What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: Do You Allow Your Dog on The Couch? (1 Viewer)

Large Dog (50+ pounds)

• Yes

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters
NutterButter said:
Yes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love watching tv on teh couch with the pup right next to me sleeping.

I'd guess the no camp doesn't allow the dog on the bed as well.
You'd be correct.

They're dogs. Not humans.

85# lab is not allowed on the couch or our bed. When we watch my sister's shi-tzu he is allowed since he's small and doesnt shed

My frenchie is laying next to me chewing a bone while I play CoC and listen to the game. Wouldn't have it any other way.

NutterButter said:
Yes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love watching tv on teh couch with the pup right next to me sleeping.

You'd be correct.

i'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. should they not be allowed in the house? who let's animals in their house?

on the couch. 3 cockers and 2 pit bulls. cockers all the time, 1 pit some times, other pit when wife goes to bed...

150 lbs Great Dane and a 70 lbs Doberman. Both have a leather couch that is "theirs" in the living room. But we have a "nice" couch in the Hearth room that is off limits. The Dobie will sometimes test this limit.
This. My 90 pound lab has a love seat in the living room that is hers and that is the only one she gets on.

Our 45 pound pug/beagle/ridger mix is allowed on the couch, but only when invited(which basically seems like "always" as far as Mrs. 5-ish is concerned. I digress). He was trained to get down when told to get down though. He was also trained to get off the couch when told as well.

The knucklehead isn't welcome in our bed though. That is my domain. I don't get to sleep in his bed, he doesn't get to sleep in mine. It's an arrangement that he wasn't crazy about at first, but he isn't the boss of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weimaraners - 65 and 85 lbs.

Yes to the couch - we do have leather couches and they don't like laying on them. We put little blankets down on a cushion and they sit there.

parasaurolophus said:
If you don't allow your dog free reign of the furniture, you probably shouldn't even own a dog.
Don't understand this. My dog ripped the back of two couches because she would climb up there while we were gone and look out the window waiting for us. While it was adorable, there was simply no reason to let her ruin furniture.Three soda cans on the couch keep her off and her life is no worse.
It was a joke. I once started a thread about getting a dog and the plan was to keep it outside. I was publicly shamed, tarred, feathered and compared to Mike Vick. I now make jokes about it whenever I can. I also now understand more about having a dog as a pet and when we get one this Spring it will be indoors with the family.

NutterButter said:
Yes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love watching tv on teh couch with the pup right next

to me sleeping.

You'd be correct.

i'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

should they not be allowed in the house? who let's animals in their house?
It's very simple as to what it means. Dogs are distinguishable from humans. While they should be treated with general care (I.e. not left out in the cold), they shouldn't be treated as humans. They have dog beds. Because their dogs.

Do you let your pet bird sleep in your bed? How about your hamster or fish?

parasaurolophus said:
If you don't allow your dog free reign of the furniture, you probably shouldn't even own a

dog.
Don't understand this. My dog ripped the back of two couches because she would climb up there while we were gone and look out the window waiting for us. While it was adorable, there was simply no reason to let her ruin furniture.

Three soda cans on the couch keep her off and

her life is no worse.
It was a joke. I once started a thread about getting a dog and the plan was to keep it outside. I was publicly shamed, tarred, feathered and compared to Mike Vick. I now make jokes about

it whenever I can. I also now understand more about having a dog as a pet and when we get one this Spring it will be indoors with the family.
You realize half this board would save their own dog over a drowning human, right? I wouldn't talk the advice of crazy dog owners too seriously.

85# lab is not allowed on the couch or our bed. When we watch my sister's shi-tzu he is allowed since he's small and doesnt shed
:yes:

We've had four dogs. First two shed and were allowed on the couch. Back then our couches were crap anyway and I didn't care. Wife did but not enough to make a stink of it. We just vacuumed often. Third didn't shed and was small, so not much of an issue. Fourth is a beagle, sheds small hairs that get annoying so she's not allowed on the couch. She has a nice bed to lay in. She doesn't go on ours, we don't lay in hers. Works just fine.

ETA: she does lay on a chair in the kitchen which we never use. It's her little perch.

Allowing your dog on the couch doesn't mean you're treating her like a person, it just means you might have to vacuum more often.

NutterButter said:
Yes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love watching tv on teh couch with the pup right next

to me sleeping.

You'd be correct.

It's very simple as to what it means. Dogs are distinguishable from humans. While they should be treated with general care (I.e. not left out in the cold), they shouldn't be treated as humans. They have dog beds. Because their dogs.

:lol: nice reach.

I don't take our bird, fish or hamster for a daily walk on a leash either. Or make it poop in the yard. Or own one.

Not sure how to answer. We let our two dogs have free reign upstairs - 4 kids beds/bedrooms and a couch and love seat in our loft. But we don't allow them on the couches in the downstairs living room and the are too small to be able to jump on our bed - hell, I pratcically have to jump to get in to our bed.

We have four dogs, two under 30 lbs and two right around 60. They have all have free range of the house. All but the smallest regularly are found to be on a coach or chair somewhere in the house. They sleep on our bed, lay next to us when we watch tv and lay at our feet when we are in the living room etc. We love it this way and can't imagine having it any other way.

We live in a townhouse and the wife is in a wheelchair, so floor space is at a premium. A suitable dog bed for an 80 lb. dog takes up a lot of it, so the couch it is.

Of course not! They allow me on the couch.

Currently on the couch, recliner extended. Great Dane to my right, little terrier to my left, Aus Shep on my lap. Only the lab is on the floor.

NutterButter said:

to me sleeping.

You'd be correct.

Dog beds? Why does a dog need a bed? Its a dog. Is your dog suffering b/c it has to sleep on the floor?

If you don't allow your dog free reign of the furniture, you probably shouldn't even own a dog.
My girlfriend has two 130lb danes that have absolutely destroyed her leather couch. She's getting a new one this weekend and the dogs won't be allowed on it
Our 200+lb. St.Bernard killed a couch digging on it.

We got a new couch and still allowed him to get up on it but trained him that indoor digging was off limits.

70lb boxer and 15lb terrier. Both are allowed on the couch but can be told to get off and will stay off (i.e. visitors who aren't fans).

Of course, the boxer is actually the lap dog (boy) and the terrier would rather off to the corner by herself.

parasaurolophus said:
Don't understand this. My dog ripped the back of two couches because she would climb up there while we were gone and look out the window waiting for us. While it was adorable, there was simply no reason to let her ruin furniture.Three soda cans on the couch keep her off and her life is no worse.
It was a joke. I once started a thread about getting a dog and the plan was to keep it outside.I was publicly shamed, tarred, feathered and compared to Mike Vick. I now make jokes about it whenever I can. I also now understand more about having a dog as a pet and when we get one this Spring it will be indoors with the family.
:thumbup:

90 Lb. Lab/Golden Retriever.

No to the couch, but you can tell he's been on there, when we are not home. Sheds 24/7. A lot.

But my son and daughter allow them on their beds. He has an easy life.

NutterButter said:

to me sleeping.

You'd be correct.

This is not even close to the same. Read below and educate yourself.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130514-dogs-domestication-humans-genome-science/

NutterButter said:

to me sleeping.

You'd be correct.

This is not even close to the same. Read below and educate yourself.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130514-dogs-domestication-humans-genome-science/
It's more similar than comparing dogs to humans.

i am thinking that a couch is not a lifetime investment, so dog's ahoy. it only means you replace in what, 7 yrs instead of 9?

After reading everyone's thoughts here, i have had a change of heart about the dog on the couch. Going to train her to get down on command and not jump back on until invited. Also will put a blanket on the couch for her to lay on (minimize the dirt/dog hair.)

A Christmas gift to my Poop Machine!

2 80# labs and yes. I do love chillin' with them on the sofa. When they rest their head on your leg :thumbup:

One of them sleeps with us and I'll never do that again, though. We have a king sized bed and he still takes up seemingly 95% of the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread