sho nuff

2016 Green Bay Packers thread

3,833 posts in this topic

Sabertooth your abiltity to hate evrything about your favorite team is an amazing skill.

McCarthy is such a terrible coach, I'm glad Rodgers has convinced TT to force him him to give up play-calling duties.

So terrible he has quite an awful record and his offenses have been terrible too right?

McCarthy is such a terrible coach, I'm glad Rodgers has convinced TT to force him him to give up play-calling duties.

So terrible he has quite an awful record and his offenses have been terrible too right?

great QBs make everyone look alot better

Great QBs like Matt Flynn?

How about back in NO with Aaron Brooks?

I agree that Rodgers has a lot to do with things...but I think some people fail to admit that McCarthy also has a lot to do with Rodgers' development.

To call a guy a bad play caller...whose offense has been top 10 every year...top 5 most years and number 1 twice in the past 8 years of playcalling in GB...is funny to me.

I agree that Rodgers has a lot to do with things...but I think some people fail to admit that McCarthy also has a lot to do with Rodgers' development.

To call a guy a bad play caller...whose offense has been top 10 every year...top 5 most years and number 1 twice in the past 8 years of playcalling in GB...is funny to me.

Do we know he had a lot to do with his development? Or is Rodgers making him look good?

Do we know he had a lot to do with his development? Or is Rodgers making him look good?

I think its hard to quantify...but his record as a playcaller in NO with Aaron Brooks made him look pretty good before Rodgers was ever a thought for him.

I think there is give and take and they fit each other quite well to make each other look good.

Sabertooth your abiltity to hate evrything about your favorite team is an amazing skill.

Bostick isn't part of my favorite team anymore. Glad he's gone. Next if they can somehow get capers out of there I'll be happy as a clam. Just because I like a team doesn't mean I can't watch them objectively.

Bulaga is replaceable.

Dumbest comment in this thread. You need to read Vic more often.

You get the big guys first - and you don't let them go. I expect Bulaga to be retained before any other free agent this year - including Cobb, unless Bulaga's salary expectations are way out of whack. Rodgers can operate with any po-dunk WRs, but you need solid offensive line talent to protect Rodgers and push people around in the running game.

The thread has like 15 posts and you are wrong on Bulaga. Average and replaceable.

Yea, there's so many 26-year old first-round talent tackles out there in free agency that graded out over +20 on PFF last year. I mean, there's SO MANY. Like. NONE. LOL.

Considering the tackles in Bulaga's absence graded out at -17.2 the year he was out, I think you're GROSSLY INCORRECT.

Oh yea, the year Bulaga was out Rodgers had among the league leaders in being sacked. Where was he at last year? Oh, yea, 24th.

You're just so wrong it's laughable. I know offensive lineman aren't as sexy as WRs, but he's the correct priority.

Average and replaceable

Don't forget Hawk. Addition by subtraction

Hawk is maybe their third best linebacker.

Speaking of Things That Won't Happen, what if Baltimore cut Haloti Ngata (counts like $15m against their cap) and GB signed him for something like $12m over two years. Yeah, that would be cool.

1 person likes this

Jones is fungible for sure. Just a guy.

There's not enough respect for these lower tier players. He played in 76 games being a 7th round pick. That's still an impressive find by Ted. I thank him for his playing time.

As I am still catching up on who is/might be out there in free agency... we know GB won't sign Julius Thomas, but what about Charles Clay? I expect Miami to keep him but he could duplicate Finley's numbers in GB (~60 catches) and is a solid run blocker, at probably a third of Thomas's price.

peppers gunna be back?

More than likely. McCarthy said they want him back no matter the price

They already know Peppers' price if they aren't tearing up last year's contract.

He will play fewer snaps... which raises further questions about the LB position.

peppers gunna be back?

More than likely. McCarthy said they want him back no matter the price

Yea Peppers isn't going anywhere. His play last year certainly validated the contract they gave him. I'm shocked he's as productive as he is given his age... total machine. I don't think his snaps will decrease - he was already playing on a semi-rotational basis. They were constantly shuffling the linebackers in and around to keep them fresh.

Makes me wonder what would have happened had the player fallen to the Packers last year that I had wanted the most - CJ Mosley. He only needed to fall three more spots!!! And he would have been an instant pro-bowl caliber inside linebacker, leaving Matthews/Peppers to be fully effective outside. The Seahawks (and other games) likely would have been a lot different.

Edited by Phenomena

They already know Peppers' price if they aren't tearing up last year's contract.

He will play fewer snaps... which raises further questions about the LB position.

OLB is pretty set.

Unless they cut Peppers or Perry.

Neal, Peppers, Matthews, Perry.

Fewer steps or not...zero questions bout OLB unless they cut someone to save cap space.

OLB is pretty set.

Unless they cut Peppers or Perry.

Neal, Peppers, Matthews, Perry.

Fewer steps or not...zero questions bout OLB unless they cut someone to save cap space.

That's OLB. There is an obnoxiously glaring weakness at ILB right now. Jones is gone, Hawk is ineffective and overpaid, rest are unproven or replacement level (Barrington/Bradford).

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers draft multiple LBs, or sign one and get another in free agency. That's one thing about the 3-4 defense - you can't have ever have too many linebackers. But they don't even have enough right now, let alone more than enough.

My point was tha Peppers playing fewer snaps doesn't change much of anything. Of course there is a huge hole at olb right now.

Barrington is green and alright.

Any chance getting Maualuga? Get the old USC combo back together.

Good. He's a bum.

lol - what a jackass you are!

The jackass is Bostick. He tweets like he is still in the NFL. FIRST three years? More like only three. No chance he gets another shot at TE somewhere and who wants the hero who can't do his job on special teams. Screw Bostick.

The Vikings claimed Bostick less than a day after he was waived.

Slocum's last words before the on-side kick:

Don’t blame Slocum: If you want to blame former Green Bay Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum for the botched onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game loss to the Seattle Seahawks, you should know this: According to a person familiar with Slocum’s instructions on the sideline, one of the last things he told his hands team before the play was this: "If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball." Of course, we all know that Brandon Bostick, who was released earlier this week, tried to catch it and failed, allowing the Seahawks to recover. Two weeks later Slocum, whose special teams units were problematic all season and allowed the Seahawks to run a fake field goal for a touchdown, was fired.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

Don’t blame Slocum: If you want to blame former Green Bay Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum for the botched onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game loss to the Seattle Seahawks, you should know this: According to a person familiar with Slocum’s instructions on the sideline, one of the last things he told his hands team before the play was this: "If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball." Of course, we all know that Brandon Bostick, who was released earlier this week, tried to catch it and failed, allowing the Seahawks to recover. Two weeks later Slocum, whose special teams units were problematic all season and allowed the Seahawks to run a fake field goal for a touchdown, was fired.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

That play was just icing on the cake. Slocum's special teams were consistently bad. Don't have to dig far to see that, especially with the blocks last season.

That said, I've been reading that some of the schemes they run and personnel they pursue to fit them makes it harder to field consistently solid special teams.

It will be interesting to see how it changes this season.

Starting to think Eric Kendricks LB UCLA is their guy in RD1.

Checks the need and character box that are TT requirements. Three year starter, great film, Butkus award winner. Yet has probably B level athleticism which may allow him to fall to the bottom of RD 1.

Would be kinda sweet to come back in RD 2 and get Denzel Perryman. Add a 2 down thumper bad*** next to Kendricks.

Good. He's a bum.

The jackass is Bostick. He tweets like he is still in the NFL. FIRST three years? More like only three. No chance he gets another shot at TE somewhere and who wants the hero who can't do his job on special teams. Screw Bostick.

Bridgewater to Bostick sounds like a lethal combo. Lock the Vikings up for the NFC North.

While that may be true why wasn't he telling the special teams to watch the fake on that fake FG play? To me that was a bigger blunder than the onside kick. The Seahawks saw a tendency for the end (Brad Jones) to crash hard inside (even though his didn't ever block a kick doing this) and took advantage of it. That's on Slocum for either teaching that or not correcting an obvious mistake.

While that may be true why wasn't he telling the special teams to watch the fake on that fake FG play? To me that was a bigger blunder than the onside kick. The Seahawks saw a tendency for the end (Brad Jones) to crash hard inside (even though his didn't ever block a kick doing this) and took advantage of it. That's on Slocum for either teaching that or not correcting an obvious mistake.

:goodposting:

I've heard that he put the FG Block on. That right there should have been enough to get his ### fired.

That play was just icing on the cake. Slocum's special teams were consistently bad. Don't have to dig far to see that, especially with the blocks last season.

That said, I've been reading that some of the schemes they run and personnel they pursue to fit them makes it harder to field consistently solid special teams.

I agree. Slocum deserved to be fired based on his body of work throughout the season. McCarthy said that they will be using more starters on special teams.

Good. He's a bum.

Excellent! He's still a bum. That's like winning a tallest midget contest.

Good. He's a bum.

Excellent! He's still a bum. That's like winning a tallest midget contest.

That guy is Bucky "#######" Dent and Bill Buckner all rolled into one as far as I'm ever concerned.

Edited by -CE-
1 person likes this

I agree. Slocum deserved to be fired based on his body of work throughout the season. McCarthy said that they will be using more starters on special teams.

Now watch a starter get hurt on special teams. Bleh. Nothing was wrong with the personnel or play design - it was just a boneheaded play by Bostick. Dumb knee-jerk reactions.

That said Slocum also messed up the fake-field goal. How do you not have the guys prepped for that? Embarrassing.

Reports are Cobb seeiing a deal averaing 9mil/year.

Structure it right and that seems doable.

Looks like Cobb is going to be a free agent!

I sincerely hope they do not spend $9M/year on a wide receiver - no matter whom. Rodgers can make it work with one #1WR (Nelson) and any other WR core in the league. QBs make the WRs, not the other way around.

Brady won all four Super Bowls with no-names at WR. Edelman was not even invited to the combine the year he was drafted, and he was drafted in the 7th round. He's also getting paid $4M per year. Edelman is great because of Brady.

Save that money for the big boys - re-signing Bulaga and bolstering the defensive line.

I'm softening my stance a bit on Cobb's re-signing. I think the $7.5M they are carrying over from last year's cap really helps the chances that both Cobb and Bulaga will be re-signed (even if it's for more than I think they are worth). Both deals could come at near position-highs classifying Cobb as WR2 and Bulaga as RT).

Well Hawk was just released

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/25/a-j-hawk-released-after-nine-seasons-with-the-green-bay-packers/

“I spent nine great years in Green Bay. I had awesome teammates and coaches and a great medical staff and equipment staff. Many of them have become my closest friends. We won a ton of games, as well as a Super Bowl, and I loved everything about playing for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports. The fans in Green Bay are incredible. Between playing at Lambeau Field as well as seeing them on the road, they always supported us. I am looking forward to my next opportunity in the NFL, but I’ll always cherish my years as a Green Bay Packer.”
Edited by TDorBust

Never a terrible player, but never great. Solid and unspectacular but had a nice several years in GB. Good luck to him.

Any potential for him getting resigned for a more reasonable amount?