What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you watch baseball? (2 Viewers)

When's the last time you attended a game?

• 1-3 years ago

Votes: 114 51.1%
  • 3-5 years ago

Votes: 43 19.3%
  • 5+ years ago

Votes: 64 28.7%
  • Never

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
I love college baseball.  Every game, every series is a big deal, and the postseason regionals, supers, right through the CWS in Omaha, is the baseball version of March Madness.  So much more entertaining than the long, drawn out MLB season.  

I watched a lot more MLB before the steroid thing blew up.  That season when McGwire and Sosa were launching bomb after bomb I just kinda drifted away from MLB.

Capella said:
A few weeks ago I had a game on, saw a pitch, went to take a leak, came back and they hadn’t thrown the next pitch yet. My wife was like I dunno, the guy is just standing there. The worst. 
Cappy, you nailed my problem with the game. Same thing. I'll be in the room, and a pitch is thrown. I'll walk out, maybe take a sip of water or something, come back in, and it's not even halfway to the next pitch yet. Then the guy will step off, to boot. Or the hitter calls for time. Thank you, fellas. This is now interminable.

I suppose quitting drinking had a lot to do with me not watching baseball anymore (I can take neither the wait between nor the weight of each individual pitch meaning something), but I had been not watching since about 2011, which saw an iteration of the Red Sox that had Beckett and Lester, each of whom took about thirty minutes in between pitches. It was ridiculous, and turned me off from the game entirely.

Especially given that year's Lackey, chicken, and beer version that flamed in typical Boston fashion, with the front office leaking stories about the clubhouse, sportswriters coming to the fore to address the team's negligence and neglect (Yes! Us! Your beloved, grizzled, yet faithful steed-like entities...Oh, m'lady, will one not hear the hard-earned laments of the Boston sportswriter?!), players chirping about it, and just a general ugliness surrounding the end of an epic collapse that pretty much soured me on the Boston ownership and front office and culture for good, not to mention souring me on the particulars in the situation, who were all eventually scuttled for pennies on the salary dollar.

Just obnoxious for a bit. Gutless all around and in every way.

2013 was nice and a good story and a great story of one of the best all time at center stage of it all, if defying all things PECOTA and age, and 2018 was apparently a cheat-fest, so we're not exactly ringing in the days with edifying fare here.

Anyway, that's a long-winded say of saying I don't watch. I miss it a bit. I miss the first wild card days of the playoffs which used to be so exciting. And fall baseball in the Northeast is something to behold, but I live in So Cal now, and it's still ninety degrees when they start and there ain't much special about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAABatteries said:
I know there's a lot of crapping on soccer but ignoring your position on the sport there's no denying it's a much better TV viewing experience. 
More action, yes. Better viewing experience is debatable. The best thing about baseball (and football) is that they’re unique. Soccer, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, water polo, etc, etc, etc are all fundamentally the same sport. Teams trying to put the object in the other teams goal.  :sleep:

And in some ways even Ruth tended to either hit or pitch well. With the Red Sox he pitched well but never hit more than 29 hrs,  and with the Yankees he only pitched in 5 games total his 16 years there.
interesting stat brought up by Scott Van Pelt last nite in some thoughts about comparing Ruth & Ohtani - those 29 home runs were such a high percentage of all the home runs hit in MLB in 1919 that one would have to hit over 200 dingers this season to match the %. of course, there are other comparison factors but it goes to show that, while both have been incredible, one was more revolutionary

Capella said:
A few weeks ago I had a game on, saw a pitch, went to take a leak, came back and they hadn’t thrown the next pitch yet. My wife was like I dunno, the guy is just standing there. The worst. 
Cappy, you nailed my problem with the game. Same thing. I'll be in the room, and a pitch is thrown. I'll walk out, maybe take a sip of water or something, come back in, and it's not even halfway to the next pitch yet. Then the guy will step off, to boot. Or the hitter calls for time. Thank you, fellas. This is now interminable.
Baseball has always been like this though. Maybe it has become a bit slower in recent years, but its always been a background thing for me.  If you follow fast moving sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, rugby, baseball is obviously brutal in comparison. I like going to the park as a social experience with good friends. I like having the game on the radio when I'm working outside, in the garage, around the house on the weekends. I will almost never sit on the couch and watch a baseball game until the playoffs, and then only if my team is in it.

interesting stat brought up by Scott Van Pelt last nite in some thoughts about comparing Ruth & Ohtani - those 29 home runs were such a high percentage of all the home runs hit in MLB in 1919 that one would have to hit over 200 dingers this season to match the %. of course, there are other comparison factors but it goes to show that, while both have been incredible, one was more revolutionary
True about the dead balls back then, and it's also too bad the Yanks shut him down as a pitcher or I'm sure he would have done well there.

Bob Nightengale @BNightengale

Rob Manfred says that seven-inning doubleheaders will go away after this season.
I liked this rule, but no big deal since double-headers are few and far between anyway.  Hope they keep the 2nd base runner in extra innings.

I watch a minimal amount, typically from when basketball season ends to when football season starts.  I do draft a $40 fantasy baseball team just to make sure I am interested in what happens.  Otherwise I doubt I'd give much of a crap, even if it was the playoffs.

PETE with the swag. This dude hasn't done #### on my fantasy team  :kicksrock:
That's because he doesn't have that old guy lobbing in beachballs for him to hit.  

After watching the entire event the biggest difference makers are the pitchers throwing.  The guy Alonso had was perfect for Alonso.  He put the ball in the same place 95% of the time and it was repeatable.  Some of the other guys were all over the place.  Gallo's pitcher was terrible.  Ohtani's guy was bad for awhile and then found his groove but Ohtani just petered out by the time that happened.  Story's guy was not that good in round 2.  Most people don't understand how big a difference that makes in the hitter's ease to hit them out.  

Let's ask the batter what pitch he is guessing as the pitcher goes into the windup.  I am sure that won't bother him at all.

Let's ask the batter what pitch he is guessing as the pitcher goes into the windup.  I am sure that won't bother him at all.
"Xander, Xander. What pitch is coming?"

X under his breath, "fastball."

Slider strikes him out. "He fooled you Xander. Haha."

Xander rips the earpiece out, "#### this ####!"

They make it sound like Ohtani doesn't pick up a bat except for games once the season starts.  He gets just as many swings as any other player only he does it in a cage.  Not that big of a deal.

And in some ways even Ruth tended to either hit or pitch well. With the Red Sox he pitched well but never hit more than 29 hrs,  and with the Yankees he only pitched in 5 games total his 16 years there.
I think he held the record at that time with 29 HR’s in his final season with Boston.

More action, yes. Better viewing experience is debatable. The best thing about baseball (and football) is that they’re unique. Soccer, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, water polo, etc, etc, etc are all fundamentally the same sport. Teams trying to put the object in the other teams goal.  :sleep:
I rather watch paint dry then watch mens soccer. I am not going to debate why......it simply sucks.

Certain fan bases are going ape #### over the lack of bats being drafted.
Pitching is the premium. Always has been.

However I was glad to read this morning that Manfred see’s the 7 inning double headers and pandemic extra innings rule going bye bye for 2020.

Also he would like to come to an agreement with the MLBPA (they don’t have to BTW but out of goodwill he rather have the players union’s blessing) to either eliminate or heavily modify the shift an get baseball back to where it was.

He calls’ it “Restoration” and I actually agree with him. Get rid of the crazy shifts, the sticky stuff and all of a sudden....situational hitting, bunting, stealing bases and the entire offense can start opening back up more. Lot’s more hits will happen. More action. More base runners. It is sorely needed.

The game today is hard to watch. I love it dearly....but I watched far more college baseball this year than MLB baseball.....first time in my life that has happened. Why?

College game is still pure.

The pro game has become brutal with sabermetrics. Just ask Blake Snell what he thinks about saber metrics from last years World Series.

You think Nolan Ryan allows himself to be taken out pitching a game like that in an elimination game for th World Series? 

GTFOH with this GM box/computer boy managerial horse ****. It really has gotten to point of enough already. Some coaches have even walked away from the game because of all this.

And player development needs to improve dramatically at both the high school and college levels. That is another whole conversation in of itself. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Baseball has always been like this though. Maybe it has become a bit slower in recent years, but its always been a background thing for me.  If you follow fast moving sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, rugby, baseball is obviously brutal in comparison. I like going to the park as a social experience with good friends. I like having the game on the radio when I'm working outside, in the garage, around the house on the weekends. I will almost never sit on the couch and watch a baseball game until the playoffs, and then only if my team is in it.
I've been a watcher since I was little and I disagree a bit with your contention. It got remarkably slower. Other than "The Human Rain Delay" in Mike Hargrove, it used to speed along fairly decently. But then the inter-at-bat delays started with the batters stepping out the box and parading around, adjusting their gloves, clapping their hands, etc., after each pitch. Then that seemed to disrupt pitcher rhythms so now they wait for the sign when the guy gets back in the box, and then they have trouble communicating about what pitch to throw. Then they step off.

Rinse. Repeat. Disgust on my end.

Maybe I just got older, too. I'm not totally belittling your point. And I watch football fervently, so there shouldn't be much difference there. It's just...seen it before.

I've been a watcher since I was little and I disagree a bit with your contention. It got remarkably slower. Other than "The Human Rain Delay" in Mike Hargrove, it used to speed along fairly decently. But then the inter-at-bat delays started with the batters stepping out the box and parading around, adjusting their gloves, clapping their hands, etc., after each pitch. Then that seemed to disrupt pitcher rhythms so now they wait for the sign when the guy gets back in the box, and then they have trouble communicating about what pitch to throw. Then they step off.

Rinse. Repeat. Disgust on my end.

Maybe I just got older, too. I'm not totally belittling your point. And I watch football fervently, so there shouldn't be much difference there. It's just...seen it before.
You’re not wrong

I watched Buehler and I can’t remember who else pitching earlier this year.  They were both working fast , get the ball take the sign throw the pitch. It’s noticeable when you watch a game with 2 guys like that today and it’s fantastic 

Also he would like to come to an agreement with the MLBPA (they don’t have to BTW but out of goodwill he rather have the players union’s blessing) to either eliminate or heavily modify the shift an get baseball back to where it was.

He calls’ it “Restoration” and I actually agree with him. Get rid of the crazy shifts, the sticky stuff and all of a sudden....situational hitting, bunting, stealing bases and the entire offense can start opening back up more. Lot’s more hits will happen. More action. More base runners. It is sorely needed.
If you get rid of the shift this will do the opposite of the bolded.  The bolded is the way to counteract the shift and make it useless.  If you had every hitter bunt into the vast open space available every time a team went into the shift they would stop shifting.  

Get rid of the sticky stuff - fine.  But the shift has nothing to getting baseball back to where it was.  The original alignment was that way because that is the way teams thought you could best cover the field and get outs.  It has nothing to do with positions or a certain rule or anything.  It is strictly where people thought you had the best chance of getting outs.  Nothing more, nothing less.

The shift is a team seeing where a player hits the ball most and then overloads that area to make it more difficult for them to get a hit.  If that player learns to bunt (and it doesn't even have to be good) then teams will stop shifting.  Playing the stuff you want to see (small ball, situational hitting, etc) will solve the issue naturally without forcing anything.  If you just eliminate the ability to shift to a hitters strengths you will just give even more justification to forget about small ball and just swing from the heels.  

If you eliminate the shift you also have to eliminate the infield in with a runner on third, 3rd baseman playing on the grass for bunts, bringing in the 5th infielder in the 9th of a tie game with the winning runner on 3rd.  You remove that much more strategy of the game that you are wanting to bring back.  

I have never understood why people don't like the shift.  What is it hurting?  It's easily beaten if players would just do the smart thing but they are stubborn (yes mostly due to sabermetrics saying swinging for a homer gives you a better chance to win than a bunt).  But if they start to realize that by bunting to defeat the shift it will open up much more of the field and give them better opportunities because people are on base to score it will change things.  Strategy goes in waves and baseball will catch up naturally without artificially restricted defensive zones.  

Shifting and defensive alignment is a cat and mouse game that adds to the strategy.  Just because hitters are behind doesn't mean you should take it away.  What is it you don't like about the shift?  What harm does it cause you?

I've never understood why hitters aren't willing to learn how to bunt and beat the shift.  Heck, some of those could turn into doubles if you bunted it hard enough.

I'm watching more this year after six years of losing interest because I'm not a fan of HR Derby baseball 24/7. I use to know every player and the Top 20 prospects on every team.  Now, I might be able to tell you one player on the Orioles.

As an Angel fan, I'm really enjoying watching Ohtani every game. I don't miss many Angel games.

Two nights ago, I booked a trip Sept 10-12.  Field of Dreams site on Sept 11 and Giants/Cubs at Wrigley on Sept 12. Taking my youngest son. Really looking forward to this. 

I love FBB more than FF because of the everyday action. Have played it for years and know all the MLB players.  That being said I own Acuna in a keeper league but have never actually seen him play other than highlights.  Pretty much the same for rest of my team.

In total I watch maybe 18 innings of MLB  a season.

Users who are viewing this thread