What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (4 Viewers)

Just Win Baby said:
Zyphros said:
Just Win Baby said:
When he was drafted, the known concerns based on his college performance were these:

Pass protection

Receiving

Fumbling

How would he play behind a weak OL?

It has only been 6 games, but all of those concerns have been validated. He has been terrible in pass protection and obviously has a fumbling problem. He has been okay as a receiver, but there are still two RBs on the team who are much better in Woodhead and Oliver. And his 3.8 ypc illustrates that he is not very good behind a poor OL.

On that last point, some may point out that Woodhead is averaging 3.7 ypc and Oliver is averaging 3.1. But here's the thing: shouldn't a RB worth trading up and drafting in the first round be outperforming guys like Woodhead and Oliver by a bigger margin? Especially when he was known to have some of those concerns above but was drafted specifically for his rushing ability, with the intent that he would carry the running game?

I think he will get better if the OL ever gets healthy and has an opportunity to gel, but that could be said about Woodhead and Oliver as well.

Very disappointing start to his career. Hope he can turn it around.
He's 1 long carry away every game from consistently being in the 4.0+ ypc category. I'd say he just hasn't had the volume to get that 1 run it takes to boost his ypc yet. It's hard on ~10 touches a game to break a long one that's going to do something to boost the numbers.
This makes no sense. Gordon is tied for second in the league in 20+ yard runs. That fact is the reason his ypc isn't worse.
The line is barely even competent right now and he 1. is 2nd in the league with those runs like you said and 2. Once the line improves at the very least you have to believe he will continue to get long runs because that's exactly what he's done. He's proven in that regard so there isn't a reason to believe he won't continue that with a healthy o-line.

I agree it's the reason his ypc isn't worse, but again it's on limited touches, and it's also the reason for optimism in my mind. A healthy o-line improves the chances he breaks more long ones and is more consistent, and like EBF said, it's too early to write the book on him.

it's too early to write the book on him.
I don't think anyone is doing that. The only thing we really know after 6 games is that those who expected him to perform like an elite running back from day one were wrong. Maybe he can one day perform like one, but he has a lot of areas to improve to get there.

I just don't see anyway the Chargers make it through the full 16 game season not finding a way to get this kid 20-25 touches per and see what he can do. They traded up for him, gotta see if he's the man. Fumbles or not.

I have to confess that I didn't like Gordon before the draft and was surpised he went in the first round,

I took a look and saw how he's struggled and have to guess Gordon owners are frustrated so I'm starting to dig to see if their is anything here in case an owner is looking to bale and I can get a bargain.

Question for anyone who took him. What did you like about him when you took him?

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason I simply did not like what I saw leading up to the draft. Now that we've got a chance to see him, he's struggles and put the ball on the ground but I think one thing that isn't his fault but has lead to him not getting many touches is how incredible that Rivers is playing right now. So if Gordon puts the ball on the ground the coaches will have a quicker hook but if the passing attack slows down they won't be as hasty to take away his touches.

I would like to hear the case why people liked this guy so-much when they took him because I sense a bargain, that is if Gordon is special so why did people like Melvin Gordon so much in the first place?

Guys,

I have no RBs (Martin/Blount) and in win now (Luck/Dez/Gronk/Hopk/Evans).

I have a sure top 3 pick next year (he's 0-6 now), most likely 1.01 or 1.02.

Should I trade to get Melvin Gordon or try anyway and pick top RB next year (Zeeke/Henry)?

Appreciate the advice!

Guys,

Should I trade to get Melvin Gordon or try anyway and pick top RB next year (Zeeke/Henry)?

Appreciate the advice!
If it meant trading the pick for Gordon, I'd wait. It's unlikely he breaks out before year-end and that pick will only gain in value leading up to the draft. Then you have more flexibility.

I just don't see anyway the Chargers make it through the full 16 game season not finding a way to get this kid 20-25 touches per and see what he can do. They traded up for him, gotta see if he's the man. Fumbles or not.
Unless he really can't do it. Maybe the Chargers made an error and now regret spending a first round pick on him? Either way that is a sunk cost.

I have to confess that I didn't like Gordon before the draft and was surpised he went in the first round,

I took a look and saw how he's struggled and have to guess Gordon owners are frustrated so I'm starting to dig to see if their is anything here in case an owner is looking to bale and I can get a bargain.

Question for anyone who took him. What did you like about him when you took him?

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason I simply did not like what I saw leading up to the draft. Now that we've got a chance to see him, he's struggles and put the ball on the ground but I think one thing that isn't his fault but has lead to him not getting many touches is how incredible that Rivers is playing right now. So if Gordon puts the ball on the ground the coaches will have a quicker hook but if the passing attack slows down they won't be as hasty to take away his touches.

I would like to hear the case why people liked this guy so-much when they took him because I sense a bargain, that is if Gordon is special so why did people like Melvin Gordon so much in the first place?
I liked him because he was big enough, quick enough and ran with good vision. That said, I now hate his landing spot. Woodhead is solid and will be in the mix next season too, and San Diego is passing well, why would they move away from that? Also now we see that he has trouble fumbling and he isn't a great blocker or pass catcher. I hoped he would become a poor mans Jamaal Charles but now I'm worried his flaws are worse than we all thought and that these flaws and his landing spot will keep him in a RBBC the next two years minimally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

Appreciate the advice!
If it meant trading the pick for Gordon, I'd wait. It's unlikely he breaks out before year-end and that pick will only gain in value leading up to the draft. Then you have more flexibility.
I would rather have a great first round pick right now than Gordon.

I really thought this guy would mirror Todd Gurley's production this year (except for the fact that Woodhead is better competition than Mason and Cunningham).

Is this really a Gordon problem or a situational problem? Gurley seems to have the better situation and more trust (granted he's earned it but he doesn't get pulled for Cunningham just bc a run play got broken up).
Gurley is just that much better.
Yes no doubt. And the Rams had Tre Mason who was coming off a respectable season. Great players, take the opportunity no matter how small and make the most of it and usually never look back. Gordon just isn't great.

I really thought this guy would mirror Todd Gurley's production this year (except for the fact that Woodhead is better competition than Mason and Cunningham).

Is this really a Gordon problem or a situational problem? Gurley seems to have the better situation and more trust (granted he's earned it but he doesn't get pulled for Cunningham just bc a run play got broken up).
Yes no doubt. And the Rams had Tre Mason who was coming off a respectable season. Great players, take the opportunity no matter how small and make the most of it and usually never look back. Gordon just isn't great.
Gordon was overrated for sure. I still think he's shown running talent, though. This system just isn't a very good fit for him right now. It's pass heavy and he is a liability in the passing game. The oline has been bad in the run game.

Gordon was overrated for sure. I still think he's shown running talent, though. This system just isn't a very good fit for him right now. It's pass heavy and he is a liability in the passing game. The oline has been bad in the run game.
He has running talent for sure but there is so much more to being a good RB. It's similar to C-Mike in some ways. When you watch him break off a long run it makes you think he has the talent to be a stud, but can he block, not fumble and learn the playbook, and then does he land in an offense that can run the football? It is probably too early to give up on Gordon in a dynasty league but if your goal is to win over the next 2-3 years, I fear Gordon is not going to take you there, while Gurley will if he stays healthy.

Heard audio from McCoy's press conference yesterday on my way in to work this morning. The media was questioning him about how he used Gordon in the game Sunday, and one of his comments was something along these lines: "Look, I have said from day one that my approach is to use a committee of running backs." Then he followed that with some BS about gameplan for opponent, etc. He didn't say anything about Gordon being less than 100%.

The hosts reacted to it by saying, you draft a RB in the 5th round to play in a committee, not in the first round. I have to agree. Given Woodhead's presence, and Oliver's to a lesser degree, this is exactly why I thought it was a bad move to trade up and draft Gordon in the first place.

Fortunately for Gordon fantasy owners, McCoy's seat is getting pretty hot right now. If things don't turn around this year, he and his committee approach might be on the street.

I liked him because he was big enough, quick enough and ran with good vision. That said, I now hate his landing spot. Woodhead is solid and will be in the mix next season too, and San Diego is passing well, why would they move away from that? Also now we see that he has trouble fumbling and he isn't a great blocker or pass catcher. I hoped he would become a poor mans Jamaal Charles but now I'm worried his flaws are worse than we all thought and that these flaws and his landing spot will keep him in a RBBC the next two years minimally.
Yeah, Woodhead is killing right now.

Per Gordon. I can't put my finger on why I didn't like him but I heard the buzz and was looking forward to seeing him and caught a game where he ran for big yards but he didn't impress me for 'whatever' reason. He did his job but I didn't see one specific thing that stood out about him. I thought of the Bobby Bowfinger line 'She was like a zip code in Kansas. Good but didn't have IT.'

Brandon Oliver is out for the rest of the season. Might mean an extra series/game or so. The Bears are 28 in run defense. I think it's 50/50 Gordon gets in the endzone tonight.

Brandon Oliver is out for the rest of the season. Might mean an extra series/game or so. The Bears are 28 in run defense. I think it's 50/50 Gordon gets in the endzone tonight.
the browns were 32 against the run and that didn't work out too good for dancing feet Jeremy. this from a bitter person of course...

the browns were 32 against the run and that didn't work out too good for dancing feet Jeremy. this from a bitter person of course...
Hope the 5 weeks that have passed since have been used to fix some of the problems. 5 catches last week and 18 carries. Not bad. Do that tonight and he'll put up some good FF numbers.

Hope the 5 weeks that have passed since have been used to fix some of the problems. 5 catches last week and 18 carries. Not bad. Do that tonight and he'll put up some good FF numbers.
5 catches for 7 yards and 18 carries for 54 yards is indeed bad. And that was with the team stubbornly keeping Woodhead on the bench, which probably cost them the game. I do not expect Woodhead to be so limited again tonight.

I'm not sure what to expect for this game. I'm a Bears homer and Rivers can easily pick apart the defensive backs, even without Keenan Allen. But the defensive line of the Bears has been playing well and the Chargers injuries are piling up, especially on the O-line. I think Gordon gets in the endzone, and Marquess Wilson has a decent game.

5 catches for 7 yards and 18 carries for 54 yards is indeed bad. And that was with the team stubbornly keeping Woodhead on the bench, which probably cost them the game. I do not expect Woodhead to be so limited again tonight.
Yeah I should qualify what I was saying. Not bad for Gordon given his year, particularly after suffering through an injury and/or benching for fumbling.

Trying to look at this glass half full but I agree there's not much evidence for the optimism.

I'll take 18 carries and 5 catches tonight. If he does, it'll be better production than against the Ravens.

I get this feeling they just don't trust him ...
Just about every time Gordon is in the game, Rivers is explaining something to him. That was also the case with the WRs, but they're patchwork guys, not the starting RB. Gordon is having trouble getting the game, the playbook, I think. Might be why he disappears for a while (plus Woodhead is playing well). Maybe he's just a little slower than others. Maybe the SD offense is complicated. Rivers seems to be audible a lot.

So how should we view Gordon going forward in redraft? In my mind he is essentially a Woodhead handcuff but what I am trying to figure out is how valuable he will be if Woodhead gets hurt? Is he higher or lower than other handcuffs like David Johnson, Coleman or Simms? My gut says he is less valuable than Simms and Johnson as they produce more with less than Gordon does. I am not sure about Coleman.

Pearl Frumpkin said:
So how should we view Gordon going forward in redraft? In my mind he is essentially a Woodhead handcuff but what I am trying to figure out is how valuable he will be if Woodhead gets hurt? Is he higher or lower than other handcuffs like David Johnson, Coleman or Simms? My gut says he is less valuable than Simms and Johnson as they produce more with less than Gordon does. I am not sure about Coleman.
I have similar questions. Is he worth holding over the bye? Am I better off putting a claim for Joique Bell or James White?

Essentially the only thing saving Gordon at all is the 15+ touches he usually gets but he gets pulled out in the RZ and hasn't been able to break a long TD run with the state of the Chargers offensive line.

Pearl Frumpkin said:
If Woodhead goes down, Donald Brown will take most of his snaps. Brown is actually the best pass protecting RB on the team. Mike McCoy is a running back committee coach, and that is how the offense will be run until and unless Gordon starts to play much better and/or both Woodhead and Brown get hurt.

ETA: Or until McCoy gets fired. He should be fired IMO, but I'm not holding my breath.

Keeping with the grand tradition of awesome Wisconsin RBs that fizzle out in the pros. Although I still think he has time to make impact at the pro level, for the right team

Not much to cheer with Chargers, but lots to see

Except:

Melvin Gordon. One breakaway run and one touchdown. You deserve it. Youre a good a player, tough to bring down, stubborn as heck. Youve made your mistakes, you have much to learn. Few inside the organization believe it will come together for you this season. Youve lost so much confidence. It would be great to see you have at least one moment to be able to really know you can do it.

Fumble rates, like injuries, are often more a matter of luck than anything else.

But not in Gordon's case. He's not holding onto the ball as securely as he should. It's not just bad luck; it's a real problem that needs to be fixed.

He looks fantastic running the ball, though.

My main concern, more than the fumbles, is that the OL is so consistently terrible that he's going to develop bad habits in his footwork. He's going to get hesitant. He's going to start expecting to get hit as soon as he touches the ball, and that will detract from his ability to hit the hole whenever there actually is one.

I hope that doesn't happen.
Do you still feel that way on the bolded?

Putting Melvin Gordon's rookie season into perspective

This article is not flattering for Gordon. Bottom line, he should be better after 200 NFL touches, and there is reason for concern long term.
He certainly hasn't been very good. On the other hand the SD O line is pretty bad. I bet if Doug Martin was running behind that line he wouldn't be leading the NFL in rushing......
No doubt the OL is part of the problem. But the article explicitly points out several examples where the blocking was good and Gordon lacked vision and/or decisiveness, illustrating that he is also a big part of the problem.

I respect JWB's views a lot, but this re-posting of old comments with the I-told-you-so stamp is juvenile and makes me wonder if I should also question his football acumen.

Back to Mel Gordon. The boltsfromtheblue.com article is a really good piece of work. I enjoyed reading it - but I also did not get the sense of doom-and-gloom that I thought I would get from reading the comments underneath.

The article basically says, in a well-substantiated way and using detailed film breakdown:

--- Mel Gordon has shown that he can be a very successful runner when decisive

--- He has also shown a lack of decisiveness on the majority of his plays + occasional poor read of the defense

--- Line play may have held him back a bit and caused him not to trust his blockers at times, but there are many clear situations in which line play has no fault and he still doesn't produce

--- If he is to be a 1200 yards rusher, he needs to learn to be much more decisive in all situations (i.e., keeping his feet moving, hit north even if the hole is small; change his mindset in 1v1s)

I think most of us knew most of this without reading the article. Nonetheless, laying it out in a structured way and adding the validation of film is very valuable.

Although this is surely not my best-case expectation from Mel Gordon as a Bolts fan, it is also not that demoralizing for a fantasy owner. The author himself lauds Gordon's athleticism and ability to break tackles. The burst is there when applied. The main deficiency is decisiveness, which is correctable. That itself renders the statement "He should be better after 200 carries" somewhat pointless. Many rookies struggle with decisiveness when they first come to the big league. Having dominated weaker opposition for a decade, they hit a mental and confidence roadblock when finally challenged by equally talented players. Hence, it takes them a while to learn to make their athleticism count and adapt to making decisions at the pace needed and without doubting themselves. Sure, some never get out of the hole (Trent), but usually guys with Gordon's profile turn it around. Ingram got over the hump and so did Doug Martin.

Doesn't mean Gordon will be a Peterson or Gurley, but no one should have expected that. The sky is not falling, the ceiling is still high and he has shown enough for me to say that if I were drafting today, I would still take Gordon over TJ Yeldon, Kevin White and Devante. I am much more worried about the Chargers asinine eagerness to bench him over meaningless fumbles in a lost season. Surely somebody with a brain must work there to tell them how to build up an RB?

I respect JWB's views a lot, but this re-posting of old comments with the I-told-you-so stamp is juvenile and makes me wonder if I should also question his football acumen.
I had no exchange with Maurile in this thread, but (a) I respect his football perspective, and (b) I did not agree with the part of his post that I bolded when he posted it. I am interested to know if he maintains the same perspective now, hence the post.

As for gianmarco, he has been a quality poster in this forum for a long time. It disappointed me when I posted detailed contrary responses to links and info he posted on Gordon months ago, and he responded to say "you win," abandoning the conversation. I am interested to know if he holds the same view today. My views haven't changed; have his views changed?

If you see that as me saying I told you so, so be it. That's not how I see it. Also, I could not care less about what you think about my football acumen. I post a lot about the Chargers in this forum, and I think those posts are generally pretty well informed. YMMV. :shrug:

The main deficiency is decisiveness, which is correctable. That itself renders the statement "He should be better after 200 carries" somewhat pointless. Many rookies struggle with decisiveness when they first come to the big league. Having dominated weaker opposition for a decade, they hit a mental and confidence roadblock when finally challenged by equally talented players. Hence, it takes them a while to learn to make their athleticism count and adapt to making decisions at the pace needed and without doubting themselves. Sure, some never get out of the hole (Trent), but usually guys with Gordon's profile turn it around. Ingram got over the hump and so did Doug Martin.
So you seem to be saying that the problem for Trent Richardson was decisiveness. Is that what you are saying? If so, based on what?

You seem to be saying that Martin struggled with decisiveness as a rookie but "got over the hump." Did Martin actually struggle as a rookie? He had 1926 YFS and 12 TDs. Seems like an odd choice as an example here. Are you saying his subpar 2nd and 3rd seasons were due to poor decisiveness?

You seem to be saying that Ingram struggled with decisiveness as a rookie but "got over the hump.". Is that what you are saying? Do you think the statistics bear this out? Do you have other evidence that his issues were related to decisiveness?

More generally, can you back your claim that rookie RBs often struggle with decisiveness but it is often correctable in later years?

Just Win Baby,

Some of us think that Melvin Gordon will be a very good NFL RB.

You do not.

He has had a poor rookie season.

Please stop being such an arrogant jerk about it.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

I had no exchange with Maurile in this thread, but (a) I respect his football perspective, and (b) I did not agree with the part of his post that I bolded when he posted it. I am interested to know if he maintains the same perspective now, hence the post.

As for gianmarco, he has been a quality poster in this forum for a long time. It disappointed me when I posted detailed contrary responses to links and info he posted on Gordon months ago, and he responded to say "you win," abandoning the conversation. I am interested to know if he holds the same view today. My views haven't changed; have his views changed?

If you see that as me saying I told you so, so be it. That's not how I see it. Also, I could not care less about what you think about my football acumen. I post a lot about the Chargers in this forum, and I think those posts are generally pretty well informed. YMMV. :shrug:
Actually, the reason I abandoned the conversation was noted by others. You were being quite toolish in your responses. You can read the quote below.

Ok, you win. None of those opinions during his pro day, OTAs and minicamp mean anything. Appreciate your local input.
I thought we were having a nice exchange here. Sorry my opinion and input doesn't fit your perspective.
Well, as an unbiaed observer, you were being a bit dickish through the whole thing.
To restart the conversation, here are a few thoughts:

1) Your main argument was that he wasn't good at catching the ball and that his pass protection wasn't good and that Woodhead would clearly have that role. From the start of the season, he's been involved in the passing game. And, since week 8, Gordon's role in the passing game has increased substantially while Woodhead's has decreased. In those last 6 games, Gordon has 19 catches to Woodhead's 21. The fact that Gordon has 32 receptions already with 3 weeks left to go seems to me that they seem to trust both his hands as well as his pass protection. Factor in how poorly he's run this year and it's even more impressive, IMO, that they've kept him out there that much.

So regarding those opinions from your quote about his Pro Day, OTAs, and Minicamps and rebuttals to my links since they were related to how he well he could catch, I feel just fine since the reports I linked discussed how well he did in the passing game and he has similarly caught the ball just fine.

Melvin Gordon: 32 receptions on 36 targets. He leads ALL NFL RBs in catch % of targets.

So, I'll come right back to you: Do YOU still think he can't catch the ball very well considering that was actually our argument prior to the season?

For reference, here is the specific link to our exchange: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/724802-official-melvin-flash-gordon-thread-of-love/?p=18230734

2) He has been almost a complete disappointment in the run game so far this year. His 3.6 ypc is awful. He has 0 TDs. He's missed some opportunities for sure. That said, that O-line is atrocious. While it would be nice if he could have done more with less, I can't knock him completely as a rookie behind that line. Mostly because.....

3) He's tied for 8th in the NFL for runs of 20+ yards. His yards after contact and missed tackles are excellent (one of the only metrics he's done well in). But....

4) His fumbling is DEFINITELY an issue that needs correcting. That will cause him to lose his job faster than anything else he's done.

Overall, it's been a disappointing rookie season for sure but I'm not bailing on him yet. I think there is definite promise. He seems like the kind of guy that once that light switches on, he's going to excel.

In the end, though, if you're going to bump a post like that to puff your chest (even though you claim that's not why you did), make sure you're actually bumping it for the right reason. You look a little silly saying "I told you so" when you were arguing against the one area he has done exceptionally well in: catching the football.

Users who are viewing this thread