What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (4 Viewers)

Speaking of Things That Won't Happen, what if Baltimore cut Haloti Ngata (counts like $15m against their cap) and GB signed him for something like $12m over two years. Yeah, that would be cool.

As I am still catching up on who is/might be out there in free agency... we know GB won't sign Julius Thomas, but what about Charles Clay? I expect Miami to keep him but he could duplicate Finley's numbers in GB (~60 catches) and is a solid run blocker, at probably a third of Thomas's price.

They already know Peppers' price if they aren't tearing up last year's contract.

He will play fewer snaps... which raises further questions about the LB position.

peppers gunna be back?
More than likely. McCarthy said they want him back no matter the price
Yea Peppers isn't going anywhere. His play last year certainly validated the contract they gave him. I'm shocked he's as productive as he is given his age... total machine. I don't think his snaps will decrease - he was already playing on a semi-rotational basis. They were constantly shuffling the linebackers in and around to keep them fresh.

Makes me wonder what would have happened had the player fallen to the Packers last year that I had wanted the most - CJ Mosley. He only needed to fall three more spots!!! And he would have been an instant pro-bowl caliber inside linebacker, leaving Matthews/Peppers to be fully effective outside. The Seahawks (and other games) likely would have been a lot different.

Last edited by a moderator:
They already know Peppers' price if they aren't tearing up last year's contract.

He will play fewer snaps... which raises further questions about the LB position.
OLB is pretty set.

Unless they cut Peppers or Perry.

Neal, Peppers, Matthews, Perry.

Fewer steps or not...zero questions bout OLB unless they cut someone to save cap space.

OLB is pretty set.

Unless they cut Peppers or Perry.

Neal, Peppers, Matthews, Perry.

Fewer steps or not...zero questions bout OLB unless they cut someone to save cap space.
That's OLB. There is an obnoxiously glaring weakness at ILB right now. Jones is gone, Hawk is ineffective and overpaid, rest are unproven or replacement level (Barrington/Bradford).

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers draft multiple LBs, or sign one and get another in free agency. That's one thing about the 3-4 defense - you can't have ever have too many linebackers. But they don't even have enough right now, let alone more than enough.

My point was tha Peppers playing fewer snaps doesn't change much of anything. Of course there is a huge hole at olb right now.

Barrington is green and alright.

Slocum's last words before the on-side kick:

Don’t blame Slocum: If you want to blame former Green Bay Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum for the botched onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game loss to the Seattle Seahawks, you should know this: According to a person familiar with Slocum’s instructions on the sideline, one of the last things he told his hands team before the play was this: "If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball." Of course, we all know that Brandon Bostick, who was released earlier this week, tried to catch it and failed, allowing the Seahawks to recover. Two weeks later Slocum, whose special teams units were problematic all season and allowed the Seahawks to run a fake field goal for a touchdown, was fired.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

Don’t blame Slocum: If you want to blame former Green Bay Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum for the botched onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game loss to the Seattle Seahawks, you should know this: According to a person familiar with Slocum’s instructions on the sideline, one of the last things he told his hands team before the play was this: "If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball." Of course, we all know that Brandon Bostick, who was released earlier this week, tried to catch it and failed, allowing the Seahawks to recover. Two weeks later Slocum, whose special teams units were problematic all season and allowed the Seahawks to run a fake field goal for a touchdown, was fired.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers
That play was just icing on the cake. Slocum's special teams were consistently bad. Don't have to dig far to see that, especially with the blocks last season.

That said, I've been reading that some of the schemes they run and personnel they pursue to fit them makes it harder to field consistently solid special teams.

It will be interesting to see how it changes this season.

Starting to think Eric Kendricks LB UCLA is their guy in RD1.

Checks the need and character box that are TT requirements. Three year starter, great film, Butkus award winner. Yet has probably B level athleticism which may allow him to fall to the bottom of RD 1.

Would be kinda sweet to come back in RD 2 and get Denzel Perryman. Add a 2 down thumper bad*** next to Kendricks.

Good. He's a bum.
lol - what a jackass you are!
The jackass is Bostick. He tweets like he is still in the NFL. FIRST three years? More like only three. No chance he gets another shot at TE somewhere and who wants the hero who can't do his job on special teams. Screw Bostick.
The Vikings claimed Bostick less than a day after he was waived.
Bridgewater to Bostick sounds like a lethal combo. Lock the Vikings up for the NFC North.

While that may be true why wasn't he telling the special teams to watch the fake on that fake FG play? To me that was a bigger blunder than the onside kick. The Seahawks saw a tendency for the end (Brad Jones) to crash hard inside (even though his didn't ever block a kick doing this) and took advantage of it. That's on Slocum for either teaching that or not correcting an obvious mistake.

While that may be true why wasn't he telling the special teams to watch the fake on that fake FG play? To me that was a bigger blunder than the onside kick. The Seahawks saw a tendency for the end (Brad Jones) to crash hard inside (even though his didn't ever block a kick doing this) and took advantage of it. That's on Slocum for either teaching that or not correcting an obvious mistake.
:goodposting:

I've heard that he put the FG Block on. That right there should have been enough to get his ### fired.

That play was just icing on the cake. Slocum's special teams were consistently bad. Don't have to dig far to see that, especially with the blocks last season.

That said, I've been reading that some of the schemes they run and personnel they pursue to fit them makes it harder to field consistently solid special teams.

I agree. Slocum deserved to be fired based on his body of work throughout the season. McCarthy said that they will be using more starters on special teams.

Good. He's a bum.
The jackass is Bostick. He tweets like he is still in the NFL. FIRST three years? More like only three. No chance he gets another shot at TE somewhere and who wants the hero who can't do his job on special teams. Screw Bostick.
Excellent! He's still a bum. That's like winning a tallest midget contest.

Good. He's a bum.
Excellent! He's still a bum. That's like winning a tallest midget contest.
That guy is Bucky "#######" Dent and Bill Buckner all rolled into one as far as I'm ever concerned.

KingPrawn said:
Man in the yellow hat said:

I agree. Slocum deserved to be fired based on his body of work throughout the season. McCarthy said that they will be using more starters on special teams.
Now watch a starter get hurt on special teams. Bleh. Nothing was wrong with the personnel or play design - it was just a boneheaded play by Bostick. Dumb knee-jerk reactions.

That said Slocum also messed up the fake-field goal. How do you not have the guys prepped for that? Embarrassing.

Reports are Cobb seeiing a deal averaing 9mil/year.

Structure it right and that seems doable.
Looks like Cobb is going to be a free agent!

I sincerely hope they do not spend $9M/year on a wide receiver - no matter whom. Rodgers can make it work with one #1WR (Nelson) and any other WR core in the league. QBs make the WRs, not the other way around.

Brady won all four Super Bowls with no-names at WR. Edelman was not even invited to the combine the year he was drafted, and he was drafted in the 7th round. He's also getting paid $4M per year. Edelman is great because of Brady.

Save that money for the big boys - re-signing Bulaga and bolstering the defensive line.
I'm softening my stance a bit on Cobb's re-signing. I think the $7.5M they are carrying over from last year's cap really helps the chances that both Cobb and Bulaga will be re-signed (even if it's for more than I think they are worth). Both deals could come at near position-highs classifying Cobb as WR2 and Bulaga as RT).

Well Hawk was just released

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/25/a-j-hawk-released-after-nine-seasons-with-the-green-bay-packers/

“I spent nine great years in Green Bay. I had awesome teammates and coaches and a great medical staff and equipment staff. Many of them have become my closest friends. We won a ton of games, as well as a Super Bowl, and I loved everything about playing for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports. The fans in Green Bay are incredible. Between playing at Lambeau Field as well as seeing them on the road, they always supported us. I am looking forward to my next opportunity in the NFL, but I’ll always cherish my years as a Green Bay Packer.”

Never a terrible player, but never great. Solid and unspectacular but had a nice several years in GB. Good luck to him.

Well Hawk was just released

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/25/a-j-hawk-released-after-nine-seasons-with-the-green-bay-packers/

“I spent nine great years in Green Bay. I had awesome teammates and coaches and a great medical staff and equipment staff. Many of them have become my closest friends. We won a ton of games, as well as a Super Bowl, and I loved everything about playing for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports. The fans in Green Bay are incredible. Between playing at Lambeau Field as well as seeing them on the road, they always supported us. I am looking forward to my next opportunity in the NFL, but I’ll always cherish my years as a Green Bay Packer.”
what to do with my AJ Hawk jersey now... hmmm....

I like the release of Hawk. Clearly he never played to his expectations for draft position, but worse, he never played to his contract value. Not a bad player, but a bad business decision. The money is better spent elsewhere if one wants bang for the buck, and today's NFL is all about having your cap dollars produce maximum bang for the buck. Good luck to him.

The glaring weakness at ILB just became a black hole. The Packers are going to have to make multiple moves to fill the ILB positions. I would not be surprised if they drafted multiple and added one free agency. They are not going to waste Matthews' talent playing ILB rotations all year.

Following a team that rarely makes desperate or stupid offseason moves can sure be boring, but this is about as crazy as things get in Green Bay.

Following a team that rarely makes desperate or stupid offseason moves can sure be boring, but this is about as crazy as things get in Green Bay.
Not all that crazy of a move and was pretty much expected.
The whole "Matthews inside" thing was the writing on the wall. Ted knew mid-year that Hawk would be released after the season.

The part that sucks is he's cut instead of playing out his contract - so he won't count for compensatory picks if he's signed by another team. Even a free 6th would have been nice... Ted has found contributors that late.

I am now 99% certain that Cobb, Bulaga will both be re-signed soon, and Hayward will likely receive an extension at some point before the end of next season.

The whole "Matthews inside" thing was the writing on the wall. Ted knew mid-year that Hawk would be released after the season.

The part that sucks is he's cut instead of playing out his contract - so he won't count for compensatory picks if he's signed by another team. Even a free 6th would have been nice... Ted has found contributors that late.

I am now 99% certain that Cobb, Bulaga will both be re-signed soon, and Hayward will likely receive an extension at some point before the end of next season.
The last statement is what this is about.

Saves $3.5 mil and they need to try and sign Cobb and Bulaga and sign House or tramon as well.

This news has literally no effect on my expectations for Conn or Bulaga. Hawk was always going to be cut - this isn't news, it isn't just confirmation of what everyone knew would happen.The cut of Hawk, the cut of Jones, the $23M of cap space, the extra $7.5M carried over from last year.....this was all part of the math behind why TT would keep Cobb and Bulaga (if feasibl - there is always the chance either one has absurd contract demands).

Extending Hayward is a possibility, but frankly he isn't a slam dunk. He has to prove he can stay healthy and contribute as more than a slot DB. I'm a fan, but my guess is Ted makes him play this year before extending him.

Randall Cobb rumors: Packers to let WR test NFL free agency

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/2/26/8114385/randall-cobb-rumors-contract-packers-nfl-free-agent-jaguars

I can't say I blame them - Cobb must not be relenting from his asking price, and $9M is a LOT to pay for a second WR. On one hand, I don't see why a team with the best QB in the league would pay the most for a WR core - Rodgers can make it work with just about anyone. On the other hand, Ron Wolf said he didn't do enough to surround Favre with a solid supporting cast, mainly including the WRs ... so maybe it's worth it to splurge a bit on the offensive weapons.

But if they don't re-sign him, what the heck are they doing with $32M in cap space? Only ~$8M is needed for the draft class. Another $6-8M for Bulaga... still leaves $16M unspent, and not many other ways to spend it. Hayward isn't up for an extension yet, House isn't going to cost much to retain (if they even want to retain him), and there's not many free agents that fit the Packers needs.

I think they are hoping that players like Dez hit free agency so the market is saturated with WRs and Cobb's asking price is lowered, then they'll re-sign him for less than $8M. Seems like a dangerous game to play over ~$1-2M per year for one of the most explosive players the Packers have had play for them the last decade.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/2/26/8114385/randall-cobb-rumors-contract-packers-nfl-free-agent-jaguars

I can't say I blame them - Cobb must not be relenting from his asking price, and $9M is a LOT to pay for a second WR. On one hand, I don't see why a team with the best QB in the league would pay the most for a WR core - Rodgers can make it work with just about anyone. On the other hand, Ron Wolf said he didn't do enough to surround Favre with a solid supporting cast, mainly including the WRs ... so maybe it's worth it to splurge a bit on the offensive weapons.

But if they don't re-sign him, what the heck are they doing with $32M in cap space? Only ~$8M is needed for the draft class. Another $6-8M for Bulaga... still leaves $16M unspent.
As said in the other thread on him...does anyone think this is anything more than posturing, likely be his agent?

It started as a small bullet point in LaC's free agent tidbits and will blow up. Seems typical for this time of year.

Just like Shields was gone...FA was about to start and no way the Packers would si....oh wait, they signed him.

The Jags? If he goes there for a little more than GB would offer him, he is a moron.

But if they don't re-sign him, what the heck are they doing with $32M in cap space? Only ~$8M is needed for the draft class. Another $6-8M for Bulaga... still leaves $16M unspent.
As said in the other thread on him...does anyone think this is anything more than posturing, likely be his agent?

It started as a small bullet point in LaC's free agent tidbits and will blow up. Seems typical for this time of year.

Just like Shields was gone...FA was about to start and no way the Packers would si....oh wait, they signed him.

The Jags? If he goes there for a little more than GB would offer him, he is a moron.
You are right .. we shouldn't worry care about all these teasers. It's probably posturing from both sides.

You are right .. we shouldn't worry care about all these teasers. It's probably posturing from both sides.
I think there is always a bit of worry when it comes to a talented guy like Cobb.

But when i hear Jax or Oak going after him...I almost laugh.

They better blow GB's offer completely out of the water (or what GB has stated is their range)

The glaring weakness at ILB just became a black hole. The Packers are going to have to make multiple moves to fill the ILB positions. I would not be surprised if they drafted multiple and added one free agency. They are not going to waste Matthews' talent playing ILB rotations all year.
To be fair, we've had a glaring hole at ILB for several seasons now.

Users who are viewing this thread