What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

How the heck do you actually make money in this game? I'm a level 16 now and I never have any money. If I try to sell stuff, they'll offer me like 200 gold for something and then turn around and sell it for 1700. WTH?
the late night five finger discount should make you dough. also steal all the metals and gems you can find and make jewelry to sell.
Interesting. I've found that the components of jewelry are worth more than created jewelry.

How the heck do you actually make money in this game? I'm a level 16 now and I never have any money. If I try to sell stuff, they'll offer me like 200 gold for something and then turn around and sell it for 1700. WTH?
the late night five finger discount should make you dough. also steal all the metals and gems you can find and make jewelry to sell.
Interesting. I've found that the components of jewelry are worth more than created jewelry.
hmm I'm going to have to look more into that. I've been doing it that way to build my Smithing skills.

How to make money.

Early game and for small sums, stealing everything in sight and selling to the Thieves Guild fence is decent. Thieves Guild can be found in Riften, talk to the people in the market. Once you complete a quest or two you can use the fence.

Raising your Speech

Picking up and selling everything you can helps. But if you just want to level up Speech quickly to get a better margin on what you sell, go into the Meadery in Riften, and talk to the guy behind the counter. Ask him about Maven and you'll get a chance to do a Persuasion check. You can ask him that same topic repeatedly, increasing Speech each time. It really isn't necessary to put perks into Speech as you can make a ton of money.

Improve your barter

There are a few ways to improve barter besides your Speech. An altar of Zenithar will give you +10% for 7 hours. You can find one if you go to the Riften stable, head down the hill, and turn right after the 2nd watch tower, going up the hill along the tiny dirt path. There is a critter up there the first time you go. You'll find the altar, and also can pick up an Amulet of Zenithar that also gives a 10% bonus. So between the two you've got a 20% bonus, you just need to equip it when selling, and check your Active Effects in the magic menu every once in awhile to make sure you don't need to go refresh it. Also realize any other altar you pray at will replace it.

Another way you can improve your Barter is to complete the beginning of the Thieves Guild and wear the hood that they give you when selling things. It's a +10%, so with the two above you're up to +30% on prices.

Pickpocket trainers

If you are training your stats, a lot of your money in the game goes to trainers. You can steal the money back from them, essentially training for free. The more money, the harder it is to steal back, so you may need to train once, steal it back immediately, repeat. Also, if you go this route, your will level super fast as Pickpocket increases quickly when stealing the amounts of coin you spend for trainers. You can also just pickpocket normal people, there are a lot of people with jewelry that will sell for 75-100.

Enchant

Enchanting weapons is incredibly easy to make money. It's like having your own printing press. First you'll need to disenchant some weapons to learn the enchantment you'll put on it. Banish (banishing Daedra) is the best but weapons won't show up with it until you're higher level. Paralyze is next best, followed by Absorb Health. Early game, Turn Undead and Damage Stamina are the two that you are most likely to find weapons with. The money for weapons is much, much higher than that for armor, so don't bother trying to enchant armor unless you plan to use it.

To churn out weapons, head up to the mage college in Winterhold and buy up all the Petty soul gems you can, including those that have souls. Buy the Soul Trap spell and head out into the wild. Every time you come across a critter, hit him with a Soul Trap spell before killing him. You have to be in touching range. You can also use a weapon with Soul Trap on it, though you have 60 seconds to kill it with the spell, only a few seconds with a weapon.

I normally enchant whatever weapons I find in my travels, but if you don't have weapons to put the enchantment on, just head to any blacksmith and buy up their iron ore, and also some leather strips or leather. The ore is much cheaper than ingots, and you can smelt it into ingots at most of the blacksmiths, including whiterun where it's kind of set back behind the building and forge a little. Turn them into iron daggers at a forge and then enchant the daggers. You won't make money off of just making the daggers and selling them, but with the enchantment you'll make enough even starting out with Damage Stamina that you can afford to buy ore and a soul gem with a Petty or Lesser soul already in it, and still make money. The enchantment adds the same amount of money regardless of weapon type, so you won't make any more by making a sword instead of a dagger. The dagger requires the least amount of materials, so is the best to do. It's very easy to just run around and kill wolves and such to fill up gems.

Right now I have about 20k in coins and I probably have 30 weapons sitting in a chest I haven't bothered to sell yet, with a 1k or more selling price at 50 speech... made with 100 enchant, dual enchanted with Banish and Paralyze.

Potions

Another easy way to make money, though in lesser amounts than Enchant, is by making potions. Every time you go through a town with an alchemy shop, stop in and buy all the ingredients that are low price. Starting out I buy anything that costs 10 coins or less. As my alchemy goes up and I start making more money for potions I buy higher and higher priced ingredients. I generally dump them all in a chest in my Whiterun house and then when I've accumulated a lot, go potion crazy.
Good stuff.
An easy way to fill soul gems is give your follower a weapon with the soul capture enchant and empty soul gems and they will fill them for you
Also...if you kill Cicero in the Dark Brotherhood questline, his clothes have a 20% price bonus that can be combined with the theifs guild hood.

They only are if your buy/sell rate is taken into account. Just in terms of base value the jewelry is worth more: * Silver Ingot is worth 50 (base value). Sapphire is worth 400. Silver Sapphire Necklace is worth 580, so you make 130. * Silver Ingot 50, and Garnet 100 make a Silver Garnet ring worth 160 for a +10. * Silver Ingot 50 makes 2 silver rings 30 each for a +10, or a single silver necklace for 60, also a gain of 10.The problem is unless you have a decent Speech and/or bonuses to barter, you are buying the Silver Ingot for a bit more than 50 and you are selling the rings for less than 60. Just starting out as a character, you probably lose a fair amount of money if you're buying your supplies. But if you found the supplies, you should normally make the jewelry before selling.

They only are if your buy/sell rate is taken into account. Just in terms of base value the jewelry is worth more: * Silver Ingot is worth 50 (base value). Sapphire is worth 400. Silver Sapphire Necklace is worth 580, so you make 130. * Silver Ingot 50, and Garnet 100 make a Silver Garnet ring worth 160 for a +10. * Silver Ingot 50 makes 2 silver rings 30 each for a +10, or a single silver necklace for 60, also a gain of 10.The problem is unless you have a decent Speech and/or bonuses to barter, you are buying the Silver Ingot for a bit more than 50 and you are selling the rings for less than 60. Just starting out as a character, you probably lose a fair amount of money if you're buying your supplies. But if you found the supplies, you should normally make the jewelry before selling.
I must have added wrong. I have a crapload of jewels sitting in my chest in my house. Some silver ingots, but frankly coming across ore is pretty rare. I do schlep a pickaxe everywhere just in case, though!

I must have added wrong. I have a crapload of jewels sitting in my chest in my house. Some silver ingots, but frankly coming across ore is pretty rare. I do schlep a pickaxe everywhere just in case, though!
Ah, that reminds me... for people on PC, the Glowing Ore Veins mod is kind of nice. I never realized how many ore veins I was walking past until I got it. Here is a picture of how it makes ore veins look. Each type gets its own color.

I just got around to completing the night to remember quest

when I first got to my fiancé, I thought that it was her mom or stepmom coming to get me. When I realized she was the girl, I got scared, then I said Holy Hargraves, then I lit her up. How smashed was I. Ultimate beer goggle IMO.

Like Greg mentioned, you want to be able to use the banish enchantment. If you find a weapon with this enchantment, you should absolutely disenchant it. If a vendor is selling a banishing weapon, buy it and disenchant it, no matter what it costs. I don't remember the exact numbers, but a steel dagger enchanted with banish using a petty soul gem will fetch almost 1000 septims. So basically you pick up the worthless-looking weapons you find in dungeons or just laying around, add banish, and you can immediately clean out every merchant in town. You can turn a huge profit by buying daggers (or forging them), buying filled petty soul gems (I use the wizard in Whiterun since the enchanting station is right there), and applying the banish enchantment. It is stupidly over-valued.The biggest problem with this is having to wait 48 hours all the time for merchants to replenish their gold.

Haven't picked this up in a while, mainly because I hate walking around to places, and how long that takes. I do run a bit to make it faster - is there any better way to do this?
Figured out an acceptable way around this - when I'm out traveling somewhere, I just set every quest to active and stop and hit everything on the way. Pretty obvious, but it really helps.

Like Greg mentioned, you want to be able to use the banish enchantment. If you find a weapon with this enchantment, you should absolutely disenchant it. If a vendor is selling a banishing weapon, buy it and disenchant it, no matter what it costs. I don't remember the exact numbers, but a steel dagger enchanted with banish using a petty soul gem will fetch almost 1000 septims. So basically you pick up the worthless-looking weapons you find in dungeons or just laying around, add banish, and you can immediately clean out every merchant in town. You can turn a huge profit by buying daggers (or forging them), buying filled petty soul gems (I use the wizard in Whiterun since the enchanting station is right there), and applying the banish enchantment. It is stupidly over-valued.The biggest problem with this is having to wait 48 hours all the time for merchants to replenish their gold.
I paid 9k for the weapon I got Banish off of, but was back up over 10k in coins within about 20 minutes. ETA: Though you can get them for cheaper, I saw one for 4k but didn't realize then how much more you make off Banish than other enchantments, so didn't spring for it at that time. Rather than wait 48 hours for merchants, I'd suggest just quick traveling. Hit the blacksmith woman and the merchant in the store in Whiterun (if you catch her outdoors a lot of times she has a different cash supply than the guy inside), then run down to Belethor's general good store, then up the stairs to the smith at the Skyforge. Then fast travel down to Riften and you can sell to the smith, the two merchants in the open air market, the Pawn shop, and the Thieve's Guild fence. That's 8-9 merchants, and you can restock on soul gems with Belethor and the Pawn shop, plus pop into the castle in Riften since you're right there (it's quicker to fast travel to there for the merchants than it is using the Riften icon itself). Oh, and you can also use a Fortify Barter potion and have it last long enough to hit multiple merchants that way to eek out another 40-80 coins per weapon sold.There are probably other places with a bunch of merchants close together but I still haven't been to most of the cities yet. So much to do!Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, having an SSD (Solid State Disk Drive) makes such a huge difference in a game like this. The load times are so short that it's tough to read any of the tip screens that are longer than a short sentence. Loads are so fast that if I'm leaving Dragonreach, I'll fast travel to Whiterun to move me over to the gate by the house because I get there so much quicker than walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that conversation topics don't always appear in the same order. You may have to scroll down, but yeah, just talk to him and ask what he has for sale.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, having an SSD (Solid State Disk Drive) makes such a huge difference in a game like this. The load times are so short that it's tough to read any of the tip screens that are longer than a short sentence. Loads are so fast that if I'm leaving Dragonreach, I'll fast travel to Whiterun to move me over to the gate by the house because I get there so much quicker than walking.
What's this?

I paid 9k for the weapon I got Banish off of, but was back up over 10k in coins within about 20 minutes. ETA: Though you can get them for cheaper, I saw one for 4k but didn't realize then how much more you make off Banish than other enchantments, so didn't spring for it at that time.
4k might as well be a million to me right now. I don't think I've ever even been over $2k. Clearly I need to slow down, do some side quests, and start working on pickpocketing. I don't know why, but I just haven't done any type of stealing at all (other than a horse). Guess I really need to start.

I paid 9k for the weapon I got Banish off of, but was back up over 10k in coins within about 20 minutes. ETA: Though you can get them for cheaper, I saw one for 4k but didn't realize then how much more you make off Banish than other enchantments, so didn't spring for it at that time.
4k might as well be a million to me right now. I don't think I've ever even been over $2k. Clearly I need to slow down, do some side quests, and start working on pickpocketing. I don't know why, but I just haven't done any type of stealing at all (other than a horse). Guess I really need to start.
You can make money enchanting with just about any weapon enchantment. You just get a lot more with some than others. Start enchanting any weapon you're going to sell and you'll get there quick.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, having an SSD (Solid State Disk Drive) makes such a huge difference in a game like this. The load times are so short that it's tough to read any of the tip screens that are longer than a short sentence. Loads are so fast that if I'm leaving Dragonreach, I'll fast travel to Whiterun to move me over to the gate by the house because I get there so much quicker than walking.
What's this?
You know what a hard drive is on a computer, right? Well it is physically a chunk of magnetic sensitive material that spins. Your computer also has RAM, which is storage just like a disk drive except it is much, much, much faster than regular disk drive is, and it is where the programs that are actually being run are copied to so they can be accessed faster.Well, picture if you made a disk drive out of a bunch of RAM chips, so it acted like a hard drive but was as fast as RAM is. And that's what a Solid State Drive is. It's a hard drive, but it's as fast as RAM.

It takes about 5 to 10 milliseconds to read something from a regular hard drive because there is a head that has to physically move over it like the needle on a record player. It takes about 0.1 milliseconds to read the same thing from an SSD, or about 50 to 100 times faster.

They are more expensive, so normally you only put things on them that get accessed a lot. You would want your OS (Windows, Linux, etc) on one, but wouldn't need to put your music because you're not stuck waiting for read times with music or videos. So you get a smaller SSD and a larger old fashioned hard drive and keep everything on the older drive that you can. But games that do a lot of loading are a good candidate to put on the SSD.

My laptop boots and is ready to use in about 20-25 seconds, with Windows installed on an SSD. My work laptop probably takes a minute, minute and a half to boot and has a normal drive.

Most people will tell you it's the single best investment you can make in a computer to improve it, if you don't have one.

You know that when you see stuff in dungeons you can pick it up, right? Also, whenever you kill someone you can loot their body for valuables. Take these found items to a merchant and sell them and your money woes should be solved toot sweet.But on a serious note: what do you spend your money on? I have the house in Solitude fully furnished and don't 'grind' enchanting, smithing or alchemy. I don't pickpocket or burgle. I have a chest full of crap that im too lazy to cart off to market. II only pick up stuff that is worth 20 gold per pound and I still have more money than I can spend.I just don't get how one can be low on funds in these games.

You know that when you see stuff in dungeons you can pick it up, right? Also, whenever you kill someone you can loot their body for valuables. Take these found items to a merchant and sell them and your money woes should be solved toot sweet.But on a serious note: what do you spend your money on? I have the house in Solitude fully furnished and don't 'grind' enchanting, smithing or alchemy. I don't pickpocket or burgle. I have a chest full of crap that im too lazy to cart off to market. II only pick up stuff that is worth 20 gold per pound and I still have more money than I can spend.I just don't get how one can be low on funds in these games.
Yea, money isn't an issue, nor do I really spend it. The only thing I have bought is potions and spells.

Can you get rid of enchantments? I have an enchantment for a helm that is +15 normally plus whether soul gem used. Recently found a Circlet of extreme archery that does 35% before the gem. I try to disenchant it and it says that th e enchantment is already known

Can you get rid of enchantments? I have an enchantment for a helm that is +15 normally plus whether soul gem used. Recently found a Circlet of extreme archery that does 35% before the gem. I try to disenchant it and it says that th e enchantment is already known
I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking, so correct me if I misunderstand.I think you're under the impression that you learned a +15 enchantment Fortify Archery and you found a +35 one and want that instead. If so, that isn't how it works. You just learn "Fortify Archery" or "Banish" or "Resist Frost". There is no rating associated with it based on the item you learned from. It doesn't matter if you learn "Fortify Archery" from an item that had a 10, 20, or 40 point bonus. It's just "Fortify Archery". The rating you get when you enchant is based on some base number for the type of enchantment, modified by your Enchanting level (including any bonuses from things like potions), perks, and then by the strength of the soul gem. For Fortify Archery the base rating happens to be +13%.So it is telling you that you already know Fortify Archery, so there is nothing to be gained by trashing a second item for something you already have.

Incidentally here is the exact formula for Enchanting strength:

net magnitude = base magnitude * soul multiplier * skill multiplier * (1 + Enchanter perk) * (1 + specific perk modifier)

Soul multiplier is as follows:

Class Multiplier

Grand x1

Greater x2/3

Common x1/3

Lesser x1/6

Petty x1/12

Skill multiplier is approximately 1 + 0.3 * ((skill-10)/100)^2.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking, so correct me if I misunderstand.I think you're under the impression that you learned a +15 enchantment Fortify Archery and you found a +35 one and want that instead. If so, that isn't how it works. You just learn "Fortify Archery" or "Banish" or "Resist Frost". There is no rating associated with it based on the item you learned from. It doesn't matter if you learn "Fortify Archery" from an item that had a 10, 20, or 40 point bonus. It's just "Fortify Archery". The rating you get when you enchant is based on some base number for the type of enchantment, modified by your Enchanting level (including any bonuses from things like potions), perks, and then by the strength of the soul gem. For Fortify Archery the base rating happens to be +13%.So it is telling you that you already know Fortify Archery, so there is nothing to be gained by trashing a second item for something you already have.
GotchyaI thought that of you learned an enchantment from a more highly rated piece then that would up the rating of the enchantment you can use.

By the way, I think time keeps running when you're using an Enchantment altar. That is, if you quaff a potion that increases your enchantment for 30 seconds, I don't think that the counter on it stops like it does when you're bartering with a merchant. If you sit figuring out what you want to make for 30 seconds, then get around to making it, the bonus from the potion will be gone.

I made a ring and a necklace both with Fortify Destruction and Grand souls, after drinking a potion that gave me a 60 second bonus. One of them had a lower rating than the other in Destruction. So I reloaded my save from before I started making them, drank the potion again and rushed through to make sure I got them in the 60 seconds and sure enough they ended up the same strength.

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Money is handy for buying training if you dont feel like grinding it out in some areas.
Speech is kind of a pain to level, so I spent a lot of money training that skill up. When you get above 55 or 60 in a skill, it can cost ~20,000 to train 5 times IIRC.That said, I recently saved up 100k in gold to get the achievement, and still have something like 40k after doing a bunch of training, and buying a couple more houses. And merchants still don't have enough money to buy what I would like to sell even after I've invested with them. I'm not even picking stuff up during dungeon crawls at this point.

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Money is handy for buying training if you dont feel like grinding it out in some areas.
Speech is kind of a pain to level, so I spent a lot of money training that skill up. When you get above 55 or 60 in a skill, it can cost ~20,000 to train 5 times IIRC.That said, I recently saved up 100k in gold to get the achievement, and still have something like 40k after doing a bunch of training, and buying a couple more houses. And merchants still don't have enough money to buy what I would like to sell even after I've invested with them. I'm not even picking stuff up during dungeon crawls at this point.
:eek:

I think I waited too long to do the mage stuff. Morokei took 5 arrows and dropped like a #####. :kicksrock:

I find training in Archery after you reach 50 or so is helpful. It takes forever to gain skill after that point. Much easier to pay the guy at the Thieves Guild or the wood elf in Riverwood.

An easy way to fill soul gems is give your follower a weapon with the soul capture enchant and empty soul gems and they will fill them for you
Why your follower? Why can't you use it yourself?
There's no reason you can't double up. If you are a mage most times you don't have weapon and are duel casting your destruction spells for the damage bonus. I have found it easier to not break my rotation and let my follower pick up the souls.

Dark Brotherhood question...

Did you kill Cicero? I hate the little ******* but let him live and lied to Astrid. I started to question her when she told me to ignore the night mother and do some other contract while she though about it.

Did you kill Cicero? I hate the little ******* but let him live and lied to Astrid. I started to question her when she told me to ignore the night mother and do some other contract while she though about it.
yep. His hat gives you a +35% sneak.

No. Mainly because when I summoned the ghost of LeChance, he said that Lord Sithis didn't want Cicero to die yet. So I spared Cicero hoping it'd help me in the end. It does. He becomes a decent companion. When you finish the questline, he comes back to the Sanctuary and hangs around the Night Mother. Also, a spare set of his armor is sitting on a table when you walk in to "kill" him. So I don't get why everyone killed him for his armor. There's an extra set sitting there as you walk in.

No. Mainly because when I summoned the ghost of LeChance, he said that Lord Sithis didn't want Cicero to die yet. So I spared Cicero hoping it'd help me in the end. It does. He becomes a decent companion. When you finish the questline, he comes back to the Sanctuary and hangs around the Night Mother. Also, a spare set of his armor is sitting on a table when you walk in to "kill" him. So I don't get why everyone killed him for his armor. There's an extra set sitting there as you walk in.
Look at the values/perks on them. The actual #### he's wearing is better than what's sitting on the table. Plus, he's a /<ucking dickwad

The Boethiah quest is pretty cool. Enjoyed that one, but it's odd that a stealth quest reward is heavy armor. Doesn't make sense and was very disapointing. I now have Lydia walking around sporting cool Ebony Armor (with the Boethiah armor "perk") and swinging the mace of Molag Bal. I hope she's not all anti_Daedra worship

So I think I may be getting this for Christmas. Where would a good beginners guide for this be. I understand some of what's going in this thread but would like a good primer so that when I start I am not :shock: :confused:

So I think I may be getting this for Christmas. Where would a good beginners guide for this be. I understand some of what's going in this thread but would like a good primer so that when I start I am not :shock: :confused:
Most answers can be found here Link. Use it as much/less as you feel like

'Greg Russell said:
Incidentally here is the exact formula for Enchanting strength:net magnitude = base magnitude * soul multiplier * skill multiplier * (1 + Enchanter perk) * (1 + specific perk modifier)Soul multiplier is as follows:Class MultiplierGrand x1Greater x2/3Common x1/3Lesser x1/6Petty x1/12Skill multiplier is approximately 1 + 0.3 * ((skill-10)/100)^2.
The :nerd: factor in this thread just went through the roof.

There is so much to do you can't really go wrong. Just decide early what kind of character you want to build and stick with that. Also I would wait to use your perks until you start to develop your guy. I spent a couple early on that I would like to have back.

There is so much to do you can't really go wrong. Just decide early what kind of character you want to build and stick with that. Also I would wait to use your perks until you start to develop your guy. I spent a couple early on that I would like to have back.
Any advice on strengths/weakness of characters?

After playing around with some Health Regeneration enchantments, I'm withdrawing my recommendation from Argonian for a fighter based character, which was in part based on their racial power that gives +100% health regen. It doesn't help you out nearly as much as I would have thought. I was gaining about 15 health in 10 seconds without bonuses. Throwing on two items that had over +30% each you're just jumping up to about 25 health in 10 seconds.

Given the choice of putting Fortify Health on them instead would give over +120 health at 100 enchanting. Compare that to healing an extra 10 health in 10 seconds with Fortify Health Regen, and your battle would have to last 2 minutes for your extra regen to break even.

Magicka regen is worth it though for mages, I think. Though you don't need to get crazy with it. Master level robes have like +125%, and throw in one more item with a +60 and you regen very fast soon as you stop casting. I got to the point I stopped putting more points into magicka and instead was upping my health.

Users who are viewing this thread