What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (2 Viewers)

So I think I may be getting this for Christmas. Where would a good beginners guide for this be. I understand some of what's going in this thread but would like a good primer so that when I start I am not :shock: :confused:
There is so much to do you can't really go wrong. Just decide early what kind of character you want to build and stick with that. Also I would wait to use your perks until you start to develop your guy. I spent a couple early on that I would like to have back.
Any advice on strengths/weakness of characters?
The only differences come from some racial bonuses. Each race has a few abilities they get a small bonus in at the start, and they also have some racial power.For a melee character, Orc is a very good choice. They have a power that gives them double damage and half damage taken once a day.For mage, Altmer is very good, as they have a +50 magicka, and have an ability with +100% magicka regen once a day.Beyond that I don't know if there is anything that really shines. Redguard have a power that gives +100% stamina regen once a day, but I think I'd rather have the Orc power.As for mage vs melee vs sneaky archer/backstabber, I'd just say go with your favorite. You can play a different type on another play through.

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Money is handy for buying training if you dont feel like grinding it out in some areas.
Speech is kind of a pain to level, so I spent a lot of money training that skill up. When you get above 55 or 60 in a skill, it can cost ~20,000 to train 5 times IIRC.That said, I recently saved up 100k in gold to get the achievement, and still have something like 40k after doing a bunch of training, and buying a couple more houses. And merchants still don't have enough money to buy what I would like to sell even after I've invested with them. I'm not even picking stuff up during dungeon crawls at this point.
You can talk to the guy behind the counter in the Meadery in Riften and keep asking him about Maven and each time he'll give you a Persuasion check to increase Speech for free. It might take a lot of clicks to advance it at high levels though.

'Greg Russell said:
Incidentally here is the exact formula for Enchanting strength:net magnitude = base magnitude * soul multiplier * skill multiplier * (1 + Enchanter perk) * (1 + specific perk modifier)Soul multiplier is as follows:Class MultiplierGrand x1Greater x2/3Common x1/3Lesser x1/6Petty x1/12Skill multiplier is approximately 1 + 0.3 * ((skill-10)/100)^2.
The :nerd: factor in this thread just went through the roof.
You say that like it's a bad thing? :)The UESP site has most of the formulas for things like this.

I've read elsewhere that many feel melee is OP... Having only played a pure Mage to this point, I cannot comment on that. I'm level 30 now and I die sometimes but have fun with my wizard. The feeling I've heard from most folks here is to just play what you like. I don't think any class is really gimped (unless you just spread yourself really thin).

Beyond that, I would sum up the Mage thusly:

Strengths

Damage versatility. I can hit equally hard with fire, ice and lightning to target weaknesses.

Specialization. I only have one tree maxed - destruction - and whoop ### all day long.. If I were melee, I'd need a weapon and armor at a minimum. Archer would need sneak and archery.

Area of effect spells. Let's me kill a whole group of bad guys if they're concentrated right

Weakness

Damage caps. Melee and archers can reach some pretty insane damage numbers whereas mine caps at about 90, I think

Area of effect spells. Let's me kill my. Companions when they're acting as meat shields.

I will update if I think of anything else.

Like I said, play what you like and don't worry too much about min/maxing or optimizing everything (unless that's what you do for fun). I think you'll be viable with whatever build you play.

Magicka regen is worth it though for mages, I think. Though you don't need to get crazy with it. Master level robes have like +125%, and throw in one more item with a +60 and you regen very fast soon as you stop casting. I got to the point I stopped putting more points into magicka and instead was upping my health.
Hmm... I'm dumping almost all my points into magicka and regens and still run out of magicka in lengthy fights. I have the archmage robes, morokei's mask and a ring of recharging (40%), I think. Also have galdur's amulet (whatever the one that bumps all three stats).Of course, I dual cast everything and have ####ty aim, so that might be part of my problem.

For those having trouble making gold, here's my advice: Blacksmithing

Steps:

1. Take the perks to get Ebony Blacksmithing, (You can actually do this with Dwarven and probably others that are lower, but they don't have the same profit margin)

2. (Optional) Preferably get the 1st perk in Speech to help with prices 10%, and slap on all the items that are enchanted to help with prices (Thieves Guild Hood for example for another 10%)

3. Buy all the Ebony Ignots you come across and make Ebony Bows (best Price per Bar ratio)

4. (Optional) Slap on gear that's enchanted to increase improvement rate when improving weapons/armor

5. Go to the Grinder and improve the Bow and make it Legendary doubling the value (or more) with just a single Ebony bar

6. Find some merchant with enough gold to buy the bows back (you'll likely have to sell them to multiple after you clean each one out, it helps to sell to the same one you bought the Ignots from)

7. (Optional) Enchant the final bows before selling them with a low-level soul gem to increase enchanting at the same time, you'll get more than your money back for the gem

The most difficult part in making money in this game, once you do the above, is finding merchants with enough gold to buy your final product bows.

Trouble leveling Blacksmithing?

Iron Daggers = 1 Iron Ignot + 1 Leather Strap

Buy a ton of mats, make a ton of daggers, aprx 4-5k gold to get to level 100, but you only need to be level 80 for Ebony

Magicka regen is worth it though for mages, I think. Though you don't need to get crazy with it. Master level robes have like +125%, and throw in one more item with a +60 and you regen very fast soon as you stop casting. I got to the point I stopped putting more points into magicka and instead was upping my health.
Hmm... I'm dumping almost all my points into magicka and regens and still run out of magicka in lengthy fights. I have the archmage robes, morokei's mask and a ring of recharging (40%), I think. Also have galdur's amulet (whatever the one that bumps all three stats).Of course, I dual cast everything and have ####ty aim, so that might be part of my problem.
Actually, I bet the problem is that you aren't wearing enough Fortify Destruction. When your spell cost is low you don't need a massive regen bonus. And you get more bang for the buck with the Destruction item than the regen item normally. Unless you're doing a lot of other schools in combat.

Oh, on the money making, I forgot to mention... those grimy beggars running around, if you give them 1 gold you'll get a Blessing that bumps your Speech 10 points for an hour.

'Ignoramus said:
'Greg Russell said:
This matches my playstyle to a T.

'Ignoramus said:
'Greg Russell said:
I haven't used the highest level fire spells much, but when I got to firebolt I noticed the distortion from the dual cast made it so I couldn't see my target. Switching to lightning bolt helped a lot there as you can still see clearly.Speaking of which, isn't it annoying when a punk ### low level fire necromancer hits you with a flame blast and you can't hit him back because you're burning and can't see anything past the flames? I wish the NPCs had that problem with being blinded when we hit them with it.

'Pots said:
For those having trouble making gold, here's my advice: BlacksmithingSteps:1. Take the perks to get Ebony Blacksmithing, (You can actually do this with Dwarven and probably others that are lower, but they don't have the same profit margin)2. (Optional) Preferably get the 1st perk in Speech to help with prices 10%, and slap on all the items that are enchanted to help with prices (Thieves Guild Hood for example for another 10%)3. Buy all the Ebony Ignots you come across and make Ebony Bows (best Price per Bar ratio)4. (Optional) Slap on gear that's enchanted to increase improvement rate when improving weapons/armor5. Go to the Grinder and improve the Bow and make it Legendary doubling the value (or more) with just a single Ebony bar6. Find some merchant with enough gold to buy the bows back (you'll likely have to sell them to multiple after you clean each one out, it helps to sell to the same one you bought the Ignots from)7. (Optional) Enchant the final bows before selling them with a low-level soul gem to increase enchanting at the same time, you'll get more than your money back for the gemThe most difficult part in making money in this game, once you do the above, is finding merchants with enough gold to buy your final product bows.Trouble leveling Blacksmithing?Iron Daggers = 1 Iron Ignot + 1 Leather StrapBuy a ton of mats, make a ton of daggers, aprx 4-5k gold to get to level 100, but you only need to be level 80 for Ebony
I swim in money. I spent 36K on training last time. I spent several perks on speech. Problem is I wish I had those perks for other things now.As a mage you can on one for the first retrieve the book quests at the mage academy. In the bandit dungeon there is a transmute iron to gold spell. Great money making spell. Transmute ore to gold and refine it into a necklace.

'Ignoramus said:
'Greg Russell said:
I switched to Lightning because I was tired of setting my companion on fire or seeing him look like a pincushion full of ice shards. :bag:

'Ignoramus said:
'Greg Russell said:
I switched to Lightning because I was tired of setting my companion on fire or seeing him look like a pincushion full of ice shards. :bag:
I think I killed Lydia permanently with fire. Where can I get a new companion?

'Ignoramus said:
'Greg Russell said:
I think I killed Lydia permanently with fire. Where can I get a new companion?
Found mine in some random dungeon. Goldir or something, he wanted to avenge his ancestors. He doesn't ##### as much as Lydia, so I like him. He was free, but you can also hire them in major cities, check the inns and bars.

'Pots said:
For those having trouble making gold, here's my advice: Blacksmithing

Steps:

1. Take the perks to get Ebony Blacksmithing, (You can actually do this with Dwarven and probably others that are lower, but they don't have the same profit margin)

2. (Optional) Preferably get the 1st perk in Speech to help with prices 10%, and slap on all the items that are enchanted to help with prices (Thieves Guild Hood for example for another 10%)

3. Buy all the Ebony Ignots you come across and make Ebony Bows (best Price per Bar ratio)

4. (Optional) Slap on gear that's enchanted to increase improvement rate when improving weapons/armor

5. Go to the Grinder and improve the Bow and make it Legendary doubling the value (or more) with just a single Ebony bar

6. Find some merchant with enough gold to buy the bows back (you'll likely have to sell them to multiple after you clean each one out, it helps to sell to the same one you bought the Ignots from)

7. (Optional) Enchant the final bows before selling them with a low-level soul gem to increase enchanting at the same time, you'll get more than your money back for the gem

The most difficult part in making money in this game, once you do the above, is finding merchants with enough gold to buy your final product bows.

Trouble leveling Blacksmithing?

Iron Daggers = 1 Iron Ignot + 1 Leather Strap

Buy a ton of mats, make a ton of daggers, aprx 4-5k gold to get to level 100, but you only need to be level 80 for Ebony
You can get a ton of free ebony ore in Gloombound Mine. This is much better than buying ingots, which are fairly expensive. Otherwise this a good post. I didn't realize so many people were always running low on cash in this game.

After I finished the main quest in Oblivion, the game held little allure and I stopped playing for a bit. Then I made a new character.

I'm wondering if the same thing is going to happen in Skyrim. My main character has finished the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild, and last night finished the main quest.

Anyone still playing after finishing the main storyline? Is the so-called "infinite quests" things really that enjoyable?

'Ignoramus said:
'Greg Russell said:
:goodposting:

For those of you who finished the main questline -

I tried the Call Dragon shout again while outside. Sure enough a dragon appeared, and when two frostspiders and a bear attacked me, he swept down and make quick BBQ of them. However, he left the friendly Imperial soldiers by me and Shadowmere alone. I'm not sure if it was Odahviing! again or just another dragon, but the shout does seem to bring a dragon to fight for you. Could be handy when taking out a bandit fort.

While practicing my lockpicking skills on the chests in the Thieves Guild I opened one to find a Warhammer of Banishing :excited: . I have been searching all the merchants for an item with banishing and now just randomly found one. Off to disenchant it and let the money roll in.

I'm actually getting as :mellow: about enchanting + smithing as I got about training + stealing your gold back.

Too unbalancing. You level up enchanting and smithing so incredibly fast. And enchanting gives you so much money that money pretty much ceases to matter. And to top it off when you max out enchanting (and smithing at that) your equipment is just awesome, which means that you're not likely to improve on it short of some very best in the game unique item.

Which means then you're just grinding quests to get through them, instead of doing them for whatever prize is at the end that may improve your character.

I already instituted a self-imposed ban on training. I think I'm going to have to come up with a self-imposed limit on smithing and enchanting too. Like maybe I won't buy any ore, ingots, or soul gems. Make myself have to actually find them. Should slow down their leveling to a more reasonable pace that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually getting as :mellow: about enchanting + smithing as I got about training + stealing your gold back. Too unbalancing. You level up enchanting and smithing so incredibly fast. And enchanting gives you so much money that money pretty much ceases to matter. And to top it off when you max out enchanting (and smithing at that) your equipment is just awesome, which means that you're not likely to improve on it short of some very best in the game unique item.Which means then you're just grinding quests to get through them, instead of doing them for whatever prize is at the end that may improve your character.I already instituted a self-imposed ban on training. I think I'm going to have to come up with a self-imposed limit on smithing and enchanting too. Like maybe I won't buy any ore, ingots, or soul gems. Make myself have to actually find them. Should slow down their leveling to a more reasonable pace that way.
:goodposting: I didn't even touch smithing or enchanting until I was already in the mid-30s, but you're right -- smithing in particular is a little game-breaking and is incredibly easy to level up. I haven't found enchanting to be so bad, but I think that's because I've invested almost nothing in eestruction so I can't add meaningful damage-dealing enchantments to anything despite having enchanting at ~75. (I haven't put any perks into enchanting either). But yeah, if I was going to start over with a new character, I might forbid myself to smith anything or enchant anything.

I'm actually getting as :mellow: about enchanting + smithing as I got about training + stealing your gold back. Too unbalancing. You level up enchanting and smithing so incredibly fast. And enchanting gives you so much money that money pretty much ceases to matter. And to top it off when you max out enchanting (and smithing at that) your equipment is just awesome, which means that you're not likely to improve on it short of some very best in the game unique item.Which means then you're just grinding quests to get through them, instead of doing them for whatever prize is at the end that may improve your character.I already instituted a self-imposed ban on training. I think I'm going to have to come up with a self-imposed limit on smithing and enchanting too. Like maybe I won't buy any ore, ingots, or soul gems. Make myself have to actually find them. Should slow down their leveling to a more reasonable pace that way.
For me, the elder scrolls games have always been better when played in a more D&D roleplaying style. I love the way they level things up, but it can become unbalancing. So I prettymuch limit myself to what a particular character would or would not do - my character who is good in smithing isn't going to be that good in enchanting (and vice versa - I don't see a mage-type enchanter getting near the forge anyway.) My two-handed, heavy armored warrior isn't going to be that good in magic or sneaking, and my mage will not wear armor and swing a mace as a last resort only.

Tip I forgot to post.

If you are going the training route, make sure you do not have any bonuses that raise the skill. The trainer will charge you money based on what your adjusted skill is, not the base score. To see if you have anything boosting a stat, just go into the skills/level up menu and if that skill's number is in green, you have a bonus to it.

The opposite should be true though I didn't test it. If you have something lowering your skill, it probably lowers the cost. Not sure what you can do to lower a skill though, other than contracting a disease.

Level 31 now, still broke - but I'm not grinding anything. I do a lot of smithing and alchemy because I really enjoy them. Don't do a lot of cooking except for cabbage stew and one thing I just leaned about in the spoiler tag.

Started Thieves guild and the armor they gave me were a huge step down.

Sabre Cats like apple pie. Having apple pie in your inventory is supposed to increase the chance of a sabre cat spawning nearby
Also a question about casting a healing spell on sick people:

The question is: why doesn't it work. I finally obtained a "heal others" (or something) spell and it has no effect on the sick people at the church in Whiterun. Do I need to activate a quest? Increase my Alteration (or whatever) rating? Temporarily fortify my magicka?

Post Main Quest Fun -

Call Dragon does indeed summon Odohviing! for you. He will engage any enemy in range, including other dragons. I just sat back and watching him go toe-to-toe with a Frost Dragon in the air, fire vs. cold. The Frostie got whipped, landed with almost no health, and then I sunk my daggers in for the kill. Awesome.

By the way, I do think you can get a lot of fun replay after the main quest in this game. The key is taking those somewhat boring guild quests (I know the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood have them; I'm sure the other factions do too), but traveling on foot or horse to them.

So I received a heist job from Vex. The job is in Solitude. I decided to ride there instead of map jumping. I'm not even halfway there and already stumbled upon a dragon lair, killed the dragon, and also whipped out a fort of bandits. Loads of fun.

:thumbup:

Level 31 now, still broke - but I'm not grinding anything. I do a lot of smithing and alchemy because I really enjoy them. Don't do a lot of cooking except for cabbage stew and one thing I just leaned about in the spoiler tag.Started Thieves guild and the armor they gave me were a huge step down.

Sabre Cats like apple pie. Having apple pie in your inventory is supposed to increase the chance of a sabre cat spawning nearby
Also a question about casting a healing spell on sick people:

The question is: why doesn't it work. I finally obtained a "heal others" (or something) spell and it has no effect on the sick people at the church in Whiterun. Do I need to activate a quest? Increase my Alteration (or whatever) rating? Temporarily fortify my magicka?
Unless there is a quest associated with it, I would be surprised if you could cure them.Even if you can cure them, a spell that heals damage wouldn't get rid of an illness. You'd need a cure disease spell. Just like there are healing potions that heal damage, and cure disease that remove diseases, but they don't do both. And if it is a quest, it would just come down to what the quest designer chose to make you need. Though this is the kind of thing that someone will say, "Hey, you SHOULD be able to cure them" and go make a mod that lets you. :)

Post Main Quest Fun -

Call Dragon does indeed summon Odohviing! for you. He will engage any enemy in range, including other dragons. I just sat back and watching him go toe-to-toe with a Frost Dragon in the air, fire vs. cold. The Frostie got whipped, landed with almost no health, and then I sunk my daggers in for the kill. Awesome.
I'm in love with this shout. So I come across a bandit fort in the road. I sneak up to it, take aim, and fire an arrow into one of them. She's tougher than I figured, because it doesn't kill her. So I Call Dragon. Next thing I know, I'm getting rushed by 3 tough bandits with 2 handed swords. They're pushing me back, doing damage, and just as I'm about to break and run, BOOM! Odohviing! lands on top of all three. Bodies scatter everywhere. :lmao:

Two live. They scramble to their feet. Then comes the fire.

Back at the fort, I hear the rest of the bandits say "retreat! retreat!"

Too much fun.

Post Main Quest Fun -

I'm in love with this shout. So I come across a bandit fort in the road. I sneak up to it, take aim, and fire an arrow into one of them. She's tougher than I figured, because it doesn't kill her. So I Call Dragon. Next thing I know, I'm getting rushed by 3 tough bandits with 2 handed swords. They're pushing me back, doing damage, and just as I'm about to break and run, BOOM! Odohviing! lands on top of all three. Bodies scatter everywhere. :lmao:

Two live. They scramble to their feet. Then comes the fire.

Back at the fort, I hear the rest of the bandits say "retreat! retreat!"

Too much fun.
Try loading your follower with Double Enchanted Daedric Armor and weapon, ordering him to attack a city guard, using your shout, and just watching the two fight off a dozen guards/people. It's entertaining.

If I stomble across a lair, kill and take everything am I risk for loosing any quest associated with that lair?
I know I killed the vampire of Morthal about 3 days before I got the quest from the Jarl to kill him. Went to his lair and he was there again :shrug:YMMV

Anyone playing 2 characters at the same time?

I find myself with the urge of starting a new character (thief/archer/ thieves guild/dark brotherhood overall bad guy) from time to time to spell myself with my lvl 33 character (tank/Companions overall good guy).

Am I doing something wrong with shouts? I feel like I am a very good distance into the game (lvl 48, multiple skills at 100, etc). I think it said you can learn 3 words per shout. I have about 10 or so unlocked, but only one word on 9 of them. I got the FUS RO unlokced by the greybeards but that's the only one I have even a second word on. How do you further unlock these?

If I stomble across a lair, kill and take everything am I risk for loosing any quest associated with that lair?
The game is suppose to protect against this. In information from the developer early on, they stated that even if you killed a person whose job in the game was suppose to give you a quest, the game would be smart enough to let another NPC give you the quest.

Am I doing something wrong with shouts? I feel like I am a very good distance into the game (lvl 48, multiple skills at 100, etc). I think it said you can learn 3 words per shout. I have about 10 or so unlocked, but only one word on 9 of them. I got the FUS RO unlokced by the greybeards but that's the only one I have even a second word on. How do you further unlock these?
That was about where I was at my level 40+ before I reverted back to an old save to avoid doing enchantment. Most of the ones I had were from finding the dragon lairs on the surface that show up on your compass. I was assuming the additional words were probably down in the bottoms of dungeons. I have only been through two Barrows, but both had words in them so I figure those are probably places to target.

Go talk to the Greybeards. They'll direct you to new shout locations and a lot of those are the second/third words for shouts.

I guess I need to go back to Greybeards. last time I was there they didn't have anything to tell me / anything for me to do.

edit: thanks all. I didnt realize there would be 3 locations for a single shout....figured you'd unlock one then improve on it.

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Just bad luck. You'll find them eventually. I just found the second word to FROST breath while wandering around.ETA: A lot of shouts you get via the main questline. I'm level 40 and have 15 shouts, 9 with two or more words.

Just met a Stormcloak soldier who used to be an adventurer like me until she took an arrow to the knee. So I helped her out. Now she's a dead person who used to be soldier, until she took an arrow in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread