What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Cook - What to expect? (3 Viewers)

Cook played 52% of GB's offensive snaps week 1, compared to 39% for Richard Rodgers.

I'm still hanging on to Cook in the league where I drafted him (which has a format where it makes sense to roster a backup TE), but if that number doesn't increase soon then I'll probably move on.
Well it can't get any less.  Law of averages says he'll catch a couple here and there.  Save yourself the pain and drop this loser. 

If Cook has a bad game this week,almost everyone will be dumping him.Then he blows up in week 3,and everyone rushes to the waiver to get him again...the he sucks for 2-3 more weeks,gets dumped again,has another big game,get picked back up and so on...I think He'll be a hit or miss all year and a waste of a bench spot for a more productive TE on a weekly basis. Great athlete,just not a good football player! I'm not wasting my time on Cooks ever again. I've gotten suckered in too many times,thinking this might be the year. No Thanks!
Good man. :thumbup:

Making a reception but then running backwards on 3rd down so that you only gain 9 yards instead of the 10 yards you needed and had before you ran backwards is something I would define as not good.

Great athlete, not good at football.
Yeah that was terrible.  

Making a reception but then running backwards on 3rd down so that you only gain 9 yards instead of the 10 yards you needed and had before you ran backwards is something I would define as not good.

Great athlete, not good at football.
If I had ten seconds to explain Jared Cook to someone, I show then this video.

Cook played 52% of GB's offensive snaps week 1, compared to 39% for Richard Rodgers.

I'm still hanging on to Cook in the league where I drafted him (which has a format where it makes sense to roster a backup TE), but if that number doesn't increase soon then I'll probably move on.
Week 2: Cook played 65% of the snaps and R Rodgers played 51%. 6 targets, which he turned into 4/31/0, on a day when the offense was struggling. Still seems worth holding on to in the league where I own him.

Dude lol 
He doubled your reasonable prediction for this game. Glad I didn't say more bad stuff about him. 

From what I saw they were matching Cook on Waynes on a couple of his receptions. He lines up out wide and then runs an inside breaking route away from Waynes zone. That was the main thing that seemed to be working for them was to try to pick on Waynes with different personnel.

Greenway didn't play much otherwise they could have tried to pick on him.

At least Cook isn't alone in disappointing out of the TE position.  Nearly all of them have been disappointments at least to some extent this season.  Something called a Jack Doyle has outscored every TE drafted in the first 10 rounds other than Greg Olsen.  Only two TEs have broken 20 points so far in non-ppr.

Rodgers and the offense struggling to find an identity. Gonna hold in my deep bench league cuz I'm an optimistic homer. That play referenced above where he had the first down and then lost it made me :lol:  just knowing Flap is out there :lol:  about it.

I was laughing every time the Packers went to Cook. I should send them a thank you note for signing him. Just what they needed was another inconsistent skill player.

(8 receptions week 16 for that I suppose :ph34r: )

I'm guessing the super-duper haters have been burned by both Cook and Jermichael Finley.

Let it go, folks. The majority of us is looking for a middling potentially startable TE, not YOTTO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jared Cook caught 7-of-12 targets for 78 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss to the Falcons.
Playing on a one-year, $2.75 million contract, 29-year-old Cook had something resembling a breakout, catching 30 passes for 377 yards in 10 games. His numbers would have been much better had he not missed a whopping six games with a high-ankle sprain. Praised as an essential element of the Pack’s offense by Aaron Rodgers, Cook consistently made plays up the seam. Headed back to free agency, Cook, of course, has never been consistent, and turns 30 in April. The Pack will undoubtedly try to re-sign him, but Cook’s ever-rumored "upside" could entice a team to overpay on the open market.

Jan 22 - 6:37 PM

Aaron Rodgers said impending free agent Jared Cook "needs to be near the top of the priority list" for the Packers this offseason.
Cook played on a one-year, $2.75 million deal this past season and called it the most fun he's had in his eight-year career. Both sides will likely be open to working something out. Cook averaged 12.6 yards per catch and scored three touchdowns after coming on following a mid-season high-ankle sprain.

Source: ESPN.com

Yep I venture he cost himself a lot of $$. Though if Dion Sims is pulling 6M per year who knows..
Bears liking that 1.01 next year.

Huge mistake by Cook with this class of rookie TEs. Not sure who picks him up, not a lot of empty jobs after 3 or 4 rookies come in and take spots.

Cook had a nice thing going in Green Bay...not sure what he and his agent are thinking...especially since he has already signed one solid free agent and made some good money...

:lmao:  They offered Cook more than Bennett's contract. They got a better player for less and this moron now sees his value crater.

I think it's dumb on both sides.  Cook obviously for holding out for a few more pennies and ending up missing out on a great situation.

On Green Bay's end I think GM's sometimes underestimate the value of players that your franchise billion dollar QB is comfortable with.  Chemistry between a QB and a receiver can make as big a difference as raw talent if not more.  Danny Amendola is a better talent than Julian Edelman but there's a reason Brady throws to Edelman a lot more.

Rodgers was pretty vocal about having developed a good rapport with Cook down the stretch.  Getting a slightly better player may get you significantly worse results on the field if he doesn't end up on the same page with Rodgers like Cook was at the end.  That play to beat Dallas in the playoffs was all about two guys in sync with each other (and Rodgers ridiculous arm talent of course).

Can we call Warford a bust? TEs take time to develop normally. Would like to see him get more reps, not fewer.

Can we call Warford a bust? TEs take time to develop normally. Would like to see him get more reps, not fewer.
I'm not sure that Walford is a bust but he is not the player that I thought the Raiders were getting.  He looks slow or at least lack quickness off the line.  Obviously, the Cook signing indicates that the Raiders do not think he is their starting TE. 

Usually the star player buying the number of the marginal player, not the other way around. 

Something tells me Cooper will reject this barring an absolutely insane offer. 

DocHolliday said:
I'm not sure that Walford is a bust but he is not the player that I thought the Raiders were getting.  He looks slow or at least lack quickness off the line.  Obviously, the Cook signing indicates that the Raiders do not think he is their starting TE. 
I don't think that's what it means at all.  There is no such thing as too many weapons for a QB like Carr.  If Walford is 1A and Cook is 1B this is a great signing.  $6 for a year or two isn't going to break the bank where or cap is right now.

I think people are sleeping on this guy

he costs you nothing in drafts.

Carr is looking his way in camp right now.  athletic TE and a QB/offense on the uptick.   I smell value.

I was amazed with how well Cook played last night. He converted a critical 4th and long play to keep the Raiders alive. He also made the reception which was initially ruled a TD but after review was ruled a half yard short down by contact (defender maybe had a finger on him when he went down).

He did have one drop in the game that reminded me of what I have seen from him in the past, but overall he was much more consistent and made important plays for the Raiders. I didn't see some of the dumb moves from him either, for example with Green Bay last year he was very close to having a first down but he tried to run around a defender and went backwards on the play costing them yards.

Carr showed some trust in him going his way on critical downs.

So...is Cook finally ‘a thing’?

Looked like he had a nice connection with Carr and he’s always had the physical skill set.  Cooper aside from the one ‘blowup’ continues to struggle with drops and Crabtree feels specialized. 

For whatever reason, he doesn’t catch TD’s - but that seems to be the one blemish that could easily be rectified.

:lmao:  They offered Cook more than Bennett's contract. They got a better player for less and this moron now sees his value crater.

Given the Bennett news (cut by GB) and Cook's play for the Raiders the last few games... :oldunsure:

Edit: Not to call out lod specifically, but a lot of people were bashing Cook and applauding GB for grabbing Bennett for cheaper.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden indicated he has been surprisingly impressed by Jared Cook at OTAs and minicamp.

Cook quietly set a career high with 54 catches last season. "Jared Cook has had a great camp," said Gruden. "I did not know Jared Cook moved like that. I knew he had really good pass receiving skills, but we can line him up at a lot of different places now. He’s been really sharp. We’ve asked him to do a lot." Cook is an undervalued TE2 toward the end of fantasy drafts.

Source: San Jose Mercury News 

Jun 13 - 1:26 P

What am I missing with this guy?

He gets 80 something targets last season. Oakland has no slot guy. 

He finished as a TE1 last year

Somehow Cook was only $8 in the subscriber pool. I was super happy to have him at that price. 

He goes undrafted in my 12 team ppr?

If Jordy is even 1/2 as washed up as we think Cook could be in for a career year. People talking about Kittle so much but Cook can easily outpace him and others I think.

Users who are viewing this thread