Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Black National Anthem is Here to Stay

2 hours ago, ekbeats said:

Still laughing that the OP chose to have the link text say 'the black one and the white one' 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Possibly the best $9.95 per month I’ve ever spent

No anthems, no opinions on anything, no “so and so knelt this week OMG!!!”

just football

I think RedZone proved just how boring watching a full game of football was.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kwille said:

Still laughing that the OP chose to have the link text say 'the black one and the white one' 

Archie Bunker quote I still remember, two guys at his work are named Elmo. He called the black guy "Black Elmo" and the white guy "Regular Elmo".

• Like 1
  • Laughing 5

3 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Eh

I think it proved that every football game has waaayyyy too many commercial breaks

A 3 hour football game has 11 minutes of in-play action.  That’s it.

Unless I misread the article, I don’t think it states that the other anthem will be played before each game going forward, just that it will be featured prominently.  It was featured last season as well. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PennStater77 said:

Why I am boycotting this year.. No Sunday Ticket, No Fantasy.. I have had enough.

Look on the bright side though.  That will free up more expendable income for you to send to people who led an insurrection on our country!!!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PennStater77 said:

Why I am boycotting this year.. No Sunday Ticket, No Fantasy.. I have had enough.

I plan to enjoy professional football AND Chick-fil-A. I think I come out the obvious winner on this. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squistion said:

A 60 minute game has only 11 minutes of in-play action. OK, if you say so...

Depends on how much enjoyment you get from watching the QB yell a string of words that are completely meaningless to you.

Speaking of clown shows, they should probably throw in a circus carnival ditty while 20 clowns try to get into a VW Bug.  Once in, Roger Goodell can drive them out the tunnel, Bo Jackson style.

3 minutes ago, djmich said:

Depends on how much enjoyment you get from watching the QB yell a string of words that are completely meaningless to you.

Yeah, right, in a 3 hour game all I ever see is a QB yelling a string of words that are completely meaningless, no running or passing plays, just that. 

11 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Unless I misread the article, I don’t think it states that the other anthem will be played before each game going forward, just that it will be featured prominently.  It was featured last season as well. 

Poorly written article, bug I heard on tv and the radio it will be before every game.

6 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Poorly written article, bug I heard on tv and the radio it will be before every game.

Interesting. Are spectators supposed to stand respectfully and quietly for the other anthem as well?  That will get old quickly for game attendees (of all colors) I think.

Edited by bigbottom

Just now, ekbeats said:

Based on a study done by the Wall St. Journal.  Surprised it didn’t hit your Twitter feed.

Don't subscribe to WSJ, so no this misstatement of facts that a 60 minute game only means seeing 11 minutes of in play action didn't hit my Twitter feed.

• Laughing 1

33 minutes ago, squistion said:

Yeah, Colin and friends were funny about the disproportionate number of unarmed black people that were being shot and killed by LEO's.

I'm sure playing an extra song before football games will solve all that.

• Like 1

Just now, the rover said:

I'm sure playing an extra song before football games will solve all that.

Colin Kaepernick's anthem protest did not call for an extra song before games to be played.

Edited by squistion

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

Don't subscribe to WSJ, so no this misstatement of facts that a 60 minute game only means seeing 11 minutes of in play action didn't hit my Twitter feed.

A typical play lasts less than 10 seconds between snap and whistle. Then you have 40 seconds of dead time until the next snap. 11 minutes sounds about right. The condensed games on NFL Replay are less than 30 minutes long.

Just now, DaVinci said:

A typical play lasts less than 10 seconds between snap and whistle. Then you have 40 seconds of dead time until the next snap. 11 minutes sounds about right. The condensed games on NFL Replay are less than 30 minutes long.

It is a 60 minute game and the network games I watch show every play in it's entirety and also the dead time between snaps (unless there is a cut to a commercial) and that does not include instant replays, so what I watch can't add up to only 11 minutes total. 

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DaVinci said:

Come on - you gonna believe a Wall St. Journal study and basic math?  Or Squid’s gut feeling? 😆

Edited by ekbeats

23 minutes ago, squistion said:

Yeah, right, in a 3 hour game all I ever see is a QB yelling a string of words that are completely meaningless, no running or passing plays, just that. 

Maybe you didn't read the post that you replied to originally.  He said there were 11 minutes of "action".  Those are when people are running and passing.

12 minutes    Here's a random link from my first google search, I dunno maybe its wrong

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, djmich said:

Maybe you didn't read the post that you replied to originally.  He said there were 11 minutes of "action".  Those are when people are running and passing.

12 minutes    Here's a random link from my first google search, I dunno maybe its wrong

I don't think it is.  Pretty sure you can see videos of games where the commercials, time in between running plays, TOs, etc.. cut out and they are like 15min or so.  

58 minutes ago, squistion said:

If you disagree with his stat about 11 minutes of action, state why, state how much action you think it is, and define what the action is to you instead of numerous smarmy replies.  Because I've heard the same stat he stated and it seems about right to me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shula-holic said:

We are already choosing to divide for them.  We hate one another more than we "hate" the Chinese.  To clarify, not the regular Chinese citizen, but the Chinese government and what it stands for.  We have a different kind of hate here, it's gotten personal.  We have people who choose to try and self isolate themselves from anyone or anything that differs from their political opinion. 

Wow...sad but true.  It was always predicted America could only be destroyed from within.

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Actually it’s the blacks who implied there is a white national anthem by creating a black one.  HTH.

What?

The existence of a group that caters to some subgroup does not imply the existence of the same thing for every other subgroup.

A black national anthem doesn't imply the existence of a hispanic national anthem.

A women's empowerment group doesn't imply the existence of a men's empowerment group.

A national rifle association does not imply the existence of a national brass knuckles association.

1 hour ago, squistion said:

It is a 60 minute game and the network games I watch show every play in it's entirety and also the dead time between snaps (unless there is a cut to a commercial) and that does not include instant replays, so what I watch can't add up to only 11 minutes total. 

If we’re not careful, the mods are going to move this thread to the Shark Pool. :oldunsure:

There should only be ONE national anthem for everyone.

Having a "Black" National anthem is racist on its face.  How long we going to fight racism with even more racism?  I mean, we're headed the way of S. Africa.  This isn't about equality - it's about division, revenge and payback.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ekbeats said:

Actually it’s the blacks who implied there is a white national anthem by creating a black one.  HTH.

They may have implied it. You said it.

49 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

What?

The existence of a group that caters to some subgroup does not imply the existence of the same thing for every other subgroup.

A black national anthem doesn't imply the existence of a hispanic national anthem.

A women's empowerment group doesn't imply the existence of a men's empowerment group.

A national rifle association does not imply the existence of a national brass knuckles association.

That's not what he said. If someone said they had a blue car, and specifically pointed out that fact. That indeed implies there are cars of different colors other than blue.  

Edited by tonydead

28 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

There should only be ONE national anthem for everyone.

Having a "Black" National anthem is racist on its face.  How long we going to fight racism with even more racism?  I mean, we're headed the way of S. Africa.  This isn't about equality - it's about division, revenge and payback.

Oh good grief! 

Read up about the song before posting ignorant ####

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Every_Voice_and_Sing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

That's not what he said. If someone said they had a blue car, and specifically pointed out that fact. That indeed implies there are cars of different colors other than blue.  

This is my take as well.  I assume if you feel you need a new/separate anthem then by default you would feel the existing one isn't one that applies to you or you want to represent you.  We are really heading toward troubled waters in this country where the end result is probably pretty bad whether that is constantly confrontational coexistence, some kind of peaceful division, whatever variations on that it may be.  Either way it would by default lead to us ceding the world's superpower role to China.  If people think our governmental policies and practices have some warts, they are going to really love the Chinese.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, squistion said:

You know how Google will search articles for a question you ask it and pull up the most relevant correct answer?  They pull up the answer in big bold letters so you dont even have to read the article?  Yep you guessed it - 11 minutes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Oh good grief! 

Read up about the song before posting ignorant ####

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Every_Voice_and_Sing

It's like you didn't read or understand my post.  That seems like par for the course.

So, instead, you made something up, attributed it to me and then attacked me for saying the thing you made up.

Edited by BladeRunner

2 hours ago, DaVinci said:

For me the condensed replays on Tuesday & Wed are the best thing about having Sunday ticket. Makes an hour on the treadmill fly by

34 minutes ago, DropKick said:

He was just being honest.

Well, yeah.  We had one national anthem that applied to all people.  Blacks started their own national anthem.  So apparently that applies to them now.  Do they get two national anthems and whites only get one?  That doesn’t sound fair.