What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlie "Shining Path" Bosworth, RIP (1 Viewer)

peopleschamp,

Mostly a lurker here since "Old Yeller".

This was one classy dude.

Always read his postings and respected the way he interacted with everyone.

The good, do die young.

Never knew him personally but I am touched and saddened. He had my full respect.

:shiny: :nerd: :no:

I thought that the the board might appreciate a link to some of the scientific papers that Shiny authored or co-authored at UAB and the University of New Orleans. When you read the abstracts to these papers, you realize what a heavy duty scientist he really was. His ability to talk science on the board in such an accessible and fluent way without talking down to people was just incredible.

SP was without a doubt my favorite poster going back to old yeller. There are few poster that could make me laugh out loud or just grin like a doofus in the way that Shiny could. I regret that I never met him when I was living in New Orleans, because I'm pretty certain our times there overlapped. In fact, I wonder if we might have crossed paths (shining paths?) - based on various posts over the years, we seemed to go to some of the same music clubs in NOLA.

So I honor him with this post to his most recent publication of March 2009, on which he is the primary author in a very respected journal (senior author in such a respected journal is a big deal in the scientific arena in which he worked):

Dinitrosyliron complexes and the mechanism(s) of cellular protein nitrosothiol formation from nitric oxide.
Do you have a link to this paper in English?
Word. I wonder where we can find a guy with a science background that might be patient enough to explain this to the rest of us? :(
I'd be honored to. I didn't know Shiny nearly as well as many of you, but he and I did exchange a few messages over the years about the trials, tribulations, frustrations, and joys of being a bench scientist. I'll reiterate what others have said - getting a first author paper is a big deal. It's the culmination of years of work, experiments, lab meetings, re-writes, edits, and refining. He and his family should be quite proud. The bold below is a lay explanation of the abstract of shiny's recently released publication.
Nitrosothiols (RSNO), formed from thiols and metabolites of nitric oxide (*NO), have been implicated in a diverse set of physiological and pathophysiological processes, although the exact mechanisms by which they are formed biologically are unknown. Several candidate nitrosative pathways involve the reaction of *NO with O(2), reactive oxygen species (ROS), and transition metals. Nitrosothiols are important and we don't know exactly how they're made, though there are some candidate mechanisms. .

We developed a strategy using extracellular ferrocyanide to determine that under our conditions intracellular protein RSNO formation occurs from reaction of *NO inside the cell, as opposed to cellular entry of nitrosative reactants from the extracellular compartment. We figured out a way to determine that these important compounds are generated inside the cell as opposed to being brought in from outside.

Using this method we found that in RAW 264.7 cells RSNO formation occurs only at very low (<8 microM) O(2) concentrations and exhibits zero-order dependence on *NO concentration. Indeed, RSNO formation is not inhibited even at O(2) levels <1 microM. In a mouse cell line, the formation of these important compounds occurs at a rate which is independent of the concentration of the reactants.

Additionally, chelation of intracellular chelatable iron pool (CIP) reduces RSNO formation by >50%. If you get rid of the iron, formation of these important compounds decreases dramatically.

One possible metal-dependent, O(2)-independent nitrosative pathway is the reaction of thiols with dinitrosyliron complexes (DNIC), which are formed in cells from the reaction of *NO with the CIP. Under our conditions, DNIC formation, like RSNO formation, is inhibited by approximately 50% after chelation of labile iron. Iron is also important for the formation of some other similarly important products.

Both DNIC and RSNO are also increased during overproduction of ROS by the redox cycler 5,8-dimethoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone. Taken together, these data strongly suggest that cellular RSNO are formed from free *NO via transnitrosation from DNIC derived from the CIP. We have examined in detail the kinetics and mechanism of RSNO formation inside cells. In our paper, we describe in a lot of detail one way this happens.
This was really a great, great post Doc (2 greats!). :nerd: ---> :grad: ---> :shiny:

I thought that the the board might appreciate a link to some of the scientific papers that Shiny authored or co-authored at UAB and the University of New Orleans. When you read the abstracts to these papers, you realize what a heavy duty scientist he really was. His ability to talk science on the board in such an accessible and fluent way without talking down to people was just incredible.

SP was without a doubt my favorite poster going back to old yeller. There are few poster that could make me laugh out loud or just grin like a doofus in the way that Shiny could. I regret that I never met him when I was living in New Orleans, because I'm pretty certain our times there overlapped. In fact, I wonder if we might have crossed paths (shining paths?) - based on various posts over the years, we seemed to go to some of the same music clubs in NOLA.

So I honor him with this post to his most recent publication of March 2009, on which he is the primary author in a very respected journal (senior author in such a respected journal is a big deal in the scientific arena in which he worked):

Dinitrosyliron complexes and the mechanism(s) of cellular protein nitrosothiol formation from nitric oxide.
Do you have a link to this paper in English?
Word. I wonder where we can find a guy with a science background that might be patient enough to explain this to the rest of us? :shiny:
I'd be honored to. I didn't know Shiny nearly as well as many of you, but he and I did exchange a few messages over the years about the trials, tribulations, frustrations, and joys of being a bench scientist. I'll reiterate what others have said - getting a first author paper is a big deal. It's the culmination of years of work, experiments, lab meetings, re-writes, edits, and refining. He and his family should be quite proud. The bold below is a lay explanation of the abstract of shiny's recently released publication.
Nitrosothiols (RSNO), formed from thiols and metabolites of nitric oxide (*NO), have been implicated in a diverse set of physiological and pathophysiological processes, although the exact mechanisms by which they are formed biologically are unknown. Several candidate nitrosative pathways involve the reaction of *NO with O(2), reactive oxygen species (ROS), and transition metals. Nitrosothiols are important and we don't know exactly how they're made, though there are some candidate mechanisms. .

We developed a strategy using extracellular ferrocyanide to determine that under our conditions intracellular protein RSNO formation occurs from reaction of *NO inside the cell, as opposed to cellular entry of nitrosative reactants from the extracellular compartment. We figured out a way to determine that these important compounds are generated inside the cell as opposed to being brought in from outside.

Using this method we found that in RAW 264.7 cells RSNO formation occurs only at very low (<8 microM) O(2) concentrations and exhibits zero-order dependence on *NO concentration. Indeed, RSNO formation is not inhibited even at O(2) levels <1 microM. In a mouse cell line, the formation of these important compounds occurs at a rate which is independent of the concentration of the reactants.

Additionally, chelation of intracellular chelatable iron pool (CIP) reduces RSNO formation by >50%. If you get rid of the iron, formation of these important compounds decreases dramatically.

One possible metal-dependent, O(2)-independent nitrosative pathway is the reaction of thiols with dinitrosyliron complexes (DNIC), which are formed in cells from the reaction of *NO with the CIP. Under our conditions, DNIC formation, like RSNO formation, is inhibited by approximately 50% after chelation of labile iron. Iron is also important for the formation of some other similarly important products.

Both DNIC and RSNO are also increased during overproduction of ROS by the redox cycler 5,8-dimethoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone. Taken together, these data strongly suggest that cellular RSNO are formed from free *NO via transnitrosation from DNIC derived from the CIP. We have examined in detail the kinetics and mechanism of RSNO formation inside cells. In our paper, we describe in a lot of detail one way this happens.
:no: So these are the Cliff Notes? Thanks for clarifying Doc!

Everyone,Forgive me if this is somewhat incoherent. I was a friend of Breed's for more than 25 years. He was, in most of the ways that matter, the best friend I have ever had. In fact, with me being an only child he was the closest thing I had to a brother. It was he that introduced me to Footballguys and to the FFA. While I have never been a frequent poster here I have always made a point to come here and read for information, humor, or just some good Friday afternoon fun. It always seemed that Breed was at the center of everything. Breed was more to me than the witty, intelligent poster that you guys knew. He was a groomsman in my wedding, a confidant, a golf & poker buddy, and "Uncle Breed" to my 5 year old son. As you can imagine this has been a time of overwhelming sadness, sleepless nights, and pain. Many times since the memorial service I came here with the intention of posting the news because I thought it would be something that the community here would want to know. Each time the pain was too great and I was unable to follow through. Breed talked often of the FFA and how much he valued the time he spent here. The outpouring of affection in this thread has left me teary eyed and speechless. As someone who knew and loved Breed this thread has done much to ease my pain. This tribute by people who never met Breed has made me realize how truly lucky I was to have him in my life. I can only hope that when my time comes I will be as well thought of by those I leave behind. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and good wishes. They really do matter. RIP my brother, you will be missed always........ :shrug: :hophead: :cry:
Although most of us here only knew him by his words and personality on the boards, the support in this thread is indicative of how his friends here felt about him. It would have been a privilege to have hung out with him in person. Here's to "Uncle Breed"...

Wow. I am shocked and saddened to hear this news. I have not been around lately and just learned of this tragedy.

What a man. What a loss.

I am proud to say I have not been around because I'm out digging up dirt and moving it around every day. I'm on the second month of my Bobcat rental and I swear its like a fountain of youth.

Unless my wife threatens me with death, I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy a new tractor next month. And I swear to god, if I get it, I will name it Shiny and paint it on the hood. I think he'd like that.

That's awesome. :hophead:

Everyone,Forgive me if this is somewhat incoherent. I was a friend of Breed's for more than 25 years. He was, in most of the ways that matter, the best friend I have ever had. In fact, with me being an only child he was the closest thing I had to a brother. It was he that introduced me to Footballguys and to the FFA. While I have never been a frequent poster here I have always made a point to come here and read for information, humor, or just some good Friday afternoon fun. It always seemed that Breed was at the center of everything. Breed was more to me than the witty, intelligent poster that you guys knew. He was a groomsman in my wedding, a confidant, a golf & poker buddy, and "Uncle Breed" to my 5 year old son. As you can imagine this has been a time of overwhelming sadness, sleepless nights, and pain. Many times since the memorial service I came here with the intention of posting the news because I thought it would be something that the community here would want to know. Each time the pain was too great and I was unable to follow through. Breed talked often of the FFA and how much he valued the time he spent here. The outpouring of affection in this thread has left me teary eyed and speechless. As someone who knew and loved Breed this thread has done much to ease my pain. This tribute by people who never met Breed has made me realize how truly lucky I was to have him in my life. I can only hope that when my time comes I will be as well thought of by those I leave behind. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and good wishes. They really do matter. RIP my brother, you will be missed always........ :excited: :shrug: :wub:
It sure is dusty in here...

Everyone,Forgive me if this is somewhat incoherent. I was a friend of Breed's for more than 25 years. He was, in most of the ways that matter, the best friend I have ever had. In fact, with me being an only child he was the closest thing I had to a brother. It was he that introduced me to Footballguys and to the FFA. While I have never been a frequent poster here I have always made a point to come here and read for information, humor, or just some good Friday afternoon fun. It always seemed that Breed was at the center of everything. Breed was more to me than the witty, intelligent poster that you guys knew. He was a groomsman in my wedding, a confidant, a golf & poker buddy, and "Uncle Breed" to my 5 year old son. As you can imagine this has been a time of overwhelming sadness, sleepless nights, and pain. Many times since the memorial service I came here with the intention of posting the news because I thought it would be something that the community here would want to know. Each time the pain was too great and I was unable to follow through. Breed talked often of the FFA and how much he valued the time he spent here. The outpouring of affection in this thread has left me teary eyed and speechless. As someone who knew and loved Breed this thread has done much to ease my pain. This tribute by people who never met Breed has made me realize how truly lucky I was to have him in my life. I can only hope that when my time comes I will be as well thought of by those I leave behind. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and good wishes. They really do matter. RIP my brother, you will be missed always........ :bye: :excited: :cry:
Sorry for your loss, peeps. Sounds like he was as great a guy in real life as he was on the Internet.

peepleschamp said:
Everyone,Forgive me if this is somewhat incoherent. I was a friend of Breed's for more than 25 years. He was, in most of the ways that matter, the best friend I have ever had. In fact, with me being an only child he was the closest thing I had to a brother. It was he that introduced me to Footballguys and to the FFA. While I have never been a frequent poster here I have always made a point to come here and read for information, humor, or just some good Friday afternoon fun. It always seemed that Breed was at the center of everything. Breed was more to me than the witty, intelligent poster that you guys knew. He was a groomsman in my wedding, a confidant, a golf & poker buddy, and "Uncle Breed" to my 5 year old son. As you can imagine this has been a time of overwhelming sadness, sleepless nights, and pain. Many times since the memorial service I came here with the intention of posting the news because I thought it would be something that the community here would want to know. Each time the pain was too great and I was unable to follow through. Breed talked often of the FFA and how much he valued the time he spent here. The outpouring of affection in this thread has left me teary eyed and speechless. As someone who knew and loved Breed this thread has done much to ease my pain. This tribute by people who never met Breed has made me realize how truly lucky I was to have him in my life. I can only hope that when my time comes I will be as well thought of by those I leave behind. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and good wishes. They really do matter. RIP my brother, you will be missed always........ :cry: :thumbup: :cry:
Thank you for posting that. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I think the people here who cared about shiny appreciate it more than you likely know.I'm both incredibly sad for and incredibly envious of you.

peepleschamp said:
Everyone,

Forgive me if this is somewhat incoherent. I was a friend of Breed's for more than 25 years. He was, in most of the ways that matter, the best friend I have ever had. In fact, with me being an only child he was the closest thing I had to a brother. It was he that introduced me to Footballguys and to the FFA. While I have never been a frequent poster here I have always made a point to come here and read for information, humor, or just some good Friday afternoon fun. It always seemed that Breed was at the center of everything. Breed was more to me than the witty, intelligent poster that you guys knew. He was a groomsman in my wedding, a confidant, a golf & poker buddy, and "Uncle Breed" to my 5 year old son. As you can imagine this has been a time of overwhelming sadness, sleepless nights, and pain. Many times since the memorial service I came here with the intention of posting the news because I thought it would be something that the community here would want to know. Each time the pain was too great and I was unable to follow through. Breed talked often of the FFA and how much he valued the time he spent here. The outpouring of affection in this thread has left me teary eyed and speechless. As someone who knew and loved Breed this thread has done much to ease my pain. This tribute by people who never met Breed has made me realize how truly lucky I was to have him in my life. I can only hope that when my time comes I will be as well thought of by those I leave behind. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and good wishes. They really do matter.

RIP my brother, you will be missed always........

:lol: :lmao: :cry:
Thank you for posting that. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I think the people here who cared about shiny appreciate it more than you likely know.I'm both incredibly sad for and incredibly envious of you.
:shrug: What an incredible honor and thrill it must have been to know :lol: in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
peepleschamp said:
The Z Machine said:
I definitely shed a tear on reading that peoples. Thanks for sharing that.BTW, do you know where the name "Breed" came from? I've never heard it before.
Breed is a family name. Not 100% sure of where it came from. I guess since he was Charles A. Bosworth IV, they needed/wanted to call him something different.
Here's a message from Breed's dad explaining the name.
One poster was right, in that with CAB IV we wanted to have a nickname to distinguish him from all the others.His paternal great grandmother was Natalie Breed Bosworth. Her original name was Natalie Johnson. Her father died quite young. Her mother remarried a man named Breed, who adopted her, and she took his name. I just thought it was a cool name...young breed, wild breed, rare breed.

peepleschamp said:
The Z Machine said:
I definitely shed a tear on reading that peoples. Thanks for sharing that.BTW, do you know where the name "Breed" came from? I've never heard it before.
Breed is a family name. Not 100% sure of where it came from. I guess since he was Charles A. Bosworth IV, they needed/wanted to call him something different.
Here's a message from Breed's dad explaining the name.
One poster was right, in that with CAB IV we wanted to have a nickname to distinguish him from all the others.His paternal great grandmother was Natalie Breed Bosworth. Her original name was Natalie Johnson. Her father died quite young. Her mother remarried a man named Breed, who adopted her, and she took his name. I just thought it was a cool name...young breed, wild breed, rare breed.
I think it's a seriously cool name, too.

Scoob:

Can you ask Shiny's dad if there is something we can do, make a group donation to a specific charity or something in his honor?

cosjobs said:
Wow. I am shocked and saddened to hear this news. I have not been around lately and just learned of this tragedy.

What a man. What a loss.

I am proud to say I have not been around because I'm out digging up dirt and moving it around every day. I'm on the second month of my Bobcat rental and I swear its like a fountain of youth.

Unless my wife threatens me with death, I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy a new tractor next month. And I swear to god, if I get it, I will name it Shiny and paint it on the hood. I think he'd like that.

Now that's a tribute. :shiny: :thumbup:

Scoob:Can you ask Shiny's dad if there is something we can do, make a group donation to a specific charity or something in his honor?
I've asked that question and haven't heard back. With that said, what we're trying to do at LABS is to come up with a specific plan that we can come to the family with. We have an idea of a cause we think Shiny would have approved of. We're trying to consider a few factors in handling the donation process:1. We want anyone who gives to be able to write it off for tax purposes, to encourage as many people to donate as possible.2. We want the family to be able to know how much was raised, BUT3. We don't want the family to receive hundreds of acknowledgments from one charity. We'd like them to get one acknowledgment.So we're looking at it. When we have those things finalized, we'll ask the family for permission. If we get it, I'll post that information in another thread, as it would get buried in this one.

Scoob:Can you ask Shiny's dad if there is something we can do, make a group donation to a specific charity or something in his honor?
I've asked that question and haven't heard back. With that said, what we're trying to do at LABS is to come up with a specific plan that we can come to the family with. We have an idea of a cause we think Shiny would have approved of. We're trying to consider a few factors in handling the donation process:1. We want anyone who gives to be able to write it off for tax purposes, to encourage as many people to donate as possible.2. We want the family to be able to know how much was raised, BUT3. We don't want the family to receive hundreds of acknowledgments from one charity. We'd like them to get one acknowledgment.So we're looking at it. When we have those things finalized, we'll ask the family for permission. If we get it, I'll post that information in another thread, as it would get buried in this one.
I can see the point of #3, but I can also see the point of letting them know the sheer # of lives Breed touched.

I can see the point of #3, but I can also see the point of letting them know the sheer # of lives Breed touched.
I believe we're accomplishing that right here.

:confused: Great idea. Keep us in the loop and we will follow your lead.

I avoided posting in here hoping against hopes that this was an elaborate fishing trip, but alas, I can hold out no longer. RIP SP. Enjoyed most all of your posts.

True and that is probably enough. I was thinking that there may be some family members who won't come to this site for whatever reason. If the notifications are by email, there is no point, but if they are mailed, they could be seen by more people.

Last edited by a moderator:
True and that is probably enough. I was thinking that there may be some family members who won't come to this site for whatever reason. If the notifications are by email, there is no point, but if they are mailed, they could be seen by more people.
scoob's going to do what's best here. We just have to trust in that. Shiny's ifriends couldn't have a better representative.

Users who are viewing this thread