What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Rookie drafts (1 Viewer)

Currently drafting in a 12 team 2QB, non-ppr league. I just picked ninth and am thin at RB so went Williams (I'm stacked at WR). Here's the draft so far: 

1.1 Lawrence

1.2 Harris

1.3 Lance

1.4 Fields

1.5 Chase

1.6 Wilson

1.7 Pitts (SOD IMO)

1.8 Etienne

1.9 Williams (I considered Mac Jones and considered trading back but wasn't getting much capital for this year - mainly guys looking to part with next year's first and some change and I have a good enough team to take a run this year - so decided to improve my RB depth). 

I'm having a hard time seeing people take Fields over Wilson....clearly NFL scouts rated Wilson higher. Maybe I have  block on OSU QBs (and to an extent Chicago offense) but just seems unless you are talking maybe redraft that Wilson has a higher ceiling than Fields...or am I wrong here? 

I'm having a hard time seeing people take Fields over Wilson....clearly NFL scouts rated Wilson higher. Maybe I have  block on OSU QBs (and to an extent Chicago offense) but just seems unless you are talking maybe redraft that Wilson has a higher ceiling than Fields...or am I wrong here? 
Fields is considered more mobile than Wilson. And talent evaluators didn't necessarily agree with the Jets decision to pick Wilson over Fields. Quite a few armchair scouts thought they were wrong. But the ceiling of Fields is higher than Wilson because of his rushing stats for fantasy purposes. Same with Lance. Trevor Lawrence is considered just a great quarterback already, which accounts for him going first most times. I'd argue it should be Lance, Fields, Lawrence, Wilson.

My two cents.

My first two selections are at the 16 & 24 spots in a 12-team 1/2 PPR, start 1QB.   I'm set for starting QB and TE, with room to add good developmental backups at either position.  I have a greater need for RB than WR.   Here's how I'm looking at the tiers from this 2nd round perspective.

Forget about:  Pitts, Harris, Javonte, Etienne, Chase, D-Smith, Waddle, Lawrence

I'm not saying that a tier of 8 exists or that this is definitely my top 8.  However, these are the eight names that I absolutely can't foresee dropping to the 2.4.   

From here I have 7 names that I would legitimately be excited about drafting 16th.  Most won't be an option, but I don't know that I can completely rule out a fall for any of these based on perceived landing spots, lack of draft capital, or other warts.  The scary thing is that none of these would be an option in my worst-case draft day scenario.   I just need one team to go "off the board" from these seven to push one of them to me.   These are my preliminary rankings (9th-15th spots) 

9. Bateman

10. Elijah Moore

11. Trey Sermon

12. Michael Carter  - this one might be a little rich for a 4th rounder and definitely reflects a greater need for depth RB than WR.

13. Trey Lance  - don't love the idea of using my top pick on what would be my backup in a 1QB, or passing on the two WRs below, but I think the upside is there to justify it

14. Rondale Moore 

15.  Terrace Marshall - could talk myself into flipping with Rondale.  Could also talk myself into slotting both behind E. Moore.

In the event that I'm presented with a worst-case scenario at #16, I see these as the options:

Fields - probably the safe pick that represents some value, could definitely go in the 10-15 range.   Might be a safer pick than Lance for a quality backup role in fantasy, but I would much rather draft for ceiling and I think Lance has the edge there.

Toney - draft capital might coax a selection from someone in the early 2nd, I just can't get excited about him at 2.4 with a WR core that's already loaded.  If he hits and reaches mid-level WR2/WR3 in fantasy, it won't help me very much.

Gainwell - I want to be able to justify this an an option.  Objectively, it probably shouldn't be.   If Sanders is reasonably healthy, is it a wild stretch to hope for a Nyheim Hines level of production?   Can you justify trying to draft the next Nyheim Hines at 2.4?

I would jump at any of the above at 2.12, but I assume all will be off the board.   My next 6 for the #19-24 goes:

19.  St. Brown - If there was a need for WR depth, he belongs in the list above, but ceiling concerns put him here

20.   Hubbard - Things change fast in the NFL.   Maybe he looks like the 2019 version.

21.  Herbert 

22.  Eskridge

23.  Dyami Brown

24.  Elijah Mitchell / Freiermuth / Rodgers / Stevenson

1 QB PPR flex started this morning

1.01 Harris, Najee PIT RB (R) 

1.02 Etienne, Travis JAC RB (R) 

1.03 Chase, Ja'Marr CIN WR (R) 

1.04 Pitts, Kyle ATL TE (R) 

1.05 Williams, Javonte DEN RB (R) 

1.06 Smith, DeVonta PHI WR (R) 

1.07 Sermon, Trey SFO RB (R) 

1.08 Waddle, Jaylen MIA WR (R) 

1.09 Lawrence, Trevor JAC QB (R) 

1.10 Bateman, Rashod BAL WR (R) 

1.11 Carter, Michael NYJ RB (R) 

1.12 Moore, Rondale ARI WR (R) 

2.01 Toney, Kadarius NYG WR (R) 

2.02 Moore, Elijah NYJ WR (R) 

2.03 Rodgers, Amari GBP WR (R) 

2.04 Marshall, Terrace CAR WR (R) 

2.05 Lance, Trey SFO QB (R) 

2.06 St. Brown, Amon-Ra DET WR (R) 

2.07 Fields, Justin CHI QB (R) 

2.08 Wilson, Zach NYJ QB (R) 

2.09 Collins, Nico HOU WR (R) 

2.10 Eskridge, D'Wayne SEA WR (R) 

1 QB PPR flex started this morning

1.01 Harris, Najee PIT RB (R) 

1.02 Etienne, Travis JAC RB (R) 

1.03 Chase, Ja'Marr CIN WR (R) 

1.04 Pitts, Kyle ATL TE (R) 

1.06 Smith, DeVonta PHI WR (R) 

1.07 Sermon, Trey SFO RB (R) 

1.08 Waddle, Jaylen MIA WR (R) 

1.09 Lawrence, Trevor JAC QB (R) 

1.10 Bateman, Rashod BAL WR (R) 

1.11 Carter, Michael NYJ RB (R) 

1.12 Moore, Rondale ARI WR (R) 

2.01 Toney, Kadarius NYG WR (R) 

2.02 Moore, Elijah NYJ WR (R) 

2.03 Rodgers, Amari GBP WR (R) 

2.04 Marshall, Terrace CAR WR (R) 

2.05 Lance, Trey SFO QB (R) 

2.06 St. Brown, Amon-Ra DET WR (R) 

2.07 Fields, Justin CHI QB (R) 

2.08 Wilson, Zach NYJ QB (R) 

2.09 Collins, Nico HOU WR (R) 

2.10 Eskridge, D'Wayne SEA WR (R) 
Thanks for posting, I don’t see Rondale Moore or Toney over E Moore or Marshall or A Rodgers over Marshall, or Sermon over Waddle

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, I don’t see Rondale Moore or Toney over E Moore or Marshall or A Rodgers over Marshall, or Sermon over Waddle
I'm not a Waddle fan. He was the 4th option behind Jeudy, Devonta and Ruggs.  I'm a Dolphin fan, and this seems like Ted Ginn all over again.  Sermon is in a great situation in my opinion.  His competition is two undrafted players.  Mostert has 282 career carries in 6 years.  Wilson has 219 in three.  I'd actually be shocked if Sermon doesn't lead SF in rushing this year, but we will see.

I'm not a Waddle fan. He was the 4th option behind Jeudy, Devonta and Ruggs.  I'm a Dolphin fan, and this seems like Ted Ginn all over again.  Sermon is in a great situation in my opinion.  His competition is two undrafted players.  Mostert has 282 career carries in 6 years.  Wilson has 219 in three.  I'd actually be shocked if Sermon doesn't lead SF in rushing this year, but we will see.
You couldn’t be more wrong about Waddle.  I’m 100% certain of that.  Pecking order at Alabama doesn’t mean squat.  Waddle is a lot more than Ruggs.  Waddle actually can run routes and has speed and will be a yard after catch monster.

I was fortunate to get Trevor L at 1.09 but if he had been gone I would have taken Fields. Why?  He looks like a much better passer than Wilson. The differential in draft stock is so minimal that I don't put much stock in it; do you really trust the Jet's scouting office?  The Bears aren't much or any better, but my own eye decides in that case.

It is also worth noting that Wilson has a really bad receiving corps--easily one of the bottom of the barrel. 

Currently drafting in a 12 team 2QB, non-ppr league. I just picked ninth and am thin at RB so went Williams (I'm stacked at WR). Here's the draft so far: 

1.1 Lawrence

1.2 Harris

1.3 Lance

1.4 Fields

1.5 Chase

1.6 Wilson

1.7 Pitts (SOD IMO)

1.8 Etienne

1.9 Williams (I considered Mac Jones and considered trading back but wasn't getting much capital for this year - mainly guys looking to part with next year's first and some change and I have a good enough team to take a run this year - so decided to improve my RB depth). 
To finish out the round...

1.10 Devonta Smith

1.11 Jaylen Waddle

1.12 Mac Jones 

I pick 2.2 and am grabbing either Trey Sermon or Michael Carter. 

Speaking of weird first rounds in Zealots -- Michael Carter at 1.05 before Javonte Williams. That's staking your claim, I guess? I really don't get that pick, there's almost no way he was going to be gone at 1.10 on the next pick for that team. But hey, you do you.
In the run up to the draft, you make your plans based on what you expect your league-mates to (rationally) do....which they invariably don't. And your plans are blown up and some guys you want go early but others fall in your lap that you shouldn't have gotten. It's a weird game.

You couldn’t be more wrong about Waddle.  I’m 100% certain of that.  Pecking order at Alabama doesn’t mean squat.  Waddle is a lot more than Ruggs.  Waddle actually can run routes and has speed and will be a yard after catch monster.
Agree 100%. I would be thrilled landing Waddle in my upcoming draft.
Nero you might seek out more video and read all of the NFL scouting reports you can find.

There is a reason he was drafted right after Chase. People who grade these prospects all pretty much agree that he is a future superstar. You are entitled to your opinion but man I couldn’t disagree with it more. 

Best of luck to you.

That's a lot of QBs that early for a 1QB league (also quite early for LB, IMO)
QBs in Zealots always seem to go earlier than I thought they would.

Current Zealots ADP data shows Lawrence at 4.7, Lance at 10.8, Fields at 11, and Wilson at 13.9. All are going pretty early.

QBs in Zealots always seem to go earlier than I thought they would.

Current Zealots ADP data shows Lawrence at 4.7, Lance at 10.8, Fields at 11, and Wilson at 13.9. All are going pretty early.
It's because rosters are so big - 51 in non-PPR and 53 in PPR. Guys hoard them expecting to get "a haul"...but it never works. 

And I just realized the guy that took Trey Lance at 1.9 already has Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, and Aaron Rodgers.

Keep at it QB Hoarder Guy...maybe one of these years someone will pay the multiple picks you're looking for.
I didn't think it was that weird without context, but...that ain't right. 

It's because rosters are so big - 51 in non-PPR and 53 in PPR. Guys hoard them expecting to get "a haul"...but it never works. 
The worst offers that I’ve ever gotten in Zealots have happened to me after a QB goes down. I remember a few years ago my QB getting injured and getting offered Joe Flacco (close to being benched) or Eli Manning (close to retiring), each for a 1st. Sure.

Weird seeing Etienne above Chase and Harris in some of these links.  Is his stock rising and in the convo now with the 1a and 1b chase/harris combo?

ETN over Chase is due to RB scarcity vs. depth at the WR position.

ETN I think was always seen as 1B to Harris (Javonte 1C);

The reason being the recent discussion points surrounding Najee's age, the reality of the offensive line in Pittsburgh, the uncertainty with respect to the future at QB in Pitt

vs. ETN being a year younger, on an up and coming offense with an all time prospect at QB

Andy Dufresne said:
In the same league, I asked the guy that has Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert on his roster which one might be available and the response was "none". 
I had the exact same thing in one of my Zealots Field leagues, except I was able to pry Burrow away for Baker Mayfield, the 2021 4.05, 2021 4.09 and 2022 2nd.  And, yes, he was asking for much more throughout the negotiations.

He also picked Etienne over Chase in PPR.
That's more explainable, though. Jefferson going 2.03 as a seventh round guy is a bit ridiculous. With Williams and Swift there? Have to hope COVID hits the locker room for a chance at playing.

That's more explainable, though. Jefferson going 2.03 as a seventh round guy is a bit ridiculous. With Williams and Swift there? Have to hope COVID hits the locker room for a chance at playing.
I'm also biased towards Jefferson so I'm not one to comment on this :P

But ya that does seem crazy high and his name is "Detroit Lions", so clearly a homer pick.  Maybe he's rich and just needs a reason to cheer for his team.

12 team. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, 1 D. FULL PPR

1.01 Chase, Ja'Marr CIN WR (R)

1.02 Harris, Najee PIT RB (R)

1.03 Pitts, Kyle ATL TE (R) 

1.04 Waddle, Jaylen MIA WR (R) 

1.06 Bateman, Rashod BAL WR (R) 

1.07 Lawrence, Trevor JAC QB (R)  

1.08 Smith, DeVonta PHI WR (R)

1.09 Sermon, Trey SFO RB (R)

1.10 Etienne, Travis JAC RB (R)

1.11 Lance, Trey SFO QB (R)

1.12 Marshall, Terrace CAR WR (R)

2.01 Moore, Elijah NYJ WR (R) 

2.02 Carter, Michael NYJ RB (R)

2.03 Moore, Rondale ARI WR (R) 

2.04 Rodgers, Amari GBP WR (R)

2.05 Gainwell, Kenneth PHI RB (R)

2.06 Fields, Justin CHI QB (R)

2.07 Wilson, Zach NYJ QB (R)

2.08 Toney, Kadarius NYG WR (R) 

2.09 Freiermuth, Pat PIT TE (R)

2.10 Palmer, Josh LAC WR (R)

2.11 Hubbard, Chuba CAR RB (R)

2.12 Brown, Dyami WAS WR (R)

3.01 St. Brown, Amon-Ra DET WR (R)

3.02 Stevenson, Rhamondre NEP RB (R)

3.03 Collins, Nico HOU WR (R)

3.04 Eskridge, D'Wayne SEA WR (R) 

3.05 Jones, Mac NEP QB (R)

3.06 Fitzpatrick, Dez TEN WR (R)

3.07 Darden, Jaelon TBB WR (R)

3.08 Mitchell, Elijah SFO RB (R)

3.09 Hawkins, Javian ATL RB (R)

3.10 Jefferson, Jermar DET RB (R)

3.11 Rountree, Larry LAC RB (R)

3.12 Wallace, Tylan BAL WR (R)

Just got a Christmas present in May. 12 team PPR best ball SF dynasty league. Chase fell to me at 1.7  :pickle:  Here is how the draft has gone so far:

1.1 Lance  :shock:

1.2 Lawrence 

1.3 Harris 

1.4 Pitts

1.5 Fields

1.6 Etienne 

1.7 Chase  :bowtie:

1.8 Wilson

1.9 Waddle

1.10 D. Smith 

1.11 D. Williams

1.12 Sermon 

2.1 Mac Jones

2.2 E. Moore

2.3 Bateman

2.4 Carter

2.5 R. Moore 

2.6 Toney 

2.7 Marshall  :bowtie:

Just got a Christmas present in May. 12 team PPR best ball SF dynasty league. Chase fell to me at 1.7  :pickle:  Here is how the draft has gone so far:

1.1 Lance  :shock:

1.2 Lawrence 

1.3 Harris 

1.4 Pitts

1.5 Fields

1.6 Etienne 

1.7 Chase  :bowtie:

1.8 Wilson

1.9 Waddle

1.10 D. Smith 
That's a nice fall for you.  

I don't think I can blame anyone for taking Lance over Lawrence.  Lance goes to a coach that has a proven track record of getting good seasons out of just about any QB he's had.  Even Mullens was startable under him. His upside is huge on that team.  Excellent weapons with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle and any RB that's healthy produce. Lawrence goes to a rookie NFL coach that could have a rude awakening when he learns what it's like in the NFL.  He might be longing for his cushy TV gig in no time. 

That's a nice fall for you.  

I don't think I can blame anyone for taking Lance over Lawrence.  Lance goes to a coach that has a proven track record of getting good seasons out of just about any QB he's had.  Even Mullens was startable under him. His upside is huge on that team.  Excellent weapons with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle and any RB that's healthy produce. Lawrence goes to a rookie NFL coach that could have a rude awakening when he learns what it's like in the NFL.  He might be longing for his cushy TV gig in no time. 
I agree, Lance has, BY FAR, the best offense and overall team of all 5 1st round QBs. But you'd think he could have traded down and still gotten his guy and another asset. That's really the only thing that shocked me. Lance should have one of the easiest transitions of all the QBs in my opinion. 

Weird seeing Etienne above Chase and Harris in some of these links.  Is his stock rising and in the convo now with the 1a and 1b chase/harris combo?
I think those 3 (and maybe Pitts depending on one's feelings on the TE position) represent the clear top tier of the draft and I think can be justified in any order. 

12 team. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, 1 D. FULL PPR

1.01 Chase, Ja'Marr CIN WR (R)

1.02 Harris, Najee PIT RB (R)

1.03 Pitts, Kyle ATL TE (R) 

1.04 Waddle, Jaylen MIA WR (R) 

1.06 Bateman, Rashod BAL WR (R) 

1.07 Lawrence, Trevor JAC QB (R)  

1.08 Smith, DeVonta PHI WR (R)

1.09 Sermon, Trey SFO RB (R)

1.10 Etienne, Travis JAC RB (R)

1.11 Lance, Trey SFO QB (R)

1.12 Marshall, Terrace CAR WR (R)

2.01 Moore, Elijah NYJ WR (R) 

2.02 Carter, Michael NYJ RB (R)

2.03 Moore, Rondale ARI WR (R) 

2.04 Rodgers, Amari GBP WR (R)

2.05 Gainwell, Kenneth PHI RB (R)

2.06 Fields, Justin CHI QB (R)

2.07 Wilson, Zach NYJ QB (R)

2.08 Toney, Kadarius NYG WR (R) 

2.09 Freiermuth, Pat PIT TE (R)

2.10 Palmer, Josh LAC WR (R)

2.11 Hubbard, Chuba CAR RB (R)

2.12 Brown, Dyami WAS WR (R)

3.01 St. Brown, Amon-Ra DET WR (R)

3.02 Stevenson, Rhamondre NEP RB (R)

3.03 Collins, Nico HOU WR (R)

3.04 Eskridge, D'Wayne SEA WR (R) 

3.05 Jones, Mac NEP QB (R)

3.06 Fitzpatrick, Dez TEN WR (R)

3.07 Darden, Jaelon TBB WR (R)

3.08 Mitchell, Elijah SFO RB (R)

3.09 Hawkins, Javian ATL RB (R)

3.10 Jefferson, Jermar DET RB (R)

3.11 Rountree, Larry LAC RB (R)

3.12 Wallace, Tylan BAL WR (R)
Sermon over ETN is a scolding hot take 

I am still seeing a lot of TEs go before Kylen Granson. I think he's my TE3 at this point. I get those who have no interest in rostering a rookie TE that isn't a 1st round NFL draft talent but if you do have room on your roster, Granson is the guy I like. He's a smaller move TE like Jordan Reed or Trey Burton but that's a nice fit in Indy. He's already getting hype out of rookie camp and coach apparently this was the guy Frank Reich had to have in the draft. Beat writers are already saying he is going to play this year and be part of the passing attack. 

I am still seeing a lot of TEs go before Kylen Granson. I think he's my TE3 at this point. I get those who have no interest in rostering a rookie TE that isn't a 1st round NFL draft talent but if you do have room on your roster, Granson is the guy I like. He's a smaller move TE like Jordan Reed or Trey Burton but that's a nice fit in Indy. He's already getting hype out of rookie camp and coach apparently this was the guy Frank Reich had to have in the draft. Beat writers are already saying he is going to play this year and be part of the passing attack. 
I'm not as excited about him as those drafting him because I think this is where Ertz ends up. He falls into the bucket of rookie TE's I'll be interested in if they get dropped November give-or-take.

I'm not as excited about him as those drafting him because I think this is where Ertz ends up. He falls into the bucket of rookie TE's I'll be interested in if they get dropped November give-or-take.
Maybe but the drafting of Granson, picking up the team option on Doyle and the re-signing of Mo Allie Cox for a 1 year tender seems to be the end of the Ertz speculation for me. They already have a 4th TE on their roster who is expected to be let go now. 

Users who are viewing this thread