What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY Times - what the heck? (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
I just heard today that Officer Sicknick wasn’t killed by a fire extinguisher during the riot. So I looked it up and it looks like it was a false story run by the New York Times of all people. Here’s the backstory on it - https://www.worldtribune.com/ny-times-reported-officer-sicknick-was-killed-by-a-pro-trump-mob-wheres-the-evidence/

First off, how does a new outlet like the Times get such critical facts wrong when there were facts to the contrary released by the Capital Police?  And why no retraction?  This type of crap can’t happen. It erodes public confidence in our institutions and makes it look like everything is agenda driven.  It’s also done by the Right, but this is the one that pops today and it’s truly flabbergasting. Hopefully I’m missing something here.

I just heard today that Officer Sicknick wasn’t killed by a fire extinguisher during the riot. So I looked it up and it looks like it was a false story run by the New York Times of all people. Here’s the backstory on it - https://www.worldtribune.com/ny-times-reported-officer-sicknick-was-killed-by-a-pro-trump-mob-wheres-the-evidence/

First off, how does a new outlet like the Times get such critical facts wrong when there were facts to the contrary released by the Capital Police?  And why no retraction?  This type of crap can’t happen. It erodes public confidence in our institutions and makes it look like everything is agenda driven.  It’s also done by the Right, but this is the one that pops today and it’s truly flabbergasting. Hopefully I’m missing something here.
What was the official cause of death?

What was the official cause of death?

Alexandra Limon was the first person reporting the fire extinguisher story, not the NYT. 

They repeated it, but they didnt start it. 

Not surprised at the least.  It’s a worthless news outlet.  

worldtribune.com?
Are you doubting the story?  Because it's been known for quite a while that the fire extinguisher didn't kill him.  Is CNN acceptable?

According to one law enforcement official, medical examiners did not find signs that the officer sustained any blunt force trauma, so investigators believe that early reports that he was fatally struck by a fire extinguisher are not true.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/politics/brian-sicknick-charges/index.html

First i heard if it.  So these 5 death that the media keeps endlessly harping on:

- Police officer of unknown causes

- An unarmed protestor shot by police

- A protester by heart attack

- A protestor by stroke

- A protestor crushed in the crowd

So the media keeps misrepresenting the truth and even lied and does not care to correct.  We know for certain if this was a BLM protest the ONLY death we would be hearing about is #2.   The hypocripsy and lies are freaking sickening.  

First i heard if it.  So these 5 death that the media keeps endlessly harping on:

- A protestor by stroke

So the media keeps misrepresenting the truth and even lied and does not care to correct.  We know for certain if this was a BLM protest the ONLY death we would be hearing about is #2.   The hypocripsy and lies are freaking sickening.  
This is a good post.  I hate all media, Right and Left, and the lies by both is frightening to say the least. The fact that NY Times ran multiple stories about it suggests it wasn’t just a mistake. And they never issued a retraction?  Am I missing something here? I normally don’t believe conspiracy theories but man this one doesn’t look good. Kudos to CNN for covering it though.

This is a good post.  I hate all media, Right and Left, and the lies by both is frightening to say the least. The fact that NY Times ran multiple stories about it suggests it wasn’t just a mistake. And they never issued a retraction?  Am I missing something here? I normally don’t believe conspiracy theories but man this one doesn’t look good. Kudos to CNN for covering it though.
Yes, you are missing quite a bit.

This seems like a good post for the Healing And Moving Forward thread.
We appreciate your continued snarkiness.  You come in with nothing but snark and then are shocked when responded to in kind.  Too funny really, but not unexpected. 

The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear, and the Capitol Police said only that he had “passed away due to injuries sustained while on duty.” At some point in the chaos — with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress while lawmakers were forced to hide under their desks — he was struck with a fire extinguisher, according to two law enforcement officials.

- A protestor by stroke

That a police officer died from a reaction to bear spray as opposed to getting beaten during the riots should be reported correctly (has his death be determined, thought it was still being determined).

But does that improve the outlook we should have on the Capitol riot? Don't get your point here.

It’s bizarre that people are still believing the NY Times.  It’s like I said earlier - we are do polarized now that each tribe has its own media and it’s adherents don’t believe anything else. 
This is kind of crazy thing to say. Didn't the Times update their reporting?

The New York Times makes mistakes from time to time. It’s pretty rare.  Along with the Washington Post, it’s the most trustworthy source of American journalism we have. 
I’m glad you jumped in because you seem like one of the more thoughtful and informed people in here. Why haven’t they corrected it? That’s unusual no?

The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear, and the Capitol Police said only that he had “passed away due to injuries sustained while on duty.” At some point in the chaos — with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress while lawmakers were forced to hide under their desks — he was struck with a fire extinguisher, according to two law enforcement officials.
Is that your reporting? The Capitol Police said there was no gash in his head and he told his brother about the incident and never mentioned any head injury.

I’m glad you jumped in because you seem like one of the more thoughtful and informed people in here. Why haven’t they corrected it? That’s unusual no?
Thanks for the kind words. Are you sure they haven’t corrected it? Most sources have. 

That a police officer died from a reaction to bear spray as opposed to getting beaten during the riots should be reported correctly (has his death be determined, thought it was still being determined).

But does that improve the outlook we should have on the Capitol riot? Don't get your point here.
His death could have been from covid for all we know at this point.

And that is what is most relevant. We dont know how he died. 

All we know is that the fire extinguisher has fallen apart (i mean there wasnt much there to begin with). 

I think that’s a huge difference no? People don’t die from bear spray.  There’s no intent to do harm there - more to just keep someone or a bear away. Bashing someone with a fire extinguisher is straight up murder.

No, this isn't unusual. At all. Stories evolve, new sources and new quotes are added. A "correction" would not be justified in this case unless the original source(s) were misquoted.

All we know is that the fire extinguisher has fallen apart (i mean there wasnt much there to begin with). 
So two issues for me would be first it should be reported correctly, not sure where that all is at.

Second, does this paint a different picture about Jan 6th. No. 

Is that your reporting? The Capitol Police said there was no gash in his head and he told his brother about the incident and never mentioned any head injury.
That's from the NY Times story last month.

This is kind of crazy thing to say. Didn't the Times update their reporting?
I was responding to joffer’s comment that he didn’t believe my story because it was written in the world tribune. And no the Times didn’t issue a rebuttal to the story which is why this is so strange.

I think that’s a huge difference no? People don’t die from bear spray.  There’s no intent to do harm there - more to just keep someone or a bear away. Bashing someone with a fire extinguisher is straight up murder.
For prosecuting someone yeah that makes a big difference. They should report that better. People investigating it for legal matters are doing that right?

So two issues for me would be first it should be reported correctly, not sure where that all is at.

Sure it does. It obviously does. If it didnt then so much wouldnt have been printed about his death to begin with. 

It cant be a huge deal, but then also be nothing.

Obviously the magnitude of the difference is open to debate, but it is different. 

No, this isn't unusual. At all. Stories evolve, new sources and new quotes are added. A "correction" would not be justified in this case unless the original source(s) were misquoted.
interesting. I thought something like this would be corrected since it’s such a big issue.  I think we should expect more out of the media especially the ny times.

It was very important to quickly even the score after Capitol Hill Police shot a protester.  
Think about this. The narrative had to be that the protesters were equally (more) violent.  It's a pretty key point in how Jan 6th would be portrayed. Doesnt matter we find out weeks later it was all fabricated. 

One thing to remember is there was the throwing of a fire extinguisher at cops. I saw that #### on tv - I’m positive of it.  That hasn’t changed. Neither has all the other violence caught on film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about this. The narrative had to be that the protesters were equally (more) violent.  It's a pretty key point in how Jan 6th would be portrayed. Doesnt matter we find out weeks later it was all fabricated. 
See this is what scares me. If three media is this corrupt we are in deep do-do. That’s why they should correct it. Things like this give rise to distrust.

interesting. I thought something like this would be corrected since it’s such a big issue.  I think we should expect more out of the media especially the ny times.
There's nothing to be corrected. The Times was actually one of the more accurate media outlets when it comes to the Sicknick story. Many outlets overtly stated that Sicknick was killed as a result of being hit by a fire extinguisher, but the Times went out of its way to write "The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear".

When a story is important to advance the left's narratiive, facts and verification and source do not seem all that important. 

See this is what scares me. If three media is this corrupt we are in deep do-do. That’s why they should correct it. Things like this give rise to distrust.
History will be that there were no rules once Trump was in office. Hopefully that history ends now that he is out of office.  

There's nothing to be corrected. The Times was actually one of the more accurate media outlets when it comes to the Sicknick story. Many outlets overtly stated that Sicknick was killed as a result of being hit by a fire extinguisher, but the Times went out of its way to write "The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear".
I’m seeing a different article where the Times says he was beaten to death. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/us/politics/police-officer-killed-capitol.html

Sure it does. It obviously does. If it didnt then so much wouldnt have been printed about his death to begin with. 

It cant be a huge deal, but then also be nothing.

Obviously the magnitude of the difference is open to debate, but it is different. 
That he died while there were rioters at the Capitol because our president spent months spreading disinformation is the story.

This NY Times writer was sloppy and should learn how to be better at their job. That they didn’t update this story is bad work on their part if they haven’t.

Users who are viewing this thread