What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (2 Viewers)

scoobus said:
the moops said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
Who says no to a Strasburg for Mookie Betts deal?
:lmao: Just Betts?
:shrug:
Strasburg for Martin/Scola?
Honestly you would think the Nats might want more than Betts but it's not outlandish to say the Sox wouldn't trade Betts for him... A few writers over at Fangraphs seems to think Boston's offer would be less than Betts, something like Swihart/Owens.

Also here is a comment from Jeff Sullivan in a chat implying the Nats might have to settle for a less than Betts or Xander. Fangraphs has a major thing for Betts as does most of the projection systems. Crazy Bill James has him as a 320 15 HR 40 SB this year who can play 2B. Though that projection seems bananas. Other systems like Steamer and Baseball Forecaster, if applied to a full season of ABs make him more of a .290 15 HR 25 SB guy.

Control of a 22 year old 4-5 WAR MI for the next 5-7 years is something that is huge. I honestly think the Nats would want more than Betts but it's not crazy to think the Red Sox would not offer him.

Could you see Strasburg going to the mets for syndergaard and a complimentary player?

I think there’s the skeleton of something that could be reasonable, but the Nats are going to look to move Strasburg for a surer bet who can help right away. Someone *like* Bogaerts or Betts, but available and maybe a tiny bit worse.

scoobus said:
the moops said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
Who says no to a Strasburg for Mookie Betts deal?
:lmao: Just Betts?
:shrug:
Strasburg for Martin/Scola?
Honestly you would think the Nats might want more than Betts but it's not outlandish to say the Sox wouldn't trade Betts for him... A few writers over at Fangraphs seems to think Boston's offer would be less than Betts, something like Swihart/Owens.

Also here is a comment from Jeff Sullivan in a chat implying the Nats might have to settle for a less than Betts or Xander. Fangraphs has a major thing for Betts as does most of the projection systems. Crazy Bill James has him as a 320 15 HR 40 SB this year who can play 2B. Though that projection seems bananas. Other systems like Steamer and Baseball Forecaster, if applied to a full season of ABs make him more of a .290 15 HR 25 SB guy.

Control of a 22 year old 4-5 WAR MI for the next 5-7 years is something that is huge. I honestly think the Nats would want more than Betts but it's not crazy to think the Red Sox would not offer him.

Could you see Strasburg going to the mets for syndergaard and a complimentary player?

I think there’s the skeleton of something that could be reasonable, but the Nats are going to look to move Strasburg for a surer bet who can help right away. Someone *like* Bogaerts or Betts, but available and maybe a tiny bit worse.
The fangraphs article says that the Sox wouldn't be offering them, but doesn't say anything about settling. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-enormous-trade-value-of-stephen-strasburg/

Maybe that really is the Padres. In which case, you’d be talking about a package that presumably begins with Austin Hedges. Or Matt Wisler, or Hunter Renfroe, or maybe a couple of them. If you look at the Red Sox, they wouldn’t want to give up Xander Bogaerts or Mookie Betts, since they factor heavily into the mix immediately. So the package would begin with Blake Swihart or Henry Owens. With the Blue Jays, it’s Daniel Norris and more. You could even dream up a fascinating exchange between the Nationals and Cubs involving Strasburg and Javier Baez. That wouldn’t be crazy. I mean, that would be crazy, but a different sort of crazy.

Stephen Strasburg could get traded. Probably, Stephen Strasburg will not get traded, but very seldom do we end up in a situation where a deal like this could feasibly happen and make real sense. Part of me wants Strasburg to stay where he is, just to see how good the Nationals could be. And the other part wants him to go, because I want to see what this sort of trade package looks like in real life.
My guess would be if they aren't landing a huge package (that's what she said) they don't move him. Might as well go all-in this year.

Yah, it seems from the reports that the Nats are just gonna roll with everyone for this year. The way Scherzer's contract is structured makes it more likely that they don't need to make a deal this year.

Strasburg obviously has more value but it might play out similar to the Phillies with Hamels. Both teams are going to rightly value the pitchers pretty damn high but it might be tough to get the price they want. Both great pitchers but also have issues that diminish value. For Hamels it's his contract which for 4/96 or whatever looks like a good deal now but for the Sox to trade for him it would surely go to 5/110ish so that makes his value lower to the Red Sox.

Strasburg's issue is that you get him for 2 hopefully great years but after that you're either losing him or paying him 200M+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't WAS desperately need a 2B and bullpen help?

They have 6 quality starters. Seems like a terrible use of resources if they stand pat.

They have 6 quality starters. Seems like a terrible use of resources if they stand pat.
Escobar might be OK at 2B, his usually-good defensive numbers were terrible last year, but some of that may be due to injury. But he's not young and 2B is a new position, so who knows. He's not ideal, even best-case.

Matter of perspective - they are clearly going all in for this year ... so what happens if they trade one of their six starters now and then they lose one in spring training? No hurry they can trade one later

OTOH they won't turn down a stupidly good offer but most of what the talking heads are discussing is prospects or players other teams are unlikely to trade.

IF you were Boston would you trade Mookie Betts and some mler for Strasburg?

Matter of perspective - they are clearly going all in for this year ... so what happens if they trade one of their six starters now and then they lose one in spring training? No hurry they can trade one later

OTOH they won't turn down a stupidly good offer but most of what the talking heads are discussing is prospects or players other teams are unlikely to trade.

IF you were Boston would you trade Mookie Betts and some mler for Strasburg?
I would, but the concensus from Sox fans is that they would not.

There weren't a lot of good options in free agency at 2B. I don't think they can be blamed for not signing someone there.

Maybe they make some moves in the bullpen, but they've still got some options there. If Roark is now long reliever, they can switch Stammen's role, who has been solid and could hold down 8th inning.

I think the Cubs should go for it now and move Russell and whatever else (not Bryant though) for Strasburg if that's available. I don't know how long I'm going to be on this bandwagon so I want to win now.

Beane usually trades away dudes that people love but turn out to be bums. I think Russell probably falls into that category.
Carlos Gonzalez and Andre Ethier.... :unsure:

But he obviously saw something in Ben Grieve that no one else saw. I thought Grieve was going to ascend to the same level as Shawn Green, but he was finished after Beane traded him away.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Rasmus deal with Stros is apparently 1yr/$4M
Updating previous items, free-agent OF Colby Rasmus (Blue Jays) signed a one-year, $8 million deal with the Houston Astros Tuesday, Jan. 20, according to a baseball source.

as reported on ESPN and KFFL
Hmm. Then it's almost a push vs. Fowler's arbitration number.
$8M is pretty gross.
Baseball revenues will top 9 billion this season. $8M is chump change.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Updating previous items, free-agent OF Colby Rasmus (Blue Jays) signed a one-year, $8 million deal with the Houston Astros Tuesday, Jan. 20, according to a baseball source. as reported on ESPN and KFFL
$8M is pretty gross.
How fitting

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Updating previous items, free-agent OF Colby Rasmus (Blue Jays) signed a one-year, $8 million deal with the Houston Astros Tuesday, Jan. 20, according to a baseball source. as reported on ESPN and KFFL
$8M is pretty gross.
How fitting
does that number include the rev sharing from the roof decks outside Wrigley?

159 players make $8M or more. More than I thought, tbh.

The guys that make $8M exactly in 2015:

Carlos Gomez

Daniel Murphy

Marlon Byrd

Joaquin Benoit

Colby Rasmus

Carlos Quentin

Charlie Morton

Jed Lowrie

LINK

2 Marmol T-shirts still available on Amazon. At $8.95 they're practically giving them away.
We can do better.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEVrhHaMFUXogAr9snnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZjNuMHJ1BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwM18x?p=glenallen+hill+rooftop+homerun&tnr=21&vid=C8FD3F01667EEE3BA9C2C8FD3F01667EEE3BA9C2&l=56&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608018677785234204%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7wDrw76ieTs&sigr=11borevr8&tt=b&###=Glenallen+Hill+Rooftop+Home+Run+at+Wrigley+Field%2C+2000&sigt=11m6d21vm&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dglenallen%2Bhill%2Brooftop%2Bhomerun%2Bvideo%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=13g8q8au6&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

The Braves signed Jonny Gomes to complete their OF with Neck Markakis and BJ Upton.

I have no idea what John Hart is doing here but I'm inviting him to the Gobbler leeg.

The Braves signed Jonny Gomes to complete their OF with Neck Markakis and BJ Upton.

I have no idea what John Hart is doing here but I'm inviting him to the Gobbler leeg.
Candidate for Most Overrated Outfield Ever? Or is Upton been ####ty long enough for the label to no longer apply?

Put together a purposefully ####ty team, tank attendance, and then move them to a more desirable loc--, oh wait. Nevermind.

Users who are viewing this thread