Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft


Recommended Posts

This is telling:

TREY LANCEQB, COLLEGE PLAYER

NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco reports 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said in December that he's "more open to deploying a mobile quarterback as long as sacrificing accuracy and pocket presence are not the trade-offs."

Shanahan's comments on dual-threat QBs came months before the Niners moved up to the third pick in the 2021 NFL Draft -- a move that ensures the team is eventually moving on from Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers will likely have their choice of Trey Lance, Justin Fields -- mobile quarterbacks -- and traditional pocket passer Mac Jones with the third pick. “Things change, people change,” Shanahan said in December. “You start to see you can win football games with any type of quarterback as long as they are good enough and you can be good enough in hundreds of different ways. ... So I evaluate quarterbacks in terms of trying to find people who can have a chance to be one of those elite-type guys and there's lots of different ways to do it. You can see now there's plenty of different ways, so I don't think that'll ever change.” Maiocoo said Lance and Fields "are likely evaluated as a grade below Jones" in accuracy and anticipation -- traits Shanahan has valued as an offensive coordinator and head coach. Whoever the Niners take at No. 3 will have a decent shot of overtaking the injury-plagued Garoppolo in 2021.”

 

Fields or Lance. No way it’s Mac. No way. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to say right here right now they will pick Lance over Fields.

Very much a winner.

This is why FBG pays me zero dollars for sharing my NFL acumen.

29 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Urban takes Fieds

Jets take Trevor

Niners get Wilson

 

 

THAT would be something!

I would bet my house that this will not be happening. 

But I’d be happy if it did. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Did anyone say they dont care which one they get?

IMO, and this is very obvious, there are three different QBs in this draft that they would pay that price to move up to get.

OBVIOUSLY they have a preference and "care" who goes #2. 

It's basically the same in fantasy.  If you trade up for the #3 pick this year before the draft starts you are doing so with the idea that you would still be happy with the deal if your top 2 guys are off the board and you get your #3 rated player.

It doesnt mean you dont CARE who you get

NO SHT SHERLOCK. Jesus, read the post I quoted and the person says they didn't care which of the 3 they got. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Urban takes Fieds

Jets take Trevor

Niners get Wilson

 

 

THAT would be something!

I highly doubt Meyer takes Fields.  Talk about having everyone in Jacksonville hating you out of the gate and probably an early firing.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Barring trading out I'd bet my life the Jags take Trevor at 1 and I'd bet my house the Jets take Wilson at 2.

Yeah, I would bet your life on it that he takes Lawrence #1.

  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

Literally zero chance Fields goes #1. He’s not going in the top-3. 

Agree with the 1st part. Disagree on the 2nd. It could be fields at 3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m not even convinced he goes top-6. 

I don’t think he’s the best fit for the Niners but I concede he could go there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

In one of the odder things I heard yesterday, apparently Simms and Shanahan got their ankles tattooed with the other guy’s initials 20 years ago when they were teammates at Texas. NTTAWWT. They are still pretty much besties and as you said Simms would know who they will take there. 

Let's just say there was some mocking of those tattoos on OU message boards back in the day. It was a different time, and Simms was a huge target.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

In one of the odder things I heard yesterday, apparently Simms and Shanahan got their ankles tattooed with the other guy’s initials 20 years ago when they were teammates at Texas.

Yeah, this has been by far been the weirdest thing I've read all day, and I've been in the PSF for a while, so...

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

In one of the odder things I heard yesterday, apparently Simms and Shanahan got their ankles tattooed with the other guy’s initials 20 years ago when they were teammates at Texas. NTTAWWT. They are still pretty much besties and as you said Simms would know who they will take there. 

Sounds like a future Lifetime Movie Network script. "S & S: The Story Never Told".

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

NO SHT SHERLOCK. Jesus, read the post I quoted and the person says they didn't care which of the 3 they got. 

You two have ripped the context out of my original statement. It was made in response to someone saying they couldn't understand giving up all that value for the 3rd QB taken in the draft. So the Niners "don't care" that there happen to be two QBs in this draft who will be chosen higher than the guy they end up with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

You two have ripped the context out of my original statement. It was made in response to someone saying they couldn't understand giving up all that value for the 3rd QB taken in the draft. So the Niners "don't care" that there happen to be two QBs in this draft who will be chosen higher than the guy they end up with. 

I don’t understand why everybody’s freaking out about that, either. It’s a pretty obvious situation that the 49ers value whichever quarterback they think is going to be there at 1.03 enough to make the move.

From a fan perspective, I would certainly hope that it is not Mac Jones. But that’s a different subject. 💡 

i doubt they paid this much for Mac. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to 95.7 on the way home from the farmers market & a sports dude who called into the show (didn’t catch his name or recognize his voice) who said he didn’t expect JimmyG to be on the opening game roster. 

Speculation that the Niners might want to trade JimmyG on draft day for a “bridge the gap” year QB. 

Intereting angle. Not sure I believe it, but it could land them some picks & maybe a journeyman type QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IHEARTFF said:

Even if (which they don’t) Jax wanted Fields they could trade Trevor for a lot of firsts from pretty much anyone. 

Yeah. It’s just silly talk. Meyer would be laughed out of the league for wasting the 1.01 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to keep in mind... Trey Lance is by all accounts a project and only 20 years old, 2 years younger than both Fields and Jones. Drafting the "NFL ready" guy in Jones will effectively start the clock on evaluating the results of this draft immediately whereas I think with Lance they'd be given a longer leash to see how he develops. Having said that, Lance surprisingly looks very polished as a PA passer and his mechanics are very clean for a "project".

My preference is Wilson, Lance, and Fields in that order... with Jones being basically a "rip your hair out" pick at this point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

SF skipping Justin Fields's pro day to go to Mac Jones's?

Brett Kollmann

@BrettKollmann

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are skipping Justin Fields' pro day on Tuesday to go to Mac Jones' instead, per @peter_king

There seems to be a little bit more smoke to this speculation of Jones going 3rd overall with each passing day.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

SF skipping Justin Fields's pro day to go to Mac Jones's?

Brett Kollmann

@BrettKollmann

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are skipping Justin Fields' pro day on Tuesday to go to Mac Jones' instead, per @peter_king

There seems to be a little bit more smoke to this speculation of Jones going 3rd overall with each passing day.

I feel sick. 🤢

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I feel sick. 🤢

I'm sorry. They're sending the Asst. GM to Fields's

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He actually was my top pick. He seems very accurate on deep ball, good at the under neath, and can run. Have to work on recog skills. But, Lance is easily the highest ceiling qb in this draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blackbear said:

He actually was my top pick. He seems very accurate on deep ball, good at the under neath, and can run. Have to work on recog skills. But, Lance is easily the highest ceiling qb in this draft. 

🤷🏽‍♂️ He can probably improve there, but that happens to be perhaps the key skill for a QB. Presuming adequacy in the other areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rockaction said:

SF skipping Justin Fields's pro day to go to Mac Jones's?

Brett Kollmann

@BrettKollmann

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are skipping Justin Fields' pro day on Tuesday to go to Mac Jones' instead, per @peter_king

There seems to be a little bit more smoke to this speculation of Jones going 3rd overall with each passing day.

I actually like Jones. Think he can be a franchise QB. But taking him with the 3 seems high imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I actually like Jones. Think he can be a franchise QB. But taking him with the 3 seems high imo. 

We’re saying things like that because we’ve seen a couple of months of mocks that had him going in the 15-25 range - and they tend to be echo chambers. Maybe the truth where scouts really had him is starting to emerge?

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blackbear said:

He actually was my top pick. He seems very accurate on deep ball, good at the under neath, and can run. Have to work on recog skills. But, Lance is easily the highest ceiling qb in this draft. 

The more I watch Lance, the more I think there's a chance he is who the Jets will take at #2. 

Not only is Lance the highest ceiling QB, he also looks to have the most polished mechanics as well, and his ball placement, as you state, is underrated. All drawbacks such as FCS competition, inexperience are not things under his control. 

Zach Wilson was being mocked in the mid-1st round in December... what's he done since then to shift the rankings so much? And who's to say Lance won't be the one with the momentum going into the draft?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I actually like Jones. Think he can be a franchise QB. But taking him with the 3 seems high imo. 

If you think he's a franchise QB he's most certainly worth the 3rd pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

The more I watch Lance, the more I think there's a chance he is who the Jets will take at #2. 

Not only is Lance the highest ceiling QB, he also looks to have the most polished mechanics as well, and his ball placement, as you state, is underrated. All drawbacks such as FCS competition, inexperience are not things under his control. 

Zach Wilson was being mocked in the mid-1st round in December... what's he done since then to shift the rankings so much? And who's to say Lance won't be the one with the momentum going into the draft?

It has generally considered a lock these days that Lawrence is going to JAX and Wilson is going to NYJ. The buzz kept building on Wilson leading up to the draft and he turned heads at his pro day. Multiple people have compared him to Mahomes. It's also widely been speculated that the Niners would have reached out to the Jets (their head coach was on Shanahan's staff) to offer them the same deal they offered the Dolphins to move up in the draft and they said no because they are in so infatuated with Wilson. All the draft mavens and talking heads don't even bother discussing the Jets pick anymore and have been saying the draft starts at pick #3.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

We’re saying things like that because we’ve seen a couple of months of mocks that had him going in the 15-25 range - and they tend to be echo chambers. Maybe the truth where scouts really had him is starting to emerge?

I've watched him for a couple years. 

He has enough talent to succeed when he has the right supporting cast. He's smart enough to use the talent of the players around him. I think he has a good chance of success in san Fran or Washington. Teams and coaches change but those are the teams I like him on today. I don't like him in NY, NE (obviously BB is great but I'm just not sure about them going forward) or others.

5 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

If you think he's a franchise QB he's most certainly worth the 3rd pick. 

As SF has the pick, ok. If almost any other team took him that high I wouldn't like it at all.  Players worth the top picks shouldn't be as situationally reliant. IMO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

It has generally considered a lock these days that Lawrence is going to JAX and Wilson is going to NYJ. The buzz kept building on Wilson leading up to the draft and he turned heads at his pro day. Multiple people have compared him to Mahomes. It's also widely been speculated that the Niners would have reached out to the Jets (their head coach was on Shanahan's staff) to offer them the same deal they offered the Dolphins to move up in the draft and they said no because they are in so infatuated with Wilson. All the draft mavens and talking heads don't even bother discussing the Jets pick anymore and have been saying the draft starts at pick #3.

Yea we all read the same hype, but my question still stands... what has Wilson done in 2021 to change his draft standing? What would surprise me is if the analysts don't try to buck the consensus a bit leading up to the draft... they get tired of talking about the same things over and over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you get a Top-5 selection IMHO you have to take advantage of it. Some teams are better than their Top5 pick would indicate. Miami won 10 games last year and was picking 3, they are sold on Tua even if we aren't. So it's an odd year where teams have a chance to move up a good bit because Miami was not going to stand pat and then take a WR, that was terrible projecting by all those idiot media folks who need clickbait. 

San Fran was one of the front runners to trade up with Miami. There were several teams wanting to move up including Carolina, New England and I'll also say that Chicago wanted to move up as well but were they willing to trade the 20-52, '22 1st, '23 1st all to get QB3 or 4 off the board? Plus Miami would fall well back in the 1st which still might happen although it's hard at the moment to see them slide back after they burned their 1st to move up. 

I dislike who Chris Grier selects as a GM but he is an interesting player in the 32-NFL GMs World. He has filled Miami up with 13 picks in the 1st 2-3 Rounds in 21, 22 and 2023, it's incredible. Still not confident we can truly turn Miami around with Grier making the picks. 

The Niners are a pretty talented team with good leaders and coaches, a rookie QB's dream quite honestly. I wonder if the Niners have had a deal cooking with New England and are just waiting to announce it for Jimmy G. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

Yea we all read the same hype, but my question still stands... what has Wilson done in 2021 to change his draft standing? What would surprise me is if the analysts don't try to buck the consensus a bit leading up to the draft... they get tired of talking about the same things over and over.

His pro day grades and tape were off the chart. That was last week. In 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All results from the Laremy Tunsil trade, essentially Miami netted 4 1st Round selections. 

2020 first-round pick (No. 26 overall)

2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall) 

2021 second-round pick (No. 36 overall)

2022 first-round pick

2022 third-round pick

2023 first-round pick

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

His pro day grades and tape were off the chart. That was last week. In 2021.

What part of his tape is from 2021? And he was being mocked to the Jets long before his pro day took place. IMO it felt like it had more to with Fields falling than Wilson rising.

Edited by chinawildman
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 1:16 PM, facook said:

I don't like it.  SF gave up too much to get a QB that at best is a gamble.  If they somehow get Wilson I'll feel better about it, but neither Fields nor Lance are worth that price.

Plus they extended Trent Williams for like $150M until he turns 40, guess they aren't moving up to grab Penei Sewell, tough to see them grab Pitts or WR there when they could have stayed put. A defensive player seems out of the question. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

The Niners are a pretty talented team with good leaders and coaches, a rookie QB's dream quite honestly. I wonder if the Niners have had a deal cooking with New England and are just waiting to announce it for Jimmy G. 

Who knows what is subterfuge and what is actual reporting, but it's been speculated the Niners want at least a first for Jimmy G. BB loathes acquiring guys with big contracts on short deals, so I doubt he would consider parting with a first round pick (or more) and then taking on Garoppolo for 2 years and like $51M. At least a rookie comes with a minimal contract.

Other issues include NE having only $11M in cap space and Garoppolo requiring $25M in cap space. To be able to acquire a player in a trade, teams MUST be able to fit the player under the cap BEFORE they can trade for him. The only way they could work it would be to get him to redo his contract while still on the Niners to create a more cap friendly deal. So the Niners would either have to convert salary to bonus money (which the Niners would both have to pay and take the salary cap hit for). Jimmy also has a no trade clause, so he may not even be willing to do that. The Patriots I suppose could redo multiple contracts and / or cut players to free up space, but they also have to sign their rookie draft picks too. So they would likely have to clear $17M off the books to take on Garoppolo, which at this point seems unlikely.

So IMO, the only way NE would be in position to get Jimmy is if gets released. But there are said to be at least 2 other teams in on Garoppolo, so who knows if they would be amenable to trade for him or if they could offer him more money than the Patriots would. Bottom line, there are a lot of hoops for the Patriots to jump through at this point to get Garoppolo on their roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

What part of his tape is from 2021? And he was being mocked to the Jets long before his pro day took place. IMO it felt like it had more to with Fields falling than Wilson rising.

The tape from his pro day. There's more out there and plenty of comments, but this was the clip making the rounds. LINK

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

All results from the Laremy Tunsil trade, essentially Miami netted 4 1st Round selections. 

2020 first-round pick (No. 26 overall)

2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall) 

2021 second-round pick (No. 36 overall)

2022 first-round pick

2022 third-round pick

2023 first-round pick

Whoever leaked that gas mask pic did your franchise a huge favor.  

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

Zach Wilson was being mocked in the mid-1st round in December... what's he done since then to shift the rankings so much? And who's to say Lance won't be the one with the momentum going into the draft?

Why are December ratings the true value?

A bunch of December mocks are going to be comically off come draft day.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...