What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (4 Viewers)

Considering Stedman Bailey over him...Belichick should have Revis blanketing Keenan, and like others said he'll take his chances with someone like Royal beating them

I'm considering Jarvis Landry as my flex instead of Allen.
Same decision. Going Landry at home versus a bad Ravens pass D.
I have some good options, just not sure which one is the best:

Evans vs. Detroit (12th vs WR)

Landry vs. Balt (31st)

Maclin vs. Sherman & Seattle (3rd)

Hopkins vs. Jac (24th)

Leaning towards Landry also due to the matchup, but I could be swayed to go with one of the others!

Thoughts??

Bumping this for those considering either starting or benching Allen.

Who are you starting/benching over?
Thinking K.Allen will have low numbers... Considering replacing him with P.Garcon or M.Sanu.D.Bryant started at WR1 and I've got K.Stills starting at WR2, while benching R.Wayne...

Considering Stedman Bailey over him...Belichick should have Revis blanketing Keenan, and like others said he'll take his chances with someone like Royal beating them
I have the same choice, but I think I'm going with Allen. I would kick myself if I lost because I started a WW pickup over Allen.

Although, I'll still kick myself if I lose b/c I started Allen over a WW pickup with a much better matchup.........so, I will probably flip a coin.

Worried about Revis covering Allen but his potential for upside is just too high despite the matchup. Starting him over Bailey this week.

Worried about Revis covering Allen but his potential for upside is just too high despite the matchup. Starting him over Bailey this week.
I have the same scenario in ppr. I am rolling with Allen too. I expect the game to be high scoring with SD having to throw to keep up....or so I am telling myself.

ColoradoColt said:
Bumping this for those considering either starting or benching Allen.

Who are you starting/benching over?
Thinking K.Allen will have low numbers... Considering replacing him with P.Garcon or M.Sanu.D.Bryant started at WR1 and I've got K.Stills starting at WR2, while benching R.Wayne...
Sticking with K.Allen

Revis and Flowers saved my ace, went up against Allen and Lafell up 5!!!!! F' in miracle! No stat corrections please. Revis is worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roto mentions "another tough matchup vs Bronocs CB Chris Harris" next week but is that true? Denver is average vs the pass and Allen had 9 for 73 and a score in their first matchup this year. And Sammy Watkins had a good game vs the Bronocs yesterday.

Roto mentions "another tough matchup vs Bronocs CB Chris Harris" next week but is that true? Denver is average vs the pass and Allen had 9 for 73 and a score in their first matchup this year. And Sammy Watkins had a good game vs the Bronocs yesterday.
It's not a gimme but it's a considerably easier match-up. I would expect him to reach a stat line similar to their first match (hoping for a few more yards).

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen (ankle) left the stadium in a walking boot Sunday evening and will undergo an MRI on Monday.

Allen was forced from the Week 15 game against the Broncos in the third quarter. He tried to return a couple times before he was eventually whisked away to the locker room on a cart. The Chargers offered no updates after the loss. We'll provide an update when results of the MRI are revealed this afternoon.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Dec 15 - 10:41 AM

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen (ankle) left the stadium in a walking boot Sunday evening and will undergo an MRI on Monday.

Allen was forced from the Week 15 game against the Broncos in the third quarter. He tried to return a couple times before he was eventually whisked away to the locker room on a cart. The Chargers offered no updates after the loss. We'll provide an update when results of the MRI are revealed this afternoon.

Dec 15 - 10:41 AM
Upshot- there really wasnt any way to tell he wasnt on the field in the second half compared to the first half.

He'll probably be a decent value pick next year. I said it right from the beginning that there's no way he should be taken in the 2nd and 3rd round like he was. If he goes in the 6th or so next year he could help some teams out.

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Keenan Allen says he's taking things "week by week" with his broken right collarbone.

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, Allen is "not considered a candidate for injured reserve." He has yet to undergo surgery, and "no such procedure is currently planned." It's interesting Allen and the Chargers are apparently so optimistic about an injury that typically sidelines players for the better part of two months, but we strongly suspect he's played his final snap of the 2014-15 campaign. Allen should be formally ruled out for Saturday's game against the 49ers some time in the next 48 hours. With Allen out, Seyi Ajirotutu will serve as the Bolts' No. 3 receiver behind Malcom Floyd and Eddie Royal.

Dec 16 - 7:13 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chargers reporter Eric Williams expects Keenan Allen to see more time at slot receiver in 2015.
With Eddie Royal out of the picture after signing with the Bears, the Chargers have a hole at slot receiver. Allen dominated with over 700 combined yards after-the-catch his first two seasons. Philip Rivers got him the ball quickly, allowing Allen to get up field and break tackles using his short-area quickness. The Chargers also have Stevie Johnson capable of playing the slot, but Allen is a serious bounce-back candidate and threat for 90-plus catches in his third year.

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 8 - 10:19 AM

Really liking Allen as a bounce back candidate, this news just affirms that. Good buy-low if an owner is jumping ship.

Stevie Johnson was dominant in the slot last season. I am expecting he will get more slot snaps than Allen.

I like Stevie there better. Kind of what he was built for.

Overall, I think they had it right whoever it was that had that post saying Allen may have already peaked. He just doesn't strike me as a game-changing FF player. Don't get me wrong: he can be Reggie Wayne or Boldin or one of these guys that is a solid, solid guy with some top 5-7 years, but I don't think he's going to play up to his perceived value in dynasty ff.

Overall, I think they had it right whoever it was that had that post saying Allen may have already peaked. He just doesn't strike me as a game-changing FF player. Don't get me wrong: he can be Reggie Wayne or Boldin or one of these guys that is a solid, solid guy with some top 5-7 years, but I don't think he's going to play up to his perceived value in dynasty ff.
Not sure if you meant that he can get into the top 5-7 or that he will have 5 to 7 years of solid production. If you meant the former, that is already well ahead of his perceived dynasty value (which isn't nearly as high as it was this time last year).

Not sure if you meant that he can get into the top 5-7 or that he will have 5 to 7 years of solid production. If you meant the former, that is already well ahead of his perceived dynasty value (which isn't nearly as high as it was this time last year).
Yeah, I did mean the former and, admittedly, I am probably out of touch a bit because I'm not an owner or looking to buy. I just seem to remember towards the end of the rookie season, people talking him up very highly but clearly, a year has happened since then so I'm probably out on a limb. I think he is a solid WR2 (but seem to think of people talking about him as higher than that in dynasty ppr).

Shutout said:
zamboni said:
Shutout said:

Yeah, I did mean the former and, admittedly, I am probably out of touch a bit because I'm not an owner or looking to buy. I just seem to remember towards the end of the rookie season, people talking him up very highly but clearly, a year has happened since then so I'm probably out on a limb. I think he is a solid WR2 (but seem to think of people talking about him as higher than that in dynasty ppr).
Recently acquired him for Jordan Cameron and the 1.10. I will be happy with 70/1000/7.

ol blues said:
Just Win Baby said:
Stevie Johnson was dominant in the slot last season. I am expecting he will get more slot snaps than Allen.
35/435/3 while splitting time in the slot with Boldin and Crabtree last season. Stevie can run routes from the slot. So can Allen.
I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with what I posted.

Per PFF, only 15% of Allen's routes were run from the slot last season, and he averaged 1.39 yards per route run, which was tied for #72 among WRs. Allen had 9/103/2 on 12 targets on those 74 routes. Allen was targeted on 16.2% of his slot routes and 23.8% of his non-slot routes. Sounds like he may have been better at getting open outside.

Meanwhile, Stevie had 17/207/1 on 18 targets (94% CR) on 69 routes (3.0 YPRR, tied for #13 among WRs) from the slot. He was targeted on 26.1% of his slot routes and 23% of his non-slot routes.

I'm sure both of them will take snaps in the slot and outside. My original post on this was in response to Rotoworld saying Allen is a bounceback candidate and seemingly linking that to an opening in the slot due to Royal's departure. I agree Allen is a bounceback candidate, but not because he is likely to get a lot more snaps in the slot.

:shrug:

I agree Allen is a bounceback candidate, but not because he is likely to get a lot more snaps in the slot.
Royal played almost exclusively from the slot while Johnson will play from both in the slot and outside as you say, so I would guess Allen gets more snaps from the slot. I loved the Johnson signing and think he's a big upgrade to Royal in every way and the fact Johnson can be productive both inside and out is just part of that. Hopefully Rivers can use both Allen and Johnson in motion often and help expose the coverage being played more often than last year. Rivers is one of the smartest QB's in the league at diagnosing defenses pre-snap.

I think Allen is a bounce-back candidate but it has more to do with the likelihood of a 35yo Gates AND a 34yo Floyd playing 32/32 games again as they did last season with no drop-off.

If Mariotta is his QB next season instead of Rivers how would his stock be viewed? How would you view Allen's long term dynasty stock if you felt he only had one more year with Rivers?

I don't own Allen, not really interested in trading for him. But this is what I'd be thinking about if I owned him right now. If Rivers does return in 2015 and Allen gets off to a nice start I'd really ponder how I feel about the second question I raised above and if I did not like my answer I'd sale quickly.

No matter what happens, he will be a decent value in redraft. He is a talented player that should have opportunity. Certainly worth the smaller risk he will involve this year.

Rivers stayed, Eddie Royal left, they didn't draft any WRs, and they did draft a good RB that should make the run game more dangerous. Good news for Keenan Allen, no?

It's too early to get accurate ADP stats, but one site has Allen at Round 6 which would be excellent value. I think his ADP will be higher than that in August.

If you acquire him for RB2 value then I don't know how you could be disappointed, since that seems like his floor. He has low-RB1 upside, and plenty of owners hate him at this point, so it seems like a great time to buy. He's not the sexy pickup he was a year ago but I think he'll offer consistent long-term production.

If you acquire him for RB2 value then I don't know how you could be disappointed, since that seems like his floor. He has low-RB1 upside, and plenty of owners hate him at this point, so it seems like a great time to buy. He's not the sexy pickup he was a year ago but I think he'll offer consistent long-term production.
I agree with this completely. I would like to move him for an RB2 with upside type of back, but am getting no takers. This is the time to buy or hold, not sell.

with all the great, dynamic young wr's in the game now I just don't find any desire to own him. I had him as a rookie and sold afterward as I thought it was a perfect storm type season. I just don't see elite upside like I can for so many other wr's because his talent isn't that great.

Here is the problem. Fantasy owners are turning their noses up at guys like Keenan Allen because they expect everyone on their roster to perform like OBJ. The truth is, there is only a handful of players who offer elite production. The rest fall in the middle. I considered my receivers to be above average (Calvin Johnson, DT, Alshon, Watkins, Josh Gordon). But last year, I struggled with injuries to nearly all of my receivers at some point in the season. I made a move for Allen and landed him for Jordan Cameron and 1.10. I am not expecting him to be Megatron but having a guy like him for depth will help me sleep at night. I added Kevin White at 1.04 and now I can just sit back and relax until Josh Gordon gets his act together (could be waiting a while). The point is, DEPTH is the key to fantasy success. Studs get hurt and having a guy like Allen ready to fill in is going to be wonderful this year. He is my 22 year old insurance policy. Don't turn your nose up at a guy just because he doesn't offer top 5 value. News flash, only 5 guys actually do (OUT OF A TON OF RECEIVERS). Keenan Allen is a productive receiver who is going to receive the lion's share of targets on his team with a solid quarterback and new running back. Gates is slowing down and they didn't bring anyone else in to compete. I will take that any day for my WR2-WR3 (in my case WR 4). Fantasy owners have become so damn spoiled these days.

Users who are viewing this thread