What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (1 Viewer)

Just Win Baby said:
Fantasysports1 said:
Steed said:
Stevie Johnson about to take his lunch. And going rounds later
No way, Keenan is the #1 in that offense, Stevie will be good value but Keenan is the man in that offense. No question.
It depends. If Allen surpasses his 2013 play, he should be the clear #1, but if he plays more like last season, he won't be. A lot of this is in Allen's hands -- the opportunity is there if he wants it and has worked hard enough to take advantage of it.

However, a lot of people are seriously underestimating Johnson. He is in his prime and has never played with a QB or group of complementary targets close to as good as he will play with this season. He could easily have a career best season this year.
Went to chargers training camp last week and was really impressed with Allen. I'm no scout or anything, but basically Rivers looked his way all the time, and connected with him every time. Keenan caught everything and just looked like 'the man' on the offense there in general. I see a fairly big season. Obviously somewhere between 2013 and 2014
See this is what research does

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen is down to 206 pounds after playing last season at 212.

Allen's 2013 Combine weigh-in was 6-foot-2, 206, so he's back at that weight. In the article linked below, Allen all but confirmed rumors of a lagging work ethic contributed to his surprisingly-slow 2014 campaign. Allen changed his diet this offseason, cut weight, and has drawn praise from the coaching staff for his improved commitment level. This season, the Chargers plan to give Allen more slot snaps, in addition to his outside X receiver duties. We like Allen's chances of getting into the 85-catch range in his third NFL season.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Aug 6 - 11:26 PM
85 catches isn't good if his ypc and td rate is as bad as it was last year. He caught 77 balls last year so 85 isn't much of an improvement. Even if is ypc and td rate jumps 20% that only puts him at like 5 TDs and 1000 yards. So, its going to take a lot more than 8 extra catches to make him worth his adp.

Rotoworld:

Allen's 2013 Combine weigh-in was 6-foot-2, 206, so he's back at that weight. In the article linked below, Allen all but confirmed rumors of a lagging work ethic contributed to his surprisingly-slow 2014 campaign. Allen changed his diet this offseason, cut weight, and has drawn praise from the coaching staff for his improved commitment level. This season, the Chargers plan to give Allen more slot snaps, in addition to his outside X receiver duties. We like Allen's chances of getting into the 85-catch range in his third NFL season.

85 catches isn't good if his ypc and td rate is as bad as it was last year. He caught 77 balls last year so 85 isn't much of an improvement. Even if is ypc and td rate jumps 20% that only puts him at like 5 TDs and 1000 yards. So, its going to take a lot more than 8 extra catches to make him worth his adp.
20% is a random number, but you should consider him if the other safer WR 2 are taken. That is it.

Rotoworld:

20% is a random number, but you should consider him if the other safer WR 2 are taken. That is it.
It is random. I was just pointing out that even if gets 85 catches (also a random number) and gets a bump in efficiency, it doesn't automatically make him much more than a low end WR2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Was curious about that statement. Went back and looked at last year and all the WRs who had 85 catches +/-3. They were Dez, Jeffery, Andre, Maclin, Landry, Boldin and Hilton. I think it's safe to say that Allen's 2015 QB and offense in general will be much better than Andre's 2014 (or Boldin's 2014, or even Landry's 2014). Landry was also a rookie, and Andre Johnson was banged up for nearly the entire season. I'm not saying I expect him to do what Dez or Jeffery or Maclin or Hilton did last year, but I don't see a top 20 season as being out of the question at all (all 4 of those guys were top 13 in my league last year).

*** 85-1050-6 = 226 PPR points = WR15-WR17 last year

*** 226 PPR points / 16 games = 14.1 ppg = WR19-WR20 last year

I would say this is a good benchmark for his base case: WR15-WR20. Fairly high floor around WR25, ceiling - around WR8-WR10.

I would say this is a good benchmark for his base case: WR15-WR20. Fairly high floor around WR25, ceiling - around WR8-WR10.
I was looking at standard. 1050 and 6 was 21st total and 27th per game. I guess his upside would 85 catches and his efficiency is at 2013 levels. In that case, he would post a massive year at 85/1250/9.5 TDs which makes him a top 10 WR. The question is who is the real Keenan Allen? The guy that averages 10 yards a catch or the guy that averages 14?

I was looking at standard. 1050 and 6 was 21st total and 27th per game. I guess his upside would 85 catches and his efficiency is at 2013 levels. In that case, he would post a massive year at 85/1250/9.5 TDs which makes him a top 10 WR. The question is who is the real Keenan Allen? The guy that averages 10 yards a catch or the guy that averages 14?
The point is draft him after the strong WR 2 guys have been taken. He is a guy to look at in the 4th if all the better rated WRs are taken or perhaps a guy if he falls to the fifth as your WR 3 or Flex.

San Diego Chargers WR Keenan Allen thinks he has developed a better chemistry with QB Philip Rivers this offseason. "You can look at the coverage, and you kind of know what Phil likes to throw in the play call we have and the coverage they're giving us," Allen said. "Just knowing that helps a lot."
Source: San Diego Union Tribune

Aug. 18, 2015 - 5:30 p.m.

Personally, I think he is being undervalued.
He should leapfrog Kelvin Benjamin because of the injury, but next up on my ADP list is Emmanuel Sanders, so I'm not comfortable moving him up any further.

I'm still not sold on Allen as a guy who can produce when the defenses concentrate on him. We talk a lot here about guys who put together a great half-season, and we debate about whether or not they can sustain that level the next season. Well, Allen already went through that "next season" and he struggled when defenses had him figured out. So despite all the camp talk, I'm probably passing unless he falls a round or two in my draft.

leftcoastguy7 said:
Is the 3rd year WR theory still a thing?

I think the guy has a big year and easily outpaces his ADP of WR20.
No. The 3rd year thing was more about opportunity. WRs frequently just didn't get playing time as rookies ten years ago. It was rare to see a rookie get over 100 targets in a season. Now it is pretty commonplace. That being said, this could be a good year for him. With Gates being old/suspended, there are a lot of TDs looking for a home in this offense. Will it be Green, Allen, Floyd, or Stevie who benefits the most?

He's getting drafted near the top of tier three when he should be right in the middle of it. I like him, but he's not even close to my favorite guy in that tier so I guess I won't own him.

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Philip Rivers believes Keenan Allen is in the midst of his "best camp."

This is Rivers' third camp with his No. 1 receiver. "I think that's not even close, just how consistent he's been," were Rivers' comments on comparing Allen's 2015 camp to his first two. All signs continue to point toward Allen bouncing back from his sluggish sophomore campaign. He's a WR2.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Aug 20 - 3:15 PM

No way, Keenan is the #1 in that offense, Stevie will be good value but Keenan is the man in that offense. No question.
It depends. If Allen surpasses his 2013 play, he should be the clear #1, but if he plays more like last season, he won't be. A lot of this is in Allen's hands -- the opportunity is there if he wants it and has worked hard enough to take advantage of it.

However, a lot of people are seriously underestimating Johnson. He is in his prime and has never played with a QB or group of complementary targets close to as good as he will play with this season. He could easily have a career best season this year.
Agree with this slant -- Allen is the WR1, but I think there is plenty of upside taking Johnson this year in this particular offense, and can see him revert to his old Buffalo hey-days. Solid route-runner, can play out of all receiver spots on the field competently, and will do well as a reliable counterpart on shorter inside/outside routes to Keenan Allen's ability to stretch the field a little more.

End of day, while I would look for Allen as a good WR2/3 on my team, I think Stevie has more value based on ADP than Allen.

Agree with this slant -- Allen is the WR1, but I think there is plenty of upside taking Johnson this year in this particular offense, and can see him revert to his old Buffalo hey-days. Solid route-runner, can play out of all receiver spots on the field competently, and will do well as a reliable counterpart on shorter inside/outside routes to Keenan Allen's ability to stretch the field a little more.

End of day, while I would look for Allen as a good WR2/3 on my team, I think Stevie has more value based on ADP than Allen.
It is going to be tough to get Keenan as your WR 3 because he generally isn't available in the 5th. With more positive news like this from Rivers, he probably goes right after that upper WR 2 group of Matthews, Sanders, maybe Andre Johnson.

Stevie could be a big difference maker if you can get him as your WR 4.

Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Camp MVP

Keenan Allen edged Melvin Ingram for the prestigious U-T award that signaled Ladarius Green's breakout season in 2013 and pointed to Malcom Floyd's strong comeback season last year.

"He's had his best camp," Philip Rivers said Thursday of Allen. "That's not even close."

Allen lacks great speed but played fast, created angles and caught everything. Proof that the receiver was on point, Rivers was "less feisty" with him than in other camps, Allen said. He's a few pounds lighter than his 2014 playing weight.

"He came to get better every single day," Rivers said. "He ran, he ran, he ran, he ran."
Source: San Diego Union Tribune

By: Tom Krasovic 11:41 a.m. Aug. 20, 2015

Im kind of shocked his ADP is still this high after last year. FBGs consensus ADP has him as WR18. It wouldnt even cross my mind to take Allen over any of the WRs going before him, and I wouldnt start thinking of taking him until WR30+. I think his rookie year is more like his ceiling, and he benefitted from all the injuries to their other receiving options as well.

Stevie at his price point has me intrigued.

Im kind of shocked his ADP is still this high after last year. FBGs consensus ADP has him as WR18. It wouldnt even cross my mind to take Allen over any of the WRs going before him, and I wouldnt start thinking of taking him until WR30+. I think his rookie year is more like his ceiling, and he benefitted from all the injuries to their other receiving options as well.

WR 30, now come on.

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.
WR29-33: Mike Wallace, Allen Robinson, Nelson Agholor, Roddy White, Larry Fitz

Im taking 4 of those 5 over Keenan

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.

Maybe Larry Fitz 4 years ago.

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.

Not that you would know if he is or is not the 1 of the 5 I wouldnt take over Keenan, but Fitz's stats when Palmer has been in at QB are much better than the other chumps they've had in there.

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.

Not that you would know if he is or is not the 1 of the 5 I wouldnt take over Keenan, but Fitz's stats when Palmer has been in at QB are much better than the other chumps they've had in there.
It doesn't make sense to take Allen Robinson or Agholor over Keenan when you can get both in the 6th, maybe late 5th if you want to reach. You can't compare Allen to those because he goes 1-2 rounds earlier.

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.

It doesn't make sense to take Allen Robinson or Agholor over Keenan when you can get both in the 6th, maybe late 5th if you want to reach. You can't compare Allen to those because he goes 1-2 rounds earlier.
I didnt say Id take them over Keenan Allen at his ADP, I said that I wouldnt consider Allen until all of their ADP's. However in reality, Im saying I will likely just avoid Allen all together. With Gates out, Floyd old, and the uncertainty of what Stevie's impact will be I guess Allen's ADP is a little juiced for those reasons, but IMO its way too high.

Let me preface this by saying I am not here to change anyone's mind on Keenan Allen. But the way I see it, I don't believe his rookie season was his ceiling. Not by a longshot. Last season was the perfect storm of what not to do in the NFL. He was complacent and didn't understand what it took to excel at the next level. If you believe he is still stuck in that mode, then I understand your thinking. I, however, dont think we are seeing the same Keenan Allen in 2015. He has two years experience. One as a promising rookie, the other as an injured, half assed pass catcher. The guy was a five star recruit so he has the physical attributes. The guy has impressed the socks off of everyone this offseason including the guy who is going to be feeding him the rock. Everything is in place for a monster season. The signs are there. He is ready to become what we thought he was set to become at the beginning of last season. Only, he knows what is in store and has prepared accordingly. If you believe in him, you know he is being vastly undervalued. If you dont believe in him, you are at the used lot buying a Stevie Johnson for a fraction of the price with no warranty. It seems the birth of his daughter really forced him to grow up and appreciate the opportunity he has in front of him. I'll take it any way I can get it. He is my flex WR.

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.

I'm with you in the "over-valued" camp. For what it's worth, in my Keep 3 league my last keeper spot came down to Keenan Allen or Allen Robinson for the same price. I chose Robinson.

Fantasysports1 said:
Kenny Powers said:

WR 30, now come on.

wow...

Allen vs. Stevie is a fair question when asked in the context of ADP but outright I think it's silly. Stevie is essentially a poor man's Allen at this point in his career. As long as Allen doesn't completely #### the bed mentally he'll be the top dog.

I'm also not infatuated with the other WRs you typically see going around Allen (Watkins, Tate, Edelman, Cooper). I actually like Allen the most in this group (3rd/4th round).

Even if his rookie season was his ceiling, that was good for WR17. As your WR2, I don't know who is really safer. Who are the guys going around him and before him that are the number 1 receiver on the their teams, have as good of a QB, and have fewer question marks? I think that Maclin is the only guy who fits that bill.

Julian Edelman

Andre Johnson

DeSean Jackson

Golden Tate

Brandon Marshall

Jeremy Maclin

Sammy Watkins

Davante Adams

Vincent Jackson

Amari Cooper

Jarvis Landry

Even if his rookie season was his ceiling, that was good for WR17. As your WR2, I don't know who is really safer. Who are the guys going around him and before him that are the number 1 receiver on the their teams, have as good of a QB, and have fewer question marks? I think that Maclin is the only guy who fits that bill.

Julian Edelman

Andre Johnson

DeSean Jackson

Golden Tate

Brandon Marshall

Jeremy Maclin

Sammy Watkins

Davante Adams

Vincent Jackson

Amari Cooper

Jarvis Landry
IMO you put too many qualifiers into your statement. :shrug:

For example, Carr isn't as good a QB as Rivers, but I think Cooper is better than Allen for both redraft and dynasty. I think most would also prefer Watkins, and many would also prefer Adams. Heck, some would prefer Stevie Johnson.

All the foolish talk about Keenan reaching his ceiling and Stevie being the better option was WISHFUL thinking. Granted, Stevie will be serviceable, but he is NOT Keenan Allen! Twelve receptions and counting!!!

All the foolish talk about Keenan reaching his ceiling and Stevie being the better option was WISHFUL thinking. Granted, Stevie will be serviceable, but he is NOT Keenan Allen! Twelve receptions and counting!!!
I expect a rebound and he has good chance of breaking 80 catches, but I'm not sold on his big-play potential. A lot of things went right for him his rookie year but I don't expect him to top those numbers (14.7 YPR and 8 TD's).

He is what he is - a possession receiver with decent size (6-2) with a good QB. Basically he's Houshmandzadeh to me.
Hasn't proven me wrong today - even with the 15 catches today.

I expect a rebound and he has good chance of breaking 80 catches, but I'm not sold on his big-play potential. A lot of things went right for him his rookie year but I don't expect him to top those numbers (14.7 YPR and 8 TD's).

He is what he is - a possession receiver with decent size (6-2) with a good QB. Basically he's Houshmandzadeh to me.
Hasn't proven me wrong today - even with the 15 catches today.
This isnt about winning people over for me. Its about delivering. No one thought he would be peppered with targets the way he was and he responded. For me, he was a flex option. On a day that saw Calvin, Alshon, and DT put up average games for me, I will take Keenan's 15 receptions any day. More please!!!

Went to chargers training camp last week and was really impressed with Allen. I'm no scout or anything, but basically Rivers looked his way all the time, and connected with him every time. Keenan caught everything and just looked like 'the man' on the offense there in general. I see a fairly big season. Obviously somewhere between 2013 and 2014
Now accepting free flights to training camps for next year.

WR 30, now come on.

I have Robinson and Keenan on my team. Would like to have had double Keenan today

Looking pretty good in the first half. Rather consistent start to the season.

Users who are viewing this thread