What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

I've decided to try and clear some of the multitude of quests I've had for a while, so right now it's the drinking contest quest for me, then a couple of dungeon crawls, then back to companion quests. After that I'll finish the House of Horrors (man was that FREAKY when it started. It helped that it was about 2 am when I stumbled into it). I've found a number of scrolls - are they one time only uses, or do you activate/read them to "learn" them like you do spellbooks? I've figured out that I really need to up my armor as I'm still running around in the first basic Thieves Guild set that I was given, though it's been slightly upgraded. I just saw my first Glass piece of anything, so perhaps I'll start finding some armor in the dungeons (I've been shut out so far on any decent stuff other than weapons).
One time use for scrolls.

So Markarth..

I'm pretty much responsible for decimating the town's population. First I let the forsworn out of the mine and they went on a murderous rampage. Then I got roped into becoming a cannibal. After tasting the flesh I felt pretty disgusted and wiped out the feast attendees, who were all Markath residents. All in all I don't feel too bad because that whole town is pretty weird.

So I'm about to jump into the game this afternoon, after I trade in MW3. Wondering what race/class combination would be the best(most fun/effective) to choose. I know it's mainly subjective to each person. But any experienced opinions would be great.
As mentioned, Orc is good for a combat based character because of their double damage, receive half damage ability. Argonian is also good as they have a +100% healing, and the water breathing can be decent too.Mages I'd stick with Altmer for the extra magicka and the Highborn for quick magicka regen in a tough fight. Breton used to be the best race in Oblivion, but they took away the magicka bonus. They do still have Resist Magicka, and normally an always-active ability like that trumps the once per day powers. But I really am not finding magick resistance very necessary. Against dragons I'm sure it helps, but I really haven't had much difficulty with dragons after figuring out how to fight them.

'Sand said:
Huh - I guess the game is getting itself tougher. I'm at Faldar's Tooth and simply cannot complete it. These guys are one and two shot killing me. Full health to nothing with one arrow shot. Jeez.
Remember that some areas set themselves to the level you are when you first enter them, while other areas are always the same level.So if you stop in a cave at level 10 and then leave and come back at level 20, the cave might still be level 10. Or, if it is an area with a static level, you might go explore it at level 10 and be fighting level 30 critters.

Potion recipe(s) for Fortify Barter:

Any 2 of

Dragon's Tongue

Tundra Cotton

Butterfly wings (normal ones harvested from yellow butterflies, not the blue ones)

Hagravan Claw

Tundra Cotton can be found all over outside of Whiterun. Some Dragon's Tongue grows south of Windhelm

LEt's talk armor. I currently am rocking some elven armor I found and enchanted, but my enchanting skills are weak so it's a pretty weak enchantment. Never really use a shield as I want one hand for spells minimum.Definitely a light-armor character, but with all my stuff on I am only at about 97. What is the best light armor to go after and how do I get it?
Best light armor is dragonscale, you won't get it until you max out smithing and perk to dragon armor. Best way for this is to go up the heavy armor side since you will get the best weapons (daedric) and best light armor. You can also go up the light armor side to get there but your weapons won't be as powerful as deadric but at that point it isn't a terrible difference. So basically depends on if you like the looks of glass or daedric more.You will find various leveled armor in chests when you dungeon dive. If you found elven, you might be able to find some glass soon as you get higher in levels.
One thing I wondered on the perks. If you go up one side of the perk tree and hit the 100% perk, can you then start down the other side from the top? Like can I go up the middle of Enchant for bonuses in armor, then when I hit the top, go down the left side for weapon enchantments to grab the Shock perk without needing to spend anything on Frost and Fire which I don't plan to put on weapons much? Or do you have to move up from the bottom along any path to get at things higher up the path?

LEt's talk armor. I currently am rocking some elven armor I found and enchanted, but my enchanting skills are weak so it's a pretty weak enchantment. Never really use a shield as I want one hand for spells minimum.Definitely a light-armor character, but with all my stuff on I am only at about 97. What is the best light armor to go after and how do I get it?
Best light armor is dragonscale, you won't get it until you max out smithing and perk to dragon armor. Best way for this is to go up the heavy armor side since you will get the best weapons (daedric) and best light armor. You can also go up the light armor side to get there but your weapons won't be as powerful as deadric but at that point it isn't a terrible difference. So basically depends on if you like the looks of glass or daedric more.You will find various leveled armor in chests when you dungeon dive. If you found elven, you might be able to find some glass soon as you get higher in levels.
One thing I wondered on the perks. If you go up one side of the perk tree and hit the 100% perk, can you then start down the other side from the top? Like can I go up the middle of Enchant for bonuses in armor, then when I hit the top, go down the left side for weapon enchantments to grab the Shock perk without needing to spend anything on Frost and Fire which I don't plan to put on weapons much? Or do you have to move up from the bottom along any path to get at things higher up the path?
bottom up only. I have the left path of Smithing up to 100 but to get daedric unlocked on the right side I'd have to spend I think 5 perks. pretty sure I'm not going to bother.

Pickpocket can be a really great ability, or a really game-unbalancing ability.

It's awesome for making money. Doesn't take much to be able to pick pocket jewelry off of people that sells wells.

But if you use it to steal back money from trainers... you gain pickpocket levels so fast that you get in this vicious cycle of trying to get in your 5 trainings and steal the money back, but in doing so you advance enough to hit the next level. So when you try to get in those 5 trainings and steal your money back for that level, you again hit the next level, etc. I had a new character and I went from level 1 to level 19 in about a couple hours, without really doing any quests but the one to get access to the Thieves Guild. Ended up trashing the character and starting over, vowing to either not use training anymore, or not to steal my money back if I do.

Is this game working correctly for PS3 now. I need to pick a copy up for my oldest son for Christmas. He has PS3 in his room and younger son has the Xbox. Don't want to get it for Xbox as older son will take over both consoles.

Is this game working correctly for PS3 now. I need to pick a copy up for my oldest son for Christmas. He has PS3 in his room and younger son has the Xbox. Don't want to get it for Xbox as older son will take over both consoles.
yes and noThere is some lag issues that PS3 is dealing with. They are releasing patches but if you want a game with very few issues, the Xbox is the way to goMaybe they can switch consoles for a bit

'Matthias said:
I would strongly suggest getting it for the xbox at this point.
Had another issue with dragons flying backwards/lagging out for me on 360... is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
I would strongly suggest getting it for the xbox at this point.
Had another issue with dragons flying backwards/lagging out for me on 360... is anyone else having this problem?
That's a known bug that will be fixed with the patch that is going to be released within the next week.Basically, it looks like this game was made for the xbox and badly ported to the PS3. There's some things you can do to help it and Bethesda may fix it with future patches but given that it seems to be the same basic issues they've been dealing with for the last 5 years, I wouldn't hold my breath/bet on it.
Thank goodness, it sucks right now because basically the Dragon bugs out and there's no way for me to kill him.

As a Mage Alchemy is vital.
I thought that at first but have now abandoned alchemy completely. All I ever use is an occasional restore health or restore magicka and I find more of them than I can consume.
Ahhh yes I understand that. But it also becomes quite the money maker (not like smithing of course). It is a quick and easy way to raise gold when your mines are dry of raw materials for your smithing business.

If my sneak is at 100, does wearing muffled shoes help me to sneak better?

If my sneak is at 100 and wearing muffled shoes helps me sneak better, does casting the muffle spell while I'm 100 sneaking and wearing muffled shoes help me sneak even more? or is the muffle an "on/off" only thing?

If my sneak is at 100, does wearing muffled shoes help me to sneak better?If my sneak is at 100 and wearing muffled shoes helps me sneak better, does casting the muffle spell while I'm 100 sneaking and wearing muffled shoes help me sneak even more? or is the muffle an "on/off" only thing?
Haha you wear slippers

Play on the PS3 has been much improved, IMO, since the patch. The only odd thing I've noticed so far is that dragons turn to ash piles now rather than piles of bones.

Right now I buy soul gems and ingots/ore. Just got 100 enchanting... dunno what I will buy after I'm finished leveling smithing... training in something new?

I thought that at first but have now abandoned alchemy completely. All I ever use is an occasional restore health or restore magicka and I find more of them than I can consume.
Ahhh yes I understand that. But it also becomes quite the money maker (not like smithing of course). It is a quick and easy way to raise gold when your mines are dry of raw materials for your smithing business.
Eh, not too crazy about having a 'job' in Skyrim. I go around and kick ### and take anything with a 20:1 gold-to-weight ratio. I enchant some of it when I remember and then sell it off. I guess I might be doing it wrong, but after buying two houses and all the spells I need, I haven't found too much that actually need gold for.

'Matthias said:
What do you guys do with your gold?
I'm pushing 20,000 right now. I guess I'm saving for retirement.

I don't know if I've just been lucky or what but I've had very little lag from my PS3. I did have one lockup at one point but that was before the patch. My wife said she had a lockup once also so I guess that's 2 lockups total and both of us have main characters over level 40 and several other characters we are playing around with.

Eh, not too crazy about having a 'job' in Skyrim. I go around and kick ### and take anything with a 20:1 gold-to-weight ratio. I enchant some of it when I remember and then sell it off. I guess I might be doing it wrong, but after buying two houses and all the spells I need, I haven't found too much that actually need gold for.
Yeah my goal is to own 2 homes. I have one in Winterhold like everyone else but I want one over in either Solitude or Riften and Solitude is 25K before furnishings! But that is the Beverly Hills of Skyrim.Like I said i am playing the game at a good pace with no rush to level up at super human speed. to me it takes away from the total immersive experience. I am 65 plus hours in and only a level 23 and I still have not seen the entire kingdom.I love it.

I don't know if I've just been lucky or what but I've had very little lag from my PS3. I did have one lockup at one point but that was before the patch. My wife said she had a lockup once also so I guess that's 2 lockups total and both of us have main characters over level 40 and several other characters we are playing around with.
Same here. I'm level 44, and I've only had one freeze and no serious lag -- just some minor stuttering in cities when they're first loading. Load times are longer since the patch IMO, but still not a big deal.So basically I've had no issues at all, but other people are encountering game-breaking framerate drops. It's weird and seemingly random. If a person has a choice, I'd recommend getting it for the 360 because Bethesda is probably the single worst (major) PS3 developer in the industry right now, but having said that I haven't had any problems and have found this to be much more stable than Fallout 3.

I have had 2 freezes, some framerate issues here and there and the backwards Dragon pop up 2 times.

I know another patch is dropping (maybe it has already as I have taken a much needed 2 day break from this game) to help with some stability issues and the resistance bug.

But overall 95% of the time the game has been stable for me on my PS3.

Same here. I'm level 44, and I've only had one freeze and no serious lag -- just some minor stuttering in cities when they're first loading. Load times are longer since the patch IMO, but still not a big deal.So basically I've had no issues at all, but other people are encountering game-breaking framerate drops. It's weird and seemingly random. If a person has a choice, I'd recommend getting it for the 360 because Bethesda is probably the single worst (major) PS3 developer in the industry right now, but having said that I haven't had any problems and have found this to be much more stable than Fallout 3.
No issues for me since the patch.

I have had 2 freezes, some framerate issues here and there and the backwards Dragon pop up 2 times.

I know another patch is dropping (maybe it has already as I have taken a much needed 2 day break from this game) to help with some stability issues and the resistance bug.

But overall 95% of the time the game has been stable for me on my PS3.
I've had 0 freezes on 360, but that backwards dragon #### is p###ing me off.Hopefully they get that addressed soon, probably wont play tonight because of Steelers game so hopefully its done at some point between tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

ETA: Had no issues before the patch.

Yeah my goal is to own 2 homes. I have one in Winterhold like everyone else but I want one over in either Solitude or Riften and Solitude is 25K before furnishings! But that is the Beverly Hills of Skyrim.Like I said i am playing the game at a good pace with no rush to level up at super human speed. to me it takes away from the total immersive experience. I am 65 plus hours in and only a level 23 and I still have not seen the entire kingdom.I love it.
The Solitude house is awesome.

I've had 0 freezes on 360, but that backwards dragon #### is p###ing me off.

Hopefully they get that addressed soon, probably wont play tonight because of Steelers game so hopefully its done at some point between tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

ETA: Had no issues before the patch.
Yeah, the patch has not been my friend either. No freezes before the patch on PS3 with only minor lag issues in the towns. Now, 5 freezes since the patch. Can't move further in a quest because of the buggy dragon that can't be killed. And I still have minor lag issues in town. Patch was a great help for me, thanks Bethesda.

I bought the property in Solitude. It's very nice. Other than that, gold is plentiful. Never bought a horse. Trained maybe five skill levels.I'm with you on the levelling... I think I'm 28 now and am trying to clean up my misc quest list. I love walking and discovering. I've only got one perk left on the destruction tree and am working up the conjuration one next.

Still trying to get used to the xbox controller, having not owned a console since the 1st playstation. Been a pc gamer all these years. Does the d-pad not do anything in this game?

Enjoying the game very much, but need to get used to the controller. So used to the precision of the mouse in these types of games.

For the guys who don't want to make money or buy houses you can get a free place to live that is pretty sweet

complete the college of winterhold quest line and you get the archmages place. Equipped with chest, enchanting and alchemy stations and a pretty sweet ### tree in the middle of your room. Great for bringing hot chicks to

For those of you who have finished the Dark Brotherhood quests ....

the 20k purse for killing the emperor -- did you use it to revamp the 2nd DB sanctuary? Is there any benefit to me doing that other than checking off the "where you hang your head" quest ?

For those of you who have finished the Dark Brotherhood quests ....

the 20k purse for killing the emperor -- did you use it to revamp the 2nd DB sanctuary? Is there any benefit to me doing that other than checking off the "where you hang your head" quest ?
It's just like a house but not as good as the Solitude house. And that creepy vampire girl is always in your damn bedroom. Creepy.

I'm not reading those spoilers. But the Dark Brotherhood put a hit out on me yesterday and I have no idea why.

Still trying to get used to the xbox controller, having not owned a console since the 1st playstation. Been a pc gamer all these years. Does the d-pad not do anything in this game?Enjoying the game very much, but need to get used to the controller. So used to the precision of the mouse in these types of games.
The D-Pad doesn't do anything in any game. I don't know why they even put it on there.

Still trying to get used to the xbox controller, having not owned a console since the 1st playstation. Been a pc gamer all these years. Does the d-pad not do anything in this game?Enjoying the game very much, but need to get used to the controller. So used to the precision of the mouse in these types of games.
The d-pad is how you cycle through your favorites.

'CBusAlex said:
'Copeman said:
The D-Pad doesn't do anything in any game. I don't know why they even put it on there.
Uhhhh....The favorites menu is accessed by using the D-pad. Unless you plan on going to the main menu to switch items every time, it is incredibly useful in this game.

Heads up on a pickpocket bug.

It seems like if your bonus in it gets too high, it drops your chances to pickpocket an item to 0%. Example, I have it perked up to 80%, plus the 25% sleeping bonus and 50% coin bonus. That was ok, and I had a 38% chance to steal a large amount of gold. But when I put on an item with +20% to pickpocket, it dropped my chance to steal the gold to 8%. When I put on a second item with a +15%, it dropped it to zero.

I googled and found other people have hit it too. Some people hit it just by maxing out that first pick to level 5 and +100%. So beware maxing out that first perk.

Are Dragon encounters completely random? I'm level 20 and have only fought one dragon since the first one that proved I was Dragonborn. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm not going to the right places or are just unlucky.

Are Dragon encounters completely random? I'm level 20 and have only fought one dragon since the first one that proved I was Dragonborn. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm not going to the right places or are just unlucky.
Have you been to the Greybeards yet?There are random encounters and a few areas that always have them I believe. However, I think you need to do a little bit in the main quest to start seeing them, iirc.

have to remember to take off the ebony mail before i get in fist fights, guards get a little cranky when the guy starts dying

Not sure how it works. I'm level 20 to and have killed like 9-12 of them. Even had 2 come down at once.

Have you been to the Greybeards yet?There are random encounters and a few areas that always have them I believe. However, I think you need to do a little bit in the main quest to start seeing them, iirc.
Yes I've been to the Greybeards. They asked me to go pick up some horn and I haven't done that yet. I've seen a one in the distance a couple of times but they always fly away. I've checked the Wiki and it seems I should be getting interations. I also have 4 or 5 shouts that I can't unlock because I have no souls. Irritating.

Yes I've been to the Greybeards. They asked me to go pick up some horn and I haven't done that yet. I've seen a one in the distance a couple of times but they always fly away. I've checked the Wiki and it seems I should be getting interations. I also have 4 or 5 shouts that I can't unlock because I have no souls. Irritating.
Sometimes if you see them in the distance you just have to go make your move I think. Run those mofos down.

Sometimes if you see them in the distance you just have to go make your move I think. Run those mofos down.
Good place to find dragons is at the Mage base in Winterhaven. In fact it gets irritating because it is hard to do business in courtyard without a dragon interrupting everything. It is also a good place to fight a dragon because there are places to hide when does his breath weapon.

Some seem to be random. Others are definitely not random. Anytime you see a dragon head on your compass, that's a lair with a dragon flying around. Some lair locations in spoiler.
Those are also places you can pick up new shouts. On the mountain above Shor's Stone or whatever that mining town down southeast is called.Little mountain in the middle of the area full of lakes and geysers south-southwest of WindhelmNext mountain to the west from the Shrine of Azura.Mountain south of Riften.

Patch 1.3 is out for PC. The list of fixes includes:

General stability improvements

Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)

Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles

Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly

Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes

Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading

Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

The bold is the dragons flying backwards.

Apparently they also said they are working on a patch that will allow the game to make use of a full 4GB of memory. Right now you can download a user mod that will do that for you, but good that Bethesda is getting to it. Hope they get around to fixing the HUD for multiple monitors, though Hayden's fix has been working great for me in the meantime.

I haven't downloaded the patch yet... I disabled auto-updating in Steam so I can back up the directory before getting a new one in case it breaks anything I don't want broken. Will probably do it tomorrow and give it a try.

My dragons are bugged. when one appears, it shoots fire, then will just fly in place, but never gets farther or closer, even if I run towards them. I ended up just rolling a pure mage and might go back go that character later. This is the 360 version, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread