What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY Times - what the heck? (2 Viewers)

Talk about misleading

Yes, she was at the forefront of the mob and was leading the crowd to break into the house chamber - no one had attempted to go through the window before her. Who knows how many legislators and others would have been killed if she hadn't been stopped and the rest of the insurrectionists had followed her in,
Here we go, she wasn't the "leader of the crowd".   :lmao:

Here we go, she wasn't the "leader of the crowd".  
Had anyone crawled through the window before her? No, she was the first to attempt that and that makes her the leader of the crowd that was trying to breach the chamber. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very misleading of you to use the word "girl" to describe a 35-year-old woman. If you're truly confident in your talking point, then you shouldn't need to mischaracterize the facts.

In any case, she was advancing towards a police officer who feared for his life. Doesn't matter if she had a gun or not -- the officer had to stop the threat by any means necessary. The shooting was 100% justified.
She was still behind a locked door when she was shot.   If that shooting was justified, so was every police shooting thst BLM protests about.  It is obscene how far you move the bar based soley on skin color.  

It's very misleading of you to use the word "girl" to describe a 35-year-old woman. If you're truly confident in your talking point, then you shouldn't need to mischaracterize the facts.

In any case, she was advancing towards a police officer who feared for his life. Doesn't matter if she had a gun or not -- the officer had to stop the threat by any means necessary. The shooting was 100% justified.
She was still behind a locked door when she was shot.   If that shooting was justified, so was every police shooting thst BLM protests about.  It is obscene how far you move the bar based soley on skin color.  
Whoa, where did that come from? I'm anti-BLM, dude. Why the jump to the "skin color" card? Can you make your point without baselessly accusing people of positions that they don't have?

Whoa, where did that come from? I'm anti-BLM, dude. Why the jump to the "skin color" card? Can you make your point without baselessly accusing people of positions that they don't have?
Please explain again how the shooting of an unarmed lady who was behind a locked door 100 percent justified while the shooting of Treyvon Martin was not?  

In a broken window she was attempting to crawl through, which she would have done and made it to the other side of the door if she hadn't been stopped. Absolutely a justified shooting and authorities agreed bringing no charges against the LEO who fired the gun. 

In a broken window she was attempting to crawl through, which she would have done and made it to the other side of the door if she hadn't been stopped. Absolute a justified shooting and authorities agreed bringing no charges against the LEO who fired the gun. 
And yet still less justifiable than most of the shootings that lead to mass protests.  

Please explain again how the shooting of an unarmed lady who was behind a locked door 100 percent justified while the shooting of Treyvon Martin was not?  
What are you talking about? Why do you keep attempting to assign beliefs to me which do not exist? Do you not understand that I have not been discussing Treyvon Martin here?

Seriously, what is going on here? This is the weirdest tangent I've ever experienced.

Describing a 35-year-old as a "girl" is not just misleading, but it's a deliberate attempt to minimize their culpability. It's also sexist (we wouldn't stand for using the word "boy" to describe a 35-year-old male business owner and veteran) and paternalistic.

And, yes, climbing through a window is advancing. If you think the cop should have waited for her to get through the window so that he could verify if she was about to kill him, then you can join the libs in the anti-cop threads. I won't be joining you.

The erosion of the pro-police narrative has been one of the worst byproducts of the Trump era. Conservatives are pushing anti-cop propaganda without even blinking an eye.
Yeah and here you go making all kinds of stuff up again.

One woman climbing through a broken window is advancing according to you.  Give me a break. You need to stop playing video games.

Yeah and here you go making all kinds of stuff up again.

One woman climbing through a broken window is advancing according to you.  Give me a break. You need to stop playing video games.
Yes, a woman climbing through a window can be interpreted as a threat.

My blue flag is not conditional.

Yes, a woman climbing through a window can be interpreted as a threat.

My blue flag is not conditional.
almost all the people that got into the Capitol building sat around and posed for pictures.  

while I agree that you pretty much get what you deserve when you riot, let's not pretend that this Saddam's army marching into Kuwait.

I'll take you at your word that your blue fat doesn't waver.

You’re saying she didn’t even have a gun?  What happened to shot them in the leg?  

I don't get it.  Please explain.
Emmett Till was the subject of a notorious lynching back in the mid 20th century in Mississippi. Till, from Chicago and visiting, was accused of flirting with a white woman in a grocery store and was lynched. Tim is being pretty incendiary here in his use of historical figures, as Till was fourteen and is generally considered fully innocent of anything but being black and speaking to a white woman.

Referring to a 35 year old woman as a girl is not accurate.

Trying to pretend you care about accuracy and correcting somebody that referred to a 35 year old woman as a girl while defending the media at every turn for using misleading terms or being inaccurate is lame. 

What are you talking about? Why do you keep attempting to assign beliefs to me which do not exist? Do you not understand that I have not been discussing Treyvon Martin here?

Seriously, what is going on here? This is the weirdest tangent I've ever experienced.
Because we live in s country thst vslues equal treatment of ALL citizens.  It is written in our constitution.   But yet Democrsts have two very different standards on justice depending on whether the person is white/male/conservative or not.  The left is appalled at police shooting/self-defense cases when the victim is black and hold the BLM movement up in high regard as heros of social justice despite the billions upon billions in property damage and numerous deaths that their rallies incite.  If you are going to proclaim this shooting in the capitol of an unarmed female protestor 100 percent justifiable in light of supporting BLM protests, it goes against what every leftist on this board position on other shootings.  

It is very difficult to reconcile support for the BLM movement and say with a strsight face that this shooting was 100 pecent justified.  

Because we live in s country thst vslues equal treatment of ALL citizens.  It is written in our constitution.   But yet Democrsts have two very different standards on justice depending on whether the person is white/male/conservative or not.  The left is appalled at police shooting/self-defense cases when the victim is black and hold the BLM movement up in high regard as heros of social justice despite the billions upon billions in property damage and numerous deaths that their rallies incite.  If you are going to proclaim this shooting in the capitol of an unarmed female protestor 100 percent justifiable in light of supporting BLM protests, it goes against what every leftist on this board position on other shootings.  

It is very difficult to reconcile support for the BLM movement and say with a strsight face that this shooting was 100 pecent justified.  
Um, OK? I'm not a Democrat or a "leftist" and I don't support BLM or its protests. These tangents are truly bizarre. I cannot fathom why a human adult would insist upon steering the topic towards race (multiple times!) with regards to my posts -- none of which mentioned or implied race.

I called you out for using the word "girl" to describe a woman, and you responded by invoking race 3 times. :loco:

Emmett Till was the subject of a notorious lynching back in the mid 20th century in Mississippi. Till, from Chicago and visiting, was accused of flirting with a white woman in a grocery store and was lynched. Tim is being pretty incendiary here in his use of historical figures, as Till was fourteen and is generally considered fully innocent of anything but being black and speaking to a white woman.
Oh, okay.  so he was trolling and saying something that had nothing to do with the current conversation.  Thanks for the clarification.  :thumbup:

Um, OK? I'm not a Democrat or a "leftist" and I don't support BLM or its protests. These tangents are truly bizarre. I cannot fathom why a human adult would insist upon steering the topic towards race (multiple times!) with regards to my posts -- none of which mentioned or implied race.

I called you out for using the word "girl" to describe a woman, and you responded by invoking race 3 times. :loco:
Do you live in a vacuum?  To the media/left, race is the defining issue on whether a story is relevant or not.  It is funny and telling that you are far more concerned about being mislead by me than you are from the media.

Oh, okay.  so he was trolling and saying something that had nothing to do with the current conversation.  Thanks for the clarification.  :thumbup:
I don't think it was trolling, it was just probably one those things where our societal embarrassment is best left to the history books than invocation on a message board regarding the NY Times and the Capitol insurrection.

Apparently he assumes that everyone that doesn't agree with his narrative about the Babbit shooting death, not only supported BLM protests but also didn't think anyone killed during the summer riots by LEOs was justified.

Do you live in a vacuum?  To the media/left, race is the defining issue on whether a story is relevant or not.  It is funny and telling that you are far more concerned about being mislead by me than you are from the media.
This is bizarre. Do you think that the NY Times considered "race" when deciding on whether or not the Sicknick story was relevant?

Are you sure that post was meant for this thread? Still have no idea why these tangents keep happening. Am I on Candid Camera?

I don't think it was trolling, it was just probably one those things where our societal embarrassment is best left to the history books than invocation on a message board regarding the NY Times and the Capitol insurrection.
Tim wasn't trolling. He was making a reference to another poster's bizarre insertion of Trayvon Martin into this thread, which had nothing to do with the current conversation.

Tim wasn't trolling. He was making a reference to another poster's bizarre insertion of Trayvon Martin into this thread, which had nothing to do with the current conversation.
Right, I followed the whole thing. Trayvon Martin is at least a contemporary event and it's debatable what happened in his circumstance, unlike Till. There was so much media sensationalism about Trayvon that when jon_mx is making his point about the media and race in this instance, invoking Trayvon is not that much of a departure. Emmett Till, whose name tim misspelled, is the legacy of a horrific past, but doesn't say much about anything to do with anything whatsoever regarding media coverage, the Capitol insurrection, and the fallout therefrom.

That's not to say I don't think jon isn't taking a really sideways approach to assessing the Capitol coverage, but there's a least a relevant point to be made about race and media coverage, even if it's inartfully segued and possibly non-applicable to the broader point at hand.

Right, I followed the whole thing. Trayvon Martin is at least a contemporary event and it's debatable what happened in his circumstance, unlike Till. There was so much media sensationalism about Trayvon that when jon_mx is making his point about the media and race in this instance, invoking Trayvon is not that much of a departure. Emmett Till, whose name tim misspelled,
I think Tim misspelled Emmett because jon misspelled Trayvon. :thumbup:

I think Tim misspelled Emmett because jon misspelled Trayvon. :thumbup:
Perhaps I shouldn't have made a point of that. I had to double-check Trayvon's name just now. :D Seeing Till's name gotten wrong just struck me for some reason. Google is a friend, a pal. So much information at the press of a button. No need for encyclopedias, dusty reference books. All it takes to be a know-it-all is Google. Hell, it even finishes your thought for you when you're searching. That's bang for your effort buck. 

This is bizarre. Do you think that the NY Times considered "race" when deciding on whether or not the Sicknick story was relevant?

Are you sure that post was meant for this thread? Still have no idea why these tangents keep happening. Am I on Candid Camera?
The reason this story was important is because the race/politics of the perpetrators were white/conservative.  Do you have any idea how many police were injured or killed over last summer during the riots?  Probably not because it is not part of the narrative.  Here are a few data points from the peaceful protests which include numerous instances of throwing bricks, gunfire injuries and vehicles running over officers.  These stories are barely covered by the media and none of these officers or their families received box seats at the Super Bowl or any Congressional Medals of Honor.

Albany, N.Y.: Officer sent to the hospital after protester throws a brick at him

Atlanta: Officer Maximilian Brewer underwent surgery after a protester hit him with an ATV 

Brockton, Mass.: One state trooper and a few local Brockton police officers suffered minor injuries

Buffalo, N.Y.: Two police officers are hit by a vehicle and one other has his leg broken and pelvis shattered after protesters run him over

Champaign, Ill: Several police officers suffered minor injuries after allegedly being assaulted

Cincinnati, Ohio: Officer narrowly escaped death after a bullet struck his ballistic helmet

Columbia, S.C.: 15 law enforcement personnel injured during a Saturday riot

Chicago: 132 Chicago Police Department officers injured in violent riots in the city

Davenport, Iowa: A plainclothes police officer injured after an individual opened fire on his vehicle

Denver: Three city police officers sent to the hospital after a hit-and-run that also injured a bystander

Harrisburg, Penn.: Two police officers sent to the hospital during a violent protest on Saturday

Las Vegas: One cop put on life support after he was shot in the head during a violent protest on Monday; 12 additional officers injured during Friday’s rioting

Los Angeles: 27 LAPD officers injured during weekend rioting

Lynchburg, Va.: Several officers were shot at during protests but were not injured  

Minnesota: Police officers shot at during a protest, and a precinct in the city was set on fire by protesters

Maryland: Protesters injured four county police officers and damaged several police cruisers

New York City: Dozens of NYPD officers injured during weekend rioting with one video showing an officer being struck by a car in a hit-and-run.

Over 350 NYPD officers injured in two weeks of protests. Injuries include being hit by vehicles, head injuries from bricks and fire extinguishers as well as other serious wounds.

Oak Lawn, Il.: Three officers injured during Monday’s protests

Oakdale, Calif: Two officers suffered injuries after a clash broke out at a protest.

Philadelphia: City police reported several assaults on officers and multiple police cars set on fire

Pittsburgh, Penn.: Nine police officers hurt and sent to the hospital in clashes with protesters

Providence, R.I: 9 officers injured after protesters threw bricks at them as violent protests erupted in the city

Richmond, Va.: Two officers hurt during a protest after being hit with a baseball bat and a beer bottle 

Rhode Island: Nine officers injured amongst rioting

Sacramento, Calif.: Seven police officers received minor injuries at the hands of violent protesters

Salt Lake City, Utah: 21 police officers required medical care after being injured by protesters, with one reporting that he was hit on the head with a baseball bat

San Antonio: Three officers were injured after being hit by bricks and bottles 

San Jose, Calif.: Several officers sustained injuries during a May 29 protest and one was sent to the hospital

Santa Ana, Calif.: Two officers had to be taken to the hospital after being hit in the head by projectiles thrown at them by protesters

St. Louis, Mo.: 77-year-old David Dorn, a retired police officer, was shot dead by looters. His death was broadcast live on Facebook. Four other police officers were also shot in downtown St. Louis by violent protesters

Washington, D.C.: 11 Washington police officers injured during Sunday’s protests. One officer required surgery after being hit by a brick in the leg. Over 50 members of the Secret Service were also hurt during clashes, some sustaining injuries from Molotov cocktails

The reason this story was important is because the race/politics of the perpetrators were white/conservative.  Do you have any idea how many police were injured or killed over last summer during the riots?  Probably not because it is not part of the narrative.
The reason that the Capitol riot is important is because it was a riot inside the Capitol of the United States. The story would have been covered by the mainstream press regardless of the racial makeup of the perpetrators. The reason that we know this to be true is because many of the people involved were not white -- including the organizer of the whole "Stop The Steal" concept.

The persistent obsession with race, the forcible insertion of fictional race narratives, and the insistence upon seeing race where others don't, is ludicrous. It's also kind of insulting and patronizing to the many people of various ethnic backgrounds who participated in the riot. They deserve to be treated with equality by their defenders, just as much as they should be treated equally by the press.

Same as others bringing up Clinton, Maxine and others to deflect from Trump's impeachment.  

Same as others bringing up Clinton, Maxine and others to deflect from Trump's impeachment.  
Because fairness requires that judgements should be made with a consistent set of principles and not be swayed by the filter of politics.  Complaining about whataboutisms is just a cover for admitting to being a hypocritical political hack.  

Because fairness requires that judgements should be made with a consistent set of principles and not be swayed by the filter of politics.  Complaining about whataboutisms is just a cover for admitting to being a hypocritical political hack.  
I don't have a real dog in this particular fight, but I find the term "whataboutism" is as loaded as all get out and comes from the playbook of the left because they try and maintain the high ground they erroneously claim to have. They want the American rightists to address their sins, and their sins only. It's silly and childish, IMO. Hypocrisy breaches trust in a lot of things, and trust is important in governance and sociopolitical matters. It's unfair to hold two sides to differing standards.

That said, I'm not sure your race/NYT thing narrative is especially enlightening when it comes to people storming the Capitol. Every news station cut to it. It was scary in real time. Imagining one branch of government rendered completely null and void through violent means is something to talk about and be scared of. May they prosecute each of these intruders that aren't mentally ill (and I think a significant portion was either mentally ill or rendered temporarily psychotic) to the fullest.

The reason this story was important is because the race/politics of the perpetrators were white/conservative.  Do you have any idea how many police were injured or killed over last summer during the riots?  Probably not because it is not part of the narrative.  Here are a few data points from the peaceful protests which include numerous instances of throwing bricks, gunfire injuries and vehicles running over officers.  These stories are barely covered by the media and none of these officers or their families received box seats at the Super Bowl or any Congressional Medals of Honor.

Albany, N.Y.: Officer sent to the hospital after protester throws a brick at him

Atlanta: Officer Maximilian Brewer underwent surgery after a protester hit him with an ATV 

Brockton, Mass.: One state trooper and a few local Brockton police officers suffered minor injuries

Buffalo, N.Y.: Two police officers are hit by a vehicle and one other has his leg broken and pelvis shattered after protesters run him over

Champaign, Ill: Several police officers suffered minor injuries after allegedly being assaulted

Cincinnati, Ohio: Officer narrowly escaped death after a bullet struck his ballistic helmet

Columbia, S.C.: 15 law enforcement personnel injured during a Saturday riot

Chicago: 132 Chicago Police Department officers injured in violent riots in the city

Davenport, Iowa: A plainclothes police officer injured after an individual opened fire on his vehicle

Denver: Three city police officers sent to the hospital after a hit-and-run that also injured a bystander

Harrisburg, Penn.: Two police officers sent to the hospital during a violent protest on Saturday

Las Vegas: One cop put on life support after he was shot in the head during a violent protest on Monday; 12 additional officers injured during Friday’s rioting

Los Angeles: 27 LAPD officers injured during weekend rioting

Lynchburg, Va.: Several officers were shot at during protests but were not injured  

Minnesota: Police officers shot at during a protest, and a precinct in the city was set on fire by protesters

Maryland: Protesters injured four county police officers and damaged several police cruisers

New York City: Dozens of NYPD officers injured during weekend rioting with one video showing an officer being struck by a car in a hit-and-run.

Over 350 NYPD officers injured in two weeks of protests. Injuries include being hit by vehicles, head injuries from bricks and fire extinguishers as well as other serious wounds.

Oak Lawn, Il.: Three officers injured during Monday’s protests

Oakdale, Calif: Two officers suffered injuries after a clash broke out at a protest.

Philadelphia: City police reported several assaults on officers and multiple police cars set on fire

Pittsburgh, Penn.: Nine police officers hurt and sent to the hospital in clashes with protesters

Providence, R.I: 9 officers injured after protesters threw bricks at them as violent protests erupted in the city

Richmond, Va.: Two officers hurt during a protest after being hit with a baseball bat and a beer bottle 

Rhode Island: Nine officers injured amongst rioting

Sacramento, Calif.: Seven police officers received minor injuries at the hands of violent protesters

Salt Lake City, Utah: 21 police officers required medical care after being injured by protesters, with one reporting that he was hit on the head with a baseball bat

San Antonio: Three officers were injured after being hit by bricks and bottles 

San Jose, Calif.: Several officers sustained injuries during a May 29 protest and one was sent to the hospital

Santa Ana, Calif.: Two officers had to be taken to the hospital after being hit in the head by projectiles thrown at them by protesters

St. Louis, Mo.: 77-year-old David Dorn, a retired police officer, was shot dead by looters. His death was broadcast live on Facebook. Four other police officers were also shot in downtown St. Louis by violent protesters

Washington, D.C.: 11 Washington police officers injured during Sunday’s protests. One officer required surgery after being hit by a brick in the leg. Over 50 members of the Secret Service were also hurt during clashes, some sustaining injuries from Molotov cocktails
There have not been any BLM protests/riots this year though correct?    I know there still have been a little rioting still in Portland and seattle but thats about it.

What was the official cause of death?
Not sure.  As big of a false story it was that he was bludgeoned by a fire extinqusher now seems pretty quiet on the actual cause of death.  Plus he was cremated right away as well so it will be difficult to find out.

Has CNN retracted anything yet?

There have not been any BLM protests/riots this year though correct?    I know there still have been a little rioting still in Portland and seattle but thats about it.
The ONLY reason BLM/Antifa was out there to begin was simply because of Trump.  Now that Trump is out there is no need to riot and burn things down.

Users who are viewing this thread