Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

86. The Kinks “Destroyer” (from Give the People What They Want)  https://youtu.be/_WJ6FbcWYRU The Kinks were actually a pretty good 80s band, as Ray Davies still had some songwriting chops l

67. Journey “Stone In Love” (from Escape)  https://youtu.be/kFqXFE8OSG4 Sorry @wikkidpissah there’s going to be a few more standard type rockers coming up here. What can I say? They were big i

44. Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” (from Bella Donna)  https://youtu.be/H5i7j0VhEHw The music to this song was written by Mike Campbell (l

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

29. Rickie Lee Jones “Woody and Dutch On the Slow Train to Peking” (from Pirates

https://youtu.be/qhBgGwr_Ktg

Jones’ second album was better than her first, and this was the most outstanding song, a tribute to 50s doowap featuring Steve Gadd on drums and one of the all time classic bass performances ever by the legendary Chuck Rainey. 

If Woody had gone right after the Police, this would never have happened.

Edited by zamboni
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Need a poll on how many have heard that song before.

“Woody and Dutch On the Slow Train to Peking” 

you may also know it as "Number 13" at your local Asian restaurant.  It's usually stuck below the more popular "Dragon & Phoenix" and "Beef Combo with Sa Cha Sauce".   

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

“Woody and Dutch On the Slow Train to Peking” 

you may also know it as "Number 13" at your local Asian restaurant.  It's usually stuck below the more popular "Dragon & Phoenix" and "Beef Combo with Sa Cha Sauce".   

Also possibly the original working title for Toy Story 4.

  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

29. Rickie Lee Jones “Woody and Dutch On the Slow Train to Peking” (from Pirates

https://youtu.be/qhBgGwr_Ktg

Jones’ second album was better than her first, and this was the most outstanding song, a tribute to 50s doowap featuring Steve Gadd on drums and one of the all time classic bass performances ever by the legendary Chuck Rainey. 

:lmao:

You can’t be serious 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shall I compare thee to "Just Fade Away"?
Go-Gos art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the buds of OliviaNewtonJ,
And Frame of Freeze hath all too short a date;
Sometime too hot the Eyes of BetteD shine
And often is the Red Barchetta dimm'd;
And every Stone In Love sometime declines,
By chance do New Lace Sleeves become untrimm'd;
But thy Crimson & thy Clover shall not fade,
Nor lose possession that Prince Charming ow’st;
Nor shall death brag Spellbound in his shade,
When in eternal lines The Stroke dost grow’st:
  So long as men can yet Tube Snake Boogie,
  So Urgent be this sweet emergency.

 

  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #28 A Woman In Love (It’s Not Me)
Just now, timschochet said:

28. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers “A Woman In Love (It’s Not Me)” (from Hard Promises)

https://youtu.be/fKDYErlu5Kc

One of their all time classic rockers. Some kick ### guitar playing by Campbell (as usual), along with great keyboards by Tench. 

 

This is epic  vintage Petty right here.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Need a poll on how many have heard that song before.

I thought it had to do with Butch Cassidy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Definitely one of my early favorites by Petty.  He has more good songs than you can shake a stick at, and this is one of his best. 

This is such a great song.  I should listen to it every day.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, timschochet said:

28. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers “A Woman In Love (It’s Not Me)” (from Hard Promises)

https://youtu.be/fKDYErlu5Kc

One of their all time classic rockers. Some kick ### guitar playing by Campbell (as usual), along with great keyboards by Tench. 

 

My favorite Petty tune, and by a healthy amount. The kickass combo of Campbell’s guitar, Blair’s bass and Tench’s keys, plus the wavering lament in Petty’s voice, just works beautifully.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching that video, it's almost comical how much better Petty was at videos than almost everyone else. 

There's not much to this one, this was early on in videos, but it's stylish, you can sit through it. 

Most of those early 80s videos look completely brutal if you don't have the nostalgia glasses on. 

Don't Come Around Here No More still looks fresh as hell

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, massraider said:

Watching that video, it's almost comical how much better Petty was at videos than almost everyone else. 

There's not much to this one, this was early on in videos, but it's stylish, you can sit through it. 

Most of those early 80s videos look completely brutal if you don't have the nostalgia glasses on. 

Don't Come Around Here No More still looks fresh as hell

I always preferred videos where they show the artists playing rather than the gimmicky mini-movie approach.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zamboni said:

I always preferred videos where they show the artists playing rather than the gimmicky mini-movie approach.

I liked that there were some of each. It mixed things up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:
5 hours ago, zamboni said:

I always preferred videos where they show the artists playing rather than the gimmicky mini-movie approach.

I liked that there were some of each. It mixed things up. 

IMHO THIS is the greatest all-time video.  

Definitely not a plain simple rock band playing vid.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #27 Lady (You Bring Me Up)

27. The Commodores “Lady (You Bring Me Up)” (from In the Pocket

https://youtu.be/phNLASyPsUU

This was the last Commodores’ effort with Lionel Richie; he would shortly thereafter launch a very successful solo career. But IMO his best ever material was back when he was part of this group: this is an extremely well crafted pop song, one of their best. 
In keeping with the current discussion, the video linked really really sucks. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

IMHO THIS is the greatest all-time video.  

Definitely not a plain simple rock band playing vid.

the only prob w the wunnerful vids Gabriel did w the PeeWeePlayhouse guy is Gabriel. his fake-happy is bad fake-happy and always creeps me out

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

27. The Commodores “Lady (You Bring Me Up)” (from In the Pocket

https://youtu.be/phNLASyPsUU

This was the last Commodores’ effort with Lionel Richie; he would shortly thereafter launch a very successful solo career. But IMO his best ever material was back when he was part of this group:  

I like a lot of his solo stuff too, but it's hard to top Sail On with The Commodores.

Edited by Mr. Mojo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #26 Magic Power
Posted (edited)

26. Triumph “Magic Power” (from Allied Forces

https://youtu.be/eQNma7xjMGE

Allied Forces was a throwback to a slightly earlier age of rock, from just a few years back: the days of Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Boston, of large stadiums and double guitars and lots of keyboards. It was grandiose and epic and had nothing whatsoever in common with the power pop of New Wave. 
And yet “Magic Power” is as catchy, as hook laden as any song that came out in 1981. It’s one of my all time favorite songs to sing along with. It’s very dated, specific to a moment in time (sometime in the 70s!); and I still adore it and always will. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Allied Forces was a throwback to a slightly earlier age of rock, from just a few years back: the days of Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Boston, of large stadiums and double guitars and lots of keyboards.

good call on bringing this one back timbo. 

Though they always seemed more like a "kicked up" version of Journey to me than those leading prog groups.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

good call on bringing this one back timbo. 

Though they always seemed more like a "kicked up" version of Journey to me than those leading prog groups.  

I'm not sure they are a kicked-up Journey, but they are not prog-influenced at all.  I did see ELP as a warm up act for Deep Purple, really disappointed in ELP.  Emerson was very pompous.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

the only prob w the wunnerful vids Gabriel did w the PeeWeePlayhouse guy is Gabriel. his fake-happy is bad fake-happy and always creeps me out

now imagine he had a shaved head in those videos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I'm not sure they are a kicked-up Journey, but they are not prog-influenced at all.  I did see ELP as a warm up act for Deep Purple, really disappointed in ELP.  Emerson was very pompous.  

there is some hope for you FW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

26. Triumph “Magic Power” (from Allied Forces

https://youtu.be/eQNma7xjMGE

Allied Forces was a throwback to a slightly earlier age of rock, from just a few years back: the days of Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Boston, of large stadiums and double guitars and lots of keyboards. It was grandiose and epic and had nothing whatsoever in common with the power pop of New Wave. 
And yet “Magic Power” is as catchy, as hook laden as any song that came out in 1981. It’s one of my all time favorite songs to sing along with. It’s very dated, specific to a moment in time (sometime in the 70s!); and I still adore it and always will. 

Derek Smalls on bass.

This seems like a very generic 80's hard rock song to me. Like, end credits of some 80's film generic.  I'd never imagined it would be considered top 100.

Edited by Gr00vus
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

there is some hope for you FW.

It was Deep Purple/ELP/Dream Theater.  

No real hope for me, Binky.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

We believe in you ...even though you do not appreciate Todd.  

That is mild considering my thoughts on Bob Segar here in Michigan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #25. Slow Hand

25. The Pointer Sisters “Slow Hand” (from Black & White

https://youtu.be/dbk29JZdl5A

Written by John Bettis, who composed a lot of big hits in this era, including “Crazy for You” for Madonna and “Human Nature” for Michael Jackson. 
The Pointer Sisters had been around all through the 70s but they were just starting to come into their own with some pretty big hit songs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

Derek Smalls on bass.

This seems like a very generic 80's hard rock song to me. Like, end credits of some 80's film generic.  I'd never imagined it would be considered top 100.

You’re fired. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

25. The Pointer Sisters “Slow Hand” (from Black & White

https://youtu.be/dbk29JZdl5A

Written by John Bettis, who composed a lot of big hits in this era, including “Crazy for You” for Madonna and “Human Nature” for Michael Jackson. 
The Pointer Sisters had been around all through the 70s but they were just starting to come into their own with some pretty big hit songs. 

I’m not so excited about this one. But I am so...scared. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Loooove the Sistahs, though not this stage especially. Their & the lamented Rickie Lee Jones's debut albums are in my Top 10 "Best Albums You've Never Listened To"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Loooove the Sistahs, though not this stage especially

Casey Kasem loved them too until that time he had to come out of one of their uptempo records and talk about a ####### dog dying. 

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Loooove the Sistahs, though not this stage especially

Casey Kasem loved them too until that one time he had to come out of one of their uptempo records and had to talk about a ####### dog dying. 

For some reason, whenever I hear Pointer Sisters, I always think of Isaac singing with them.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

IMHO THIS is the greatest all-time video.  

Definitely not a plain simple rock band playing vid.

I was afraid that was gonna be a rickroll. 😆

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, timschochet said:

26. Triumph “Magic Power” (from Allied Forces

https://youtu.be/eQNma7xjMGE

Allied Forces was a throwback to a slightly earlier age of rock, from just a few years back: the days of Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Boston, of large stadiums and double guitars and lots of keyboards. It was grandiose and epic and had nothing whatsoever in common with the power pop of New Wave. 
And yet “Magic Power” is as catchy, as hook laden as any song that came out in 1981. It’s one of my all time favorite songs to sing along with. It’s very dated, specific to a moment in time (sometime in the 70s!); and I still adore it and always will. 

As I said earlier in the thread, this entire album is great. There's a song from it I like even better than this one. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

good call on bringing this one back timbo. 

Though they always seemed more like a "kicked up" version of Journey to me than those leading prog groups.  

 When I took one of their songs in Genrepalooza 4 I said they occupied the space between Rush and Journey. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Yep, not much prog to be found with Triumph, just kick ### melodic hard rock. Magic Power is a good one. :cool: 

Blinding Light Show/Moonchild from their first US album was as close to prog as they got. Rik Emmett was an extraordinarily accomplished guitarist, but he drew much more from AOR and metal than he did prog. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

not sure about the Rush side ...but yeah

In the "Canadian power trio that could rock real hard" sense. Did they ever have a 2112 or a Xanadu? No. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The 100 Greatest Songs of 1981 #1 Super Freak

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...