What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

According NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Doug Martin (knee) is unlikely to play in Thursday night's game against the Falcons.

Martin will test out his knee pregame before the Bucs make his status official. But it's now crystal clear that Bobby Rainey is a borderline RB1 play against a Falcons defense that has already given up 284 yards and five touchdowns to opponent tailbacks. Reports already had the hot Rainey, growing into a coaching staff favorite, in line to start the game. He also started against the Falcons in Week 11 of last year, going for 167 total yards on 32 touches and scoring three touchdowns.

Related: Bobby Rainey

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 18 - 12:11 PM
With all the injuries to my RBs, I'm stuck with starting Ivory or one of Rainey/Martin. My instincts are screaming to start Rainey, but the lingering chance of Martin playing is killing me.
Just wait till 1-2 hours before the game and if he is on the inactive list (which sounds very likely at this point) there is no decision to make,

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin - RB - Buccaneers

CBS' Jason La Canfora confirms there's a "good chance" Doug Martin (knee) is inactive Thursday against the Falcons.

Per La Canfora, even if Martin does dress, there's "not much expectation of him being involved." It's going to be the Bobby Rainey show against a run defense that's allowed 309 yards through its first two games. Rainey can be used as a plug-and-play RB2.

Source: Jason La Canfora on

Twitter Sep 18 - 4:36 PM

So what do we know about this injury?

This seems like such an odd situation. Practices.

Running with the first team during the week. And then out today. Similar to last week.

Did he tweak something? Is he injured?

As a Martin owner you have to love this Rainey performance so far, but something stinks in this Martin situation and I can't put my finger on it.

So what do we know about this injury?

This seems like such an odd situation. Practices.

Running with the first team during the week. And then out today. Similar to last week.

Did he tweak something? Is he injured?

As a Martin owner you have to love this Rainey performance so far, but something stinks in this Martin situation and I can't put my finger on it.
Actually the whole TB situation is starting to look bad, the kind where even good players are not going to succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
For us Martin owners who are hoping to see him come back and get most of the RB carries, Rainey losing another fumble is a beautiful sight.

Rainey's fumble problems have opened the door for Martin to put a stranglehold on the job when he returns. The offense could improve with Glennon now at the helm. He was at least able to get the ball to Vincent Jackson last season and he made Tim Wright a viable fantasy option.

Rainey's fumble problems have opened the door for Martin to put a stranglehold on the job when he returns. The offense could improve with Glennon now at the helm. He was at least able to get the ball to Vincent Jackson last season and he made Tim Wright a viable fantasy option.
Nobody has answered the bigger question of what's going on with Martin. Two weeks now he's gone practice, practice, practice, running with the ones, and then mysteriously out on game day.

There's something going on that needs to be addressed.

Trading him to the Vikings?

Nobody has answered the bigger question of what's going on with Martin. Two weeks now he's gone practice, practice, practice, running with the ones, and then mysteriously out on game day.

It's possible there has been a falling out between Martin and the new regime. They drafted Sims early while desperately needing guard help. Lovie anointed Martin as the "bell cow" before the season, but he's already said several things here that ended up being complete fabrications.

I definitely don't think he was ready to play against the Rams, and then Rainey performed well in Martin's absence. They were likely thinking they could get away with resting Martin for one more game on a short week against a team that hadn't been very good against the run. Clearly a lot of fantasy players thought Rainey would tear up the Falcons.

However, now Rainey has already lost 3 fumbles, and we know how Lovie feels about turnovers. The first fumble Rainey lost was on the last drive against Carolina when TB was moving in for a game winning score. Then his first one against the Falcons really took the wind out of the Bucs' sails. There's no way the trust him going forward if Martin is healthy.

Nobody has answered the bigger question of what's going on with Martin. Two weeks now he's gone practice, practice, practice, running with the ones, and then mysteriously out on game day.There's something going on that needs to be addressed.

It's possible there has been a falling out between Martin and the new regime. They drafted Sims early while desperately needing guard help. Lovie anointed Martin as the "bell cow" before the season, but he's already said several things here that ended up being complete fabrications.

I definitely don't think he was ready to play against the Rams, and then Rainey performed well in Martin's absence. They were likely thinking they could get away with resting Martin for one more game on a short week against a team that hadn't been very good against the run. Clearly a lot of fantasy players thought Rainey would tear up the Falcons.

However, now Rainey has already lost 3 fumbles, and we know how Lovie feels about turnovers. The first fumble Rainey lost was on the last drive against Carolina when TB was moving in for a game winning score. Then his first one against the Falcons really took the wind out of the Bucs' sails. There's no way the trust him going forward if Martin is healthy.
Unfortunately, No one in their right mind would play Martin next week until we see how this thing shakes out. Unless, of course, they have no other option.

That's 4 weeks so far with zero production from a third-ish round pick.

Just looking back at my draft a lot of players you wish you might have taken instead of Martin at that early third spot.

Spiller, L Bell (ouch), Morriss

Hindsight always burns.

It's possible there has been a falling out between Martin and the new regime.
bingo. the guy who raised the possibility of a trade actually makes a lot of sense. if not, well, i dont agree with the rest of your post. nor does it follow what i quoted. the regime does not like martin. they prefer rainey. if martin isnt getting traded then its much more likely that he sat simply bc the staff does not think he is good enough to play. he is clearly healthy enough yet they keep him out. they are clearly firm believers in rainey. he fumbled the game away against the panthers and the staff did not express displeasure and went right back to him. later reports came out that they like him over martin. those reports are not make believe. they are leaks from ppl in the organization to the media.

now is the perfect time to dump martin. i doubt his value is any higher unless he actually does get traded. also, i would not expect him to play for bucs next week. the staff is gonna keep him off the field as long as possible. would not be surprised to see him left inactive the rest of the year or even cut.

Nobody has answered the bigger question of what's going on with Martin. Two weeks now he's gone practice, practice, practice, running with the ones, and then mysteriously out on game day.There's something going on that needs to be addressed.

bingo. the guy who raised the possibility of a trade actually makes a lot of sense. if not, well, i dont agree with the rest of your post. nor does it follow what i quoted. the regime does not like martin. they prefer rainey. if martin isnt getting traded then its much more likely that he sat simply bc the staff does not think he is good enough to play. he is clearly healthy enough yet they keep him out. they are clearly firm believers in rainey. he fumbled the game away against the panthers and the staff did not express displeasure and went right back to him. later reports came out that they like him over martin. those reports are not make believe. they are leaks from ppl in the organization to the media.

now is the perfect time to dump martin. i doubt his value is any higher unless he actually does get traded. also, i would not expect him to play for bucs next week. the staff is gonna keep him off the field as long as possible. would not be surprised to see him left inactive the rest of the year or even cut.
Under this scenario, why do they run him with the ones, as reported, during practice?

not sure if they do actually run him with the ones. also, i dont know what "running with the ones" that entails and what the media observes to report.

not sure if they do actually run him with the ones. also, i dont know what "running with the ones" that entails and what the media observes to report.
I used the term "running with the ones", this week, reporters used the term "ran with the first-team offense".

I don't know either. Does it mean he was the "cog" in the offense during practice, or just got a few reps in with McCown handing it to him a couple times?

I read it last week as, he's practicing with the best players because they want their best players on the field. I obviously interpreted it differently than some, including Lovie Smith.

Come on. He was clearly healthy enough to play? The staff doesn't think he's good enough to play? Bucs going to cut Doug Martin? Let's see some sources on that awesome analysis. BTW I'll have some of what you're smoking.

Rainey is a third down back in this league, coming from a Rainey owner. If not for garbage time last week he would have laid an egg with his fumbling. You look at the stat line and you think it's not bad. Well I watched the game and his ONLY production (other than lost fumbles) was check down receptions in garbage time. He was not impressive. He's fumbled 3 times in 3 games and on half the teams in the NFL he would have been cut by now. I can't believe they let him back in the game Thursday but thankfully they did.

As for Doug Martin I don't think he was healthy enough to play. He's got a knee injury and was on a short week. If you think he didn't play because TB brass thought Rainey was too good I promise you they've changed their mind after Thursday's debacle.

Let's face it. The bucs are terrible. First pick in the draft terrible. VJax and Evans are the victims of terrible OL and QB play. Rainey's only points have come from captain check down so far. Martin is probably their best offensive player. And although he'd be better off traded to anyone right now, the Bucs aren't doing that and they aren't going to sit him in favor of Rainey or James once he's healthy.

Come on. He was clearly healthy enough to play? The staff doesn't think he's good enough to play? Bucs going to cut Doug Martin? Let's see some sources on that awesome analysis. BTW I'll have some of what you're smoking.
well, heres a source via rotoworld:

The Tampa Bay Times says Bobby Rainey will start Thursday's game against the Falcons.
"Not just because of Doug Martin's knee. Coaches really like [Rainey]," said beat writer Rick Stroud.

you think stroud just made it up out of thin air? no, im pretty sure he has a source in the organization that leaked it to him. i mean, its right there. the coaches like rainey better.

The Tampa Bay Times says Bobby Rainey will start Thursday's game against the Falcons.

"Not just because of Doug Martin's knee. Coaches really like [Rainey]," said beat writer Rick Stroud.

you think stroud just made it up out of thin air? no, im pretty sure he has a source in the organization that leaked it to him. i mean, its right there. the coaches like rainey better.
I have no clue who Rick Stroud is and I have no clue what's going on in Lovie Smith's head but I would not trust reporter to make something up just to stir up controversy. How many times have I heard stuff that have no basis in reality?

This clown has to be the worst poster on these forums. Welcome to ignore.

Also another thing to bring up. After the game Lovie Smith emphasized protecting the ball and said Rainey is a good runner but you cannot turn the ball over.

Doug Martin has one career fumble. Rainey has three through 3 games including a game ending one against the panthers.

Martin will be the lead back as soon as he's healthy.

Also another thing to bring up. After the game Lovie Smith emphasized protecting the ball and said Rainey is a good runner but you cannot turn the ball over.

Doug Martin has one career fumble. Rainey has three through 3 games including a game ending one against the panthers.

Martin will be the lead back as soon as he's healthy.
maybe, seems like Rainey's got some skills though and will be used quite a bit as well assuming his fumbles don't get out of control.

As a Martin (and Rainey) owner, my fear is the ground game will be putrid. Will Martin get enough receptions? If it's Rainey on 3rd downs, will he make the cut once Sims gets back? I am afraid this is going to be a giant mess. Now I find myself hoping Martin gets traded before next year (this is a dyno).

If the Bucs could manage to pull of a Trent Richardson like trade for Martin I am 100% on board.

Crappy teams aren't rebuilt with RBs, safeties(Barron, Gholston), WR's (Evans), CB's (Revis). IMO, the successful way to rebuild a franchise starting with the DL, OL, and LBs. Worry about the sexy positions after you have a string core in place.

And yes I said the "R" word the Bucs have been afraid to say "REBUILD".

Yeah, I can read rotoworld too, difference is you didn't mention the next line where they mention it's speculation.

Speaking of trade value, anyone want to take a stab at it? I don't own him, but may look to acquire at value.
I would guess somewhere between a marginal starter (Asiata) and a high upside backup (Hyde). But imo the problem with Martin isn't just a product of bad luck... he's just kinda scrubby period.

As a Bucs fan (yes, I appreciate your pity), Rainey isn't the answer at RB. But that's also based on the Rational Coaching Fallacy. I posted a more detailed analysis in another Rainey thread, but even aside from the fumbling he's not a good back. He's had 2/8 good games and only against bad rushing defences.

But, he never should have re-entered the game after the 2nd fumble (Belichick, where are you?!?!?!) yet he did. Mike James hasn't looked good since being back from his injury (there's no real news on him even from practice reports) so I have no idea if he's still not 100% or what. Ironically the Bucs entered 2014 with amazing RB depth with 4 potential starters in Marrtin, Rainey, James & Sims and honestly Rainey was perhaps the weakest of the bunch.

Martin should get the start when healthy. He is far more talented than Rainey, has been better in pass pro (except in week 1 against CAR where he stunk), and has a stronger history of production. But Lovie Smith kept trotting Rainey out there, and plans on sticking with McCown at QB.

As a Bucs fan (yes, I appreciate your pity), Rainey isn't the answer at RB. But that's also based on the Rational Coaching Fallacy. I posted a more detailed analysis in another Rainey thread, but even aside from the fumbling he's not a good back. He's had 2/8 good games and only against bad rushing defences.

But, he never should have re-entered the game after the 2nd fumble (Belichick, where are you?!?!?!) yet he did. Mike James hasn't looked good since being back from his injury (there's no real news on him even from practice reports) so I have no idea if he's still not 100% or what. Ironically the Bucs entered 2014 with amazing RB depth with 4 potential starters in Marrtin, Rainey, James & Sims and honestly Rainey was perhaps the weakest of the bunch.

Martin should get the start when healthy. He is far more talented than Rainey, has been better in pass pro (except in week 1 against CAR where he stunk), and has a stronger history of production. But Lovie Smith kept trotting Rainey out there, and plans on sticking with McCown at QB.
As a bears fan I can tell you Lovie is loyal to a fault.

Hypothetically speaking if Sims were to return healthy in week 8, is he automatically going to get a shot to be the starter?

chinawildman said:
Hypothetically speaking if Sims were to return healthy in week 8, is he automatically going to get a shot to be the starter?
They really like him, evidenced by drafting a RB 3rd with tons of needs elsewhere and via training camp reports.

He'll be given a big opportunity but it will be a gradual process. He could be the Bucs no. 1 back next year but for this season it's difficult to say because of the RB depth and his injury status.

Rotoworld:

The Bucs are reportedly confident that Doug Martin (knee) will return for Week 4 against the Steelers.

Martin was a late scratch last Thursday night, giving Bobby Rainey a chance to run toward the lead of this committee. Instead, Rainey lost two fumbles, averaged 3.72 YPC and the Bucs got whipped 56-14 by the Falcons. In other words, things couldn't have gone much better for Martin owners. If truly healthy, he'll likely start against a Steelers defense that is both shaky and injured.

Sep 22 - 10:48 AM

Wut?

Wholly cow, what a bunch of crazy posts.

You don't drum up trade interest for a guy by saying he's either hurt or not good enough to play for you. Secondly, Rainey looked awful (regardless of his fumbles) and has already been released by another team. He's rb3 or 4 in the real NFL and will be out of the league in a couple of years if not sooner.

I have worries about Martin and whether he can do anything but Rainey isn't a worry at all right now. When Sims comes back I'd be more nervous but for now he's about all they have.

Wholly cow, what a bunch of crazy posts.

You don't drum up trade interest for a guy by saying he's either hurt or not good enough to play for you. Secondly, Rainey looked awful (regardless of his fumbles) and has already been released by another team. He's rb3 or 4 in the real NFL and will be out of the league in a couple of years if not sooner.

I have worries about Martin and whether he can do anything but Rainey isn't a worry at all right now. When Sims comes back I'd be more nervous but for now he's about all they have.
This and the Davis thread are just bizarre with the comments about the incumbent.

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin (knee) participated in Bucs practice Monday.

Per beat writer Greg Auman, Martin "looked like he was practicing without limitations." Bobby Rainey has lost three fumbles through three games, and struggled outside of his Week 2 blowup against St. Louis. Martin still has a chance to retake Tampa Bay's backfield. The Bucs face Pittsburgh in Week 4.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Sep 22 - 4:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin (knee) says he's "100 percent."

Martin is also "anxious" to prove he's "still an impact player." Martin has been soundly out-played by Bobby Rainey this season, but Rainey fumbled twice in last week's loss to the Falcons. Martin should get the "start" against the Steelers' leaky run defense, but will have to be effective right away. We expect Rainey to get work. Martin is a high-risk, high-reward RB2 with six teams on bye for Week 4.

Source: Roy Cummings on Twitter

Sep 25 - 1:54 PM

Kind of tired of reading about how Martin has been "outplayed" with his 9 carries for the season against a top run defense. While he played well in the STL game, even disregarding the fumbles Rainey was horrible against a MUCH more porous Atlanta run defense until they got behind by 50 points and Atlanta put their backups into ultra prevent mode.

ETA: Rainey was averaging 1.7ypc entering the 4th quarter of the Atlanta game.

What do the dynasty people think of Martin? In one of my leagues the owner is making it known that he wants to sell so it might be a good time to buy. I have a feeling that in a few days his value will be increasing or decreasing significantly.

I'm not too worried about Rainey. I'm more worried about Sims when he returns.

To be clear, I like Martin in redraft going forward, but not sure what I feel about next year or the future.

This is a great time to buy Martin. He might not workout, but it's a cheap price for guy with his proven upside.

Dropped in my league last night :o

Seems crazy to me.
How many teams? That is an incredibly dumb move. Who did he pick up instead?
Redraft, 12 teams and he did it to pick up Ladarius Green to cover Julius Thomas' buy week. Considering he could have dropped Boldin or maybe Decker, makes no sense
That makes no sense especially given the state of RBs right now. People are paying big money for guys like Taliafero, why in the world would you drop Martin?

Users who are viewing this thread