What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (1 Viewer)

Phenix, do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning? If so, you may want to take a very introductory language course. If not, your argument is a simple attempt to redefine a word to mean something other than what it is universally accepted as. My only guess as to the reason for that is you are making an attempt to try to convince the rest of us that it's OK for you to use it. At best, your feeble attempt at best severely damages your credibility. As everyone else here accepts it to be a racial slur, please excuse yourself from the discussion, or accept the meaning that 99% of us attribute to the word (ie it's universally accepted meaning)
One I do not care about credibility on a message board, thanks though. Two, who the hell you think you are to dismiss its true meaning as written in the dictionary and to tell me to dismiss myself.

People like you and your interpretations are part of societies problem, not the remedy. Don't put your lack of education on me, that is your own problem as well.
I don't dismiss it's definition. How about you answer the question? Do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning?

Attacking my intelligence and making statements that people like me are society's problem (notice the correct grammar) just further diminishes your credibility. BTW, if we were to compare our education (or anything else meaningful), I have a feeling you would be quite disappointed, much like you should feel about your performance in this debate.
Yes, but I can't get past the fact we still look at a word as more than just that and that people feel entitled to give a word meaning that is not intended this day in age. Don't lump me in with the dumb down society that see that.

How do you say black in spanish?

Riley Cooper Excused From All Team ActivitiesRiley Cooper has been excused from all team activities, the Eagles announced early Friday afternoon.

The statement reads:

“As we have said, Riley Cooper will be seeking counseling and we have excused him from all team activities. This is all new territory and we are going to evaluate this timetable every step of the way. He will meet with professionals provided by the Eagles during this period of time to better help him understand how his words have hurt so many, including his teammates.”

The announcement came with a statement from Cooper as well.

“The last few days have been incredibly difficult for me,” it reads. “My actions were inexcusable. The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get. I keep trying to figure out how I could have said something so repulsive, and what I can do to make things better.

“Right now, I think it’s important for me to take some time to reflect on this situation. The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I’ve done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time.

“During this time I’m going to be speaking with a variety of professionals to help me better understand how I could have done something that was so offensive, and how I can start the healing process for everyone. As long as it takes, and whatever I have to do, I’m going to try to make this right.”

Maybe a thread title edit reflecting he's excused from team activities is in order? Some may have stopped reading this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riley Cooper Excused From All Team Activities

Riley Cooper has been excused from all team activities, the Eagles announced early Friday afternoon.

The statement reads:

“As we have said, Riley Cooper will be seeking counseling and we have excused him from all team activities. This is all new territory and we are going to evaluate this timetable every step of the way. He will meet with professionals provided by the Eagles during this period of time to better help him understand how his words have hurt so many, including his teammates.”

“The last few days have been incredibly difficult for me,” it reads. “My actions were inexcusable. The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get. I keep trying to figure out how I could have said something so repulsive, and what I can do to make things better.

“Right now, I think it’s important for me to take some time to reflect on this situation. The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I’ve done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time.

“During this time I’m going to be speaking with a variety of professionals to help me better understand how I could have done something that was so offensive, and how I can start the healing process for everyone. As long as it takes, and whatever I have to do, I’m going to try to make this right.”
He says the right things.......this is probably the right move.

Riley Cooper has been excused from all team activities, the Eagles announced early Friday afternoon.

The statement reads:

This is needed. Go away for a bit and so will this. Next week NE comes to practice with us so all eyes will be on the murderer I'm sure.

Phenix, do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning? If so, you may want to take a very introductory language course. If not, your argument is a simple attempt to redefine a word to mean something other than what it is universally accepted as. My only guess as to the reason for that is you are making an attempt to try to convince the rest of us that it's OK for you to use it. At best, your feeble attempt at best severely damages your credibility. As everyone else here accepts it to be a racial slur, please excuse yourself from the discussion, or accept the meaning that 99% of us attribute to the word (ie it's universally accepted meaning)
One I do not care about credibility on a message board, thanks though. Two, who the hell you think you are to dismiss its true meaning as written in the dictionary and to tell me to dismiss myself.

People like you and your interpretations are part of societies problem, not the remedy. Don't put your lack of education on me, that is your own problem as well.
I don't dismiss it's definition. How about you answer the question? Do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning?

Attacking my intelligence and making statements that people like me are society's problem (notice the correct grammar) just further diminishes your credibility. BTW, if we were to compare our education (or anything else meaningful), I have a feeling you would be quite disappointed, much like you should feel about your performance in this debate.
Yes, but I can't get past the fact we still look at a word as more than just that and that people feel entitled to give a word meaning that is not intended this day in age. Don't lump me in with the dumb down society that see that.

How do you say black in spanish?
oooooooooooooooooooooof

Kerry Collins managed to overcome the negativity and continue his career. And he wasn't even drunk when he used the word... against a teammate no less.

(One of the rare time Collins was not drunk.)

Kerry Collins managed to overcome the negativity and continue his career. And he wasn't even drunk when he used the word... against a teammate no less.

Kerry Collins didn't live in the twitter generation. Most people have probably forgotten he ever said that.

Kerry Collins didn't live in the twitter generation. Most people have probably forgotten he ever said that.
The "Twitter generation" will only effect the boom of the story. He goes away for the week and the vultures (media) picks at some other carcass' and/or creates something else.

I'm really tired of folks playing the racist card in this country.

I have a close colored friend that I've known for a long time. I have used this (omg, horrifying) "n-word" to describe him, in his presence. I have also called him "token", on many, many occasions. He calls me "cracker" and "whitey" in my presence, sometimes in the same freakin' sentence!!! Usually, we do this in bars to "eff" with closed-minded people.

I personally would not be offended if some black professional athlete got into an altercation with a white security guard at a concert and stated he would, "jump that fence and take on every white cracker out there...", and then that video clip somehow went viral. Whatever. Who freakin' cares?.....Well, not me, that's for sure.

I have a close colored friend that I've known for a long time. I have used this (omg, horrifying) "n-word" to describe him, in his presence. I have also called him "token", on many, many occasions. He calls me "cracker" and "whitey" in my presence, sometimes in the same freakin' sentence!!! Usually, we do this in bars to "eff" with closed-minded people.

I personally would not be offended if some black professional athlete got into an altercation with a white security guard at a concert and stated he would, "jump that fence and take on every white cracker out there...", and then that video clip somehow went viral. Whatever. Who freakin' cares?.....Well, not me, that's for sure.
Wish more thought this way, it would ease a lot of tension.

Apparently there are lots of people who do.

Apparently there are lots of people who do.
I still don't care. Their values are misplaced if they worry about silly little words. When I was growing up there was a saying that rang true in my head and still does. I'll let you good folks in on it, in case you haven't heard it.......

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS CAN NEVER HURT me!"

Grow some thicker skin people.

1st, you have a "colored" friend? I don't know where to even start with that......

2nd, so you have a "friend" that you "joke" around with so you apparently think it's OK to go anywhere in the US / world and call random people racial slurs out of anger. I suggest you go to some larger and more diverse cities and give it a shot and tell us how that works out for you.

Just curious, what do you call random Asian people walking down the street? How about those people of Latin American descent? Do you "joke" with them as well? Do they also find it funny? How about homosexuals? Do you "joke" around with them? Love to hear how that goes over as well.....

You have some hard life lessons to learn. Good luck with that

Ignorant people tend to stick together and wish more people saw things their way instead of accepting reality

Some of you people on here are a joke ! The dude got drunk and got loose with the lips. This is who he is and is an example of what he was taught

Ignorant people tend to stick together and wish more people saw things their way instead of accepting reality
Riiiiight. You accept what you're conditioned to believe and think.

The word has 3 definitions according to Webster, you know, the people who write about about the definitions of words...

1- a black person

2- a member of any dark-skinned race

3- a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons or group of people who feel left out of the political process.

Nothing about racism. Stop treating the word with your own interpretations and treat it how it is. It is not my fault people are offended by the word used over 100 years ago that does not mean what everyone thinks it does. Is the group of people offended by this word going to continue to act like its offensive even though they are the only ones allowed to use it? Yeah hypocrites.

Stop it already, its a word, that certain people gave meaning too. Also, just because you say the word does not make you racist, get your head right. Ridiculous and ignorant any person or group of people who think so. Ironic we want to preach about rights the ones offended by the words have, but what about the right we have to use any word.

In order for the times to change, I think the only thing that will do it is stop acting like the word is anything more than that... a word.

Remember this word is only offensive because of the lack of education of what the word really means.
Link to those 3 definitions ?
Here's the actual link to Merriam-Webster.

Here's a cut and paste of what they actually have as the definition. Italics, formating, etc, are theirs.

1 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a black person
2 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
3: a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's ######s … all the people who feel left out of the political process — Ron Dellums>
See ###### defined for English-language learners »
Usage Discussion of ############ in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

The statement reads:

this always cracks me up when a politician gets caught sleeping with an aide or someone says something inexcusable, things that they clearly know are wrong, then they get caught and then all the sudden they need to go to counseling to figure out why they did what they did. So phony.

The word has 3 definitions according to Webster, you know, the people who write about about the definitions of words...

1- a black person

2- a member of any dark-skinned race

3- a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons or group of people who feel left out of the political process.

Nothing about racism. Stop treating the word with your own interpretations and treat it how it is. It is not my fault people are offended by the word used over 100 years ago that does not mean what everyone thinks it does. Is the group of people offended by this word going to continue to act like its offensive even though they are the only ones allowed to use it? Yeah hypocrites.

Stop it already, its a word, that certain people gave meaning too. Also, just because you say the word does not make you racist, get your head right. Ridiculous and ignorant any person or group of people who think so. Ironic we want to preach about rights the ones offended by the words have, but what about the right we have to use any word.

In order for the times to change, I think the only thing that will do it is stop acting like the word is anything more than that... a word.

Remember this word is only offensive because of the lack of education of what the word really means.
Did you leave out everything Webster's said on purpose?

Definition of 1
usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a black person
usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.
Also this from the Webster's learner's dictionary

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/

[count] offensive : a black person This is one of the most offensive words in English. Do not use this word.

1st, you have a "colored" friend? I don't know where to even start with that......So don't.

What does it matter if he's blue, green, black, red or yellow (just to name a few various colors)? His skin color is brown, by the way.

2nd, so you have a "friend" that you "joke" around with so you apparently think it's OK to go anywhere in the US / world and call random people racial slurs out of anger. I suggest you go to some larger and more diverse cities and give it a shot and tell us how that works out for you. Just because I "joke around" with my good friend, to mess with peoples heads, why would you assume I think it's okay for me to go anywhere and call random people anything?

Just curious, what do you call random Asian people walking down the street? Nothing, don't know any random "Slant Eyes".. How about those people of Latin American descent? Nothing, don't know any. Do you "joke" with them as well? Sure, if I knew any well enough, I'd call them a "****". Do they also find it funny? Don't know, because like I said, I don't know any. How about homosexuals? Nah, all people are free to live however they choose, I don't judge others because of their sexual preferences. To each their own. Do you "joke" around with them? Don't know any at the present time, but sure, I would call them a "Flamer". Love to hear how that goes over as well.....Let you know when, not if, it happens....how's that?

You have some hard life lessons to learn. Been there, done that. Good luck with that Thanks!!

How can i respect someone so ignorant. It s word, it does not change who the man is. We all used the word, we have, I will call anyone a liar and no one will convince me they have not... NO ONE!

Stop the elitist crap, and move on people.
[SIZE=10.5pt]This is a silly statement. Words are a form of expression. They don’t change who a person is, but they can certainly give incite into the things that make a person who he or she is. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And what is 'elitist' about being offended by offensive behavior? [/SIZE]

don't use the word

it is just not that hard

i don't care if you think it is unfair, if you have some deep emotional attachment to the word, if your white friend uses the word

just don't use it

i cannot believe people don't get this or don't want to

The statement reads:

This is needed. Go away for a bit and so will this. Next week NE comes to practice with us so all eyes will be on the murderer I'm sure.
:doh: This isn't going away.

what's ironic is that he likely lucked into the best situation he'll get in his career and before he can take advantage of it he shoots himself in the foot. idiot.

I can't wait for games to start.

Partailly so stories like this, BioGenesis, and a few other oversensationalized topics will just go away.

Cooper can go to all of the meetings and get all of the sensitivity treatment he wants, but if he is still using that word so casually as an adult, then that attitude towards blacks is a part of who he is and that ain't gonna change overnight.

I think he'll be cut by the end of next week.

The statement reads:

:doh: This isn't going away.
I tend not to feed your kind but....

With him being gone, there's little to talk about....something else will come up in the meantime and no one will care ala Kerry Collins

Ruffrodys - have you actually referred to your friend as "colored" to his face? Just wondering.
Yes. In private conversations, and in public.

I'm colored too......white. Well, kinda peachy really. (At least that's the color I used from the Crayola Crayon box when I was a kid. I'm not aware if they've come up with a color called 'skin' yet.) When I stay in the sun too long, I am red. When I spend short amounts of time in the sun for many days in a row, I am brown.

The color of a person's skin has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether they are a good/decent/great person or not.

It wasn't a casual "N" dropped.... it was dropped with hatred.
LOL

Its the way every NFL black skinned player talks - big ####### deal

get over it - get over it regardless of your skin color

if ya'll want to give black people words no other color skin can use, lets do that, but its racist to say white's can't have their words too then

which way do you want it ?

LOL

Its the way every NFL black skinned player talks - big ####### deal

get over it - get over it regardless of your skin color

if ya'll want to give black people words no other color skin can use, lets do that, but its racist to say white's can't have their words too then

which way do you want it ?
:lmao:

If people are going to be persecuted by the court of public opinion, which is the height of hypocrisy, and are going lose their jobs, social standings and are being brought to court on civil charges, just make it against the law, period.

That way EVERYONE is on even playing field, held accountable and treated equally for breaking the law. Our ridiculous society has chosen to treat a word like a crime so make it law and be done with it.

If people are going to be persecuted by the court of public opinion, which is the height of hypocrisy, and are going lose their jobs, social standings and are being brought to court on civil charges, just make it against the law, period.

That way EVERYONE is on even playing field, held accountable and treated equally for breaking the law. Our ridiculous society has chosen to treat a word like a crime so make it law and be done with it.
Nobody is treating a word as though it's a crime. You suggested we should do such, but I haven't heard anyone else do so.

Nobody is treating a word as though it's a crime. You suggested we should do such, but I haven't heard anyone else do so.
When people are losing jobs, a living and being sued for using a word, that's the same treatment someone receives for committing crimes.

When people are losing jobs, a living and being sued for using a word, that's the same treatment someone receives for committing crimes.
Who is being sued?

If Riley doesn't like the stardards to which his employer is going to hold him, he doesn't have to work for them. He signed a contract which allowed his employer to fine him for certain behaviors. This is clearly one of them.

Paula Dean was just sued for using the same slur.

In keeping with the Cooper subject in particular, one reporter likened it to " if a player steals from another player in the locker room, he's basically gone off the team and can never be trusted. In my opinion what Riley Cooper did was worse"

End quote

So if stealing and theft is a crime, and many consider this more egregious, why not make it a law so we all know the rules and can all be held accountable equally?

Paula Dean was just sued for using the same slur.

In keeping with the Cooper subject in particular, one reporter likened it to " if a player steals from another player in the locker room, he's basically gone off the team and can never be trusted. In my opinion what Riley Cooper did was worse"

End quote

So if stealing and theft is a crime, and many consider this more egregious, why not make it a law so we all know the rules and can all be held accountable equally?
I don't know know anything about a Paula Dean lawsuit. But it is not a crime. You can't be sued for saying the word.

Is your question rhetorical? Or are you really asking that? Plenty think working on Sunday is wrong - should that be a law? Or pre-marital sex?

Thinking something is wrong, or an indication of poor character, is not the same as suggesting it be a crime. I am sure these people would defend Riley's constitutional right to say what he did.

Users who are viewing this thread