What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did we stop remembering 9/11 in here? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I remember the first year all the way to 9-11-2002, then over time you start thinking about it less and less to the point you only think about it when the news brings it to your attention once a year.

I have to say my life changed a lot in how I thought about the World, mostly it filled with a lot of anger and hate for the Middle East for several years, mission accomplished by the terrorists.

In more recent years I feel mostly all of it was a major waste. Waste of time, energy, and a lot of lives. I would say more today than back then, I feel more reserved about any kind of military involvement. I wish more than anything for our government to lead the War on Peace, meaning more acceptance of differences we are gonna have with people who grew up in other regions of the World and are reflections of their environments.

Not everyone was lucky enough to be born in the United States. I am simply grateful to our men and women in uniform, my heart always is heavy when I think about the men and women who lost their lives just living their lives like any other day. I used to mourn or feel bad on 9-11, now I celebrate the lives of the men and women who lost theirs and instead of mourning their souls, I choose to harness that energy for better things.

I was kind of shocked to not see a thread on page 1. I judge not and if everyone wants to let this page fall into the black hole of the FFA that's fine but I was curious why others are not posting much about it.

The possible involvement in Syria had me thinking a little more about 9/11 this year. I remember us all huddled in the FFA that day.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just thinking the same thing, except as a nation. Of course I don't read papers or watch news so maybe that's why I am not feeling it. Also work from home so no office chatter. Usually you can depend on a colleague to make some inane depressing comment.

Doesn't feel like an anniversary of anything. Is that a good or bad thing?

One of our corporate offices just moved to NY so I think about 9/11 when I talk to those working there.

I also think about it anytime a movie, T.V. show, etc. shows downtown.. I think back on 9/11 and remember the view after the buildings fell and my feelings when I heard about them falling while at work that fateful day :(

I'm feeling a little more "bummed" about this more than most other years. I can't explain why. I've been fascinated by the whole ordeal, (please don't take that the wrong way), the building of One World Trade Center, The Reflection Pool Memorial, the 9/11 Memorial coming together, etc.

I think it hit me with all the new documentaries everyone has been showing this week. It's very sobering.

Lost it watching "The Falling Man" last night on some channel. I'd recommend for everyone. I will look up the network.

ETA: Damn, deleted it from the DVR, but it was either History, Discovery or Destination America. Can't find it on the search for shows either.

I was flying on a plane yesterday and it did not even cross my mind that tomorrow was 9/11. Just cursing the shoe-bomber for making me take off me shoes to get through security.

Was just thinking the same thing, except as a nation. Of course I don't read papers or watch news so maybe that's why I am not feeling it. Also work from home so no office chatter. Usually you can depend on a colleague to make some inane depressing comment.

Doesn't feel like an anniversary of anything. Is that a good or bad thing?
Time heals all wounds.

As a nation we are healing. As individuals some more than others.

I have to admit I didn't realize it was the anniversary until today. If you look at Pearl Harbor we have gotten to where we only make a big deal on big anniversary dates. That's where we are headed with this IMO. It has been 13 years. I would think most teens have little to no visceral connection to 911 and soon they will be adults. It all fades at some point and that is both good and bad I guess.

It seems impossibly long ago although I remember pretty much every minute of that day, as I'm sure all of you do.

I don't think it's that we "forget" but that we move on. Nothing has changed. Nothing is different (better?). Islamic relations haven't changed. Our policies haven't changed. That's why any talk of "the war on terror" just sounds like rhetoric instead of a real mission. It was a terrible terrible day. And now it's on the calendar and we move on.

I have to admit I didn't realize it was the anniversary until today. If you look at Pearl Harbor we have gotten to where we only make a big deal on big anniversary dates. That's where we are headed with this IMO. It has been 13 years. I would think most teens have little to no visceral connection to 911 and soon they will be adults. It all fades at some point and that is both good and bad I guess.
:confused:

I have to admit I didn't realize it was the anniversary until today. If you look at Pearl Harbor we have gotten to where we only make a big deal on big anniversary dates. That's where we are headed with this IMO. It has been 13 12 years. I would think most teens have little to no visceral connection to 911 and soon they will be adults. It all fades at some point and that is both good and bad I guess.
doesn't matter, just lettin' you know.

:confused:
Oops. That's what happens when you try to work when you are supposed to be posting. 12 years of course.

It seems impossibly long ago although I remember pretty much every minute of that day, as I'm sure all of you do.

I don't think it's that we "forget" but that we move on. Nothing has changed. Nothing is different (better?). Islamic relations haven't changed. Our policies haven't changed. That's why any talk of "the war on terror" just sounds like rhetoric instead of a real mission. It was a terrible terrible day. And now it's on the calendar and we move on.
Agree, we've moved on and that's good.

I have to admit I didn't realize it was the anniversary until today. If you look at Pearl Harbor we have gotten to where we only make a big deal on big anniversary dates. That's where we are headed with this IMO. It has been 13 12 years. I would think most teens have little to no visceral connection to 911 and soon they will be adults. It all fades at some point and that is both good and bad I guess.
doesn't matter, just lettin' you know.
Yeah work was interfering with my posting. Or perhaps it's our newest employee distracting me. 23, blond, blue eyes, well built and in a habit of wearing low cuts tops/short skirts. Real girl 7.5 or 8 easy.

I should add no pics. She is our CFO's daughter and I am not even going to try it.

12 years is a long time. I, personally, will never forget. And when I hear people say "Time heals all wounds", I think back to the 90 year old men talking about losing their buddies while fighting in their teens during WWII and watch them break down in tears. Time does not heal all wounds. I still tear up and, sometimes, actually have a good cry when I watch the footage of that day. It's perfectly burned into my memory.

But, again, 12 years is a long time. Kids who are in their late teens and younger have no actual memory of 9/11. It's just a horrible story to them. And even kids in their mid 20's probably didn't have it hit them as hard as people who were older, had visited those towers and could relate to working in those towers that morning.

I don't think people are forgetting as much as trying to live a normal life with those emotional scars we all incurred that day.

I think it hit me with all the new documentaries everyone has been showing this week. It's very sobering.

Lost it watching "The Falling Man" last night on some channel. I'd recommend for everyone. I will look up the network.

ETA: Damn, deleted it from the DVR, but it was either History, Discovery or Destination America. Can't find it on the search for shows either.
It can be found on Youtube.

Just try not getting sucked into the Youtube viewing black hole....your day will disappear before you know it.

Part of me was ok with no thread today. It's very much still painful. Was listening to the radio taking my son to school and they said a prayer for the victims (christian radio station) and then I flipped it to Mike and Mike and they talked about it just ever so briefly. Brought back way way too many bad memories that I just choose not to cry over at the moment.

I still get choked up driving through my old neighborhoods in North Jersey and seeing that skyline on the other side of the water when I catch a glimpse of it. Sad. I actually have a client who lost her husband that day. She has remarried to a great guy who seems to treat her about as well as any husband could treat any wife. She has been incapable of functioning on this day every year and I'm willing to bet she is home alone right now crying tears that I could never and never want to understand.

Godspeed to the victims as always. And to our heros in uniform who gave so much and their families, still, thank you.

I've tried to not let it miss the current generation. My kids (now 15 and 17) barely remember the events of 9/11. Mostly just the stuff in the years after.

On our trip to DC and NY this spring, I made sure to point out the things from that day. Things like ground zero and the pentagon were obvious. But, as we drove through Pennsylvania we talked about the 3rd plane that went down near Shanksville. My kids didn't know there was a third plane.

We have scavenger hunts on our family vacations. This time, one of the items was to thank a member of the police, fire, or military for their service. I think at their age and seeing things first hand, it actually meant a little more.

In more recent years I feel mostly all of it was a major waste. Waste of time, energy, and a lot of lives. I would say more today than back then, I feel more reserved about any kind of military involvement. I wish more than anything for our government to lead the War on Peace, meaning more acceptance of differences we are gonna have with people who grew up in other regions of the World and are reflections of their environments.
Oh for hells sake.

I was flying on a plane yesterday and it did not even cross my mind that tomorrow was 9/11. Just cursing the shoe-bomber for making me take off me shoes to get through security.
About to take off here. Had a moment of silence at 8:47 (I think that was the time) at the airport, albeit 3 hours late as its west coast.

Living in NY I am reminded about 9/11 almost daily. Stickers on cars commemorating the date and memorializing loved ones, every fire house has a remember 9/11 sign, constant stories about first responders stricken with cancers and too often neglected by the government who seeks to find loopholes not to cover costs.

A lot of lives were lost here, all lives were touched. However I always recognize that as terrible a tragedy as 9/11 was, how one hour meant the difference between losing 3000 and 5-10 times that.

That said, in some ways the terrorists won - we acquiesced freedom and liberty that day and continue to do so in the name of security - or false security. For those who were lost we must be vigilant to ensure we secure the freedom that makes our nation great. Lets not lose that lesson

Oh for hells sake.
;)

It's a very painful day for some.

It doesn't feel as raw. It will always be a sad day.

We have several working from home today. Nobody had to ask why.

I've tried to not let it miss the current generation. My kids (now 15 and 17) barely remember the events of 9/11. Mostly just the stuff in the years after.

On our trip to DC and NY this spring, I made sure to point out the things from that day. Things like ground zero and the pentagon were obvious. But, as we drove through Pennsylvania we talked about the 3rd plane that went down near Shanksville. My kids didn't know there was a third plane.

We have scavenger hunts on our family vacations. This time, one of the items was to thank a member of the police, fire, or military for their service. I think at their age and seeing things first hand, it actually meant a little more.
Imagine their surprise when you tell them about the fourth plane.

The one George Bush shot down?

:lol: I had a hard time typing while thinking about that trip. It shows in my mistakes

I meant the 4th plane.

Just a surreal day filled with panic and horror. I do think about it less though as time goes by, and have barely given the anniversaries much thought the past several years.

On the first anniversary, one of the networks re-aired their coverage of the attacks as they happened. I remember watching it, felt depressed, and realizing that nothing productive came out of me watching.

Kids who were in elementary school 13 years ago are now adults.

Kids who were in elementary school 13 years ago are now adults.
Sure. But I was more going with the kids that wouldn't have much if any memory of it. I would think most kids who were in school have some memory of it.

Will never forget, but hopefully we've stopped with the what were you doing on 9/11 threads.

Wow, you were at work watching coverage on the one ####ty office TV like millions of others? :mindblown:

Will never forget, but hopefully we've stopped with the what were you doing on 9/11 threads.

Wow, you were at work watching coverage on the one ####ty office TV like millions of others? :mindblown:
There is a very human reason for those discussions popping up. It's part of the shared experience that we as social animals crave. Pretty easy not to read the threads if it bothers you so much.

There is a very human reason for those discussions popping up. It's part of the shared experience that we as social animals crave. Pretty easy not to read the threads if it bothers you so much.
:goodposting:

i remember the big yellow thread.. i had just started working at my job... I was just 2 months into my career and was pissed people in the midwest were cancelling appointments over this (i didn't fully "get it")

I know that i was at a pretty selfish point in my life whereby I was a lot more interested in chasing skirts and when the next happy hour was than watching the news.

I watched very little of the coverage.

Looking back I respect everything that happened a lot more now. As much as I hate participating in all the new airline regulations every time I fly, I am thankful that TSA has gone to every extent it can to keep another incident from happening.

I do remember going to a U2 concert a few months later where during one of the songs they had all the names of the people who died on those flights go across the big screen... that was pretty mind-blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread