What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (1 Viewer)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
Yes. Describes quite a few people actually. 
sure.  the studies do show that vaccination plus having natural antibodies is better, but for him and those like him (young, healthy and with natural antibodies) making an informed decision to decline a vaccine seems fine.  

sure.  the studies do show that vaccination plus having natural antibodies is better, but for him and those like him (young, healthy and with natural antibodies) making an informed decision to decline a vaccine seems fine.  
Agreed "those like him", American citizens with the freedom to make their own medical decisions

Then let us continue to discuss how to effort the problem from a logistical standpoint.

I've said here in the FBG forums for the last 15 years, that any practical and functional solution needs a logistical pathway.

If you can't reduce the patient load, then let's look at increasing the manpower in place and changing the layout/structure in how the most severe cases of COVID19 are placed/housed.

You are saying everyone should get vaccinated. That's the ideal. But it's not going to happen. So let's unpack what we can do given the realities presented to both of us.

Let's start with the first issue

1) In terms of manpower, the organization in America best suited for complex large scale training and to expedite it and has the infrastructure in place to currently and practically support that is the US military.

So let's say several US military bases are used as training centers. Obviously you can't churn out a nurse or a doctor in 3 months. However, how fast could you train someone to handle the most common functions needed to handle a COVID19 patient? These people would be paid by the US government, thus would federal employees, who chose voluntarily to apply, thus would be under the vaccine mandate ( well the portion that would survive SCOTUS scrutiny) These people get a federal paycheck, gain some work experience and are offered some kind of future loan forgiveness if they pursue a degree related to joining the medical/health care industry. Then they are distributed on a need basis to hospitals around the country. They don't impact that hospitals own internal budget but it offers manpower and reinforcements.

A Presidential Executive Order ( pretend we had one right now with the cognitive reasoning to be able to do that) would bypass some of the issues of licensing/bureaucratic red tape.

If it sounds like I'm talking functional large scale triage, than that's exactly what it sounds like.

As a long standing health care professional, how fast could one practically train someone to handle the core work with COVID19 patients? I'm talking meat and bones.  Yes, I understand there are nuances you can't replace with practical work experience/tenure of a long standing health care professional who has been battle tested, done rotations, done internships, etc, etc, but tell me what would it take?

If you can't stop the flow of patients, then you can try to change the number of people fighting it on the front lines.

I'm open to hearing if you had no choice but to lay out a plan to increase the manpower, what would you do to make it functional and to expedite it.

I look forward to your response.
Don't need a convoluted solution. We just need to continue applying pressure and educate those with vaccine hesitancy. 

TBH, we already appear to be turning the corner, in this country at least.

I think we need to hamper misinformation as much as possible.  I think disinformation should be removed completely without pause.  I'm not sure where we went off the rails and blurred the line between fact and opinion, but they aren't equal and shouldn't be treated as such.

This new narrative of "everyone should be allowed to throw nonsense out there and let everyone decide what is right or wrong" has never made sense to me.  This isn't because I am against people throwing nonsense out there.  They can do what they want.  But those same people are incapable of understanding that when they do that and their nonsense is correctly labeled as such, it's because it's nonsense.  It's not because people are trying to silence the truth.  It's the most circular argument I've seen in forever and there's no way out of it.  They don't get that it's labeled nonsense because it's nonsense.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not happy about it.  I wish we had platforms where we could fight facts or claims with facts and claims instead of deleting what we don't agree with.  There have been multiple times the "facts" have turned out to be inaccurate.  It's scary really, they don't want people to think for themselves.  

I'm not happy about it.  I wish we had platforms where we could fight facts or claims with facts and claims instead of deleting what we don't agree with.  There have been multiple times the "facts" have turned out to be inaccurate.  It's scary really, they don't want people to think for themselves.  
We do....but youtube is NOT one of them neither is reddit or any other social media platform.  To my knowledge that's never been their intention or mission.  At best, youtube is a platform to disseminate information AFTER it's been "fought".  

As a progressive, even I have a hard time with this.

However, at some point We The People need to make hard decisions about what we believe is in the best interest of the overall public.  I personally am on the fence with vax mandates, but I am less worried about a private business choosing to limit content.

We do....but youtube is NOT one of them neither is reddit or any other social media platform.  To my knowledge that's never been their intention or mission.  At best, youtube is a platform to disseminate information AFTER it's been "fought".  
Youtube has NEVER been that. 

This seems to be an argument along the lines of "who gets to decide what is misinformation versus fact".  In this particular case, it seems obvious that YouTube gets to decide.  It's their platform.  Until recently, the idea that a private business gets to determine their own policies would have been a policy that conservatives agreed with and supported emphatically.

This seems to be an argument along the lines of "who gets to decide what is misinformation versus fact".  In this particular case, it seems obvious that YouTube gets to decide.  It's their platform.  Until recently, the idea that a private business gets to determine their own policies would have been a policy that conservatives agreed with and supported emphatically.
I agree with companies determining their own policy.  When a media company censors "misinformation" based on its world view, it is potentially creating "misinformation" with it's censorship.  That I have a problem with.  People will move to other platforms if Youtube gets too far out of its lane though. 

Youtube has NEVER been that. 

When did that start lol?

My comment wasn't clear based on these responses.  I'm saying at best, in an ideal world, youtube could hope to be that.  And that comment is made in the context of Max's comment 

I wish we had platforms where we could fight facts or claims with facts and claims instead of deleting what we don't agree with. 
We have those platforms.  They aren't social media though.  In my view, if you're going to social media for this type of thing, you're doing it wrong.  Apologies for the poor wording.

I agree with companies determining their own policy.  When a media company censors "misinformation" based on its world view, it is potentially creating "misinformation" with it's censorship.  That I have a problem with.  People will move to other platforms if Youtube gets too far out of its lane though. 
The bolded seems to imply that there really isn't a problem here, then?  You can disagree with YouTube's actions and move elsewhere, as can millions of others.

Unfortunate that it has come to this.  However, what is more unfortunate is that such a large percentage of the population is incapable of understanding or synthesizing the difference between fact and nonsense.  And people are dying as a result.  So, someone’s right to disseminate garbage online is trumped by public health and safety.  

People “thinking for themselves” is the core of the problem.  In the age of social media, everyone thinks they are an expert on every topic.  Not based on actually academically studying a subject matter, but by consuming information via social media.  

The fact that laypeople argue with virologists and immunologists about covid and vaccine efficacy tells you everything you need to know about how bananas things have really gotten.  

People “thinking for themselves” is the core of the problem.  In the age of social media, everyone thinks they are an expert on every topic.  Not based on actually academically studying a subject matter, but by consuming information via social media.  

The fact that laypeople argue with virologists and immunologists about covid and vaccine efficacy tells you everything you need to know about how bananas things have really gotten.  
Thinking for yourself is not a problem in any way. Yes, there are dumb people, but when they argue with an expert, the expert needs to argue their side and anyone watching should be able to tell which arguement holds more weight. 

Censoring arguements and conflicting theories is dangerous and doesn't lead us to a future with a thoughtful exchange of ideas. 

Thinking for yourself is not a problem in any way. Yes, there are dumb people, but when they argue with an expert, the expert needs to argue their side and anyone watching should be able to tell which arguement holds more weight. 

Censoring arguements and conflicting theories is dangerous and doesn't lead us to a future with a thoughtful exchange of ideas. 
Ideas like fake election fraud and taking horse dewormer as an alternate to a vaccine do not contribute to a thoughtful exchange of ideas.   If they weren't protected by Section 230, allowing such nonsense to be posted would get those sites sued.

Ideas like fake election fraud and taking horse dewormer as an alternate to a vaccine do not contribute to a thoughtful exchange of ideas.   If they weren't protected by Section 230, allowing such nonsense to be posted would get those sites sued.
Election fraud happened, to what extent is debatable. Ivermectin has health benefits and other countries are using Ivermectin as a treatment option. Your take that these ideas are so absurd they should be censored and removed from public consumption is the troubling part of this discussion. 

Election fraud happened, to what extent is debatable. Ivermectin has health benefits and other countries are using Ivermectin as a treatment option. Your take that these ideas are so absurd they should be censored and removed from public consumption is the troubling part of this discussion. 
This is exactly the kind of thing we mean.  You have zero evidence of this.  None.  Zip.  Zilch.  Literally not one iota of evidence that would hold up in court.  Yet you proclaim it over and over again like it's fact.

And another here. The repetition of this as fact (it is not) has led to people buying this #### and poisoning themselves.

Yes, there are dumb people, but when they argue with an expert, the expert needs to argue their side and anyone watching should be able to tell which argument holds more weight.
People rarely watch actual two-party debate on YouTube.

And another here. The repetition of this as fact (it is not) has led to people buying this #### and poisoning themselves.
Real life US doctors have prescribed for treatment of covid.  That's fact.  Joe Rogan is one example.

Social media memes and such may have had some influence to people taking horse medication without guidance of a doctor, but, that's mostly just people being dumb.  

Election fraud happens in every single election.  That is now what is being discussed on these sites.  They are talking about election-changing widespread election fraud.  And everyone that is able to process data and information knows this is a lie.

No.  Sorry.  You or I have no business arguing vaccines or covid with a virology expert.  Or emergency medicine with an emergentologist (who we have on this board).  Why?  because we do not have even the most basic rudimentary understanding of the underlying science and medicine that informs such a topic, never mind the years of work that goes into becoming an expert on the subject.

You've just proved my point.  Because you have read some stuff online on the topic, you think your opinion should be given weight in the community of virology science and ideas.  It should not.  at all.  Our opinion on the subject has no weight and, in fact, the more we seek to be taken seriously on the subject, the bigger danger to public health we become.

We treated the afghan evacuees with it. India got its delta variant largely under control due to the use of Ivermectin. South America is using it as a treatment option. People arent ODing on Ivermectin.

Election fraud happens in every single election.  That is now what is being discussed on these sites.  They are talking about election-changing widespread election fraud.  And everyone that is able to process data and information knows this is a lie.
I was literally just told there is not one iota of election fraud in the 2020 election. 

Speaking of propaganda and misinformation

Poison control centers are seeing a dramatic surge in calls from people who are self-medicating with ivermectin, an anti-parasite drug for animals that some falsely claim treats COVID-19.

According to the National Poison Data System (NPDS), which collects information from the nation's 55 poison control centers, there was a 245% jump in reported exposure cases from July to August — from 133 to 459.

Meanwhile, emergency rooms across the country are treating more patients who have taken the drug, after being persuaded by false and misleading information spread on the internet, by talk show hosts and by political leaders. Most patients are overdosing on a version of the drug that is formulated to treat parasites in cows and horses.

The troubling trend has been on the rise since the start of 2021 — despite warnings from state health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention against taking ivermectin. The NPDS says 1,143 ivermectin exposure cases were reported between Jan. 1 and Aug. 31. That marks an increase of 163% over the same period last year.
Damn facts.

No.  Sorry.  You or I have no business arguing vaccines or covid with a virology expert.  Or emergency medicine with an emergentologist (who we have on this board).  Why?  because we do not have even the most basic rudimentary understanding of the underlying science and medicine that informs such a topic, never mind the years of work that goes into becoming an expert on the subject.

You've just proved my point.  Because you have read some stuff online on the topic, you think your opinion should be given weight in the community of virology science and ideas.  It should not.  at all.  Our opinion on the subject has no weight and, in fact, the more we seek to be taken seriously on the subject, the bigger danger to public health we become.
I'm sorry you have to be told what to think by everyone around you. 

I never said my opinion should be weighted. I express it and we can discuss my opinion. The fact that my opinion on the matter bothers people so much should lead to some self reflection, but it doesn't. 

Liberals wanting to censor free speech is a bigger threat to our way of life than covid.

We treated the afghan evacuees with it. India got its delta variant largely under control due to the use of Ivermectin. South America is using it as a treatment option. People arent ODing on Ivermectin.
Max, you seem like a good dude, and I thank you for your service, but your sources are greatly letting you down. You seem to be looking for information, but then you post stuff like this.

You don’t seem to be completely understanding the complex information you are trying to digest. That is completely normal, you aren’t a doctor or scientist, and this isn’t in your wheelhouse. However, you do yourself a disservice with this kind of post, and allowing your biases and preconceived notions to get in the way of becoming informed. People are taking the time to digest information for you, and help you grasp what is out there, but you need to be open-minded to what they are saying.

Trust but verify is fine, but trust, then verify from experts and vetted sources, would be my advice. Just my .02, so take it or leave it, but you are posting a lot of goofy stuff, man. 

Max, you seem like a good dude, and I thank you for your service, but your sources are greatly letting you down. You seem to be looking for information, but then you post stuff like this.

You don’t seem to be completely understanding the complex information you are trying to digest. That is completely normal, you aren’t a doctor or scientist, and this isn’t in your wheelhouse. However, you do yourself a disservice with this kind of post, and allowing your biases and preconceived notions to get in the way of becoming informed. People are taking the time to digest information for you, and help you grasp what is out there, but you need to be open-minded to what they are saying.

Trust but verify is fine, but trust, then verify from experts and vetted sources, would be my advice. Just my .02, so take it or leave it, but you are posting a lot of goofy stuff, man. 
Appreciate the kind words, but tell me, what did I actually get wrong in any of those statements?

I'm sorry you have to be told what to think by everyone around you. 

I never said my opinion should be weighted. I express it and we can discuss my opinion. The fact that my opinion on the matter bothers people so much should lead to some self reflection, but it doesn't. 

Liberals wanting to censor free speech is a bigger threat to our way of life than covid.
I don't need to be told what to think by everyone around me.  that is not what I said.  but i am smart enough to know that i not remotely qualified to have an independent informed view on the efficacy of vaccines.  I must rely on the experts with respect to that subject matter.

https://thetexan.news/active-election-fraud-prosecutions-at-an-all-time-high-texas-attorney-generals-office-testifies/

Active Election Fraud Prosecutions at an ‘All Time High,’ Texas Attorney General’s Office Testifies

So is the point that we can only discuss election fraud to the point its proven in court? 

If you want to accurately say "it happened" then yes, you would have to prove it in court first.  That should be self-evident, should it not?

And let's be serious, Max.  You've been harping on "stolen election" for damn close to a year now with nothing to show for it.  You didn't mean 43 cases of people accidentally forgetting to put a stamp on their mail-in ballot and you know it.

Users who are viewing this thread