What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cooking supplies - good AND bad (1 Viewer)

Spike

Footballguy
With the variety of cooking threads we have (chili, smoking, grilling), I thought it might be a good idea to start one whose focus would be on cooking inside. Specifically, what supplies (pots, pans, blenders, crock pots, utensils, etc) are your go-to items and what have you used that is crap.

I figure we could all benefit by each others experiences, both good and bad.

over the years I have purchased some Le Cruset dutch ovens and a braiser- expensive, but great versatility for pretty much anything, plus easy to clean. also, a cast iron skillet is a must as well.

My go-to items include:

• crock pot
  • hard flat-edged spatula (good for things like browning hamburg)
  • both small and large whisks
  • aluminum mixing bowls
Items that I either just don't like or that I haven't had work for me as others say they love:

• cast iron pan
  • blender (for cooking, it just sucks to get all the stuff out from the blades)

Calphalon :thumbup:

Sample collection: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028S7R58?psc=1

I don't have all of them but wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Have all sizes of pans which replaced cast iron, some bakewear casseroles. Actually also still use a lot of Revereware pots which just never seem to give trouble after 40 years.

I like using those large aluminum throwaway steam pans. Great for BBQ, both for prep work and for throwing slabs of ribs in after. They are large enough to hold a full slab. I can get 3-4 slabs of babybacks in them as well. Also use the heck out of them when I'm making home made french fries because I'm usually making them for a ton of people.

I usually wash them and reuse them. If they get too nasty just throw em in the recycle bin.

over the years I have purchased some Le Cruset dutch ovens and a braiser- expensive, but great versatility for pretty much anything, plus easy to clean. also, a cast iron skillet is a must as well.
they're the kind of cookware that you can really pass on to your kids, if you want. incredibly well made and durable.

I like using those large aluminum throwaway steam pans. Great for BBQ, both for prep work and for throwing slabs of ribs in after. They are large enough to hold a full slab. I can get 3-4 slabs of babybacks in them as well. Also use the heck out of them when I'm making home made french fries because I'm usually making them for a ton of people.

I usually wash them and reuse them. If they get too nasty just throw em in the recycle bin.
Love these as well. Bulk packs are available at Costco that are a no brainer. Get like 20 for the price of 3 at Kroger. :thumbup:

I rarely cook in something that's not either All Clad or Cast Iron.

Aluminum Mixing bowls are CHEAP at restaurant supply stores, compared to WalMart/Target/Etc. Actually that goes for a lot of things.

Super cheapo ice tongs. I use them in place of the bigger, fancier tongs for 90% of the things I do on the grill or kitchen. More precise, easier to use, and I have like 10 pair so I can flip veggies and raw chicken with separate ones and not cross-contaminate, etc. The only time I don't use them is if I'm cooking a big piece of meat where I need the added grabbing power and size of larger tongs. For flipping veggies, or even smaller things like chicken breasts, etc, these little tongs are my go-to.

What brand do you guys recommend for a chef knive?
cooks illustrated did review of carbon steel chef knives. there was only one recommended for less than $100: togiharu virgin carbon steel Gyutou.

that said, they still recommend the Victoronix 8" Fibrox mentioned earlier for performance and its $40 price tag.

Calphalon :thumbup:

Sample collection: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028S7R58?psc=1

I don't have all of them but wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Have all sizes of pans which replaced cast iron, some bakewear casseroles. Actually also still use a lot of Revereware pots which just never seem to give trouble after 40 years.
We got a set of these about 7 years ago. I loved them at first but was disappointed at their durability. We did everything we were supposed to do to take care of them yet they still started to scratch etc.

I did not replace the microwave oven when the last one conked out. I found I do not really need one.

I am glad I fought the urge to buy a bread machine. I get great bread from a bakery nearby.

You guys will probably laugh but one of the best bargains I've ever come across....

Ronco 6-Star Knife Set. Not kidding. Wife bought that same set for like $30 on a whim about 10 years ago. Figured we'd use them for a few years and then buy a "real" set.

Still have them and use them. Obviously they're not top-of-the-line but surprisingly durable and sharp enough for your average cook.

Super cheapo ice tongs. I use them in place of the bigger, fancier tongs for 90% of the things I do on the grill or kitchen. More precise, easier to use, and I have like 10 pair so I can flip veggies and raw chicken with separate ones and not cross-contaminate, etc. The only time I don't use them is if I'm cooking a big piece of meat where I need the added grabbing power and size of larger tongs. For flipping veggies, or even smaller things like chicken breasts, etc, these little tongs are my go-to.
I like tongs but never thought of ice tongs. Good idea.

I bought a cookware set when I first started cooking. Now, I buy individual pieces when they go on sale. Nothing matches but they work great when it comes to actually cooking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there are less expensive compables but I can't imagine life without my Vitamix. Pulvarizes anything I throw into it into a smoothie in seconds, useful for all sorts of other cooking application and super easy to clean.

And the Cuisanart food processor I bought at a yard sale 20 yrs ago for $25 still kicks ###.

Cast iron. New Lodge is great. Old is even better.

For so many other things, I swear Sam's ends up being an amazing buy. From cutting boards to knives to cheap triply skillets. Always good products at dirt cheap prices. If you need something, it always makes sense to check Sam's first. I assume Costco is similar.

Dexter Russell flexible spatulas to go with the cast iron.

Forgot the brand, but there's a 16 qt. stock pot on Amazon for about $30. Stainless with aluminum clad bottom. Perfect size for larger home uses.

For the stuff you're not already using your bare and enameled cast iron Dutch ovens for of course.

Mortar and pestle.

If you arent hand grinding fresh spices, you're not really cooking.

And yes, it really does make a HUGE difference

For so many other things, I swear Sam's ends up being an amazing buy. From cutting boards to knives to cheap triply skillets. Always good products at dirt cheap prices. If you need something, it always makes sense to check Sam's first. I assume Costco is similar.

Just got one of these Lodge enameled cast iron dutch ovens a couple months ago. Love it; it's smaller than my other one, but I find I use it more.

Nigel said:
Maybe there are less expensive compables but I can't imagine life without my Vitamix. Pulvarizes anything I throw into it into a smoothie in seconds, useful for all sorts of other cooking application and super easy to clean.

And the Cuisanart food processor I bought at a yard sale 20 yrs ago for $25 still kicks ###.
The Vitamix is great and is a bit of a luxury. A good food processor is mandatory.

Soulfly3 said:
Mortar and pestle.

If you arent hand grinding fresh spices, you're not really cooking.

And yes, it really does make a HUGE difference
Coffee grinder, after toasting the spices lightly, MUCH easier

Mr. Ected said:
pollardsvision said:

Just got one of these Lodge enameled cast iron dutch ovens a couple months ago. Love it; it's smaller than my other one, but I find I use it more.
I loved mine too, except after about 18 months the enamel cracked and chipped off.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
I've got a decent set of J. A. Henckle knives. I started with the block + like 4 knives and I've slowly built on them. Not cheap, but if you get them and a small sharpener, and you just use the fine sharpener from time to time to keep the edge, they're great. SUPER sharp. The steak knives are no joke. I'd NEVER give on to a kid...truthfully I might not even use one myself around a kid. My wife stabbed herself in the wrist with one accidentally while prepping some food and needed stitches.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
I've got a decent set of J. A. Henckle knives. I started with the block + like 4 knives and I've slowly built on them. Not cheap, but if you get them and a small sharpener, and you just use the fine sharpener from time to time to keep the edge, they're great. SUPER sharp. The steak knives are no joke. I'd NEVER give on to a kid...truthfully I might not even use one myself around a kid. My wife stabbed herself in the wrist with one accidentally while prepping some food and needed stitches.
Had Henckle's and moved on to Mac. Love this starter set.

I got this garlic press, which is very easy to clean, but I still chop garlic with my knife a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Epicurean-Garlic-Press/dp/B0000CD0HX
Ive used several different garlic presses (including this one) and found the pampered chef one to be the best. It has a plastic thingy that makes cleaning super-easy and no-mess.

Im pretty much a minimalist (like the article above) when it comes to cooking. Have a couple go-to pots/pans/knives that I use for everything.

I love my rice/quinoa cooker and use it all the time. Nice to not worry about the rice/quinoa while you're making the rest of the meal.

Mason jars - Ive taken to pickling everything (cukes, peppers, beets, onions, beans, etc) from the garden that I cant eat right away. Love having it all winter long.

Foil - I use it for most everything I roast/broil in the oven. Easy clean-up.

Cast Iron are a pain in the butt to clean, no? Especially a pot after making something big?
Not at all. For skillets and griddles, 90 % of the time, a simple wipe with a paper towel is all that's needed afterwards. For a dutch oven after a pot of beans or something, a quick rinse is all that's needed.

When I use water, I like to dry in the oven. Often will reapply a quick, light seasoning layer afterwards, but only about a third of the time.

I don't believe in too many of the rules you might hear about cast iron. Just use them alot and don't leave them wet.

I don't use soap, but I don't think it's a disaster if you do. You season it largely by using it, and continually build it up. Some soap or a harsh scrubbing isn't going to be too much of a problem.

I do think a problem most have with cast iron is probably not letting the pan pre-heat properly.

Cast iron only needs a very minimal layer of seasoning for eggs to glide around the pan, but without proper pre-heating, they might stick like glue (making cleaning a huge pain, and so on).

Mr. Ected said:
pollardsvision said:

I loved mine too, except after about 18 months the enamel cracked and chipped off.
I use Tramontina's. The enamel doesn't crack, but it definitely wears down. I figure that's just par for the course with China-made enameled cast iron (bare Lodge is made in TN, but the enameled is China).

It doesn't look great, but I don't think it hurts the performance much. Certainly not enough for me to want to drop $300 for a Le Creuset.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
Had Henckle's and moved on to Mac. Love this starter set.
This one is, honestly, better than my Henckle's knife. http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-8-Inch-Fibrox-Straight/dp/B008M5U1C2

I have this sharpener and couldn't be happier: http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Professional-Knife-Sharpening-Platinum/dp/B000CSK0DM/ref=sr_1_20?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1414597635&sr=1-20&keywords=knife+sharpener

Users who are viewing this thread