What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (3 Viewers)

Brony said:
I tried Hangouts a year ago and didn't like that it was trying to add video, phone, etc. I just wanted to text someone. I've tried handcent, 8sms and textra. I'm on Textra and it's exactly what I'm looking for: simple interface, does group texts without a hitch, doesn't force you into a closed network, just enough customization to make the interface work for me and quick reply from the lock screen.
:goodposting:

I'm very happy with Textra as well, with much the same reasoning. I'd recommend it to anyone who is having issues with their other apps. It seems to play nice with group messaging (turn on "use MMS for group chats" in settings"), even when half the people on the other end are on iPhone.

Hangouts might work for me now, but I'm usually resistant to change if I have no complaints with what I'm using. I usually only use Hangouts for video calling.
Another vote for Textra. It's simple and it handles group messages well.

Hangouts is too confusing because it mixes: e-mail, hangouts, and SMS which is a problem because with with my group of friends there's a priority to communication:

1) Facebook group chat - just shooting the #### everyday, nothing pressing.

2) SMS - Needs attention soonish.

3) Call - EMERGENCY!!

I like the simplicity of knowing that I'm sending a SMS through Textra.
Have you used Handcent? If so, thoughts on comparison here?
I used handcent. Just preferred the look of textra. I think they're pretty the same.

So my Nexus 7 (2013) decided it doesn't want to charge with the USB cord anymore. Anyone else had issues with this, anyway to fix it? I'm hoping a wireless charger might work, probably going to order the Koolpad Qi that jhib recommended, $23 on Amazon. Hulk, what brand are you using? Looks like I might be motivated to pick up that 8.9" HTC/Nexus beast that is coming soon.

So my Nexus 7 (2013) decided it doesn't want to charge with the USB cord anymore. Anyone else had issues with this, anyway to fix it? I'm hoping a wireless charger might work, probably going to order the Koolpad Qi that jhib recommended, $23 on Amazon. Hulk, what brand are you using? Looks like I might be motivated to pick up that 8.9" HTC/Nexus beast that is coming soon.
i had this problem with my original.I'll see if I can find it. But it's something like this.

unplug the USB out of the plug quickly a few times then plug in. Wait 2 minutes to see if you have a charge. If it is charging slow hold the volume and power button. A screen will come up. Toggle and select shutdown device.

do the charger thing again.

I found my plug has to sit just right.

if you google nexus 7 charge you will get a bunch of results. Had something to do with kit kat. I assume it's dead?

So on a daily basis what do you guys actually use your phones for? I assume e mail, weather, sports scores/ffl, stocks, basic internet searches, maybe a banking app, photos and social media, news, maybe a low fi game like chess or words with friends, music/podcasts. Actual phone calls, calendar. possibly directions/gps

What else am I missing out? I'm using a fairly old phone but when comparing this atrix to the newer phones I only found a few things that seemed ticky tack that the new phones could do.

So on a daily basis what do you guys actually use your phones for? I assume e mail, weather, sports scores/ffl, stocks, basic internet searches, maybe a banking app, photos and social media, news, maybe a low fi game like chess or words with friends, music/podcasts. Actual phone calls, calendar. possibly directions/gps

What else am I missing out? I'm using a fairly old phone but when comparing this atrix to the newer phones I only found a few things that seemed ticky tack that the new phones could do.
That's pretty much the stuff I do with my phone. If I could get away with doing that on older phone, then great, but usually speed of doing things, upgraded battery and upgraded camera with new phones is worth it (for many)

Are you sure it's not the charger itself that's broken? Thats happened to me before with old phones.

If your phone does everything you need it to do and you're happy with it, there's no need for you to get a new one.

That's pretty much the stuff I do with my phone. If I could get away with doing that on older phone, then great, but usually speed of doing things, upgraded battery and upgraded camera with new phones is worth it (for many)
i have no issues with the speed of this phone, but i could see where the battery could be better (this one sucks), the camera (5MP isn't bad but new ones are much better). and I'm guessing newer versions of android are possible more stable... I do get more app crashing then I feel like i should get.. and it is true that some apps (a few i use on my tablet) now only support android 4 or higher or features the app has are only available to better android versions.

So I could see that.

i was just curious what the average FBG did with his phone so I could see if there were features/apps that were fantastic that i was missing out on

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do decide to go with a Koolpad off Amazon, you might want to be sure to get one that is muted (will say something like "muted - sound disabled" in the title). Probably costs a few dollars more, but may be worth it for you, especially if you use it at night by your bed. Lots of people in the comments complain about the beep when you place your device on the non-muted one.

And the comments are confusing because they're the exact same ones on all the different versions - you still see the sound complaints under the muted version.

I got the muted version. No complaints, but this is the only one I've tried, so I have nothing to compare it to.

i have no issues with the speed of this phone, but i could see where the battery could be better (this one sucks), the camera (5MP isn't bad but new ones are much better). and I'm guessing newer versions of android are possible more stable... I do get more app crashing then I feel like i should get.. and it is true that some apps (a few i use on my tablet) now only support android 4 or higher or features the app has are only available to better android versions.

So I could see that.

i was just curious what the average FBG did with his phone so I could see if there were features/apps that were fantastic that i was missing out on
I pretty much use my phone for exactly what you said, but battery life became a huge issue for me the last time I upgraded and the biggest reason I chose the phone I did (Droid Maxx). I was having to charge my phone halfway through the day without maximum usage. The Maxx does not have a removable battery, but I can go a whole day with max usage and almost 2 days with normal usage. I will probably not upgrade for quite a while unless battery life becomes an issue because none of the new phones excite me.

I don't use a computer at home any more
thats insane
yeah i really like using a keyboard for stuff and my wired internet connection is fantastic for downloading things, and I like all the hard drive space I have for things.

I don't think I'll be ditching a laptop/desktop anytime soon....

although I admit as things continue to improve i use my tablet/phone a lot more than i do use my desktop

Desktops are pretty much for storage, word processing, gaming, or photo/video editing.

Otherwise, I find myself laying in bed or on the couch with my phone most of the time.

I have the same problem with my Nexus 7 2013. Definitely something wrong with the microUSB port - my guess is that it was built a little too deep, and so after extensive usage it has gotten too deep to make a solid connection. I am able to get a connection if I fiddle with the plug a bit, but it is a very delicate one and I often lose connection without even touching.

I recently bought a Samsung Qi Charger which works great with the Nexus 7 2013 and actually charges very quickly. So you should be fine I think.

Desktops are pretty much for storage, word processing, gaming, or photo/video editing.

Otherwise, I find myself laying in bed or on the couch with my phone most of the time.
I agree that desktops/laptops are more for the types of things you are talking about.

Now I use my tablet a little more than my phone for a second screen during tv watching.

Although increasingly I'm using my phone as my tablet has truly become something i'm using more for strictly video purposes.. video on your phone sucks.

But I can't imagine not having a laptop/desktop... there are still a lot of things that are really clunky without a keyboard and full size windows based browser.

I agree that desktops/laptops are more for the types of things you are talking about.

Now I use my tablet a little more than my phone for a second screen during tv watching.

Although increasingly I'm using my phone as my tablet has truly become something i'm using more for strictly video purposes.. video on your phone sucks.

But I can't imagine not having a laptop/desktop... there are still a lot of things that are really clunky without a keyboard and full size windows based browser.
Agree with you. My laptop is already 3 years old, but I don't think I'll get one until it craps out. I'll probably buy a new tablet and/or phone before that.

I dont like to bash on apple because I had the iphone for years and it was awesome. Had they had the 6+ when I was looking for a new phone, I probably wouldnt have my note

But, the one thing that Samsung does that Apple does not is allow you to buy a new battery. This has become the biggest advantage now that I have had to buy one.

I said it before, my battery lost 10% in my pocket in an hour drive from home to work. Bought a new battery and now its been close to 4 full hours off the charger and Im at 92%

Thank you Samsung

I dont like to bash on apple because I had the iphone for years and it was awesome. Had they had the 6+ when I was looking for a new phone, I probably wouldnt have my note

But, the one thing that Samsung does that Apple does not is allow you to buy a new battery. This has become the biggest advantage now that I have had to buy one.

I said it before, my battery lost 10% in my pocket in an hour drive from home to work. Bought a new battery and now its been close to 4 full hours off the charger and Im at 92%

Thank you Samsung
Sweet glad it was simple. Did you check that it was under warranty. I think you get a year

Thank you Samsung
Sweet glad it was simple. Did you check that it was under warranty. I think you get a year
Nah, I just plucked down the 16 bucks on Amazon. Researching says that you need to order from Amazon to make sure you dont get a third party fake

Google Now is really getting freaky.

For those of you that spend a lot of time at FBG and hate the search function, just do a typical google search on your phone and it'll give you FBG options. I know there's a way to do that manually, but it's pretty cool.

Google Now is really getting freaky.

For those of you that spend a lot of time at FBG and hate the search function, just do a typical google search on your phone and it'll give you FBG options. I know there's a way to do that manually, but it's pretty cool.
You want to see freaky download Google Rewards.

IS there any firm dates on Note 4 release?

October 17th still is purported to be the hopeful date or based on rumors.

Jesus Christ, I can't get rid of this iphone 6 fast enough

Used to use Handcent, but it became extremely laggy and I went to Hangouts.

The top reason I use a 3rd party texting app is because I like being able to apply different notification sounds for different people that text me. I know when my wife, daughter, someone from work, umpire friends or other family members text me just by sound and know if I need to look at it right away or if it can wait for a better time to look at it.

I'm currently using this Verizon message+ for texting. Pretty good. Lots of ways to customize and I love the popout over the lock screen that I can reply from.

Nexus 9 announcement, preorder on 10/15, available on 11/3. This thing is going to be ridiculous, if anyone has been on the fence about a tablet or thinking of switching away from the iPad go check this out. Pricing starts at $399, which is double what the N7 was, but still $100 less than the iPad mini.

The refresh button has been in the menu sceeen for me for at least a month. Hated it at first. Im like whatever now

Nexus 9 announcement, preorder on 10/15, available on 11/3. This thing is going to be ridiculous, if anyone has been on the fence about a tablet or thinking of switching away from the iPad go check this out. Pricing starts at $399, which is double what the N7 was, but still $100 less than the iPad mini.
what does this do that a 199 chromebook can't. I might ditch tablets for a chromebook

what does this do that a 199 chromebook can't. I might ditch tablets for a chromebook
Probably not much. Just a better screen, processor, touch capability, more portable. They serve basically the same purpose, guess it depends which form factor you like better. I'm sure in the next 3-6 months there will be a Chromebook with similar specs, although probably not for $199.

I'm not a huge fan of the new refresh either, but I'm used to it now.

Does anyone know how to access search tools in chrome, like search by date?

On the results page tap on the More drop down menu, far right side of screen.

chauncey said:
Quez said:

On the results page tap on the More drop down menu, far right side of screen.
Cool thanks

I finally switched over from Google Voice to Hangouts and I like Hangouts better.

I was attracted to Google Voice because (1) I like having a phone number that I'll keep even if I switch carriers, and it's a cool phone number with "CHEESE" in it. (2) I like being able to have different voice-mail greetings based on which numbers are calling (business vs. personal). (3) I do about 85% of my texting from my desktop, 10% from my phone, and 5% from my tablet. Simply using my phone's native texting app would not allow me to text from my desktop or tablet. (4) I like the idea of keeping texts forever without running out of room, and having them all be searchable from whatever device I'm on at the moment.

The main drawbacks to Google Voice involved (1) group texts, (2) being unable to receive pictures, and (3) being unable to display other people's stupid emojis.

Hangouts solves all three of those problems, I think. I haven't received a group text yet, but it does accept texts with pictures and emojis. The drawback to Hangouts, as far as I can tell, is that you can't log into it and access it from a generic browser using HTML. You have to have an app or extension for it, whether on an Android device or Windows. Not a big deal since I use Chrome, but if I used IE I might not be able to access Hangouts on my desktop. (I'm not sure because I don't use IE.)

The drawback to Hangouts, as far as I can tell, is that you can't log into it and access it from a generic browser using HTML. You have to have an app or extension for it, whether on an Android device or Windows. Not a big deal since I use Chrome, but if I used IE I might not be able to access Hangouts on my desktop. (I'm not sure because I don't use IE.)
You can use it in gmail without an extension.

Users who are viewing this thread