What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (6 Viewers)

Prior to week 16 game:

"His 2 best passing games were on the road. You are seriously overrating his splits. They are nothing special. 270 OR a TD? And he had 5 interceptions in one road game so thats only 3 in the others, so other than GB it 3-3ints. He has been bad for fantasy all year, road or home, except a handful of games and thats basically 2 home and 2 on the road. (if you count last week a good game).

1929 combined yds at home 10 tds, 3 Ints

1903 combined yds on road 7 tds, 8 ints (5@GB)

272 yds, 1td/game away.........275 yds, 1.4td/game @ home. The Ints are really influenced by the GB game. 3 v 3 otherwise"

the split just wasn't there.

And 270 and 1 is not what I want out of my starting qb. 

You were acting like its a huge split but it just isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll be underdrafted next year because the casual fan won't know he was banged up last year.
Yep.  There were several weeks where he shouldn't have been out there.
Agree. By ppg in my two dynasty leagues last season:

• League 1 (4 pt TDs, no penalties for turnovers): weeks 1-9 - QB #23; weeks 10-17 QB #4
  • League 2 (6 pt TDs, penalties for turnovers): weeks 1-9 - QB #25; weeks 10-17 QB #4
In both cases, he was less than 1 ppg behind QB #2.

Wilson is an interesting pick this year. He's a guy that will fall second fiddle to the more "sexy" picks out there like Carr, Mariota, maybe even Winston? 

FBG has Wilson at QB6 overall ADP 55... not sure that is really huge value. IMO he's going right where he deserves (QB 5-6). Sure, I'd have him above Brees personally at QB 4 right along side with Luck

Where is he going that people think he poses such great value? If, as I suggested, Carr, Mariota, Winston are going above Wilson then yes he poses excellent value. 

I'm more concerned that after the top tier the second to third tier isn't that huge of a drop... so really those who wait until very late in the draft can still score a guy like Dak, Carr, Cousins and be in pretty good shape. 

Wilson completed 14-of-27 passes for 158 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Seahawks' 17-9, Week 1 loss to the Packers.

Wilson added two carries for 40 yards. As was the case in many of the Seahawks' 2016 road performances, Wilson was running for his life behind his sieve-like offensive line. Healthy — for now — Wilson continually evaded the oncoming rush, but was routinely flushed into spots where it was impossible to make plays. There was little he or the Seahawks' pass catchers could do, especially with the running game gaining zero traction. There aren't reinforcements walking through that door, meaning it's probably going to be another highly-uneven year for Wilson. He does have a prime bounce-back opponent for Week 2, as the Seahawks will be hosting the 49ers.

Amazing that they have a crappy Oline AGAIN.  Is it really that hard to make any kind of improvement to an OL?

Amazing that they have a crappy Oline AGAIN.  Is it really that hard to make any kind of improvement to an OL?
It isn't like they didn't try. They went after T.J. Lang in the offseason and he signed with the Lions. I actually heard Lang on the radio say that the money offered by Seattle and Detroit was pretty much the same. I am not sure who else they went after, but they need to do something.

Yeah.....this is not a good start for a QB pretty much universally forecasted top 5.  In my league he has fewer points than Mike Glennon  and Josh McCown.   I know the line is bad, he had some dropped passes yesterday, etc but folks that have watched his games keeping the faith?  Is there any reason for optimism here?

Yeah.....this is not a good start for a QB pretty much universally forecasted top 5.  In my league he has fewer points than Mike Glennon  and Josh McCown.   I know the line is bad, he had some dropped passes yesterday, etc but folks that have watched his games keeping the faith?  Is there any reason for optimism here?
Yep have him in dynasty. Screwed me last year but i chalked it up to injuries. Was expecting a big bounceback this year.  Starting to lose hope...

Anyone else get burned by this turd bucket weeks 1 and 2 and then watch him go off on your bench today burning you again?  

Might cost me my matchup this week.  

I now realize what it means to be a Russell Wilson owner.  It's my first season where I drafted him.  Basically he's either going to cost you your matchup or win it for you.  Most streaky and inconsistent qb in the top 10.   But if you drafted him, you're stuck having to play him every week.  BC the week you bench him he goes off.  

It's a crime how little help they gave him, to be honest. They continue to give him zero help with the o-line, and then right before the season. they trade one of his starting receivers for more defensive help.  Not like Jermaine Kearse is a star, but it's symbolic of how they all are all in on defense and basically ask Wilson to do it all by himself on offense. 

It's a crime how little help they gave him, to be honest. They continue to give him zero help with the o-line, and then right before the season. they trade one of his starting receivers for more defensive help.  Not like Jermaine Kearse is a star, but it's symbolic of how they all are all in on defense and basically ask Wilson to do it all by himself on offense. 
It is kind of dysfunctional.

Wilson has been incredible this season. Through 10 games:

• The team has 24 offensive TDs and 2 2-point conversions; Wilson passed or ran for all of them except 1 TD.
  • Wilson is #2 in passing yards (behind Brady) and #3 in passing TDs (behind Wentz, Brady), despite playing behind a poor OL
  • Wilson leads Seattle in rushing with 337 rushing yards, which is #2 among QBs (behind Newton), and he is averaging 6.2 ypc; the next highest rusher for Seattle is RB Carson with 166 yards, and Seattle RBs are collectively averaging less than 3 ypc
  • Wilson is #2 in total offense, with 3014 yards (behind Brady), and he has accounted for 82% of SEA total yards, which is NFL record pace
  • Seattle is 6-4; 2 of those wins were comebacks led by Wilson; in the loss to WAS, Wilson led a comeback to take the lead with 1:34 remaining, but the SEA defense could not hold; in the loss to ATL, Wilson led the team into FG range with 7 seconds remaining but Walsh missed the game tying FG
  • SEA is playing without 3 impact starters on defense (Sherman, Chancellor, Avril), shifting more of a burden to Wilson and the offense to carry the team
IMO Wilson is the true MVP of the league at this point, but I assume he is running third in the race behind Wentz and Brady.

Wilson is amazing and I’m grateful for every last stat up to this point, but man, his first 2 FF playoff matchups are worrisome. 

14: @JAX

15: v LAR

Wilson is amazing and I’m grateful for every last stat up to this point, but man, his first 2 FF playoff matchups are worrisome. 

14: @JAX

15: v LAR
Absolutely.  If I make it to the playoffs I’m almost certainly sitting him for jax and possibly for LAR too as they just seem to have his number.  

But if I make it, it will be on Wilson’s arm and legs!  So it will be tough to sit him.  

Absolutely.  If I make it to the playoffs I’m almost certainly sitting him for jax and possibly for LAR too as they just seem to have his number.  

But if I make it, it will be on Wilson’s arm and legs!  So it will be tough to sit him.  
I wouldn't sit him against anyone. Right now the Seahawks Defense is pretty bad and their run game is putrid. He is going to have to keep being their entire offense. He has shown that when he struggles to pass the ball then his run numbers take off and when a QB runs for 60+ yards in most leagues that is pretty significant. 

Other than maybe Brady, I don't think any QB in the league runs the no huddle offense better than Russell and because of their situation they likely will be forced to use that a lot the rest of the way.

I wouldn't sit him against anyone. Right now the Seahawks Defense is pretty bad and their run game is putrid. He is going to have to keep being their entire offense. He has shown that when he struggles to pass the ball then his run numbers take off and when a QB runs for 60+ yards in most leagues that is pretty significant. 

Other than maybe Brady, I don't think any QB in the league runs the no huddle offense better than Russell and because of their situation they likely will be forced to use that a lot the rest of the way.
That JAX matchup scares the hell out of me.  

Wilson has been incredible this season. Through 10 games:

• The team has 24 offensive TDs and 2 2-point conversions; Wilson passed or ran for all of them except 1 TD.
  • Wilson is #2 in passing yards (behind Brady) and #3 in passing TDs (behind Wentz, Brady), despite playing behind a poor OL
  • Wilson leads Seattle in rushing with 337 rushing yards, which is #2 among QBs (behind Newton), and he is averaging 6.2 ypc; the next highest rusher for Seattle is RB Carson with 166 yards, and Seattle RBs are collectively averaging less than 3 ypc
  • Wilson is #2 in total offense, with 3014 yards (behind Brady), and he has accounted for 82% of SEA total yards, which is NFL record pace
  • Seattle is 6-4; 2 of those wins were comebacks led by Wilson; in the loss to WAS, Wilson led a comeback to take the lead with 1:34 remaining, but the SEA defense could not hold; in the loss to ATL, Wilson led the team into FG range with 7 seconds remaining but Walsh missed the game tying FG
  • SEA is playing without 3 impact starters on defense (Sherman, Chancellor, Avril), shifting more of a burden to Wilson and the offense to carry the team
IMO Wilson is the true MVP of the league at this point, but I assume he is running third in the race behind Wentz and Brady.
Amen to all of this. 

Unfortunately for Wilson, he'll probably have to win a Super Bowl without a great defense for his detractors to ever give him full credit for how great he's been.  

Including today, the guy is just willing my team to the playoffs. However, I saw week 14 vs JAX staring me in the face a couple weeks back and traded for Dak @ NYG just in case I can't roll with him.

How do you bench him though? He's been indefensible.

Including today, the guy is just willing my team to the playoffs. However, I saw week 14 vs JAX staring me in the face a couple weeks back and traded for Dak @ NYG just in case I can't roll with him.

How do you bench him though? He's been indefensible.
Dak’s a dumpster fire and NYG defense playing better. Wouldn’t do it.

In the 2 weeks since this post, I would like to believe Wilson has moved ahead of Wentz in the race. IMO he also should be ahead of Brady, but I have zero confidence in the voters to agree. This is a nice video review of Wilson's game against the Eagles with some Wilson MVP talk.

Absolutely unbenchable.  Too 5 qb against the best defense in football.  Singlehandedly willed me to the semis.  Amazing.  
I benched him for Stafford.  He outscored him 50-35 in my league.  Didn't end up mattering much, but Lockett and Ebron on my bench too probably cost me the high score.

So what are people expecting from him next week against LAR?   He had statistically one of his worst games of the year against them week 5.   But that was on the road and the team plays better in SEA.  I know you’ve got to play him unless you have Brady (would have said Wentz too but that’s off the table).  Just thinking this isn’t a + matchup for him again this week. 

So what are people expecting from him next week against LAR?   He had statistically one of his worst games of the year against them week 5.   But that was on the road and the team plays better in SEA.  I know you’ve got to play him unless you have Brady (would have said Wentz too but that’s off the table).  Just thinking this isn’t a + matchup for him again this week. 
Not really the time to be second-guessing Wilson at this point. Quite honestly, he’s a set and forget regardless of the matchup. Gets Rams at home at they were shredded by the Eagles. Unless you have Brady, I don’t understand how you could bench him in that spot, regardless if you have reservations. 

Likely rolling him out this weekend over Aaron Rodgers (assuming Rodgers is cleared and an option for me to start). LAR is tough, especially against the Seahawks, but Wilson feels unbenchable at this point.

Likely rolling him out this weekend over Aaron Rodgers (assuming Rodgers is cleared and an option for me to start). LAR is tough, especially against the Seahawks, but Wilson feels unbenchable at this point.
LAR didn’t look too tough this weekend vs the Eagles

Users who are viewing this thread