What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (1 Viewer)

Guys this is dynasty quit fixating on Dalton so much. He's a rookie qb on a bad team that played one half in an extremely shortened camp. What do you expect? Look at all the Qbs Calvin has had on a bad team. Now the Parts are in place for him to be a top wr for years to come. What if Matty ice gets Carson Palmered? That team quickly goes to crap.
I agree to an extent. But one thing to consider is just how much better the entire Atlanta Falcons organization is run. Top to bottom they have a deeper roster, better coaching, and a better eye for talent, and most importantly and owner that actually cares about winning. And I think the difference in talent between these guys is razor thin if it exists at all. I consider them virtual equals.

Roddy White is going to compete with Julio Jones for targets. Who is competing with AJ Green?
I only play redrafts, so this is only for this season. The converse of your statement is that with no one competing with AJ Green for catches he willalso be double teamed on most plays. Jones, on the other hand, will almost never be double teamed because of Roddy White.
Seems that the performance of Dalton is what will make or break Green this year. Simpson and Gresham and Shipley all appeared poised at the end of last season with Palmer. I am not classifying them as all world, but they were able to produce. If Dalton can demonstrate an ability to connect with the open receiver, then defenses are going to need to respect those three as well as Green. Add to that the fact that Cedric Benson is a proven runner, and I have a hard time understanding where people keep coming up with "Green is going to be constantly double teamed" type statements.
I think people say this in response to the statement "Jones is going to have to share targets with Gonzo and Roddy. Green has nobody to share with." So the answer to that is "well then he'll be double-teamed." Both statements are wrong. He does have people to share with and won't be double teamed as every play. I think vs. Cincy teams will try to stop Benson and dare the rookie to beat them through the air.

No change in this discussion. Green is as good as advertised, but Julio was blanketed by Nnamdi last night. It's a telling sign that Nnamdi would cover Julio and not Roddy.

there was a good bit of debate about the QB difference and the "better" situation that Julio was/is in. It's certainly a debate that will go on for years but Green sure has looked terrific to start the year.

there was a good bit of debate about the QB difference and the "better" situation that Julio was/is in. It's certainly a debate that will go on for years but Green sure has looked terrific to start the year.
Admittedly I'm a Julio owner in a dynasty league, but that catch he made last night wasn't too shabby either. As an earlier poster said, Julio has been facing some tough teams so far, watch out when they get to the cake part of the schedule... :football: :football:

So far in the season, this AJ Green owner is glad I took a chance on him as a late round WR. He filled in nicely for Lloyd yesterday.

Green looks like he is going to be a great WR. Jones has not had a breakout game yet and is going to play second fiddle to the great Roddy White. In redraft leagues, Green was the WR to grab since Cincy's other WR is good but not great. That does not make Jones less talented.

This wont even be close....this year. Jones will never catch Green. Matt Ryan locks on to Gonzo and White so much and the Falcons like to play ball control. The Bengals will be losing in every game, so they will have to chuck it 40 times.

Green will finish around 1050/8

Jones will finish around 650/4

This wont even be close....this year. Jones will never catch Green. Matt Ryan locks on to Gonzo and White so much and the Falcons like to play ball control. The Bengals will be losing in every game, so they will have to chuck it 40 times. Green will finish around 1050/8Jones will finish around 650/4
I think Ryan will grow with Julio (in a dynasty league) but I think your numbers look good. Gonzo appears to be still-a-stud and the Falcons have a challenging schedule this season.Julio may end up with a few more TDs than 4 this season - he's a stud and couldn't easily catch 2 in any game.

This wont even be close....this year. Jones will never catch Green. Matt Ryan locks on to Gonzo and White so much and the Falcons like to play ball control. The Bengals will be losing in every game, so they will have to chuck it 40 times. Green will finish around 1050/8Jones will finish around 650/4
This post is making a lot of assumptions that aren't necessarily the truth. Ryan locked onto Gonzo this past weekend because they were playing the Eagles. The Eagles greatest defensive strength is their CBs. They are weak up the middle. Hence the gameplan was to get Gonzo more involved. Because it happened once, doesn't mean it will happen all season. Having said that, here's the target data for the Falcons so far:White 17Gonzo 16Jones 13Not enough variation or data points to make any conclusions yet. For example, Roddy White is averaging about 7.5 yards per catch so far. Think that will be they way his year goes, or is it a product of playing the Bears and Eagles defenses? AJ Green had a fantastic game this past weekend. No doubt about it. But does he abuse the Broncos secondary that badly if Champ Bailey plays? Would people being saying the opposite had Julio caught a 40 yard TD pass while the defense was still in the huddle instead of Green? Pretty convenient to forget that Joe Haden absolutely locked down AJ Green just a week ago. I'm not suggesting that AJ Green won't outperform Julio this year. He's already got a good headstart, and it very well could happen. I just don't think these two games are a very good barometer to gauge an entire season on.

Status update:

AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.

Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.

Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?

Status update:AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
I never thought that. But I thought - and still think - Green is the better redraft and dynasty option.

'spider321 said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
Status update:AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
Yes.
Thanks for your most awesome insight.

This should be a fun thing to track the rest of the way. Both guys had big days today. I didn't see the Atl game but did catch portions of the Cinci game. Green made a few catches that were simply ridiculous, Megatron-like. He could have had a few long TDs had the balls been better thrown. That seems to be a theme for him so far though. Kids a stud.

Here is one catch

The other was better.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya dalton misses him a lot on somewhat tough, but makeable, throws. but green's body control and ball tracking are, indeed, incredible. he doesnt remind me of megatron, hes not nearly as athletic and explosive, but his catch radius is absurd, which makes it even more disappointing that, too often, dalton is not able to let him make a play.

ofc, dalton should improve and has shown a lot of poise and promise in areas other than deeper balls.

ya dalton misses him a lot on somewhat tough, but makeable, throws. but green's body control and ball tracking are, indeed, incredible. he doesnt remind me of megatron, hes not nearly as athletic and explosive, but his catch radius is absurd, which makes it even more disappointing that, too often, dalton is not able to let him make a play.ofc, dalton should improve and has shown a lot of poise and promise in areas other than deeper balls.
I don't think Green's overall game is like Megatron. Only that those 2 catches he made today were Megatron-like. Jumping up over helpless DBs and making an incredible catch. Green isn't as athletic as Megatron. He is a smoother athlete though. He plays more like Fitz, only he's more athletic than Fitz.

This should be a fun thing to track the rest of the way. Both guys had big days today. I didn't see the Atl game but did catch portions of the Cinci game. Green made a few catches that were simply ridiculous, Megatron-like. He could have had a few long TDs had the balls been better thrown. That seems to be a theme for him so far though. Kids a stud.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
Awesome!

Green's frame belies his strength. That being said, I don't think he simply overpowers DBs like Calvin Johnson does. I hate comparing young players to HOFers, but the guy I can remember that Green plays most like is James Lofton. Both guys are/were deceptive strong but their primary attribute was body control and grace. Both guys have/had great hands and an ability to catch balls seemingly too far away from their body to bring in as well.

If Dalton could throw the short fade/stop fade better, Green would have had at least 1 TD today.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
That's a terrible catch. He completely stopped and turned all the way back to the QB. It should have been a TD if he just would have kept running and caught it normally.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
That's a terrible catch. He completely stopped and turned all the way back to the QB. It should have been a TD if he just would have kept running and caught it normally.
I'm sure he would have caught it "normally" if he were 9 ft. tall. :rolleyes:

Here is one catch

The other was better.
You obviously didn't watch the play, or aren't reading. If he would have kept running, he could have caught the ball normally.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
You obviously didn't watch the play, or aren't reading. If he would have kept running, he could have caught the ball normally.
The DB had upfield position on him. Had he done what you suggest it would have never been caught at all. When you are in traffic and covered, you catch the ball at it's high point. Green did exactly that.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
The DB had upfield position on him. Had he done what you suggest it would have never been caught at all. When you are in traffic and covered, you catch the ball at it's high point. Green did exactly that.
He was in front of the DB and thus had position.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
Yeah, in position to box him out and make a leaping catch. Not just keep running for an over the shoulder catch. I'm not seeing you're point.

Here is one catch

The other was better.
Yeah, in position to box him out and make a leaping catch. Not just keep running for an over the shoulder catch. I'm not seeing you're point.
Yea, not sure if this is just a Green hater saying he coulda kept running and had it, but Green was EVEN with the DB while the ball was in the air and was on the INSIDE of the DB while the ball was thrown to the outside (basically on the DBs line). Now the DB DID keep running and actually over ran the ball. Green identified that it was outside and a little short and rotated to the outside to make the grab. Really there was nothing else he could have done there to make that grab and I too question how anyone could see that any differently....

All that said, he isnt Megatron. I saw a # of plays today that while the QB needs to make better throws, Calvin would have had more muscle in the grabs and at least gotten closer to bringing them in. Still, solid/explosive Rook.

Green: 19 rec/312 yards, 2 TD; 1 rush for 6 yards

Jones: 24 rec/337 yards, 0 TD; 1 rush for -9 yards

Small advantage to Green so far on account of the TDs, but wow at both of these guys. I watched most of their college games, and even knowing how good they were didn't expect them to make the leap to NFL-ready so quickly and easily. Fantastic players.

Awesome. Btw, I think in the Julio Jones - AJ Green debate the correct answer is everybody wins.As a side note, what did CBS have high school announcers for the Bengals-Bills game?!?

-QG

How about we just agree that both are studs.At the quarter pole, julio is on pace for 96/1348green is on pace for 76/1248
Dont forget:Julio is on pace for 0 tds.Green is on pace for 8 tds.;)I own Green, Julio is in better sitaution. Dalton misses Green a ton. Julio will start throwing up TDs. Both guys are startable.

Ok, ok... no, I'm not a Green hater. I'm a Green owner. Maybe that's why I'm more critical because I think he would have had a chance to score if he'd hadn't stopped running. He should have kept running, out-jumped the defender for the ball, defender falls down, Green walks into the end zone. It happens every week.

Both are fantastic. I've beat the Julio Jones drum for months, but I've always said Green is great too. Green is more of your big play, amazing catch type of receiver.

Julio is the uncoverable manchild. Physical, beastly, a Terrell Owens-like presence out there.

Kudos to anyone in dynasty leagues that snagged one of these guys, as they will be studs for years.

11 catches for 127 yards in your rookie season. Wow, just amazing. Julio is such a special receiver, words can't really express it.

'zed2283 said:
Ok, ok... no, I'm not a Green hater. I'm a Green owner. Maybe that's why I'm more critical because I think he would have had a chance to score if he'd hadn't stopped running. He should have kept running, out-jumped the defender for the ball, defender falls down, Green walks into the end zone. It happens every week.
Watch it again. Green had inside position and was looking over his left shoulder. The ball was slightly underthrown and to the outside. It was a great adjustment to make the catch.

Users who are viewing this thread