What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (1 Viewer)

The weird part of SD going after Shields is that they have plenty of guys who could be serviceable as a 4/5, some combo of Morrow, Despaigne, Luebke and Johnson. I dunno.

The weird part of SD going after Shields is that they have plenty of guys who could be serviceable as a 4/5, some combo of Morrow, Despaigne, Luebke and Johnson. I dunno.
Don't forget Robbie Erlin, Casey Kelly, and Matt Wisler.

If Shields signs, It wouldn't surprise me to see Casher + Wisler dealt to Philly along with Liriano for Hamels, if the Phillies will take on Maybin and send back some $.

As you point out, SD has a ton of wild card SPs.

He gives them a lot more certainty though. He's been about as durable as any pitcher and quite good at the same time. Can't really say the same about any of their other starters.

not the 3 year deal they wanted, but good move for SD

The Padres have agreed to terms with James Shields on a four-year deal likely between $72MM and $78MM, SB Nations Chris Cotillo reports

Shields isn't a 4/5 by any stretch so why is it weird?
They also have Ross, Kennedy, Cashner. Now they have like 14 guys for the 5 spot. Like others have said there is probably a trade or two to be made here. I think Maurer ends up as a good bullpen piece.

This clown messages me this then blocks me. 41 yrs old.

Fat Drunk and Stupid
Sent Today, 11:17 AM
So, you definitely are a last word bit..ch kind of doosh. Now that we've got that worked out, NOW we're done, a.sshat

Can't.make.it.up

Just wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the thread for some laughs. He deleted the 1st message he sent to me, assuming so he can deny even contacting me which is understandable i suppose...Here it is.. Its actually shown in his profile feed if you click on his name. So better hurry up before he deletes that too BAHAHAHA.

Fat Drunk and Stupid → Da Gildz

Hey Gildz! You're awful.
Locked Status Feb 07 2015 12:22 PM
I see it this morning and respond...

Sent Today, 09:10 AM

You're 41 and sending private messages to people on fantasy forums. Get a life man.

Embarassing.

/convo.
Sent Today, 10:10 AM

"/convo" :lmao:
Sent Today, 10:22 AM

Well at least you don't refute the pathetic/embarrassing part of this..

:)

Sent Today, 10:35 AM

You one of those "last word" guys?
Sent Today, 11:01 AM

Shhhh.

thx

Sent Today, 11:07 AM

So, that's a yes. Noted.
Sent Today, 11:15 AM

It would seem to me that you're the last word guy. Prove to me you're not.

Now shhhhh..
Then he ends it with the eloquent finale..

Sent Today, 11:17 AM

So, you definitely are a last word bi.tch kind of doosh. Now that we've got that worked out, NOW we're done, a.sshat.
2 thumbs up for this guy.

And the value of an innings eater goes beyond their ability to pitch well. Teams value a guy who can put in 6 innings even when he's getting shelled. Yes, they'd rather have a better pitcher, but better pitchers aren't often able to put up those kinds of innings. The season is a long slog. A guy who can pitch 220 innings takes innings off the bullpen arms, and in turn the bullpen arms are more able to prevent a better, more fragile pitcher from having to endure those kinds of outings. Add to that the fact that Shields isn't some scrub innings eater like, say, Edwin Jackson, and I think 4/75 is a fair price. I'm glad the Cubs didn't pay it, but it's not outlandish to me.

Preller working out Moncada today, and the Padres Union Tribune beat writer says he was told over the weekend that the Padres "aren't scared" of the 300k limit that would be imposed if they sign him.

:coffee:

Shields went for 1/2 of Lester's cost, and 1/3 of Scherzer. K's have slightly declined, but his velocity has actually increased the last couple of seasons.

I can't see how anyone would suggest this was anything other than a good signing. It's an underpay, if anything.

Tommy - good for you my friend. glad to see Padres doing something exciting.

@JeffPassan: The Padres are taking over the world: Sources say San Diego is working out Yoan Moncada today and plans to be aggressive in bidding for him.

Shields went for 1/2 of Lester's cost, and 1/3 of Scherzer. K's have slightly declined, but his velocity has actually increased the last couple of seasons.

I can't see how anyone would suggest this was anything other than a good signing. It's an underpay, if anything.
Again, post season #'s/age factor into things. He's 33 with a million innings pitched and a horrendous post season track record to go along with it.

@JeffPassan: The Padres are taking over the world: Sources say San Diego is working out Yoan Moncada today and plans to be aggressive in bidding for him.
Last June the Padres hit .171 for the month, as a team. The best offensive players last year were Seth Smith and Rene Rivera. Fans here are on life support, and needed a life preserver.

Dave Cameron is the poster child for not being able to see the big picture. I'm having a hard time buying his narrative that the Padres would have been better off waiting on Max Fried, Trea Turner, etc. Guy is brilliant with an excel spreadsheet, but putting together a competitive, entertaining baseball team is a lot bigger than simply maximizing WAR in January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last June the Padres hit .171 for the month, as a team. The best offensive players last year were Seth Smith and Rene Rivera. Fans here are on life support, and needed a life preserver.

Dave Cameron is the poster child for not being able to see the big picture. I'm having a hard time buying his narrative that the Padres would have been better off waiting on Max Fried, Trea Turner, etc. Guy is brilliant with an excel spreadsheet, but putting together a competitive, entertaining baseball team is a lot bigger than simply maximizing WAR in January.
Cameron is a Mariners fan. He's used to anemic offenses and underachieving prospects.

No truer words have been spoken re: Dave Cameron, but that's not going to be a popular take around here. Lots of FanGraphs FanBoys up in here. In fact, GPJ just added you to his iWatchList just for mentioning Cameron in a less than worshipping tone.

I get what you're saying about the big picture. And I think Cameron's skepticism is informed byhis site's projections, and maybe they're too pessimistic. It's certainly possible. But ultimately, and I think you would agree, Preller's going to be judged on how well SD actually does, in terms of wins/losses and making the playoffs. This coming October, both Fangraphs (or BP, or whomever) projections will be worthless, but so will the public relations wins that the Padres have stacked up.

That said, 2015 seems to be a bit of a mini-window that's upon SD already. Upton is a FA this year. SD is going to have to start paying Kemp real money after this year, which unless SD has a limitless pool of money, is going to impact who they can bring in next off-season. They have good prospects, but they've also traded away quite a few, which is also going to limit their ability to either make trades or get actual help from those players being good.

I guess, worst-case, SD will have a different type of mediocre team to root for. That's something.

I'm pretty sure no pitcher will ever throw Wil Myers an off-speed pitch 3 feet off the plate in the dirt again so he should be fine hitting in a park that completely suppresses the one thing he is good at.

Users who are viewing this thread