What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turns Out Officer Sicknick Died of Natural Causes (1 Viewer)

And here we are again.

The easier thing to do when you're wrong is admit it and move on.  You know, like the media.
You're just peeing in the wind. They will never admit it was a full on lie. The "party of science" is never wrong. CNN, NYT, Wapo, they're never wrong, just the anonymous source. Which are oddly believed, without question, on this board. Pure lunacy.

Should be easy to say. "I was wrong". "I helped spread misinformation". "I fell for another unverified, not vetted, news article from biased sources". It's easy to do.

I mean, this is the party in which the speaker of the house is defending Maxine Waters! They will defend any action, any lie, in order to save face. No different then the Qanon lunatics.

To me, this story demonstrates the problem with conservative distrust of the media. If the media gets it wrong they were obviously lying to pursue a political aim. If the media reports something that conservatives like, the veracity of the story is never challenged. If the media corrects a story that conservatives did not like it, as in this case, that’s proof that the media was lying in the first place and can’t be trusted, and the fact of the correction is never credited. 

Under this formula there is no way to ever convince a conservative that the media can be trusted unless a story is reported that conservatives want to hear. 

To me, this story demonstrates the problem with conservative distrust of the media. If the media gets it wrong they were obviously lying to pursue a political aim. If the media reports something that conservatives like, the veracity of the story is never challenged. If the media corrects a story that conservatives did not like it, as in this case, that’s proof that the media was lying in the first place and can’t be trusted, and the fact of the correction is never credited. 

Under this formula there is no way to ever convince a conservative that the media can be trusted unless a story is reported that conservatives want to hear. 
Actually if the media would stop reporting false stories slanted against conservatives it would help much more.  Until then, trust is completely lost.

As soon as their family spoke out, the very next day.

Family > MSM    We tried to tell you.
And yet the Capitol Police put the that statement. I assume you're referring to the Propublic article linked above?
Here's the closest family statement I could find in that Propublica link:

“He spent his life trying to help other people,” the officer’s eldest brother told ProPublica. “This political climate got my brother killed.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Deflection Alert!

You and your media ran with the biggest bogus story of the year.

You used the death of a police officer as your political puppet.  Disgusting.  

"As rioters overpowered Capitol police, Sicknick was pepper-sprayed and hit in the head, his father said. Ambulance crews resuscitated him twice as he was rushed to a nearby Washington hospital. Sicknick died the next day.

“He ended up with a clot on the brain,” his father said. “If they had operated on him, he would’ve become a vegetable.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-policeofficer/u-s-capitol-police-officer-who-died-after-violent-assault-loved-his-job-idUSKBN29E0QE

When LEO's put out a statement, is that "non vetted, anonymous sourced"?
If LEO is doing it on assumptions and speculation, yes! If it's second hand hearsay, yes! They were reporting he had wounds! Lie. They reported he was beat to death! Lie. They were reporting it was from bear mace! Lie. All they did was take an unverified, anonymous source, and run with it for months as fact. 

LEO and intelligence agencies sometimes spread info that might not be true in order to start a narrative. I know it's hard to believe, but go look at the police shooting thread. Most "liberals" here are distrustful of the police until it helps their talking point.

I don't know.  But there are posters here suggesting the statements by the family should have immediately cleared things up.  That was not the case.  
I've seen those posts. They should link them. But if the family got the same misinformation, then of course they're going to feel this way. My only point is someone, LEO, news outlets, whomever, got it wrong early. And people should've waited until the investigation played out.

I've seen those posts. They should link them. But if the family got the same misinformation, then of course they're going to feel this way. My only point is someone, LEO, news outlets, whomever, got it wrong early. And people should've waited until the investigation played out.
The media's going to report information as they receive it. If it proves wrong, they'll correct it. I asked someone in this thread when was it known Sicknick did NOT die from injuries sustained on the 6th, as was first put out by the Capitol Police? Was it just yesterday

Do liberals trust FOXNEWS even when they are correct?

The media's going to report information as they receive it. If it proves wrong, they'll correct it. I asked someone in this thread when was it known Sicknick did NOT die from injuries sustained on the 6th, as was first put out by the Capitol Police? Was it just yesterday
Yes. I believe so. But from his death until yesterday it was being reported as fact. Which it shouldn't have been. They're was nobody on record, no Drs., no LEO, nobody of any true sourced and vetted individuals. Nothing. Just anonymous junk. 

Understanding the chronology of everything that has happened involving the media and Sicknick is kind of important.

How many people know in here that Sicknick's death was announced and then retracted and then announced again?

How many people in here knew as far back as a couple days after the riots that he died of a stroke? 

How many people know the first member of the media to report the information regarding the fire extinguisher? 

Understanding the chronology of everything that has happened involving the media and Sicknick is kind of important.

How many people know in here that Sicknick's death was announced and then retracted and then announced again?

How many people in here knew as far back as a couple days after the riots that he died of a stroke? 

How many people know the first member of the media to report the information regarding the fire extinguisher? 
I don't doubt some initial reports were wrong. It was pretty chaotic. I even remember when it was being reported the rioters were Antifa. That was wrong too.

It’s important in determining the media’s credibility or something else?

I’m still having trouble understanding why yesterday’s news is being considered such a “gotcha!”  The guy appears to have died as a result of the events of January 6.  That seems pretty damning if you’re trying to portray that day as a mostly peaceful protest.

That’s not a “mistake”.  It’s journalistic malpractice.  A fact like “he had a gash on his head” is easily verifiable.  It’s ridiculously bad reporting.  Full stop.
According to two law enforcement officials it says...correct?

So do you believe they made that up?  They never talked to LE?

It’s important in determining the media’s credibility or something else?

I’m still having trouble understanding why yesterday’s news is being considered such a “gotcha!”  The guy appears to have died as a result of the events of January 6.  That seems pretty damning if you’re trying to portray that day as a mostly peaceful protest.
We all watched it happen in real time.  Even if Sicknick had lived, it's hard to portray that day as a mostly peaceful protest.

Yes. I believe so. But from his death until yesterday it was being reported as fact. Which it shouldn't have been. They're was nobody on record, no Drs., no LEO, nobody of any true sourced and vetted individuals. Nothing. Just anonymous junk. 
Here's how the NYT reported it on Jan 8. I don't see this as "fact", only as according to two LEO's - and they were getting their info from security and cell phone videos:

The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear, and the Capitol Police said only that he had “passed away due to injuries sustained while on duty.” At some point in the chaos — with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress while lawmakers were forced to hide under their desks — he was struck with a fire extinguisher, according to two law enforcement officials.

“He returned to his division office and collapsed,” the Capitol Police said in the statement. “He was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.”

It was sourced by two law enforcement officials and immediately corrected when it was found out to be incorrect.  Seriously, how do you want the media reporting on things?
Immediately? No, it was quietly done over a month later, and even then it was couched in nebulous wording - new information "questions the initial cause of his death provided by officials close to the Capitol Police,"  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/us/brian-sicknick-police-capitol-dies.html 

And there are still two other articles that have never been corrected - a separate Times story on Jan. 9 reported Sicknick died "from brain injuries he sustained after Trump loyalists who overtook the complex struck him in the head with a fire extinguisher," but that version had not been corrected or updated as of Tuesday morning. A Jan. 11 piece still describes Sicknick as "the U.S. Capitol Police officer who died after being hit in the head by a rioter wielding a fire extinguisher."

How do I want the media to report on things?  Accurately, for one.

How about stop running with unverified, non vetted, anonymous sourced stories as "FACT". Maybe wait until, oh I don't know, a medical examiners report??? Or get someone on record. You know, real journalism.
Anonymous sourcing is real journalism.  At some point that will be admitted as well.  Especially if you have multiple sources inside law enforcement.  

I don't know.  But there are posters here suggesting the statements by the family should have immediately cleared things up.  That was not the case.  
Because there weren’t official statements from the family the next day I dont believe.

Once again - there were a few valid news reports out there on January 8th that Sicknick was not hit by a fire extinguisher and died of a stroke.  The source for the story was Sicknick’s family.  The MSM chose to ignore it.  Not a mistake.

https://www.propublica.org/article/officer-brian-sicknick-capitol
Can you please copy and paste the statement from Sicknick's family? I can only find this:

“He spent his life trying to help other people,” the officer’s eldest brother told ProPublica. “This political climate got my brother killed.”

So you think they fabricated that they had  sources?  With zero evidence to back that up.

That is a pretty big accusation.
"Bloody gash to the head and put of life support" - they said with no evidence.

My evidence that they made that up - "Zero external or internal injuries found.  Cause of death stroke"

Point proven, you're being disgusting defending these liars.  FULL STOP

"Bloody gash to the head and put of life support" - they said with no evidence.

My evidence that they made that up - "Zero external or internal injuries found.  Cause of death stroke"

Point proven, you're being disgusting defending these liars.  FULL STOP
They said...based on the citing in the article of two law enforcement officials.  You are claiming those officials don't exists.

Please cite evidence that they made that up and didn’t have sources.  That is your claim.  You continuing to say things happened...with nothing to back you ho isn’t full proof of anything.

Here's how the NYT reported it on Jan 8. I don't see this as "fact", only as according to two LEO's - and they were getting their info from security and cell phone videos:

The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear, and the Capitol Police said only that he had “passed away due to injuries sustained while on duty.” At some point in the chaos — with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress while lawmakers were forced to hide under their desks — he was struck with a fire extinguisher, according to two law enforcement officials.

“He returned to his division office and collapsed,” the Capitol Police said in the statement. “He was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.”
Here's the Boston Herald reporting it as a fact he was killed by a metal pipe or fire extinguisher. Yet further down the brother says its unknown how he died 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️. January 8th.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01/08/brother-of-capitol-police-officer-killed-in-riot-outside-congress-speaks-out-brian-is-a-hero/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwi0srrQvo3wAhXNXc0KHbuUDaEQFjABegQIGRAC&usg=AOvVaw2_c7NmKo7qvd1oCUoSU2sP&ampcf=1

That's a flat out lie by the media.  Sicknick didn't tell his father he was hit in the head because he wasn't hit in the head.  Video evidence has disproven that.  And his brother said that he was only pepper sprayed.  It's a lazy media person pupating something they saw elsewhere.  There's no way he got that from his father's mouth.

Officer Sicknick's brother on January 8th.

“Many details regarding Wednesday’s events and the direct causes of Brian’s injuries remain unknown and our family asks the public and the press to respect our wishes in not making Brian’s passing a political issue,” Ken Sicknick said in his statement.

They said...based on the citing in the article of two law enforcement officials.  You are claiming those officials don't exists.

Please cite evidence that they made that up and didn’t have sources.  That is your claim.  You continuing to say things happened...with nothing to back you ho isn’t full proof of anything.
You don't publish key facts - especially involving someone who died in a high profile event - without corroborating it.  It's journalism 101.  A gash to the head is one of the most easily verifiable facts there is.  That's the whole point of this thread.  The grand old lady of journalism didn't even follow basic journalism standards.

Officer Sicknick's brother on January 8th.

“Many details regarding Wednesday’s events and the direct causes of Brian’s injuries remain unknown and our family asks the public and the press to respect our wishes in not making Brian’s passing a political issue,” Ken Sicknick said in his statement.
Thank you. I don't believe that contradicts the statement made by the Capitol Police.

Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters.  He returned to his division office and collapsed.  He was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.  The death of Officer Sicknick will be investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, the USCP, and our federal partners. 

That's a flat out lie by the media.  Sicknick didn't tell his father he was hit in the head because he wasn't hit in the head.  Video evidence has disproven that.  And his brother said that he was only pepper sprayed.  It's a lazy media person pupating something they saw elsewhere.  There's no way he got that from his father's mouth.
I never saw anyone claim that Sicknick told his father that he was hit in the head.  Why are you twisting the facts?

Just because it was subsequently proven to not be true, that doesn't mean his father didn't believe it at the time, likely based on the statement from LE.  There is nothing to indicate that any of it was a lie by the media.  

Thank you. I don't believe that contradicts the statement made by the Capitol Police.

Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters.  He returned to his division office and collapsed.  He was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.  The death of Officer Sicknick will be investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, the USCP, and our federal partners. 
If his brother was unclear about his death or injuries, how can the Capitol Police be so sure he was injured from the riot and "succumbed to his injuries". What injuries? They wouldn't have known he had injuries because the autopsy completely disproves their statement.

No visible injuries. No internal injuries. No signs of an adverse reaction to chemical agents. So how irresponsible was it of the Capitol Police to put that type of statement out. What proof did they have he had injuries from the riot? 

So at worst, we have an assumption put out that the news ran as fact. That's a problem. Throw in anonymous sources and it's worse.

If his brother was unclear about his death or injuries, how can the Capitol Police be so sure he was injured from the riot and "succumbed to his injuries". What injuries? They wouldn't have known he had injuries because the autopsy completely disproves their statement.

No visible injuries. No internal injuries. No signs of an adverse reaction to chemical agents. So how irresponsible was it of the Capitol Police to put that type of statement out. What proof did they have he had injuries from the riot? 

So at worst, we have an assumption put out that the news ran as fact. That's a problem. Throw in anonymous sources and it's worse.
We're picking nits here, but is this the same brother that blamed the political climate for killing his brother? I mean, that's pretty clear he's talking about injuries suffered during the riots. Again, I don't think the family disputes what the police put out. Just different words. The brother says they don't know what caused his injuries. And I don't doubt that. There was a lot of (mis)information the day of and the day after. Everyone was trying to piece together what the hell happened.

Like I mentioned upthread, there were media reports it was all Antifa dressed as Trump supporters. 

You're just peeing in the wind. They will never admit it was a full on lie. The "party of science" is never wrong. CNN, NYT, Wapo, they're never wrong, just the anonymous source. Which are oddly believed, without question, on this board. Pure lunacy.

Should be easy to say. "I was wrong". "I helped spread misinformation". "I fell for another unverified, not vetted, news article from biased sources". It's easy to do.
Don't forget Twitter.  Quite a few here believe everything they see on twitter.  And polls..Don't forget polls. Because polls are always right...Unless of course they are conducted by a biased organization, which is determined by the poll lovers here.

Or how about just report it right the first time?   Oh no, we don't agree on that.

Lame post.

You don't publish key facts - especially involving someone who died in a high profile event - without corroborating it.  It's journalism 101.  A gash to the head is one of the most easily verifiable facts there is.  That's the whole point of this thread.  The grand old lady of journalism didn't even follow basic journalism standards.
Two sources(as they state they had) is corroborating the story.

Don't forget Twitter.  Quite a few here believe everything they see on twitter.  And polls..Don't forget polls. Because polls are always right...Unless of course they are conducted by a biased organization, which is determined by the poll lovers here.
Literally nobody believes polls are always right or to believe everything you see on twitter.

Users who are viewing this thread