenda....really sad. 

It looks like Twitter has removed three of the President's recent tweets, which I think is a first. And it sounds like Facebook may be doing the same.

It looks like Twitter has removed three of the President's recent tweets, which I think is a first. And it sounds like Facebook may be doing the same.
I don't know - can they do that?  Trump was sued because he blocked certain people from responding, but now it's okay to remove his tweets entirely?  I don't see how that's even remotely fair or equitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shows you where we are as a society, and just as much why today's events were able to form. You're either all in unquestioning and loyal to one side, or you're the enemy.
I don't view anyone who opposes me as the enemy.

And I think people are still in shock at what happened today - and so emotions run hot.  I don't begrudge anyone who feels differently.

Nobody likes that at least one person was shot and killed today.  Nobody likes that people felt threatened.  I do think things got out of hand - probably even more than the protestors anticipated.

But, as some of emotion dies down - I think some serious questions have to be asked of the Capitol Police.  This was not so huge a crowd, that it would have been unexpected.  The police presence out right now - should have been out earlier today.  Had they been there - this would have really been nothing, rather than a breech of the Capitol.

Equating BLM/Antifa with the American Revolution?  Yeesh.  It's a joke, right?

If you approved of the violence with BLM/Antifa - who caused 100x more destruction, damage, loss of property (via looting also), assaults and murders - then you certainly can approve of this, no?  I'm just holding you to YOUR standard.

I don't condone either.
You have jumped past what I said. I said I condone damage to property to extent. I did not say murder or open ended destruction of property. As for where the lines are, that's a difficult question, how much oppression or wrong is enough to warrant X action? Tough to say.

The matter of how Black people are treated in this country isn't objectively agreed upon and I am guessing we would disagree on it. I tend to think that there is a lot of racism, systematic racism and abuse that has been targeted towards the Black community during their time in America. It is far far worse than anything the British Empire did that caused the colonists to revolt. Most colonists were well to do and respected people who were the upper crust of Colonial American life. The good of the American Revolution wasn't that they defeated an ultra oppressive English yoke but that they set a new precedent for what government could be. A new precedent for the rights of the individual and a government dictated by the collective. 

“They were looking to take hostages”.....like you have any clue at all. Dangerous garbage like that should be the permaban. 
There is a photo of a guy with a handful of zip ties on the house floor.  I’m open to any alternative use of them that a guy in full camo gear may have had.  All ears.   What were they for?

I don't know - can they do that?  Trump was sued because he blocked certain people from responding, but now it's okay to remove his tweets entirely?  I don't see how that's even remotely fair or equitable.
He is the President and Presidential communication has laws regarding it. His Twitter is an official Presidential form of communication. Twitter is a private business and is free to operate at their own discretion.  

They were first flagged for their potential to incite violence.   They're a private company, and they can moderate within their terms of service.   At this point, Section 230 would insulate them from liability if someone got hurt or killed due to his tweet, but both Trump and Biden want to do away with that immunity.   At that point they would have to become the police and moderate heavily and block users.   

What about any felony murder charges for anyone who accompanied the woman who died while breaking into the Capitol?
She was let in by the guards probably on orders from Democrats so those are the people who should be tried.

I don't view anyone who opposes me as the enemy.

And I think people are still in shock at what happened today - and so emotions run hot.  I don't begrudge anyone who feels differently.

Nobody likes that at least one person was shot and killed today.  Nobody likes that people felt threatened.  I do think things got out of hand - probably even more than the protestors anticipated.

But, as some of emotion dies down - I think some serious questions have to be asked of the Capitol Police.  This was not so huge a crowd, that it would have been unexpected.  The police presence out right now - should have been out earlier today.  Had they been there - this would have really been nothing, rather than a breech of the Capitol.
I still like you. :wub:

You have jumped past what I said. I said I condone damage to property to extent. I did not say murder or open ended destruction of property. As for where the lines are, that's a difficult question, how much oppression or wrong is enough to warrant X action? Tough to say.

The matter of how Black people are treated in this country isn't objectively agreed upon and I am guessing we would disagree on it. I tend to think that there is a lot of racism, systematic racism and abuse that has been targeted towards the Black community during their time in America. It is far far worse than anything the British Empire did that caused the colonists to revolt. Most colonists were well to do and respected people who were the upper crust of Colonial American life. The good of the American Revolution wasn't that they defeated an ultra oppressive English yoke but that they set a new precedent for what government could be. A new precedent for the rights of the individual and a government dictated by the collective. 
In one of your posts you said that you have a pretty good life (I'm summarizing) and you didn't want to lose yours, yet here you advocating for someone else's property to be lost because of some perceived injustice.

Help me understand how you reconcile these two ideas.

There is a photo of a guy with a handful of zip ties on the house floor.  I’m open to any alternative use of them that a guy in full camo gear may have had.  All ears.   What were they for?
....or maybe just some proof of anyone actually trying to take hostages? 

Pretty sad. 

Your echo chamber “facts” got us to this point, may want to tone it down. 
Let's see, the facts you have a problem with are:  people broke into the senate chamber, there were explosive devices found, someone was photographed in the senate chamber with plastic handcuffs, and someone was shot and killed. 

These are what are called facts.    Your immediate reaction was to label them fake.   What conspiracy would you like to rely on to refute them?  Go ahead.  I'll wait while you search gateway pundit, newsmax and breitbart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread