What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you watch baseball? (1 Viewer)

When's the last time you attended a game?

• 1-3 years ago

Votes: 114 51.1%
  • 3-5 years ago

Votes: 43 19.3%
  • 5+ years ago

Votes: 64 28.7%
  • Never

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
answered no and 5+ years, but have in recent years gone to local youth/amateur league games and enjoyed them.  they're free and concessions are cheap and support a good cause.

i imagine i would enjoy having a decent minor league or quality summer league venue conveniently located.

can always watch baseball, rarely choose to, but that's actually changed in the last year. for the last decade, the color man for the Sox has alternated between former greats Jerry Remy & Dennis Eckersley, depending on whether Remy was healthy or wanted to travel and whenever Eck wasnt having more fun elsewhere.. during the lockdown last year, though, they both started coming in to the remote studio location together and it was magic for this ol hoss. cuz baseball is about the chatter, whether on the field, from the dugout, in the booth or at home. the one sanctified memory of growing up is me Ma ironing in the kitchen, with her giant fwaddafwadda arm operating the moistening bottle and ten-ton iron while listening to Curt Gowdy call the ballgame on the radio. i talked baseball incessantly when i was a kid, probably learned half the color i have in expressing myself from that. hell, my inner calendar developed its own synesthesia related to where we were in the season/offseason. i do fantasy sports now because it gives the regularity & continuity that baseball used to. i have access to all the other media but, when i check the Sox score and it's RemDog & Eck - two guys of my generation, each comprising different halves of my orientation - working the game, i stop and get into the moment of sport in a way i otherwise cannot.  :heart:

I try to watch all O's games when I'm home, although they make it hard to do so sometimes. :rant:

I also try to get to 2-3 games a year.

I don't get the channel the Dodgers games are usually on, like most of LA/OC.  Stupid Sportsnet LA. But even then I might put it on for an inning or two, or background noise if I am doing other things and no one wants to watch something else.

I do get to a couple games a year though.  A buddy of mine has season tickets to the Angels (12 rows behind the Angels dugout) and gives me one of the Dodger games every season.  Kid loves going to Dodger stadium so we'll go later this season.

wazoo11 said:
Just curious as a barometer for interest of baseball and Ohtani.

I've been on and off as a casual Red Sox fan. It's always fun to attend a game but it's also time consuming too. It helps as a sox fan they're Fielding a likeable team this year too. 
I'm an Indians fan.  :bag:  As such, I'm a glutton for punishment.  As I live 2.5 hours away, it's far easier to watch at home.

More likely is that I'll take in an Erie Seawolves game.

TV? No. I do check the scores and standings every day though. It reminds me of when I was a kid and would read the sports pages with my dad every morning he wasn't working on swing shift.

Live? I don't mind finding an excuse to watch the Cubs in person, to spend the day at a park.

Wife and I drove through Elsa yesterday to go to a double header in the Trop. In game 2 the Rays lineup included 5 rookies with 4 of them switch hitters.

We watch every game on the tube that we don't go to. 22 come from behind wins this season.

The most entertaining team in baseball!

I’ll watch an inning or two of the Rays most nights. If they’re winning I’ll definitely watch the 9th or if I’m checking Twitter and see Franco is due up I’ll flip over. It’s probably been over a decade since I’ve watched all 9 innings though (other than their World Series games) and I haven’t watched two non-Rays teams play in like 20 years. It’s just way too boring. 

Wife and I drove through Elsa yesterday to go to a double header in the Trop. In game 2 the Rays lineup included 5 rookies with 4 of them switch hitters.

We watch every game on the tube that we don't go to. 22 come from behind wins this season.

You’re a good fan :thumbup:  

Dang. I really wanted to go for those games. Good stuff all around.

Raging weasel said:
Dont mind the 7 innings for double headers but hate starting extra innings with a guy on 2nd
Agree on both. 9 inning double headers in today's slowww game would take up an 8 hour day.  The extra inning thing is awful. Other team doesn't even need a hit to score a run.

My sons are 17 and 19, going into their first and second year of college respectively.  I watched them play baseball, football, and basketball at varying stages since they were each 3.  Their high school careers, (other than the younger one had one more season of basketball) ended with COVID.  I've tried going back to watching pro sports after their careers ended, and I just can't get into it.  Different sports has turned me away for different reasons I won't go into here, but I just can't find myself to care about them anymore.  I used to love a good Suday night Dodgers game, but can't stand sitting through a whole inning when I don't have a personal rooting interest anymore.  Football is the only sport I can enjoy watching a whole game of anymore.

wikkidpissah said:
can always watch baseball, rarely choose to, but that's actually changed in the last year. for the last decade, the color man for the Sox has alternated between former greats Jerry Remy & Dennis Eckersley, depending on whether Remy was healthy or wanted to travel and whenever Eck wasnt having more fun elsewhere.. during the lockdown last year, though, they both started coming in to the remote studio location together and it was magic for this ol hoss. cuz baseball is about the chatter, whether on the field, from the dugout, in the booth or at home. the one sanctified memory of growing up is me Ma ironing in the kitchen, with her giant fwaddafwadda arm operating the moistening bottle and ten-ton iron while listening to Curt Gowdy call the ballgame on the radio. i talked baseball incessantly when i was a kid, probably learned half the color i have in expressing myself from that. hell, my inner calendar developed its own synesthesia related to where we were in the season/offseason. i do fantasy sports now because it gives the regularity & continuity that baseball used to. i have access to all the other media but, when i check the Sox score and it's RemDog & Eck - two guys of my generation, each comprising different halves of my orientation - working the game, i stop and get into the moment of sport in a way i otherwise cannot.  :heart:
I miss Vin 

Been a White Sox fan my whole life. Luckily my wife and son also like to watch baseball so we pretty much see every game (I bought the MLB.tv pass the last 3 years).

Looking forward to seeing them in person when they come down to Tampa Bay next month. Hopefully Eloy and Robert will be back by then and we will make up the ground we lost without having them on the roster. Oh wait, we are up in the AL Central by 8 games. LOLOLOLOL. And #### the Cubs. 

I lived in St. Louis from 1996-2003 and became a rabid Cards fan.  Back then, I could tell you who their setup men were out of the pen and all of their bench fielders and when La Russa liked to use who.  We moved down to Springfield in 2003 (home to the AA affiliate and still predominantly Cardinal's territory despite the Royals).  Over the last 15 years or so, my passion has waned a great deal.  Part of it is having kids and priorities shifting (I also don't play fantasy football or golf very often).  But part of it is boredom with the sport in general.  I don't like going to the AA games here in town and I don't like watching games on TV.  I'd love to go to some games in St. Louis, but the cost is silly and I don't care enough to plan a weekend around it.

Yesterday I walked into a friends house and the Cards were on.  I don't think I could name a player on the team outside of Yadi or Goldschmidt and realized that I haven't watched a full game in over two years.  I have friends that still love and follow the Cards and my dad likes to watch them on the weekends and follows their season a great deal.  I guess I've just moved on for a number of reasons and baseball is almost completely off of my radar.
This kinda sounds like me.  Big baseball fan since I was a kid, and always a Cardinals fan, but about 7-8 years ago, my interest started dipping and before I knew it, I stopped caring.  I never watch anymore and I cannot name five current players on the Cardinals.  I will still tune in to some of the playoff games, but I basically don't give a crap about baseball anymore.  No clue why it happened, but I just lost interest. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On television, no.  Boring as heck.  I love going to games though.  Completely different experience.  Hanging out in the upper bleachers, drinking a very over-priced beer, etc.  KNOWING you have no responsibilities for the next 3 hours, just sit there and casually watch a ball game while making fun of other people with your buddy as you contemplate quitting your job and joining the circus.  Glorious.

So wrap your head around this....

As a teen my grandfather used to walk to stadium to watch the Washington Senators play.  Then he went to work, got married, went to war in the Pacific, came home, raised 3 kids, retired after a 30 year Union Carpenter. More than 70 years passed from the last time he went to a game. 

I took my then 90+ year old grandfather to see his first game in person in more than 70 years. 70 years between games!!! thats insane. 

Not sure of the year. Must have been around 2001. Yankees, Orioles. Mussina vs Clemons. 

Growing up in South Florida in the 70s and 80s, we didn't have MLB, we had Yankees minor league, Expos were somehow around and a few other minor league clubs, then maybe 1980-1981 we got cable television and I was hooked on the Braves, we wouldn't see the Florida Marlin until 1993 and so I never got to go to Baseball games much in person until....we moved to los Angeles in 2000 and my wife and I started going to Chavez Ravine and at the time you could buy a $6 ticket into the nosebleeds above home plate and bring your own snacks and water/soda into the stands which seems incredible that you could still do that even 20 yrs ago and I doubt they still are doing that. It was such a pretty place to walk in and watch a game. 

In 1998 I was at the Rays 1st game they ever played in St Pete and my son is mega attached to that team. The World Series was awful interesting to watch, it did hurt watching the Dodgers beat them but they had the experience and had been there before and were the better team but that Game 6....getting back to Chavez Ravine, good times catching up with friends, agreed. The weather couldn't be better and it's either Dodgers or the Hollywood Bowl, both offer great spots to hang out. 
You can still bring your own food and water. We bring dinner all the time as well as peanuts. Tickets are a little more than $6. An evening at Dodger Stadium or the Hollywood Bowl is fantastic. Great weather, great views, picnic dinner!

How do you not love baseball….

Tonight the Padres we’re down 8-0 in the 4th inning.  A rookie reliever just called up today from the minors, who happened to also be born and raised in San Diego, is asked to go in and eat some innings during the blow out.  He pitches his inning after that the Pads come up to bat and as it comes around to him in the batting order the bases are loaded.  In his first ever major league at bat, a pitcher, goes yard for a grand slam.  Hasn’t happened since 1898.  Yes 1898.  

I’m a Mets fan who lives in Central Florida. Watch many games via MLB app, also listen via mlb radio. Mets have the best tv and radio booths in mlb, imo, and makes watching/listening so much more enjoyable. I hate when we are on ESPN, usually mute the tv, use the dvr to pause the game enough to sync it with the Mets radio feed.

Also- my son (17) and I went to see the Mets about 2 months ago when they were in Tampa. Lost the game but still had a blast

Watch about 100 games a year on TV but haven't gone in a few years. Yankee stadium is way too expensive. Last time I went someone gave me tickets and the day still cost over $100 for food and parking.
You drove to Yankee stadium? Yikes. That's definitely something to be avoided if at all possible. 

How do you not love baseball….

Tonight the Padres we’re down 8-0 in the 4th inning.  A rookie reliever just called up today from the minors, who happened to also be born and raised in San Diego, is asked to go in and eat some innings during the blow out.  He pitches his inning after that the Pads come up to bat and as it comes around to him in the batting order the bases are loaded.  In his first ever major league at bat, a pitcher, goes yard for a grand slam.  Hasn’t happened since 1898.  Yes 1898.  
Off Max Scherzer to boot.

I will flip the Reds on if I'm around when they are playing but I rarely watch more than a few innings at a time. Love going to the local minor league games on occasion but haven't been yet this year. I also umpire high school and travel games. I really like the game a lot but it has to be a pretty compelling game to want to really watch it on TV for very long at all.

Born in '73, so not as a complete unit.  Earliest I remember seeing Rose live was when he was with the Phillies.  I obviously remember seeing the remnants in the 80's (Bench, Concepcion, Foster) and some in their return to the team (Perez, Griffey).
Parents were both originally from Charleston, W.V. and most of those folks just drive over to Cincinnati and support the Reds. '74 here, born in Florida but went for my 1st visit to WV in July '78, saw a doubleheader and Rose-Morgan-Concepcion-Foster-Griffey-Bench they were all there and actually got beat by the Phillies pretty bad in the 1st one but Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton would take the mound for the 2nd game a 2-1 Reds win and Bench homered off Carlton who went the whole distance even in the loss. I wish I were wide awake for all of it but being 4 years old I took some naps along the way. 

-The Baseball Bunch, Slurpee Baseball cards under the cup, Topps for a long time and then Fleer '81, Pirates Rally down 3-1 in '79, Royals vs Cardinals(Speed), Dale Murphy in '82 and '83, some of those gotta ring a bell. 

Good stuff.    

Ahem…. To answer the question….

I didn’t go for about a decade. I went to two Nats game before Covid hit and had a blast. Their stadium is REALLY nice. Most fun I’ve ever had at a baseball game but honestly it has nothing to do with the game, just the atmosphere. 

I really want to like baseball but it’s not easy to watch. Last year I attempted to pick a team. I didn’t want to hop on the Nats bandwagon since they just won so I picked the worst team I could possibly pick…. The Detroit Tigers!!!

A college friend organized a group of us to get together in 10 days to see the Yankees and Phillies in the Bronx, so that will be my first in-person post-pandemic baseball experience. Driving to Hoboken and then PATH/subway from there. 

Watching baseball on tv is boring.  Going to a game is fun.  Hang out in the upper bleachers, drink an overpriced beer, eat a couple of hot dogs, BS with whoever you went with, etc.

Think I may be done with baseball. Even though I have mlb.tv I haven’t watched a game since the first week or two of the season. Would still go to one live. 

One thing that drives me nuts about baseball is their ridiculous blackout rules. I live in Austin and am a big Detroit Tiger fan. I watch at least some of almost all of their games. 

But if they are playing in Dallas or Houston, mlb.tv blacks it out. Because apparently 200 miles is enough to be considered in the viewing range. Completely absurd.

Not a fan of 7 inning ball games, starting extra innings with a runner on second and 5 pitchers pitching 2 innings a piece.

Of the three probably less opposed to starting xtra innings with a guy on second.

I watch less baseball than I used to but I watch much less sports all together.
Wait, what is this?  Is this how MLB is now?

That I don’t know is clear indication I haven’t paid attention to baseball in years.  Generally I’ll try to watch the World Series, but I’ll tune in late for every game.  Live minor league ball is great still, or college ball, but after that pro baseball just isn’t interesting to me.

One thing that drives me nuts about baseball is their ridiculous blackout rules. I live in Austin and am a big Detroit Tiger fan. I watch at least some of almost all of their games. 

But if they are playing in Dallas or Houston, mlb.tv blacks it out. Because apparently 200 miles is enough to be considered in the viewing range. Completely absurd.
Yep, it’s a joke

Where I live the blackout teams are Phillies, Pirates, Mets and Yankees

🙄

3 hours ago, whoknew said:

Expand  
Yep, it’s a joke

Where I live the blackout teams are Phillies, Pirates, Mets and Yankees
It’s so awful.  I live in SoCal.  Pads, Dodgers (which I’m OK with 😉) and Angles all blacked out.  So nuts.  

Haven’t been overly interested in a couple seasons, but went to a Royals game last weekend. 

Holy ####! Pablo Lopez just struck out the first 9 Braves he faced! A new major league record!

And the poll needs an option for attended games this year. I've been to 4 Rays games including one away game that was actually closer to my house than the Trop. That was the Jays playing in Dunedin.

Flashback to summer of '68. My Dad was an engineer for Eastern Airlines in Miami and we could fly standby for basically free. He was a die hard Yankees fan.

He came in our room very early one Saturday morning and woke us up.  I was 10, my little bro 6. "Get up boys, we're going to a ball game. Wear your flying clothes." We had to wear little suits and ties when we flew.

Next thing you know we landed at JFK, hopped a bus. Boarded the subway. And then we were in the Bronx and entered the old Yankees Stadium for the annual Old Timer's Day game and then a real game against the Red Sox. 

The old man loved Mickey Mantle. When the Mick circled the stadium in a golf cart my Dad yelled like we'd never seen before. "Hey Mickey, Hey Mickey!" My brother and I looked at each other incredulously as we'd never seen him so excited.

My favorite player at the time was Bobby Murcer. He homered 2 rows behind us in left field later in the real game. It was my turn to yell like a crazed schoolgirl!

We were back in Miami that night.

My brother and I still reminisce the baseball day we'll never forget!

I could count on one, maybe two hands the number of innings of baseball I've watched on television in the last decade.  And 3 or 4 of them were the novelty of the Blue Jays playing in Buffalo last year.

I enjoy going to a game every now and again.  Usually go to 1, maybe 2 AAA games a year.  Went to a Jays game in Buffalo back in June.  I've actually been to 7 different MLB ballparks over the years.  Always love the casual atmosphere, the American nostalgia vibes, have a couple beers and enjoy the evening type of thing.  If I had a team I cared about, I'm sure I'd watch more, but as a neutral observer I just can't get interested in watching a game on television, unless it's like the 8th inning of a 1-run Game 7 of the World Series.

Been watching more baseball this year. As a Twins fan it has been painful but it is what it is.  Also playing more DFS baseball and have been doing pretty well. (part of the reason I have been watching more.   The service I use, I am able to watch all games, so usually I have one on in the background but not necessarily paying attention to it.  Wife is usually watching her tablet, so I might as well have something on the TV.

Yes....I watch baseball every day. Whether that is MLB, College, High School and soon the little League World Series. I even watch Women’s NCAA Softball.

I eat, sleep and breath baseball. Played hardball for over 20 years, coached the last 15 years.....just love it.

Attended my first Braves game vs The Marlins in Atlanta last week (my son was in GA playing a baseball tourney). Awesome park, atmosphere and scene. So sad for those folks losing the All-Star game. A shame. A real shame to the fans, the local business’s. Anyway....don't want to get into that here.

Baseball is better.

I went from an absolute diehard watcher of the sport to nonexistent in the span of ten years. Quite sad. So much time in between pitches the game seems interminable. And yes, you have seen it all before, played out in drama and crisis, all just ten years earlier. If I could forget, I'd watch some more. But it's just a lot of history repeating.

It's stats, man. Can't beat big data too long.

Users who are viewing this thread