What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (8 Viewers)

Some sportrac guy estimated his FA value at 25M a year so he’s going to get paid no matter what. I guess it doesn’t matter who reports it, it’s going to happen. 
Yeah, Cousins reset the market and everyone else will follow until somebody like Dak does again, and then it'll fall into place for these guys.

Unless, of course, they accept the franchise tags willingly without using holdouts as leverage against the bargaining power of the employer. Personally, I just don't see any easy way out for the players or the owners. If they're spending to cap, it's not that the owners are cheap, they're concerned with cap allocation. 

I think the owners are desperately trying to get the market and cap structure away from being so QB-centric, but it won't be, and it isn't, and until the CBA comes around, the winning way is still a first-deal quarterback with great pieces around him, or Tom Brady and that ugly display of football that they call the Patriots. God, winning never looked so five yard dunk ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
One could say to increase the cap and get over it, but that would simply set another ceiling to achieve for the players. There's so much money. I mean, gobs upon gobs of oobleck.

He finished 2nd in QB scoring in my league, which gives 6 per td and only -1 for turnovers. I know most leagues use -2 for turnovers, but I would think most were satisfied with him in fantasy this year, especially considering weeks 14 and 15?

Just read he threw an interception on his first pass in 4 games this year. Like Diamagio’s streak think that record will last forever.

Jameis Winston (right thumb, knee) is questionable for the Buccaneers' Week 17 matchup against the Falcons.

Winston is fully expected to suit up after practicing in full on Thursday and Friday. Winston still managed to score 18 fantasy points last week during his four-interception effort. The problem is the league's most pass-happy QB doesn't have the world's easiest matchup against a Falcons defense that has been playing much better since their Week 9 bye, and it's tough to expect a true 'boom' performance from Winston with both Mike Evans (hamstring, IR) and Chris Godwin (hamstring, out) again sidelined.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Dec 27, 2019, 4:55 PM ET

He throws so many interceptions that If I were a Bucs fan I would want every one of his passes to be bombs.  Worst comes out of that is usually a flipped field.     

He finished 2nd in QB scoring in my league, which gives 6 per td and only -1 for turnovers. I know most leagues use -2 for turnovers, but I would think most were satisfied with him in fantasy this year, especially considering weeks 14 and 15?
He  was QB-3 in one of my leagues behind Dak and Lamar.  It's a complicated scoring system but -10 for an INT and only +5 for a TD,  0.225 points per passing yard with 15 bonus points at 300 yards, -0.333 points per passing attempt and +0.5 per completion.

He took me to the title game but I fell short.  He was a great fantasy QB this year, hard to argue against that.

He's just a winner.

Seriously though, apparently no one had thrown for more than 30ints since the year I was born until now.  1988 to Jamis.

The Bucs, or any team for that matter, is crazy if they give big money to Winston. You can’t win consistently with a guy who throws 30 interceptions.  

Grahamburn said:
Fitting end to the season. 

However, if the kicker makes a couple field goals Jameis is taking a knee at the end of that game.  :shrug:
Exactly. Yes the pick was egregious, but he should have never been in that situation. The kicker missed 3 if I remember correctly. 

Exactly. Yes the pick was egregious, but he should have never been in that situation. The kicker missed 3 if I remember correctly. 
You're right.  But there were still 29 other occasions.  6 others that went to the endzone if I'm not mistaken. 

This guy is pretty much Jay Cutler.  His arm talent wows you, but his decision making leaves you scratching your head.

Grahamburn said:
Fitting end to the season. 

However, if the kicker makes a couple field goals Jameis is taking a knee at the end of that game.  :shrug:
Doesn't matter if he shouldn't have been in that position. The Bucs are lucky he was. When they start thinking about wasting more $, they will have this incredibly bad pass, that ended the season, to remember. It's going to be near impossible to forget that one. This one was embarrassing beyond belief.

Matt Gay may very well have saved the Bucs from wasting another year & another $27 milllion plus on a bust of a QB. Those missed allowed them to possible finally get it through their thick heads what a disaster it would be to pay this guy more $ for more INTs. 

Pay him, Gruden. There would be nothing more entertaining in 2020 than a match made in hell of Gruden & Winston. The sneers as he comes back to the sidelines after another pick-6 would be gold, Jerry, gold. I do hope he can continue this clown show elsewhere. Wouldn't really mind CHI either since he would be able to get the ball to Miller for some TDs to match the Pick-6s.

Doesn't matter if he shouldn't have been in that position. The Bucs are lucky he was. When they start thinking about wasting more $, they will have this incredibly bad pass, that ended the season, to remember. It's going to be near impossible to forget that one. This one was embarrassing beyond belief.

Matt Gay may very well have saved the Bucs from wasting another year & another $27 milllion plus on a bust of a QB. Those missed allowed them to possible finally get it through their thick heads what a disaster it would be to pay this guy more $ for more INTs. 

Pay him, Gruden. There would be nothing more entertaining in 2020 than a match made in hell of Gruden & Winston. The sneers as he comes back to the sidelines after another pick-6 would be gold, Jerry, gold. I do hope he can continue this clown show elsewhere. Wouldn't really mind CHI either since he would be able to get the ball to Miller for some TDs to match the Pick-6s.
If the Bucs drop him he wont be starting anywhere.

Has there ever been a QB who had SUCH a Turnover start first 5 years and turned it around? Not like this is year one or two... but the arm talent is undeniable.  I know some guys were early busts then blossom late career (Plunkett, Gannon), but this is an extended run with a consistent outcome of INTs.

Bucs coach Bruce Arians expects to reach a decision on Jameis Winston's future with the team in a "couple weeks."

"You look at it and there’s so much good and so much outright terrible,'' Arians said of Winston's play on Sunday evening. He was even more aggressive on Monday when asked if he could win with another quarterback. "Oh yeah. If we can win with this one, we can definitely win with another one, too." As you already know, Winston posted a 33:30 TD:INT total this season while throwing for the eighth most yards in league history (5,109). Winston's turnovers are partly a function of far more down-field aggression than most QBs, but as Arians alludes to, many more are simply the result of terrible decision-making. Anything will be possible in Tampa this offseason.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 1:45 PM ET

Yes that comment makes it pretty clear. He kept going on about how he wants to keep the defense together as well - Barrett, Suh, JPP and Nassib will be expensive. Can’t do all that and pay this guy 25M. 

For all the great throws he makes (and he can make every throw) the passes that ended the last two games are what makes it tough to count on him. He’s been staring down receivers and D’s jump routes.  Usually it’s short over the middle or short down and outs. If he could just clean that up he could be a viable starter in this league. But it’s a big if.  Arians may just be negotiating as I’m not sure what his options are. Team is too far along to rebuild with a rookie 

Team is too far along to rebuild with a rookie 
Bucs would probably miss the best window as far as utilizing their WR/TEs in their prime but other than that I don't really agree with this statement. The defense is Swiss cheese. No household name at RB. Oline is unimpressive.

Bucs would probably miss the best window as far as utilizing their WR/TEs in their prime but other than that I don't really agree with this statement. The defense is Swiss cheese. No household name at RB. Oline is unimpressive.
Defense finished 5th in DVOA. They were really good the second half. They’ll take a back in the draft. Oline is fine-ish. Team could win 9-10 next year with good qb play and a decent kicker. 

With the QB turning it over that many times they were a few placekicks away from 9-7. A blown call in Tennessee from 10-6... 

They aren’t that far away from playoff contention+

Virtually no chance he doesn’t. And he’ll get over 20M. 
Lol, please give me a list of those teams. Out of the nfc there's the panthers and bucs. I'd say Newton will be back. In the AFC there's the Dolphins, Bengals, Chargers and Jags. So 4 teams and Dalton and the rookie qbs take those spots. You're living in a dream world. Nobody is signing a 35 turnover qb to 20 million a year.

Users who are viewing this thread