What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (3 Viewers)

i dont think any of these guys are getting benched for a single fumble or mistake. all have performed pretty well and shown competency. its gonna be a pretty nasty 3 headed monster for a while until someone stands apart. and even then, the other guys will still have a large role. i could see tate and crowell alternating series while west plays the passing down role. it only makes sense to keep fresh guys on the field.

PhantomJB said:
steveski said:
So I'll try to word this in a non-AC post kind of way.

If you have guys with a low ceiling but high floor on your bench that should only be needed in case of injuries or bye weeks, would you drop them for someone like Crowell?

Ps. I'm specifically referencing MJD but any guy that fits that mold is the broader question.
I'm not certain MJD would fit that description since we have not yet seen what he is capable of this year.

But someone like Steven Jackson if he were just sitting on my bench yes I would drop for Crowell. The upside is just too great combined with increasing probability he'll take over as lead back. If I went zero RB and had SJax as my RB2 with a strong WR corps I'd think a little harder.

Worst case come bye week just pick up a plodder like Shonn Greene and he'll get 80% of a high floor guy like SJax would have gotten.
The increasing probability is that Tate is back and starting after the bye. Maybe if/when Tate gets hurt Crowell will have a bigger role then he had in games 2 & 3 but until then Tate is the starter. Let's not put the cart before the horse.
I think the cart's going to have three horses pulling it.

Why wouldn't it? Why would the coaches sit two talented backs, when they have three?

PhantomJB said:
steveski said:
So I'll try to word this in a non-AC post kind of way.

If you have guys with a low ceiling but high floor on your bench that should only be needed in case of injuries or bye weeks, would you drop them for someone like Crowell?

Ps. I'm specifically referencing MJD but any guy that fits that mold is the broader question.
I'm not certain MJD would fit that description since we have not yet seen what he is capable of this year.

But someone like Steven Jackson if he were just sitting on my bench yes I would drop for Crowell. The upside is just too great combined with increasing probability he'll take over as lead back. If I went zero RB and had SJax as my RB2 with a strong WR corps I'd think a little harder.

Worst case come bye week just pick up a plodder like Shonn Greene and he'll get 80% of a high floor guy like SJax would have gotten.
The increasing probability is that Tate is back and starting after the bye. Maybe if/when Tate gets hurt Crowell will have a bigger role then he had in games 2 & 3 but until then Tate is the starter. Let's not put the cart before the horse.
I think the cart's going to have three horses pulling it.

Why wouldn't it? Why would the coaches sit two talented backs, when they have three?
:confused:

They wouldn't, but Tate is the starter and will get the most work. Suggesting otherwise, in favor of Crowell or West, is putting the cart before the horse.

I was sorry to have to drop Crowell in my re-draft league due to a short bench and bye week issues, but I'm happy to have him on the taxi squad in my dynasty league. I think the CLE running game in going to go into full-blown committee for a couple games if Tate doesn't come back and play lights out. It could be Week 8 or longer before this all gets sorted out. Perhaps the owner that picked up Crowell won't have the patience for it. Another owner just dropped West, which I thought was a bit reactionary, but, again, short benches and bye weeks strike again.

They wouldn't, but Tate is the starter and will get the most work. Suggesting otherwise, in favor of Crowell or West, is putting the cart before the horse.
OK then.

I was simply saying I don't see any back getting all the carries. Whole lotta lottery ticket owners here already building their dream homes.

OK then.

I was simply saying I don't see any back getting all the carries. Whole lotta lottery ticket owners here already building their dream homes.
No back ever gets all the carries. A marquee back gets maybe 70% of his teams carries. Tate is not a marquee back so the best case scenario for West/Crowell owners would be closer to 40-50% for Tate leaving the rest to be divvied up among West & Crowell.

Using the most simplistic analysis the Browns are on pace to rush the ball 394 more times this season if that trend holds then that means between 158-197 carries for Tate leaving between 197-236 carries between Crowell and West (and incidental runs).

So what's the best case scenario for Crowell with a healthy Tate? 60% of the remaining carries so Crowell gets maybe 11 carries/game?

OK then.

No back ever gets all the carries. A marquee back gets maybe 70% of his teams carries. Tate is not a marquee back so the best case scenario for West/Crowell owners would be closer to 40-50% for Tate leaving the rest to be divvied up among West & Crowell.Using the most simplistic analysis the Browns are on pace to rush the ball 394 more times this season if that trend holds then that means between 158-197 carries for Tate leaving between 197-236 carries between Crowell and West (and incidental runs).

So what's the best case scenario for Crowell with a healthy Tate? 60% of the remaining carries so Crowell gets maybe 11 carries/game?
If he gets that and the goalines I'm good with that with an eye and hope they build to a bigger fantasy playoff time role

OK then.

No back ever gets all the carries. A marquee back gets maybe 70% of his teams carries. Tate is not a marquee back so the best case scenario for West/Crowell owners would be closer to 40-50% for Tate leaving the rest to be divvied up among West & Crowell.Using the most simplistic analysis the Browns are on pace to rush the ball 394 more times this season if that trend holds then that means between 158-197 carries for Tate leaving between 197-236 carries between Crowell and West (and incidental runs).

Yeah, still not getting what I am saying.

I don't think any back takes the lead role, ok? Not every single carry, let's call it the Forte role, ok?

I think it's a full blown RBBC. Which West owners, Tate owners, and Crowell cult members really don't want to hear.

Don't really think we disagreeing here.

I love building my bench with players like Crowell. Even in a timeshare, he's someone you can run out there during a bye week in a deep league and get some production. If he ends up as the #1 rb, you have a very good starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
RB Ben Tate is the starter according to Cleveland Browns RB coach Wilbert Montgomery.

The reason is he's the best RB. When asked about rookie RB Isaiah Crowell he was complimentary but said he needed to work on some things. Pressed to state what he had to work on Montgomery noted how Isaiah isn't get out of his pass protection and into his pass routes quicker and that basically he's not getting to be where he's supposed to be in his routes, it sounds like he's drifting and not sitting down in the seems where the QB is supposed to be targeting him.

Crowell only has 1 reception on the year which sums up how ineffective he's been in the passing attack.

The good news is he can develop that but the bad news is that with a proven vet like Ben Tate who had 34 receptions last year in Houston or with fellow rookie RB Terrance West showing a 'lil-more' in the passing game, 5 receptions so-far this year, Isaiah probably won't get opportunities to improve if the team has better options.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=37401

Browns plan to return Ben Tate to starting running back, but may still 'feed the Crow'Sep 26, 2014 -- 6:00am

The Morning Kickoff …

Feed the Crow?: He has the nickname that sets him apart. But above all, Isaiah Crowell, a.k.a. the Crow, has the running style that endears himself to Browns fans.

He hits the hole with authority, without dancing, and when he gets to the open field and is trundling downhill, pity the safety who gets in his way.

“He’s a slasher,” coach Mike Pettine said of the Browns’ undrafted free agent beast of a running back. “He can put his foot in the ground and cut. I think he’s decisive. I think he’s a guy that, if you polled DBs and said, ‘Hey, do you want to make a list of guys that you want to tackle?’ I don’t think he makes that list. He can square up. He runs very low to the ground. I think he has great acceleration, great burst.”

The other rookie running back, Terrance West, is an inch shorter than Crowell at 5-10. Both are listed at 225 pounds. But they are very different in running style.

“I think Terrance is more of a ‘can make you miss’ guy. I don’t know if Crowell wants to make you miss,” Pettine said.

Crowell has three touchdowns and West has two. Five touchdowns on the ground already exceeds the 2013 Browns’ season total of four. Five equals the league high for a team through three games of this season. Together, West and Crowell have combined for 345 yards on 74 attempts for a 4.66 average.

And by the time the Browns play their next game on Oct. 5 in Tennessee, starter Ben Tate should be ready to play after missing 2 ½ games with a sprained knee.

What then?

Little things help: Before Crowell and West emerged as rookie phenoms, Tate carried the ball six times for 41 yards against the Steelers. He sprained his knee at the end of a 25-yard run midway through the second quarter of the opening game.

Running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery was asked this week if Tate would return to his starting role when healthy.

“That’s what we brought Tate here for, to be the starter,” Montgomery said. “Hes the No. 1 running back in this offense. Right now, you can say we miss his experience, we miss his leadership with the group. From that standpoint, we’ll be open arms and welcome to have Ben back in the fold so he can come out and help us win more ballgames.”

Montgomery said that Tate “is miles ahead of the other two guys … Tate was in the league four years in Houston. It’s all about the little things, doing them right.”

When Montgomery expounds on this subject, you understand two things: 1. As good a bruising runner with the football that Crowell is, he is far from a complete back. 2. The man who misses Tate the most is quarterback Brian Hoyer.

In essentially the same offense last year in Houston, Tate had 34 receptions in part-time duty. In the 2 ½ games during Tate’s absence, Crowell has one reception and West has four.

This is what Montgomery said to me when I asked him to assess Crowell:

“Very young guy. He’s got a lot of growing to do. He’s doing the small things we want him to do by hitting the holes hard, hitting them quick, being explosive. At the same time, he’s making mistakes just like a young back is going to make mistakes. There’s still some growing in that area for him. I think the more he plays, the better he’s going to get. That comes with time.”

I asked Montgomery to elaborate on the mistakes Crowell is making.

He replied: “It’s the small things. Like being in the right place when you’re supposed to be there. And you do not fool the quarterback. Like when he’s running a route … you’ve got to get through the numbers and run through the numbers as quick as possible. If you’re running a route that you have to check down over the ball where the quarterback can find you, you’re supposed to find his eyes before he finds you. Just getting to your spot and being there on time when you’re supposed to be there and not be slow getting out.”

A long step up: A native of Columbus, GA, Crowell was considered the No. 1 prep running back in the nation by Scout.com. Crowell chose Georgia over Alabama, and he won the Bulldogs No. 1 running back job as a true freshman. Crowell was selected SEC freshman of the year.

But after that first season, Crowell ran afoul of the law. At a routine check-point, police stopped his car and they smelled marijuana. During a search of the car, police found an unlicensed hand gun under the driver’s seat. Crowell, who reportedly had a failed a test for marijuana previously, was expelled from Georgia.

He quickly enrolled at Alabama State. In two seasons at the (former) Division II school, Crowell amassed 1,964 yards, a 5.96 average and 30 touchdowns.

“It’s kind of night and day,” Crowell said of the Southwestern Athletic Conference compared to the NFL. “Everybody’s faster. Everybody knows how to disguise defenses better. In college, you mainly know who’s rushing and who’s not. In the NFL, you never know.

“I really think I need to improve on getting everything down pat, being better on my pass protections, being better with my checks.”

Going back to Montgomery’s critique, this is why Crowell is late in releasing from pass protection and into his pass routes.

“That could be quicker,” Crowell said. “That has all to do with the pass protections. Got to check the pass protection to be able to get out faster.”

At least one draft service considered Crowell the most gifted running back in the 2014 draft. But in the NFL, there’s more to the position than just running with the ball.

• Smile
Reactions: One
Thanks Bracie, useful post. Not shocking at all, is there a back that hasn't struggled in pass pro as a rookie? I'm sure there is, but I can't think of it. Luckily, Tate is both not a special back and is injury prone. The cream will rise to the top.

crowell is basically a mustache from here on in (MUST-STASH).

He should be that guy on your bench that you hold onto BC you know that if the stars align properly he will be lightning in a bottle for your team.

I equate him to kniles Davis in that respect. Wasted bench spot until an injury or something else happens to warrant him getting more play time and BAM! Instant RB1

He should be that guy on your bench that you hold onto BC you know that if the stars align properly he will be lightning in a bottle for your team.

I equate him to kniles Davis in that respect. Wasted bench spot until an injury or something else happens to warrant him getting more play time and BAM! Instant RB1
I feel like Jeremy Hillm has to be in this discussion. I'm looking to mustache Crowell or Hill and can't decide between the two.

I feel like Jeremy Hillm has to be in this discussion. I'm looking to mustache Crowell or Hill and can't decide between the two.
Tough call. Both good. Both involved. Tough tough call. Flip a coin?

Tough call. Both good. Both involved. Tough tough call. Flip a coin?
As much as I like Crowell, I'd take Hill by a mile over him. Better defense and only one person to compete with for carries.

RB Ben Tate is the starter according to Cleveland Browns RB coach Wilbert Montgomery.

The reason is he's the best RB.
Good article, but all I get from it is that Tate is the most experienced. Totally true and valuable in the NFL, but I think Crowell does most with his touches going forward.

This is a fun situation to follow, but it stinks owning all 3.

The reason is he's the best RB.
Good article, but all I get from it is that Tate is the most experienced. Totally true and valuable in the NFL, but I think Crowell does most with his touches going forward.

This is a fun situation to follow, but it stinks owning all 3.
I'd consider dropping West. If there's someone else out there with higher upside, he is the least likely to put up good FP going forward.

• Smile
Reactions: One
Thanks Bracie, useful post. Not shocking at all, is there a back that hasn't struggled in pass pro as a rookie? I'm sure there is, but I can't think of it. Luckily, Tate is both not a special back and is injury prone. The cream will rise to the top.
Not sure about this. He was comparable, if not better than, Arian Foster the past few years in Houston.

OK then.

No back ever gets all the carries. A marquee back gets maybe 70% of his teams carries. Tate is not a marquee back so the best case scenario for West/Crowell owners would be closer to 40-50% for Tate leaving the rest to be divvied up among West & Crowell.

Using the most simplistic analysis the Browns are on pace to rush the ball 394 more times this season if that trend holds then that means between 158-197 carries for Tate leaving between 197-236 carries between Crowell and West (and incidental runs).

Nice analysis here. Given his production in the Browns running game, he doesn't need many much more than 11 carries and 2 catches a game to be very relevant. If he continues to run so well, those carries could easily creep up to 15 per game.

And then there's the chance that Tate goes down again. KABOOM!!!

Nobody with Cleveland thought Crowell would be ready to play game one. He's an UDFA and barely played in pre-season. Yet pressed into duty anyway, Crowell has not only held his own but his role has increased.

Still, I would expect Tate to be the starter again initially when he is healthy because of his experience and ability to handle all roles in the passing game. As an every-week starting RB, Crowell is a second-half proposition. I love Crowell and have the depth to sit on him but I do not see him being a dominant RB1 for awhile at the very least.

BTW at UGA, whether it was fair or not, Crowell was seen as nicked and unavailable a lot.

Not sure about this. He was comparable, if not better than, Arian Foster the past few years in Houston.
No he wasn't.
Yeah, Tate was definitely not better than Foster the past few years.

OK then.

Nice analysis here. Given his production in the Browns running game, he doesn't need many much more than 11 carries and 2 catches a game to be very relevant. If he continues to run so well, those carries could easily creep up to 15 per game.

And then there's the chance that Tate goes down again. KABOOM!!!
He's had one catch in three games.

Tate is one of two players in the last 25 years to have a yards/reception under 5.0 (min 30 receptions) -- he's an awful liability in the passing game.

Nobody with Cleveland thought Crowell would be ready to play game one. He's an UDFA and barely played in pre-season. Yet pressed into duty anyway, Crowell has not only held his own but his role has increased.

Still, I would expect Tate to be the starter again initially when he is healthy because of his experience and ability to handle all roles in the passing game. As an every-week starting RB, Crowell is a second-half proposition. I love Crowell and have the depth to sit on him but I do not see him being a dominant RB1 for awhile at the very least.

BTW at UGA, whether it was fair or not, Crowell was seen as nicked and unavailable a lot.
I linked a youtube video which shows Crowell explaining a (minor) hamstring issue, which if I recall correctly hindered practice, which resulted in less/No game time during Pre-Season....

Now the main issue, Im having trouble with being posted is the "Nobody thought Crowell would be ready" Now I realize that his Coach has said things like "Crowell wasn't suppose to be a part of the game plan (ie. RB3 in pecking order) but due to injury became relevant (so to speak).

Basically Im thinking Crowell wasn't well versed/rehearsed in exact plays that were to be run for the game. ex. A good chance that Crowell did not get one snap w/ the 1st Team on the walk-thru for Wk.1 Vets who miss walk-thrus sometimes do not play on Sundays..

I do appreciate your taking the time to include "Nobody w/ Cleveland believed ready Week 1" Im thinking he was more ready for the frist week of the Season that most experienced Vets. The true Tests, if not already will be coming out of a bye week. Seasoned Vet sometimes play lights out ball after a bye week..

p.s. NFL Offense(s) are falsely believed to start out slow during the start of an NFL Season. Im thinking a College kid has been achin to play this first game..

btw, on a downside of all things Wonderful...​
Tim Gayle of the Montgomery Advertiser had a revealing interview with Hornets’ head coach Reggie Barlow about Crowell’s tenure with the Alabama State football team. It includes discussion about Crowell removing himself from games after suffering injuries some consider minor and not returning to the field for the rest of those games.
This quote is via Matt Waldman's Rookie Scouting Portfolio (imho If you play for Cash, this is probably Must Read stuff) Anyway heres the link to article: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/12/30/isaiah-crowell/

I linked a youtube video which shows Crowell explaining a (minor) hamstring issue, which if I recall correctly hindered practice, which resulted in less/No game time during Pre-Season....

Now the main issue, Im having trouble with being posted is the "Nobody thought Crowell would be ready" Now I realize that his Coach has said things like "Crowell wasn't suppose to be a part of the game plan (ie. RB3 in pecking order) but due to injury became relevant (so to speak).

Basically Im thinking Crowell wasn't well versed/rehearsed in exact plays that were to be run for the game. ex. A good chance that Crowell did not get one snap w/ the 1st Team on the walk-thru for Wk.1 Vets who miss walk-thrus sometimes do not play on Sundays..

I do appreciate your taking the time to include "Nobody w/ Cleveland believed ready Week 1" Im thinking he was more ready for the frist week of the Season that most experienced Vets. The true Tests, if not already will be coming out of a bye week. Seasoned Vet sometimes play lights out ball after a bye week..

p.s. NFL Offense(s) are falsely believed to start out slow during the start of an NFL Season. Im thinking a College kid has been achin to play this first game..

btw, on a downside of all things Wonderful...​
Tim Gayle of the Montgomery Advertiser had a revealing interview with Hornets’ head coach Reggie Barlow about Crowell’s tenure with the Alabama State football team. It includes discussion about Crowell removing himself from games after suffering injuries some consider minor and not returning to the field for the rest of those games.
This quote is via Matt Waldman's Rookie Scouting Portfolio (imho If you play for Cash, this is probably Must Read stuff) Anyway heres the link to article: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/12/30/isaiah-crowell/
the other side of that is that college football doesn't really pay...not being smart about your body when you have a shot at the show seems foolish

True, but another flipside is kinda worth mentioning too. I believe some players play too damn hard. But on your point,, We could discuss how Crowell still doesn't have "Starting RB Monies"

I personally don't have any reason to believe this could be an issue.. Contracts are sometimes reevaluated too..

If ya take anything out of what may have been fabricated and/or takin out of context, Remember this... Todays NFL is more about Tomorrow then it is Sunday..

ex. Is it possible after several games that Crowell could be asked to man up in a possible concussion situation (remember smelling salts) Anyway, yeah sure, its possible.. However I cant even imagine such a situation being reported for the general public to be any the wiser.. If a few players were to do such a thing, it would cast off as hearsay, seeking publicity or whatnot. If the Coach throws a player under the Bus, its possible he himself is under soon enough..

Is Crowell definitely the preference over West in dynasty? Have West and Crowell is available.
There's a lot of Crowell hype right now. I have him in every one of my redraft leagues, so I'm praying for the hype to be true. He could also be a decent sell high right now. His value will drop in redraft if he doesn't get much use over the next two weeks, which is entirely possible if they try to work Tate back in quickly. I'm not shopping him, but I would listen to an offer.

Kind of reminds me of Marion Barber early in his career, when he was the goal-line back in Dallas and clearly a more talented runner than Julius Jones.

At this point I see him as a flex play with mountains of upside potential. Probably won't get to see it this year, but one can dream.

Is Crowell definitely the preference over West in dynasty? Have West and Crowell is available.
There's a lot of Crowell hype right now. I have him in every one of my redraft leagues, so I'm praying for the hype to be true. He could also be a decent sell high right now. His value will drop in redraft if he doesn't get much use over the next two weeks, which is entirely possible if they try to work Tate back in quickly. I'm not shopping him, but I would listen to an offer.
Agreed. He is not a sure thing.

West hasn't looked bad. It's just that Crowell has looked better. With West's pedigree, he's going to get another chance somewhere if Cleveland doesn't pan out. I wouldn't be upset owning either on so long as I am not relying on them to produce this year.

There's always a chance that Crowell never really gets in sync with the passing game and ends up being more an Ivory type. If that happens, then West actually might still be the preferred back to own in Cleveland if he holds down the passing down job.

I'm personally betting on Crowell, but I don't fault anyone for hanging onto any of the three. West would be my third choice of the three if I had them all available. But if Tate and Crowell are already rostered, I wouldn't turn up my nose at West.

West hasn't looked bad. It's just that Crowell has looked better. With West's pedigree, he's going to get another chance somewhere if Cleveland doesn't pan out. I wouldn't be upset owning either on so long as I am not relying on them to produce this year.

There's always a chance that Crowell never really gets in sync with the passing game and ends up being more an Ivory type. If that happens, then West actually might still be the preferred back to own in Cleveland if he holds down the passing down job.

I'm personally betting on Crowell, but I don't fault anyone for hanging onto any of the three. West would be my third choice of the three if I had them all available. But if Tate and Crowell are already rostered, I wouldn't turn up my nose at West.
It is interesting.....and will continue to be as we watch this play out. Personally, I'm higher on West than I am on Tate. Crowell is the most talented of the three, easily. But talent doesn't always win out.

James Yoak: Percent chance the Browns will have a 1,000 yard rusher this season?

KJ: I’ll go 54 percent. Ben Tate has earned his starting spot, but that doesn’t mean offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will ignore Isaiah Crowell or Terrance West. I picture both getting touches behind Tate and if one of the rookies does develop a hot-hand in a game (which both have proven capable of doing), it will be hard not to keep feeding them the football. I think a goal that will be better suited to this rushing attack is 2,100 total yards. In 2013, the top seven rushing teams boasted at least 2,100 yards. Think of the Browns trio as trapeze artists working together, as opposed to a one-trick pony.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Cleveland-Browns-Mailbag/19d28561-04da-4a1e-9446-f02a5b674a53

Last chance to get him if he's still out there. Good shot at 15 carries on Sunday, especially with the latest news that Tate is unsure of his knee stability.

Last chance to get him if he's still out there. Good shot at 15 carries on Sunday, especially with the latest news that Tate is unsure of his knee stability.
Where did Tate say he's unsure of his knee's stability? I saw Tate said here that he could play with a knee brace, if the trainers want him to.

Mainly just taking it from this article:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/running_back_ben_tate_is_somew.html

He didn't say it verbatim, but he lists himself as questionable.
Ah. Good info. Thanks. Interesting how he refused to answer if he'd had any swelling in the knee. I expect him to play, but that doesn't sound good.
I found that odd as well. He could be playing coy but I'm not sure what he would gain from that.

Mainly just taking it from this article:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/running_back_ben_tate_is_somew.html

He didn't say it verbatim, but he lists himself as questionable.
Ah. Good info. Thanks. Interesting how he refused to answer if he'd had any swelling in the knee. I expect him to play, but that doesn't sound good.
I found that odd as well. He could be playing coy but I'm not sure what he would gain from that.
The coaches probably told him not to discuss specifics like that, since there are actual NFL teams trying to figure out what to expect.

Users who are viewing this thread