What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (8 Viewers)

Jamarcus Rusell 2.0 He looked absolutely horrible. They are going to kick themselves in the ### for not taking Mariota. Anytime you can take a quality character guy over a low character guy, if skillset is close, you take the good person. When will GMs learn this?
It wasn't close at all.
stay tuned. I can't think of a troublemaking low character quarterback that ever turned it around and became a good leader. It might work at wide receiver. Not at QB. And he doesn't look all that skilled either.
So he's low character, dumb, and not talented?
I said he's a bone head. Not dumb. I heard he tests well

Jamarcus Rusell 2.0 He looked absolutely horrible. They are going to kick themselves in the ### for not taking Mariota. Anytime you can take a quality character guy over a low character guy, if skillset is close, you take the good person. When will GMs learn this?
It wasn't close at all.
stay tuned. I can't think of a troublemaking low character quarterback that ever turned it around and became a good leader. It might work at wide receiver. Not at QB. And he doesn't look all that skilled either.
Brett Favre?

Top NFL QBs were studying their playbooks at 9pm every night in college. This guy reminds me of a combination of JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Vince Young, Byron Leftwich, Kordell Stewart and Heath Shuler.

TakiToki said:
Top NFL QBs were studying their playbooks at 9pm every night in college. This guy reminds me of a combination of JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Vince Young, Byron Leftwich, Kordell Stewart and Heath Shuler.
:lmao: HE REMINDS ME OF EVERY BAD BLACK QB EVER AND OH YEA ONE WHITE GUY SO NOT RACIST
:lmao: :lmao:

TakiToki said:
:lmao: HE REMINDS ME OF EVERY BAD BLACK QB EVER AND OH YEA ONE WHITE GUY SO NOT RACIST
:lmao: It was actually pretty impressive to come up with a list of guys that long and somehow manage to have nobody with anything in common (skill wise) to Winston.

http://youtu.be/euI3v2jpTlI

Capella said:
JuniorNB said:
The hype wasn't close at all.
FYP

TakiToki said:
I'm thinking Spergon Wynn.

Last edited by a moderator:
- The Tampa Bay offense line is bad

Don't have anything to add other than to reiterate that the Tampa Bay offensive line is really bad
Roy Cummings@RCummingsTBO 38m38 minutes ago

The #Bucs O-line woes may be increasing. LT Donovan Smith watching practice from sidelines today with plastic boot on right foot.
JennaLaineBucs@JennaLaineBucs 12m12 minutes ago

Dissatisfied with the offensive line play? Bucs are too. That's why they're looking for help inside and willing to trade. Shopping now.

TakiToki said:
If you combined the strengths of ALL of those QB's you'd have a freaking super hero QB, so maybe it was a compliment?

TakiToki said:
:lmao: It was actually pretty impressive to come up with a list of guys that long and somehow manage to have nobody with anything in common (skill wise) to Winston.

http://youtu.be/euI3v2jpTlI
:confused:

Some of those guys had the same major skillset as Winston. So did lots of successful QB's, of course. We don't have to retroactively take away what they did well, too. Seems unnecessarily cruel. Hell, Jamarcus had superior skills to 99% of the guys who ever succeeded in the NFL. Like the most of the rest of those guys, he flamed because of the mental part of the game. Didn't adapt to pro ball. Time will tell with JW. :shrug:

Young and Kordell were miscast as NFL QB's.

Akili and Ware were college system guys.

Wadsworth said:
JuniorNB said:
Capella said:
JuniorNB said:
It wasn't close at all.
Brett Favre?
Roethlisberger?

Dan Marino, Joe Namath, Peyton Manning.

If the media had half the power it does now back when some of these guys were coming out I wonder how many of them would have been considered to have "character issues."

Young kids in college do stupid things. They make bad decisions. Try to judge this kid on what he does going forward.

- The Tampa Bay offense line is bad

Don't have anything to add other than to reiterate that the Tampa Bay offensive line is really bad
Roy Cummings@RCummingsTBO 38m38 minutes ago

The #Bucs O-line woes may be increasing. LT Donovan Smith watching practice from sidelines today with plastic boot on right foot.

JennaLaineBucs@JennaLaineBucs 12m12 minutes ago

Dissatisfied with the offensive line play? Bucs are too. That's why they're looking for help inside and willing to trade. Shopping now.
Pro Football Focus@PFF 27m27 minutes ago

Ali Marpet has struggled to adjust to NFL pass rushers. He has the worst preseason pass-blocking grade of all Guards.

Dan Marino, Joe Namath, Peyton Manning.

If the media had half the power it does now back when some of these guys were coming out I wonder how many of them would have been considered to have "character issues."

Young kids in college do stupid things. They make bad decisions. Try to judge this kid on what he does going forward.
Past tendencies are a good predictor of the future. Once in a great while, someone will grow out of being a knucklehead. But more times than not, it's a personality flaw that will always be there. I guess we'll see. If he had Manning/Luck talent and skills, I'd have spent a first rounder on him and hoped I could change his ways. But for a guy who threw 18 interceptions his senior year, I would have traded down. They could have a gotten a Cleveland or Jets team to bite on him.

I think Winston has Cam Newton rookie level upside. No one thought Cam would do anything either.

Yeah he's gonna get sacked a billion times but he's still throwing it up to Evans and V-Jax. And there's no way he doesn't get *at least* five rushing TDs. One of my favorite late round picks.

I think Winston has Cam Newton rookie level upside. No one thought Cam would do anything either.

Yeah he's gonna get sacked a billion times but he's still throwing it up to Evans and V-Jax. And there's no way he doesn't get *at least* five rushing TDs. One of my favorite late round picks.
True, most people didn't see Cam's rookie year coming. However, Cam's running played a large role in his huge rookie year and the two aren't close in their running ability. Cam ran for nearly 1500 yards and 20 TD's his last year in college and Jameis had a total of 284 rushing yards and 7 TD's in his two years.

Winston's preseason play may have influenced my perception. But I do think he'll wind up with more rushing TDs than the average QB. He's got some of the skill set.

Winston will probably never rush for 700/14 in any TWO seasons combined, like Cam did his rookie year. That said, even if you took out all of Cam's rushing stats, he'd still be a top 15 QB in 4 pt passing TD leagues as a rookie. Winston is also a better passer with better weapons compared to rookie Cam, and he has a cake schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up top 10-12 numbers this season, provided he can stay on the field behind that terrible line.

Winston will probably never rush for 700/14 in any TWO seasons combined, like Cam did his rookie year. That said, even if you took out all of Cam's rushing stats, he'd still be a top 15 QB in 4 pt passing TD leagues as a rookie. Winston is also a better passer with better weapons compared to rookie Cam, and he has a cake schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up top 10-12 numbers this season, provided he can stay on the field behind that terrible line.
Wouldn't shock me with his arm and those weapons.

You're messing with us, right?

You're messing with us, right?
Nope. I personally dislike the guy tremendously but it's not inconceivable that he will have fantasy success this year.

The league I drafted him in is 4 point TD and only -1 per INT, which seems like a good format for him - Cutler was the #9 QB in PPG last year.

Just traded up a few picks to make sure I got Winston in the first round of my keeper league. This is gonna be great!

Here is all Ill add: (I am a winston owner, at least to see what he can do)

I find it hard to believe he won't put up respectable fantasy numbers with his schedule: Vs. Tennesee, @ New Orleans (w/o there top corner), Vs. Jacksonville, @ Washington, @ Atlanta, Vs. New York Giants, Vs. Dallas, Vs. Atlanta, Vs. New Orleans, Vs. Chicago. (Thats 10 games vs some of the worst defense/secondaries in the league!

As a Panther homer, I still remember how awful Cam looked in his rookie preseason. We questioned whether he belonged in the NFL. I need to see Winston a lot more during the season before I form any opinions on him. In the meantime, the weapons alone make him draft worthy at the end of your draft instead of some likely scrub who will never see your lineup absent an emergency.

I find it hard to believe he won't put up respectable fantasy numbers with his schedule: Vs. Tennesee, @ New Orleans (w/o there top corner), Vs. Jacksonville, @ Washington, @ Atlanta, Vs. New York Giants, Vs. Dallas, Vs. Atlanta, Vs. New Orleans, Vs. Chicago. (Thats 10 games vs some of the worst defense/secondaries in the league!
If your league doesn't take away points for turnovers, he may put up some decent numbers against bad defenses. But he was an interception machine last year at Florida St. 18 interceptions in a short college schedule. That's terrible. Unless his decision making has improved 100%, I think the smart fantasy play is to pickup the defense he's going against.

If your league doesn't take away points for turnovers, he may put up some decent numbers against bad defenses. But he was an interception machine last year at Florida St. 18 interceptions in a short college schedule. That's terrible. Unless his decision making has improved 100%, I think the smart fantasy play is to pickup the defense he's going against.
Why doesn't anyone ever mention his 2013 season?

Because it's a fantasy football site. Not many are talking about Nick Foles' 2013 anymore either. We have fresher data.

:goodposting:

Because it's a fantasy football site. Not many are talking about Nick Foles' 2013 anymore either. We have fresher data.
You brought up his college stats. I personally see it as a positive that he could take a completely different team to another undefeated regular season and college playoff berth.

When he had a better surrounding cast in 2013:

4,057 yards. 40 TDs. 10 INTs. Heisman. National Championship.

You brought up his college stats. I personally see it as a positive that he could take a completely different team to another undefeated regular season and college playoff berth.

When he had a better surrounding cast in 2013:

4,057 yards. 40 TDs. 10 INTs. Heisman. National Championship.
So his 18 interceptions last year were a result of a bad supporting cast?? At Florida State?

Sorry, but he regressed. Teams had film.

Any FSU fan will tell you, yes, the supporting cast was much worse in 2014. I think Gruden did a segment with Winston where he pointed out that the majority of the interceptions were because he was forcing the ball to Rashad Greene. It's less of an excuse and more of a reason. Forcing the ball is not a positive quality.

Point is, surround him with talent and he will thrive. It remains to be seen if the Bucs can/will do that. He certainly has the receivers.

Holy Jebus...now we're rehashing the entire Spring.

Can't wait til next week. I'm going, but tix are supposedly a lot more difficult than the last few years. Not saying much, but with 0 Tenn demand...it's a good sign.

Can't wait til next week. I'm going, but tix are supposedly a lot more difficult than the last few years. Not saying much, but with 0 Tenn demand...it's a good sign.
Ugh. Yeah. I'll stop.

Hope you're sitting on the Bucs' side. I went to the Detroit opener a few years ago and sat on their side of the field. The sun was absolutely brutal.

And there's no way he doesn't get *at least* five rushing TDs. One of my favorite late round picks.
If we are talking fantasy football, no way. Cam's value came as a result of his rushing stats and Jameis is not a runner.

And there's no way (well it's very unlikely at least) that he reaches five rushing TDs.

And there's no way he doesn't get *at least* five rushing TDs. One of my favorite late round picks.
If we are talking fantasy football, no way. Cam's value came as a result of his rushing stats and Jameis is not a runner.

And there's no way (well it's very unlikely at least) that he reaches five rushing TDs.
Cam shouldn't even be in the discussion since they are nothing alike.

IMO he's Cutler.

Ugh. Yeah. I'll stop.

Hope you're sitting on the Bucs' side. I went to the Detroit opener a few years ago and sat on their side of the field. The sun was absolutely brutal.
North end zone, but now looks like rain all day.

Users who are viewing this thread