What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (1 Viewer)

Since we are on the topic, do most of y'alls auctions experience sharp price inflation as the top tier players get swallowed up, followed by a price crash where everyone picks through the leftovers?
People tend to nominate the big money players which sets the market high. There's often a sweet spot for value in the late middle but this can be derailed if multiple teams conserve their funds. I have seen cases where the last few stars are the worst value picks as people realize they can't possibly spend all their money.

Since we are on the topic, do most of y'alls auctions experience sharp price inflation as the top tier players get swallowed up, followed by a price crash where everyone picks through the leftovers?
If I'm understanding you correctly (which I'm tired, so I may be shady-ing this up), yes, I've often found the top tier guys go for less than they should relative to the next tier. Seems the top tier guys go for a mint, but then the next tier guys go for more than they should as people panic a bit once they realize they're going to be stuck with a gamble.

People tend to nominate the big money players which sets the market high. There's often a sweet spot for value in the late middle but this can be derailed if multiple teams conserve their funds. I have seen cases where the last few stars are the worst value picks as people realize they can't possibly spend all their money.
this is how mine usually go, slightly over pay for a couple-few stars you want then keep a watchful eye for values that hit in that lull somewhere near the middle. The bargain shoppers usually walk away with money and the overly patient paid out the nose for second rate stars.

Part of the excitement is that an auction can go a million different ways. It just takes one lunatic to throw off the entire expectation of an auction

Part of the excitement is that an auction can go a million different ways. It just takes one lunatic to throw off the entire expectation of an auction
yeah, that's pretty much nails it. Redrafts are generally predictable. Some owners may hold off longer on pitching than others but the top of your league's draft will be very similar to everybody else's.

Any thoughts on best type of keeper league to start up? Have a league with 12 guys, might go to 14 this year. Been playing for 5 years with these guys. Decent participation by most, interest wanes with the bottom dwellers in July. Probably do 2 or 3 keepers but want to know what y'all think is the best way to run it.

Looking to start it up this year at the draft.
You really NEED to have the guys in the league agree on the type of league they want - if you feel they won't agree on anything submit a list of alternative formats and let everyone discuss it - if you don't have a strong commissioner and a good set of rules keeper leagues will fall apart quickly.

I do agree with the guys here that auction leagues are the best format because the keeper prices are established or the player goes back into the next year's auction. Absolutely the FAIREST way for people to acquire players. Why should the guy who lucks into the first pick have the advantage of Mike Trout for x years everyone should have a chance to roster him ..... IF they want to pay the price.

The upside of h2h, impure as it is, is that you dont have as many people who are dead money by the all star break.

I wouldnt keep that few, i would say a minimum of 8.

this is how mine usually go, slightly over pay for a couple-few stars you want then keep a watchful eye for values that hit in that lull somewhere near the middle. The bargain shoppers usually walk away with money and the overly patient paid out the nose for second rate stars.
I'd imagine being in an auction with you would be easy based on your player evaluations. As soon as you bid on a guy he's yours, since everyone in your draft knows that guy is gonna suck. :mellow:

this is how mine usually go, slightly over pay for a couple-few stars you want then keep a watchful eye for values that hit in that lull somewhere near the middle. The bargain shoppers usually walk away with money and the overly patient paid out the nose for second rate stars.I'd imagine being in an auction with you would be easy based on your player evaluations. As soon as you bid on a guy he's yours, since everyone in your draft knows that guy is gonna suck. :mellow: Here were are as in olden days,

Happy golden days of yore.

Faithful friends who are dear to us

Gather near to us once more.

Through the years we all will be together

If the Fates allow

Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

A Xmas gift for all of the wonderful Braves fans out there.....

enjoy your 162 games of having AJP on the roster.
I've already started counting down to the fight he will instigate with Bryce Harper over some trumped up nonsense when the Braves are 10 back in mid-July.

A Xmas gift for all of the wonderful Braves fans out there.....

enjoy your 162 games of having AJP on the roster.
I've already started counting down to the fight he will instigate with Bryce Harper over some trumped up nonsense when the Braves are 10 back in mid-July.
Dan Szymborski ‏@DSzymborski · 25 minutes ago

Braves sign A.J. Pierzynski to a 1-year contract. Would be reasonable, but just one too many years

This is the best hot stove reporting of 2014 or any other year:

Aaron Lunsford @darrenstains · 1h 1 hour ago

I just got a scoop on a signing before any national or local writer. But alas I have no credentials in the field of sports writing.
Craig Calcaterra @craigcalcaterra · 1h 1 hour ago

So @darrenstains says his dad just talked to Fredi Gonzalez in Honeybaked Ham, who said the Braves signed A.J. Pierzynski
Mark Bowman @mlbbowman · 52m 52 minutes ago
The #Braves and A.J. Pierzynski have reached agreement on a 1 yr. deal Deal is pending a physical. Likely won't be official until early Jan.

Mark Bowman @mlbbowman · 50m 50 minutes ago
Hat tip on the Pierzynski deal goes to @darrenstains, whose father ran into Fredi Gonzalez at Honeybaked Ham.

http://picload.org/image/clwrocd/12-27-20149-57-10pm.jpg

Seattle's Ruppert Jones achieved a bizarre dual [ASG uni] distinction: When he pinch-hit in the third inning [of the '77 game], he became the first Mariner ever to appear in an All-Star Game. But he was wearing a Blue Jays helmet, so he also became the first player ever to wear Blue Jays gear in an All-Star Game (Toronto's lone representative on the AL roster, Ron Fairly, didn't appear until four innings later).

http://picload.org/image/clwrocd/12-27-20149-57-10pm.jpg

Seattle's Ruppert Jones achieved a bizarre dual [ASG uni] distinction: When he pinch-hit in the third inning [of the '77 game], he became the first Mariner ever to appear in an All-Star Game. But he was wearing a Blue Jays helmet, so he also became the first player ever to wear Blue Jays gear in an All-Star Game (Toronto's lone representative on the AL roster, Ron Fairly, didn't appear until four innings later).
I remember in the 87 asg, lee smith had to bat because of extra innings but didn't bring his cubs helmet so he put on an expos one

True story.

During the 1981 season, our family lived outside Philly, and we would attend the games somewhat regularly. Well, the Phils had just won the series the year before, so I made it my personal goal to get a ball signed by as many members of the previous years' team as I could.

I had a good number of the players, maybe fifteen or so, because we stayed at the Hilton (?) right across the street from the stadium, and many off them hung out there. Some even drank in the hotel bar.

Anyway returning from lunch one day, I spotted backup outfielder **** Davis exiting the hotel. The ball was in my mom's purse at the time, as it never left my side. So, god bless her, she went running up to get me my coveted autograph, yelling, "****! ****!". Davis turned, gave her a strange look, and signed the ball without a word. Excited, she brought the ball back to me. Even more excited, I looked down to cherish yet another autograph from the champs!

It was Ruppert Jones.

The best part is mom didn't even realize exactly what had transpired until my dad, of course, had to call her out on it. One of our favorite stories to this day.

And that would have been even more awesomer

ETA: And I still have that ball. For years I wished the Phils would just trade for Ruppert freakin Jones already!

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
jfranco77 said:
Marlins maybe trying to trade Haren for Venable or Maybin. Feel the excitement.
I'm surprised they don't just want the 10M
My understanding is the Marlins already got the 10mil. If Haren retires they just get to keep it. So they probably don't mind if he retires. Or they could send Haren +3mil to SD for Venable and keep the other 7.

Rays signing Asdrubal Cabrera for some reason.
More like Asdrubal Cabrera signing with the Rays for some reason. 1-year deal. TB isn't exactly a great place to rebuild your value. Maybe he's hoping for a mid-season trade.

Apparently Seth Smith to the Mariners is getting close too.

Rays signing Asdrubal Cabrera for some reason.
More like Asdrubal Cabrera signing with the Rays for some reason. 1-year deal. TB isn't exactly a great place to rebuild your value. Maybe he's hoping for a mid-season trade.
Why wouldn't it be?
Not exactly a hitter-friendly park. Nor a good lineup around him.
Imagine how good he will look surrounded by those guys though!

Users who are viewing this thread