What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tucker Carlson: probably not in deep trouble anymore, but he should be. (1 Viewer)

Aside from the marketing strategy aspect (which is likely the driver), I would otherwise think it’s silly for the company to make a big deal about the change and I also think it’s silly for the detractors to make a big deal about the change (in effect calling attention to it and thus fulfilling the marketing purpose).  
Yeah, over the past few months I've really become inured to stories about "woke" unless it centers around freedom of speech or real cancellation attempts. 

That said, yesterday there was a story where apparently Orwell's 1984 now comes with a trigger warning for students at the University of Northampton in the U.K. who might be triggered by the way in which issues in the book are dealt with. That's some sort of heavy irony right there. I think that and actual attempts at ruining careers for speaking truth or opinions held will be my main focus in the future. I'll ignore corporate "wokeisms" unless it affects entertainment consumed or hiring and HR practices, which it often does. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the marketing strategy aspect (which is likely the driver), I would otherwise think it’s silly for the company to make a big deal about the change and I also think it’s silly for the detractors to make a big deal about the change (in effect calling attention to it and thus fulfilling the marketing purpose).  
Also the cynic in me, but I rather suspect (OK, I'm 99.9% convinced) that Tucker's objection to the M&M change is because he has a lot of air time to fill and his viewers expect to see "something" that's supposed to rile them up and make them hate "the left".  Tucker knows perfectly well that there's nothing nefarious about this.

I just want them to make more dark chocolate peanut M&Ms...less of some of the other flavors and find me more of these.

Also the cynic in me, but I rather suspect (OK, I'm 99.9% convinced) that Tucker's objection to the M&M change is because he has a lot of air time to fill and his viewers expect to see "something" that's supposed to rile them up and make them hate "the left".  Tucker knows perfectly well that there's nothing nefarious about this.
Of course he does. His program is 95% shtick. That some people can't recognize that only further emboldens him to go deeper with his shtick. The guy makes almost 10 million a year doing what he does. If he doesn't continually feed the beast, he becomes irrelevant and unemployed

They can't handle any truth that would make their workdview tumble.  And Tucker makes a lot more sense than Joy Reid ever did. 

Tucker is more entertainment than truth. Fox has even said so to get out of trouble.

And I do listen to Tucker, and Hannity and Rogan, and read a lot of this forum to try and understand both sides. I listen to my parents' preacher who said there would be blood in the streets if Hillary won, who preached on the fact that us Texans need to fear Californians moving into our state, and did a whole sermon on a Fox News article that had no other sources.

I can handle truth from both sides, and I question both sides. I hope someday this country can find some common ground again. That doesn't mean a stiff drink or full bowl doesn't make Tucker go down any easier.

All of the crap going on in the world and this country and people are upset because of the change to the appearance of M&M's mascots?   
That's a really good question. I think they see it as theoretical changes in how one is supposed to view things becoming incarnate. That is the best that I can describe it. Like bad theory put to practice. In this case, wokeism and dancing chocolates.  

All of the crap going on in the world and this country and people are upset because of the change to the appearance of M&M's mascots?   
My impression is that people view this as just yet another thing in a long of wokeness infiltrating their lives.  So no, not upset about M&Ms in a vacuum, but more like upset because it's the 100th thing of that nature they've heard about in the past year maybe? 

My impression is that people view this as just yet another thing in a long of wokeness infiltrating their lives.  So no, not upset about M&Ms in a vacuum, but more like upset because it's the 100th thing of that nature they've heard about in the past year maybe? 
but 99 of these 100 "Woke" things are meaningless in the grand scheme of life.   Who cares about Mr. Potato Head, M&Ms, etc.  It seems to me that this is Fox just trying to keep their audience annoyed with liberals because it is good business (just like CNN tries to find ludicrous things to stir up their audience against the right).

They do this because without it Fox, CNN, etc. become irrelevant (which is what they should be).  

but 99 of these 100 "Woke" things are meaningless in the grand scheme of life.   Who cares about Mr. Potato Head, M&Ms, etc.  It seems to me that this is Fox just trying to keep their audience annoyed with liberals because it is good business (just like CNN tries to find ludicrous things to stir up their audience against the right).

They do this because without it Fox, CNN, etc. become irrelevant (which is what they should be).  
I think there is a bit of that as well.     It just reminds me of conversations in the FFA about politics in movies, sports, and TV.   I purposely avoid SM and barely watch sports anymore, so I don't understand the sentiment that this political bs/wokeness/left thinking is everywhere.   But I can understand if somebody is on all that stuff a ton, and likely to not agree with the message to begin with, starting to be annoyed by those other 99 things that would roll off my back.  

We desperately need 24 hour news channels to go away
OMG yes.   

Or at least veer towards more podcast style, long form interviews and discussions vs. talking heads that need to fill up their timeslot.   I get it, we don't have the attention span for that for the most part.  

I think there is a bit of that as well.     It just reminds me of conversations in the FFA about politics in movies, sports, and TV.   I purposely avoid SM and barely watch sports anymore, so I don't understand the sentiment that this political bs/wokeness/left thinking is everywhere.   But I can understand if somebody is on all that stuff a ton, and likely to not agree with the message to begin with, starting to be annoyed by those other 99 things that would roll off my back.  
I routinely get together with 5 guys for beer & cigar nights.   There are two guys that are retired and watch Fox exclusively.  We tend to keep topics away from politics but they are almost always bringing up stuff like Mr. Potato Head and other woke topics.

We pretty much laugh off this stuff pretty quickly but it is obvious that it bothers them.   I pretty much only watch local news and occasionally abc world news after the local news.   I'm sure even that is biased but a far cry from Fox and CNN I bet.

Had no idea that M & M even had characters.  I just eat them when they are in a candy dish.

So I google it and found this.  I worry there is no hope for us.

Danielle Kurtzleben

@titonka

Today on Fresh Air: The green M&M, newly liberated from her white boots, lets loose. She talks social reproduction theory, how patriarchy and capitalism violently reinforce each other, and what a sexy lady M&M says about gender as a construct. Stay with us.

Tucker is more entertainment than truth. Fox has even said so to get out of trouble.

And I do listen to Tucker, and Hannity and Rogan, and read a lot of this forum to try and understand both sides. I listen to my parents' preacher who said there would be blood in the streets if Hillary won, who preached on the fact that us Texans need to fear Californians moving into our state, and did a whole sermon on a Fox News article that had no other sources.

I can handle truth from both sides, and I question both sides. I hope someday this country can find some common ground again. That doesn't mean a stiff drink or full bowl doesn't make Tucker go down any easier.

The far-left does not want common ground.  They want revolution.  That is the essence of why things like CRT are so important.  

I didn't see the actual episode but looked back to find it. It was the last segment of the show, which is usually reserved for something fairly innocuous that he can kind of goof on. Normally a throw away to fill time as you said. Seems like it got the attention he wanted, with the biggest reaction coming from the left. Mission accomplished!

The far-left does not want common ground.  They want revolution.  That is the essence of why things like CRT are so important.  

Serious question: do you not feel the same way about the far-right? I don't see where they want common ground and I think they have also shown that they want revolution.

Maybe it's time to focus on those of us, left and right, that are in the middle. 

I didn't see the actual episode but looked back to find it. It was the last segment of the show, which is usually reserved for something fairly innocuous that he can kind of goof on. Normally a throw away to fill time as you said. Seems like it got the attention he wanted, with the biggest reaction coming from the left. Mission accomplished!
This is a good point. All publicity is good publicity. Tucker thrives on getting people worked up, doesn't matter if it's his viewers or his haters.

Our news channels have this down to a science.

Serious question: do you not feel the same way about the far-right? I don't see where they want common ground and I think they have also shown that they want revolution.

Maybe it's time to focus on those of us, left and right, that are in the middle. 

The far-right is not fighting for radical change.  They are fighting to defend their constitutional rights including the right to bear arms, free speech, questionable vaccine mandates by executive orders.  

The far-right is not fighting for radical change.  They are fighting to defend their constitutional rights including the right to bear arms, free speech, questionable vaccine mandates by executive orders.  

Appreciate the response. We will have to agree to disagree there. To say that the far-right aren't as dangerous as the far-left I think is a mistake. I realize we see what we want to see, and our surroundings have a lot to do with what shapes our opinions, but living in Texas, with my kids living outside the city limits, I see a lot of things that honestly scare me, and you would classify them as constitutional patriots. 

Appreciate the response. We will have to agree to disagree there. To say that the far-right aren't as dangerous as the far-left I think is a mistake. I realize we see what we want to see, and our surroundings have a lot to do with what shapes our opinions, but living in Texas, with my kids living outside the city limits, I see a lot of things that honestly scare me, and you would classify them as constitutional patriots. 

I do not know who is more dangerous in terms of violence.  But the danger is in the loss of freedom of the ever expanding power of the government and elite.  It is kind of funny that the far-left brands themselves as the anti-facist because the last thing the right wants is a big corprate-government state.  The policies which will lead to an oppressive authoritarian state is what the far-left is fighting for.  

Is the right to own a gun scarier than police reform, especially when one is in the constitution?  It’s probably decided by the masses thru personal experiences.

You don’t have a cannon in your back yard?  
I'm 'bout rectify that. 

Naw, it's a conflicted issue. My brother sold his guns -- I think he's got quite a few -- but then bought them all back once the price of ammo soared and everybody else started stocking up. I even -- and I'm generally opposed to personal firearms -- had brought it up and told him to buy them back. "I already did," he said. Things aren't tremendously stable right now, and people are worried and stocking up. It's sort of sad. 

I dunno...just spitballing here. Appreciate the joke. 

I've stated in one of the threads that some of the "woke"ness has gone too far and I still feel that way about some things but it's painfully obvious at this point that the vast majority of the wokeness outrage on both sides is being drummed up by the media and is exploited by corporations and people like Tucker/Don Lemon for ratings ($$).  Problem is we collectively aren't smart enough to realize we are being exploited.

Its really getting bizarre here. The things done and proposed by the Gov. and Lt. Gov,, racing their party challengers to the extreme right is frightening. The latest retaliation on UT professors is jaw-dropping

@ekbeats @jamny didn’t want muck up the Ukraine thread with Tucker Carlson sidebar. 

What did you guys see as his point with the US has been trained to hate Putin talk? I don’t agree with this and don’t see his point. 

@ekbeats @jamny didn’t want muck up the Ukraine thread with Tucker Carlson sidebar. 

What did you guys see as his point with the US has been trained to hate Putin talk? I don’t agree with this and don’t see his point. 
I'd have to look more into it but to me it seems like he has an obvious distrust of our governments motives for war. It's not so much that we are trained to hate Putin but we are trained to hate Putin enough to go to war with Russia over that hatred. And if you believe the Ukraine, Hunter Biden/Joe Biden connection, you would be skeptical as to why we care about helping out what you would consider to be a corrupt nation in Ukraine.

I'd have to look more into it but to me it seems like he has an obvious distrust of our governments motives for war. It's not so much that we are trained to hate Putin but we are trained to hate Putin enough to go to war with Russia over that hatred. And if you believe the Ukraine, Hunter Biden/Joe Biden connection, you would be skeptical as to why we care about helping out what you would consider to be a corrupt nation in Ukraine.
I guess check out his stuff this week, it’s very odd. Clips of his show are being replayed on Russia Times with subtitles :lol:  no shtick.

Putin is our enemy. He also has nukes so I don’t see a war over Ukraine but if he goes after NATO…oh boy.

Exactly.

I guess check out his stuff this week, it’s very odd. Clips of his show are being replayed on Russia Times with subtitles :lol:  no shtick.
So is the Washington Post (without subtitles), no shtick.  Apparently the media thinks what Tucker says is news.

Actually I can't find it on RT, you have a link?

So is the Washington Post (without subtitles), no shtick.  Apparently the media thinks what Tucker says is news.

I don’t. Just reading this.

I don’t get his words about Putin. I agree we shouldn’t be attacking Russia but Putin is certainly a bad guy, should be viewed as our enemy. 

I don’t get his words about Putin. I agree we shouldn’t be attacking Russia but Putin is certainly a bad guy, should be viewed as our enemy. 
if you actually watch him he says that repeatedly.

One is presenting his views because they are so favorable to Russia and help the Russian war cause with the public.

One is presenting his views because they are appalled they are so favorable to Russia and are helping the Russian war cause.

But you know this already.

One is presenting his views because they are so favorable to Russia and help the Russian war cause with the public.

One is presenting his views because they are appalled they are so favorable to Russia and are helping the Russian war cause.

But you know this already.
Never said I didn't.  Both seem to think what Tucker says is news.  Still looking for a link to RT though.

While you're looking for the RT article maybe also find where Tucker said this was a false flag operation by Putin.

Users who are viewing this thread