What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ye Olde Bostonne Feminism (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Let’s track the excesses of modern feminism. Ten-to-one says it originated or in some way can be traced back to Boston or Western Massachusetts. Post here

Salem witch trials were primarily single women who had inherited land.   When their neighbor wanted to take their land and they wouldn't marry or sell, they got accused of being a witch.   If they admitted to being a witch, they could choose exile, and they were allowed to leave and their land was taken.   If they didn't choose exile they were killed and their land was taken.   

Roots of modern feminism right there.   

Salem witch trials were primarily single women who had inherited land.   When their neighbor wanted to take their land and they wouldn't marry or sell, they got accused of being a witch.   If they admitted to being a witch, they could choose exile, and they were allowed to leave and their land was taken.   If they didn't choose exile they were killed and their land was taken.   

Roots of modern feminism right there.   

Wut?  You're going to have to back this up with some facts, bro.  This sounds like some kind of "lets see if we can shoehorn feminism into history somewhere for validation" kind of nonsense.

i'd say Holyoke - that's the first place young ladies attempted to instruct me on how to debauch them. i was a bad boy

Abigail Adams?  

From the Wikis:

Women's rights

Abigail Adams wrote about the troubles and concerns she had as an 18th-century woman.[28] She was an advocate of married women's property rights and more opportunities for women, particularly in the field of education. Women, she believed, should not submit to laws not made in their interest, nor should they be content with the simple role of being companions to their husbands. They should educate themselves and thus be recognized for their intellectual capabilities so they could guide and influence the lives of their children and husbands. 

This thread's intention was to find more of a second or third wave feminism type bent like Catherine McKinnon or Andrea Dworkin thing. That Boston has a long, rich history of feminism can be ascertained by the typical emanations from Western Mass (which wikkid described) and Boston. Henry James's The Bostonians was specifically about Boston and feminism. It is no accident that Boston was chosen, as one can see by the mention of a Boston marriage in Wiki. I personally know of many lesbians who have settled in the Western Mass./Boston area. It was what Key West and Provincetown was to gay men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bostonians

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread