What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List - Now with unhealthy regional pork-stuffs! (1 Viewer)

Have you guys ever done just a full on geographical draft before?  You could have songs by artists associated with or from or songs about specific cities, regions, or countries.

So eephus' list has London and Paris, Ireland, and New Orleans.  But other ones (some of which I'm sure have been previous Genrepalooza categories.

Georgia On My Mind -- While this would be for Georgia, you could narrow it to Atlanta or broaden it to Georgia and Florida and call it Florida Georgia Line.

Golden Gophers and Drawn Out Winters - Minneapolis

New York State of Mind -- Duh

Madchester -- The whole 24 Hour Party People Scene

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oy Oy Oy -- Australia (and New Zealand?)

California Knows How to Party -- You could probably also do LA and the Bay Area

PDX -- Pacific Northwest

You Know How I Know You're Gay?-- Asia

Bless the Rains -- Africa

My Favorite Mitten -- Detroit and the Rest of Michigan

Outlaws and Guitarists Who Look Like Rabbis -- Texas

Hello, Cleveland! -- Ohio

I Saw Mommy Booing Santa Claus -- Philly and Pennsylvania

This Genre is Wicked Hahd -- Boston and New England

Take Off, Eh! -- Canada

The Final Countdown -- Wild Card Europe

A Horse With No Name -- Wild Card US

Have you guys ever done just a full on geographical draft before?  You could have songs by artists associated with or from or songs about specific cities, regions, or countries.

So eephus' list has London and Paris, Ireland, and New Orleans.  But other ones (some of which I'm sure have been previous Genrepalooza categories.

Georgia On My Mind -- While this would be for Georgia, you could narrow it to Atlanta or broaden it to Georgia and Florida and call it Florida Georgia Line.

PDX -- Pacific Northwest

Take Off, Eh! -- Canada

I thought about something like this too bit we've covered a lot of US geography in the fantasy football/music drafts where the song had to be associated the city the player was born in, played college in or NFL team plays for.

PDX -- Pacific Northwest

Take Off, Eh! -- Canada

It's a great idea, but like NV said, we've done that a bunch of times in the service of shtick by which we select football teams. It's at the point where I know where bands originated or where their lead singer was born, etc., without much prodding. 

I like drafts that produce listenable playlists.

We haven't done a mixtape draft in a long time.  The downside of those are you end up drafting against yourself although that's usually the case with music drafts isn't it?

It's a great idea, but like NV said, we've done that a bunch of times in the service of shtick by which we select football teams. It's at the point where I know where bands originated or where their lead singer was born, etc., without much prodding. 

Four years and we still haven't found anything from the city of Green Bay.

I like drafts that produce listenable playlists.

We haven't done a mixtape draft in a long time.  The downside of those are you end up drafting against yourself although that's usually the case with music drafts isn't it?
Combining the last two suggestions, I had an idea of something like a "my hometown" draft, the idea being we draft local ish to us stuff, put together a playlist of stuff that may be less widely known.  But that's less a draft than just a bunch of internet people making 8th grade tape mixes for each other  :wub:

Combining the last two suggestions, I had an idea of something like a "my hometown" draft, the idea being we draft local ish to us stuff, put together a playlist of stuff that may be less widely known.  But that's less a draft than just a bunch of internet people making 8th grade tape mixes for each other  :wub:

Can we do "my current town" or "what I think of as my hometown" and not "my original hometown"?  I don't want to have to draft a bunch of Johnny Cougar FFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Mixtape Draft.  

Side A - Up Tempo Mix for Saturday Night (dancing, workout, fist pumping)
Side B - Down Tempo Mix for Sunday Morning (slower, quieter stuff)

14 rounds, 7 songs per side.  Draft for both mixes at the same time.

Diversity rule:  Each side must include a minimum of three genres.  Genre is determined by the artist not the song, e.g. "Fame" would be considered Rock because it's Bowie even though the song's style is R&B.  Allmusic is the authoritative source for an artist's genre.

It's a mixtape, not a playlist so make 'em flow.

Can we do "my current town" or "what I think of as my hometown" and not "my original hometown"?  I don't want to have to draft a bunch of Johnny Cougar FFS.

It might be better to be able to pick your spot.  Manchester would be more fun than Milwaukee.

ETA:  or randomize a common location for each round, e.g. everybody has to pick a Boston artist

My problem with this is that I don't necessarily know the less known stuff, and what I know isn't on Spotify.  Otherwise, I'd be converting new Judy's fans.

He left us during that one, too, didn't he? I kind of remember that...
Yeah that was the whole controversy. He died during the draft and Joe thought we were celebrating his death. I will admit I think some one called him the "steal of the draft" which may have been in poor taste and then when reports came out  he may not be dead Mister Ected posted the Monty Python link.

I am the king of unoriginal thinking when it comes to these things. Maybe one day it'll strike me late night. I remember seeing a psychiatrist and they told me I had a "blank page" problem, which meant that I have trouble just coming up with things to construct when there aren't any restrictions and I'm the one imposing order on things. It was really their way of telling me I'd pretty much failed the Rorschach test and that I was certifiably loopy.

I was just so hungover I could barely see straight, though, and it was pretty much a misdiagnosis.

Anyway, that might be a reason why I have trouble with coming up with imaginary worlds with rules.

I am the king of unoriginal thinking when it comes to these things. Maybe one day it'll strike me late night. I remember seeing a psychiatrist and they told me I had a "blank page" problem, which meant that I have trouble just coming up with things to construct when there aren't any restrictions and I'm the one imposing order on things. It was really their way of telling me I'd pretty much failed the Rorschach test and that I was certifiably loopy.

I was just so hungover I could barely see straight, though, and it was pretty much a misdiagnosis.

Anyway, that might be a reason why I have trouble with coming up with imaginary worlds with rules.
Not sure that qualifies as loopy or any kind of real problem, just a certain type of thinking and trait. Pretty normal based on my experience as a teacher. It's not too uncommon to find a bright, motivated student that struggles a bit outside of structure. 

Not sure that qualifies as loopy or any kind of real problem, just a certain type of thinking and trait. Pretty normal based on my experience as a teacher. It's not too uncommon to find a bright, motivated student that struggles a bit outside of structure. 
I was half-kidding. But no, my answers on the Rorschach deviated so far and so consistently from the norm that the evaluator thought I had psychotic (not the misuse of the term) tendencies. Truth was, I was seeing stars from booze. They quickly ditched that diagnosis.

I was half-kidding. But no, my answers on the Rorschach deviated so far and so consistently from the norm that the evaluator thought I had psychotic (not the misuse of the term) tendencies. Truth was, I was seeing stars from booze. They quickly ditched that diagnosis.
The Rorschach always seemed like BS to me. What do you think of it? 

Also, I was more generally referring to the irregularity of human intelligence. It can be very inconsistent, quirky, etc. I am regularly shocked by things certain students do and don't excel at. The mind is a very interesting puzzle. 

The Rorschach always seemed like BS to me. What do you think of it? 

Also, I was more generally referring to the irregularity of human intelligence. It can be very inconsistent, quirky, etc. I am regularly shocked by things certain students do and don't excel at. The mid is a very interesting puzzle.
I think that, to a degree, the Rorschach is BS. They really are measuring your answers against everybody else's perception of reality. She explained it to me in some detail. I came away with a newfound respect for the methodology, but they're really not very good at evaluating "normal" people that aren't, say, barking at trees. They've done studies where they make psychiatrists and those trained in the art try and identify crazy people, and unless you're significantly impaired, they have a lot of trouble determining who is functional and who isn't.

To the latter point: I agree. The mind is extraordinarily complex. I don't even bother trying to fathom it. I'm not sure I could ever understand the bigger things, and the more I try, I tend to get awfully lonely (and scared) vis a vis the universe. It's a big, incomprehensible world out there, and we've done pretty good ordering the chaos without knowledge of the reasons or origin of our existence that I'm impressed humanity has gone on without immolating completely or going really berserk. Self-consciousness and self-awareness, which would seem to be a gift, is also an enormous curse.

Users who are viewing this thread