What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meghan Markle (1 Viewer)

Honestly don't understand the Meghan hate based on last night.  She came off to me as bright, sincere and straightforward.  She also avoided throwing people under the bus because in some cases it would have been too damaging.  Or it's already been hashed out.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Sure they were Royals which doesn't inspire empathy, but does anyone question how boxed in their lives were? Does anyone doubt the existence of the Firm? Does anyone doubt Prince Charles is a doosh? After having your mother killed by papparazzi chasing her does anyone doubt their request for full-time security for their own kids (and their parents)? Does anyone doubt the viciousness of the UK press/tabloids? Does anyone doubt the spin machine at Buckingham Palace? 

She answered every question directly.  She was straight up.  If Kate wants to dispute who made who cry and who apologized the ball is in her court.  If the Firm wants to say no, we never pulled security, or their son's Prince title, or that we never mentioned the color of the baby's skin - it's in their court to do it.

Money was never the issue.  They were going to have money either way.  I credit them for questioning the validity of certain protocols.  And, if the communication was as bad as they say the Royals should have expected it.  All they care about is William anyway.  Next real heir to the throne.  Now if they wanted to get out the Queen herself would've thrown her body in front of that train to stop it.
I didn't watch it, may watch the brirish showing on ITV in 30 min.  Really what did Meghan think her life was going to be like, marrying into the family?   I don't know how much racism there is involving her kid.  She really didn't gain a lot of fans hiding it from the media, she's really opposite of Kate. Announcing that they were raising the kid gender neutral isn't exactly something the royal family is used to also.  

Meghan can try to run from the media, she fails to remember that she was just a pretty face until she married into the Royal Family.  

Who knows if it is accurate but she comes off as unlikable, fake, manipulative, divaish and moody. Like that girl that is negative to people all around her but if anyome dares to be negative to her runs into her room crying about how mean everyone is to her. And Harry comes off as that husband that enables it all. 
Hmmm.  Not at all for me.

I didn't know much about her before this, but assumed what you had put above.  After watching she is more impressive than I thought.  Quite intelligent and well spoken.  She answered the questions very directly and I didn't sense a whole lot of BS in her answers.  

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Piers Morgan. Now there’s a likable guy
I mean he is not wrong here, not wrong at all.

"In the middle of a pandemic that has already taken over 2.5 million lives, a staggeringly rich and entitled couple living in a $14 million sun-kissed California mansion wanted us all to know that THEY are the real victims around here."

"'I couldn't even meet my friends for lunch!' wailed the Duchess of Delusion, who flew to New York for a $500,000 baby shower with all her new-found celebrity pals, then flew back to London like any good eco-warrior on George Clooney's carbon footprint guzzling private jet."

"Again, no name was given for the appalling racist at the Palace responsible for such a disgusting discriminatory decision.

But, as Meghan and Harry both know, the only person who has final say over titles is the Queen.

So, in making this astonishing unproven claim, they're effectively branding Her Majesty, Harry's grandmother, a racist.

It's hard to think of a more disgraceful slur to make against a woman who has devoted her whole life to the service of her country and the Commonwealth.

The Queen is not a racist and has never been a racist.

To even suggest that she might be is disgusting.

But to do so at a time when her 99-year-old husband Prince Philip has spent the past few weeks lying seriously ill in hospital is worse than that, it's contemptible."

"In the middle of a pandemic that has already taken over 2.5 million lives, a staggeringly rich and entitled couple living in a $14 million sun-kissed California mansion wanted us all to know that THEY are the real victims around here."

"'I couldn't even meet my friends for lunch!' wailed the Duchess of Delusion, who flew to New York for a $500,000 baby shower with all her new-found celebrity pals, then flew back to London like any good eco-warrior on George Clooney's carbon footprint guzzling private jet."

"Again, no name was given for the appalling racist at the Palace responsible for such a disgusting discriminatory decision.

But, as Meghan and Harry both know, the only person who has final say over titles is the Queen.

So, in making this astonishing unproven claim, they're effectively branding Her Majesty, Harry's grandmother, a racist.

It's hard to think of a more disgraceful slur to make against a woman who has devoted her whole life to the service of her country and the Commonwealth.

But to do so at a time when her 99-year-old husband Prince Philip has spent the past few weeks lying seriously ill in hospital is worse than that, it's contemptible."
Thanks for making all of my original points

• Thanks
You can tell who is genuinely curious about the story and who are completely ignorant and just want to talk trash about her. Lots of toxic people in here.
The Queen or the Markle? I'm curiously ignorant.

I just saw a few clips this morning...Oprah was aghast!

Regarding the excerpts from Piers Morgan’s editorial, I’ve never subscribed to the mentality that just because people are gazillionaires or otherwise privileged, that their problems are somehow unworthy of complaint or that they should just shut their traps. People from all walks of life face challenges and my view is we really shouldn’t judge if we haven’t walked in their shoes. Meghan discusses how the pressures of being part of the royal family drove her to start having suicidal thoughts. I don’t think our immediate reaction should be “you’re rich and famous - you don’t have real problems!” or “You knew what you were getting into when you chose to get married!”  Rather, unless we think she’s making it all up, I think we should have just a bit of empathy. 

Not precisely on point, but there have been countless times when a friend has been talking to my wife and I about the problems they are dealing with and how hard life is for them - maybe it’s a child constantly getting into trouble, or it’s an elderly parent who is chronically sick. At some point during the conversation, though, they have a realization that they are complaining about how hard life is to a couple who had their son die at the age of 13. And they immediately trip over themselves expressing shame and regret over unburdening themselves to us. My response is always to assure them that their feelings and frustrations are 100% valid and that they should always feel free to lean on us for support. We all face challenges and while keeping some perspective can be a good thing, we should really try to avoid delegitimizing the problems faced by others as if we fully understand what people are dealing with. 

So, yes, Meghan shouldn’t be ashamed to admit that the pandemic has been hard on her and her family, or that the pressures of living as a Royal were damaging her mental health.  If Piers want to question the way she has gone about discussing the issue, or the dirty laundry she has chosen to air, fine. But don’t belittle her problems. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A bunch of old, rich, European white men being racist certainly isn't a big leap to take. And I'm not sure I buy that things of this "importance" (the denial of titles and the benefits that come with them) COULDN'T possibly happen without the Queen signing off. She's 94 years old. 

But I do think the whole thing came off very choreographed. Some of Oprah's reactions were fairly hilarious (not the allegations she was reacting to, but just the facial expressions and exasperation) and right or wrong....Meghan's sincerity will always be scrutinized. She's an actress, after all.  Every word, inflection and facial expression just seemed very carefully orchestrated to me.

And as for Harry....it certainly wouldn't be the first time a guy got whipped by his hot wife and turned his back on his family. Being royal doesn't prevent that from happening if the circumstances are right.

Mental health, suicide and allegations of racism (against a then unborn child no less. Awful)  are nothing to dismiss lightly. So if its all true, shame on the people that drove them to this. I found it interesting to watch last night but I probably wont give it another thought once this thread falls off the front page. Doesn't affect my life at all and I dont really have a strong opinion on it one way or another.

At the end of the day, just hope everyone's happy. The Royal family "losing" Harry means basically diddly squat. He was never gonna be king anyway, so its just one less smiling noble that they can trot around to drum up interest in their causes. I think they'll get over it.

But don’t belittle her problems. 
She walked through that door knowing what being part of the royal family was all about.  It's like me showing up to work and being aghast there's another management/scheduling/HR meeting on the docket.

But the overall premise is right - you never know what's behind the gilded doors.

A bunch of old, rich, European white men being racist certainly isn't a big leap to take.
Sexist!  

Lots of empathy from this doosh.  Sorta failed to mention understanding Harry losing his Mom because of the pressures of Royal life and the scrutiny from scumbags in the media like himself.  What a judgmental, pompous ### Piers Morgan is.  But he obviously has a direct line to the Firm.  Morgan is insinuating that Meghan and Harry called the Queen a racist.  No they did not.  Said nothing but great things about her.  They would not say who made the racist comments because it would be too damaging.  I respect that.

Guy isn't worth a second of my thoughts, but I sure would like to deck him and knock the smug off his mug.

More like wrong on all counts?

I watched the interview and they made every effort on earth to not call out the queen, but rather she is the only one they heaped praise on, still have a relationship with.. who wrote that garbage?

• Thanks
I would guess that Harry is more Diana than Charles and deep down, knowing what she went through, he secretly wants to burn it all to the ground.

Well, maybe that's how I'd feel...

• Thanks
I would guess that Harry is more Diana than Charles and deep down, knowing what she went through, he secretly wants to burn it all to the ground.

All I (or 99.999999% of us) really know about them is from the media.  That said, from what I have seen, the queen is a class act and the rest of them are a bag of #####.  Seems like a very unhealthy environment to grow up in.

I would guess at the least he saw how this was all going down again and decided to pull the cord. 

Do people clowning on him remember how his mom died?

I would guess at the least he saw how this was all going down again and decided to pull the cord. 

Do people clowning on him remember how his mom died?
I am not clowning on him.  I just don't know that going on Oprah together is the best way to quiet down the tabloids.  It is one thing for us to bash the royals as an institution, but this is his immediate family.  Going on worldwide TV to denigrate your dad and grandmother (indirectly as it may be) and devalue the family business is not a reputable thing to do IMO.  They are out and they have their inheritance and their streaming deals.  It isn't like they came on the air to expose some child abuse conspiracy like the Catholic Church. It is more of a personal airing of grievances that literally only impacts them and potentially other relatives of theirs related to the Monarchy and the endowment.  

I think the “firm” is messed up and hung Meghan out to dry as the tabloid villain.  But both sides are clearly at fault here. 

What wasn’t shared was that as a royal family member Harry is on the International Protected Persons list, meaning that other countries have an obligation to provide protection for that person when they are in your country.  Guess who paid for protecting them while they were in Canada. Canadian taxpayers. 

The US would have been obligated to do the same had they not secured their own via Tyler Perry. Trump went on record and said he wouldn’t. It would be a giant diplomatic problem for the “firm” and the UK in general. Once he decided to leave the security leaves....end of story. Harry pushing back that the “threat” was still real was irrelevant.

I am not clowning on him.  I just don't know that going on Oprah together is the best way to quiet down the tabloids.  It is one thing for us to bash the royals as an institution, but this is his immediate family.  Going on worldwide TV to denigrate your dad and grandmother (indirectly as it may be) and devalue the family business is not a reputable thing to do IMO.  They are out and they have their inheritance and their streaming deals.  It isn't like they came on the air to expose some child abuse conspiracy like the Catholic Church. It is more of a personal airing of grievances that literally only impacts them and potentially other relatives of theirs related to the Monarchy and the endowment.  
Good post.  Doing what they did is just crazy and so unnecessary.  They already had the Netflix and spotify deals and for the most part pretty beloved worldwide.  Going to Oprah and airing the dirty laundry knowing the family isnt going to dignify their allegations is cheap and petty. 

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," the statement reads.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

The statement adds: "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."

99 and 94 year old, über rich, white people are slightly racist?  That literally, used to own multiple countries.   Whose forefathers were German and her uncle was pals with hitler. GET OUT. 🙄🙄🙄

not saying it’s right, but come on. Who cares. 

99 and 94 year old, über rich, white people are slightly racist?  That literally, used to own multiple countries.   Whose forefathers were German and her uncle was pals with hitler. GET OUT. 🙄🙄🙄

not saying it’s right, but come on. Who cares. 
I dont think thats fair either. Princess Di didnt have a racist bone in her body and by all accounts her mother, the Queen doesnt either.

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," the statement reads.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

The statement adds: "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."
Smart and reasoned response here from the family (or whatever they're being called). 

pantherclub said:
Good post.  Doing what they did is just crazy and so unnecessary.  They already had the Netflix and spotify deals and for the most part pretty beloved worldwide.  Going to Oprah and airing the dirty laundry knowing the family isnt going to dignify their allegations is cheap and petty. 
I don’t know that they were beloved worldwide. And I believe that there is some evidence that their reputations have improved as a result of the interview. 

Godsbrother said:
I don't know but I am thinking that going on Oprah on prime time is a lousy way to do this.
I agree, but Oprah was probably the best for her.   The UK media may make NYC media look tame.

Users who are viewing this thread