What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Weather watch for my 40 mile event Saturday...

Friday - 1.5 inches of snow

Saturday - Sunny, temps 9-10 in the morning (at elevation) with 30 mph winds.  Looks like the 25 degree start on snowy roads at low elevation.  In the afternoon the temp warms up to 14 degrees at elevation with wind picking up to 40 mph, -9 wind chill.  I'm thinking they reduce the race to 26.2 and eliminate the 6700 summit which means the bulk of the event will be at 18 degrees and only 30 mph winds, -2 wind chill.  Definitely will be buying fresh hand warmers.  

I suspect water won't be available as it will be frozen.  Any chemists here have a suggestion on a concoction that I might be able to keep from freezing for a few hours?  I'm assuming a bladder would be worthless as the exposed hose would freeze a clog.  I thinking a couple of bottles starting at room temperature loaded with salt/sugar might last long enough for some hydration for a couple of hours?

Lol thanks @tri-man 47. I posted a couple of pages back, used to post here on and off, mostly off and definitely not at all over the past few years as life got quite hectic. Since moving to France a little over a year ago from Chicago I've finally settled down and picking back up with a few things, including checking in on the FFA. Hopefully can dish out some decent advice and add a little international flair to the FFA Ran a 10K circuit! 

I'm definitely no @tri-man 47 with his perpetual BQs and from the looks of it running ultra and hundreds of miles per month I've got nothing on @Zasada either!
Dude, I run the volume I do just so that I can be a 4hr-marathon plodder.  I have zero talent.  I just (e-)hang out with you guys to benefit from the crumbs and be a poseur.

And, as @gianmarco said -- Strava?  I need to ogle your training.  3:09 marathon, sheesh.  Another #BMF in this thread I didn't even know about.

Saturday - Sunny, temps 9-10 in the morning (at elevation) with 30 mph winds.  Looks like the 25 degree start on snowy roads at low elevation.  In the afternoon the temp warms up to 14 degrees at elevation with wind picking up to 40 mph, -9 wind chill.  I'm thinking they reduce the race to 26.2 and eliminate the 6700 summit which means the bulk of the event will be at 18 degrees and only 30 mph winds, -2 wind chill.  Definitely will be buying fresh hand warmers.  

I suspect water won't be available as it will be frozen.  Any chemists here have a suggestion on a concoction that I might be able to keep from freezing for a few hours?  I'm assuming a bladder would be worthless as the exposed hose would freeze a clog.  I thinking a couple of bottles starting at room temperature loaded with salt/sugar might last long enough for some hydration for a couple of hours?
❤️  Want some company?

FWIW, I've run in fairly cold temps with my Salmon vest, and my Salomon soft flasks never totally froze (being against my chest for the whole run).  The nipple would a little, but not so much that some pressure on the flask wouldn't clear it.  That was with a Tailwind mix.

You can also try to MacGyver a solution by putting hand warmers between the flask and your chest, and that should help keep them warm(er).  Also go with warmer than room temperature water/mix in the flasks in order to buy yourself some time.  I'm sure the warm drink would be tolerable/welcome at the start of the race when you are still not sweating much anyway.

Finally, depending on how warm you get when you run in cold temps, put a jacket on over your running vest.  That will virtually guarantee the flasks don't freeze.  I generally can't run with a jacket on, no matter how cold, but in those winds, I think it would be required.

All of this assumes you have a vest and soft flasks, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corrected the spelling, but I'm a big fan of Accelerade for distance events.  Even though it's somewhat clunky/heavy to carry a couple of containers of this on my fuel belt, I feel it's worth it for marathoning (or in bottles on the bike).  

@Harris
I actually currently use Endurox R4 for my recovery (same company, Pacific Health Labs) but I'm hooked on CarboRocket for my during training/race fueling.  Shameless plug: CarboRocket was started in Chicago by a friend of the Chicago Cyclocross Cup and his company went on to sponsor my former cycling team (still does to this day). Their 333 is amazing for long distance rides and other endurance activities. I also use the regular electrolyte drink and it's good for shorter rides. Have tried Accelerade before though and I think if it wasn't for CR I'd use the Accelerade/Endurox R4 combo.

I actually currently use Endurox R4 for my recovery (same company, Pacific Health Labs) but I'm hooked on CarboRocket for my during training/race fueling.  Shameless plug: CarboRocket was started in Chicago by a friend of the Chicago Cyclocross Cup and his company went on to sponsor my former cycling team (still does to this day). Their 333 is amazing for long distance rides and other endurance activities. I also use the regular electrolyte drink and it's good for shorter rides. Have tried Accelerade before though and I think if it wasn't for CR I'd use the Accelerade/Endurox R4 combo.
I always liked accelerade.  Had a hearty taste.

Lol thanks @tri-man 47. I posted a couple of pages back, used to post here on and off, mostly off and definitely not at all over the past few years as life got quite hectic. Since moving to France a little over a year ago from Chicago I've finally settled down and picking back up with a few things, including checking in on the FFA. Hopefully can dish out some decent advice and add a little international flair to the FFA Ran a 10K circuit! 

I'm definitely no @tri-man 47 with his perpetual BQs and from the looks of it running ultra and hundreds of miles per month I've got nothing on @Zasada either!
@Harris - I'll be in Europe in late April/early May.  My wife was born and raised in Poland.  Running the Prague Marathon on May 3 and the Lublin (Poland) Marathon on May 10.  Looks like it's only a 90-minute flight from Paris to Prague.  Come run with me! ;)  

❤️  Want some company?

FWIW, I've run in fairly cold temps with my Salmon vest, and my Salomon soft flasks never totally froze (being against my chest for the whole run).  The nipple would a little, but not so much that some pressure on the flask wouldn't clear it.  That was with a Tailwind mix.

You can also try to MacGyver a solution by putting hand warmers between the flask and your chest, and that should help keep them warm(er).  Also go with warmer than room temperature water/mix in the flasks in order to buy yourself some time.  I'm sure the warm drink would be tolerable/welcome at the start of the race when you are still not sweating much anyway.

Finally, depending on how warm you get when you run in cold temps, put a jacket on over your running vest.  That will virtually guarantee the flasks don't freeze.  I generally can't run with a jacket on, no matter how cold, but in those winds, I think it would be required.

All of this assumes you have a vest and soft flasks, of course.
Well you're a bad ###.  I'm a Southern dude.  This is probably a warm day for you.

Unfortunately I don't have the soft flasks (actually have one).  Bladder vest and belt with two bottle pouches have been my two fueling tools.  I didn't care for stuffing those flasks back into the pockets vs. sipping from a tube.  I've been a trekking pole guy for a while which ties up my hands.

Do you do most of your bike training on the tri-bike or road bike or a good mix of both?
The 70.3 and 140.6 are different beasts, but it's probably as good a practice as you can get unless you have 10 hours to train in a day. 

Only have one bike - problem solved. ;) . Really I'd think you want to ride the tri bike at least fairly often on long rides. 

Unfortunately I don't have the soft flasks (actually have one).  Bladder vest and belt with two bottle pouches have been my two fueling tools.  I didn't care for stuffing those flasks back into the pockets vs. sipping from a tube.  I've been a trekking pole guy for a while which ties up my hands.
I can drink from my chest flasks without having to release my poles.  They just require some pressure while I'm drinking to push the Tailwind up.  You also shouldn't have to take the flasks out to use them if they're in your chest pockets.  

Just thinking creatively, you might be able to route your bladder tube along your body so that just the end is exposed.  Use some Tailwind/salt mix and that might be enough to keep things flowing.  I've never used my bladder (flasks have always been enough) so I don't have any experience with it.

I'm definitely in run shape and will be building up quite a bit of ultra distance cycling shape as I'm doing the Transcontinental Race at the end of July.  But that doesn't always lead to speed so I'll be putting in a bunch of time on what I call the Paris Urban Velodrome. Just west of the city in a huge park here there is a spot called Longchamps with a 3.5km loop that is closed to cars. Tons of cyclists in little pelotons and a good spot for speedwork. I was on a cycling team in Chicago for 10 years prior to moving here but mostly racing cyclocross with the occasional tri thrown in there. 

I have a couple of other running races in late March/early April and for tris I am doing a sprint on May 10th and a 70.3 May 17th. Hopefully these will iron out any wrinkles in my race day planning. Did not use a bento box in my other 70.3 but will for sure this one and I've invested in a torpedo thing for the aerobars. I think I'll trade out the turkey sandwich for a bento box full of PB&Js 🥪
Whoa...you sound like a monster. Lemme guess, collegiate swimmer too? I asked about background/training because I've known people who get into an IM as a lark- without much more than marathons behind them. But you sound ready to crush this with your background.

I'm an I'm ok you're ok kinda guy in terms of approaches to life, including training/racing...but I'm going to emphasize the importance of nutrition for the IM and not taking any chances with it, like relying on the race course for it. I was in a tri-club for a couple years run by a couple of ultra IM mad-men...they called nutrition the fourth leg of the tri and layed out some good approaches for our club which ranged from first timers like myself to Kona qualifiers.

For your bricks, practice with nutrition on the bike that works for you after while running...for GI reasons we were advised to fuel on the bike and minimize consumption on the run. I kept stuff in my bento and bike as mentioned, and had my mid ride food bag stocked with plan b and c.

I also used to identify the good flat spots on the course where it would be better to eat- trying to force down stuff on a climb or while descending never worked for me 

.... I miss doing these- been 15 years since my last half. 

Hi BMFers,

Curious what you guys do in this situation, if anything.

Disclaimer:  I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday so that probably paid a part in me getting more annoyed about this than otherwise, but....

My son started back up at soccer practice where he goes twice a week in the evening.  It's an hour and a half and a good time for either my wife or I to run while he's there.  It's a large complex, 10 fields, and running a certain route around the fields is about a mile.

Now, normally, there's a decent amount of kids and parents, large parking lot, I'd guess anywhere from 50-100 cars during his practice.  Yesterday it rained all day and was raining last night so I'm assuming most every team cancelled practice except ours and a couple others.  When I got there, there was 1-2 cars total in the parking lot.  My son goes out, I wait a bit, his other teammates show up and they start practicing so I start running.  As I'm going around and I'm on the other side of the complex and going down a large sidewalk, there's 2 boys probably age 16ish coming up.  There's not anyone else on the fields or in the parking lot in that spot at the time.  I'm running on the right side, see they are there and move over to the left probably a good 50 ft away.  They're talking to each other, laughing, then start to get quiet as I'm approaching them and then one of them does this fake lunge in my direction, jumping in front of me just before I'm passing by him, and then back over on the other side.

What, if anything, do you do?

To be clear, if I ever saw my son do that to someone, I'd tear into him.  Also, the point about no one being around, I highly doubt that happens if other kids/parents/coaches are around.  We also aren't the only ones that run there during practice.

Hi BMFers,

Disclaimer:  I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday so that probably paid a part in me getting more annoyed about this than otherwise, but....

My son started back up at soccer practice where he goes twice a week in the evening.  It's an hour and a half and a good time for either my wife or I to run while he's there.  It's a large complex, 10 fields, and running a certain route around the fields is about a mile.

Now, normally, there's a decent amount of kids and parents, large parking lot, I'd guess anywhere from 50-100 cars during his practice.  Yesterday it rained all day and was raining last night so I'm assuming most every team cancelled practice except ours and a couple others.  When I got there, there was 1-2 cars total in the parking lot.  My son goes out, I wait a bit, his other teammates show up and they start practicing so I start running.  As I'm going around and I'm on the other side of the complex and going down a large sidewalk, there's 2 boys probably age 16ish coming up.  There's not anyone else on the fields or in the parking lot in that spot at the time.  I'm running on the right side, see they are there and move over to the left probably a good 50 ft away.  They're talking to each other, laughing, then start to get quiet as I'm approaching them and then one of them does this fake lunge in my direction, jumping in front of me just before I'm passing by him, and then back over on the other side.

What do you do?

To be clear, if I ever saw my son do that to someone, I'd tear into him.  Also, the point about no one being around, I highly doubt that happens if other kids/parents/coaches are around.  We also aren't the only ones that run there during practice.
Crazy situation. No clue how I’d handle that especially with them being kids. I’d probably just keep running and shake my head as I passed because I hate confrontation. 

Since moving to France a little over a year ago from Chicago I've finally settled down and picking back up with a few things, including checking in on the FFA. Hopefully can dish out some decent advice and add a little international flair to the FFA Ran a 10K circuit! 
It is nice to have you back!  Between the endurance events and, yes, the international flair, you'll certainly add to our conversations (=endless chatter).  And if you'd forgotten the tone around here, the other guys were just busting your chops a bit.  Fair to say the more dissing you get is a sign of respect.  

Little glycol never hurt anybody, how bad do you want it?

I suspect water won't be available as it will be frozen.  Any chemists here have a suggestion on a concoction that I might be able to keep from freezing for a few hours? 
Is it too crazy a thought to go the other direction?  Freeze some small cubes of Gatorade or whatever and pop them as you go through the course.  Fight fire ice with fire ice.  :shrug:  

Hi BMFers,

💪

Some kids rolled a skateboard in front of our bikes, saw it coming.  I got off the bike and hurled the skateboard as far as I could and said I don't think you want any of this.  Had some other kids hurl a soccer ball at me from a bridge while cycling.  I tried chasing them down, but they were too fast for me.  Those two would do well being on a cross country team.

Hi BMFers,

Not the same situation, but I've been running on a regular-width sidewalk and found myself headed towards 2-3 teenagers walking side-by-side blocking the entire sidewalk, laughing with zero intent to move over and let me through.  

Let's just say that I won the game of Red Rover...

Dude, I run the volume I do just so that I can be a 4hr-marathon plodder.  I have zero talent.  I just (e-)hang out with you guys to benefit from the crumbs and be a poseur.

And, as @gianmarco said -- Strava?  I need to ogle your training.  3:09 marathon, sheesh.  Another #BMF in this thread I didn't even know about.
Strava ID is 24852574.... is there a FBG Club to join on Strava?

💪

Some kids rolled a skateboard in front of our bikes, saw it coming.  I got off the bike and hurled the skateboard as far as I could and said I don't think you want any of this.  Had some other kids hurl a soccer ball at me from a bridge while cycling.  I tried chasing them down, but they were too fast for me.  Those two would do well being on a cross country team.
:wub:

@gianmarco, quick, lay down a massive week.  The hopes of any us cracking the top 3 will be in serious jeopardy if @Harris joins @Hang 10 and Steve on the team (not to mention @JAA starting to build back up again and @-OZ- entertaining IM thoughts).
Man...this weak a$$ marathon #### ain't gonna cut it anymore.  I'll have to start training for an ultra or something...

The sidewalk is about 10 feet wide. I would normally run by with at least 3-4 feet between us. 

He jumped in front of my path when we were about 10 ft away and then back on his side. 
Did you pass them again on the loop?

I probably wouldn't have done anything the first go around, but would stew on it and probably tell them that his father failed at being a parent by having such a disrespectful son, and that I can only hope that he does better with his own children...that or call him a little ##### with baby balls.  It really all depends on my mood.

In reality, I more than likely just shrug it off.  Most kids are stupid and care way too much about how they look to their friends.

Maybe we should start a secondary running only club (and not invite Steve :P )? I think "Leaderboard" would include running mileage, longest run, average pace, and elevation.  Honestly, it would make it easier to see how everyone's running week is going at a glance.

Did you pass them again on the loop?

I probably wouldn't have done anything the first go around, but would stew on it and probably tell them that his father failed at being a parent by having such a disrespectful son, and that I can only hope that he does better with his own children...that or call him a little ##### with baby balls.  It really all depends on my mood.

In reality, I more than likely just shrug it off.  Most kids are stupid and care way too much about how they look to their friends.
Lol.... So the bolded is exactly what happened. I stewed on it the whole run and thought EXACTLY those things and that's what I would have wanted to say. 

No, I didn't pass them again as they were on the field by the time I was around again with teammates and later practicing. I even considered stopping and talking to the coach.

The truth is I was in such a foul mood at the start of my run to begin with that I didn't stop or say anything because I was worried I would escalate it much more than I should. I briefly considered turning around and running into him from behind. Normally I probably would have stopped and made some comment. I definitely would have run into him if he didn't get back over in time.

Just so disrespectful and aggravated me the rest of the run, which is so stupid. 

Just so disrespectful and aggravated me the rest of the run, which is so stupid. 
My real reaction could/would have ranged wildly based on what kind of mood I was in, IMO. Anything from just laughing at/with them to giving them a parental lecture to just stewing about it afterwards to having the talk with their parents/coach that you considered. Also depends some on how I perceived the fake in the moment - like was he trying to be funny, rude, a toughguy, etc. 

In similar but different vein, when I run on the indoor track there are usually other people using it at various paces. I like having others on the track, just fun to have company and occasionally nice to have a great view, if you know what I mean... but there are often times that there are completely inconsiderate people going around in circles with me. My reaction varies with my mood and how inconsiderate they are. First time by that they are taking up more than their fair share of the track, I'm always nice about it and give them the benefit of the doubt - I'll slow down/speed up, whatever needed to go around without interrupting them. If I make a couple passes and they still haven't learned to share, I'll either lightly brush by them on 'accident' or give a muttered excuse me - just enough passive/aggressive behavior that they know they are a nuisance. If they continue to be a blight on society, they get a full fledged brush with all my sweaty glory or something similar.

Anyone here have any talent at graphic design? If anyone here has the ability/desire, I want to create a logo/design/pattern to "represent" the relay team at our race in May. I have an idea but I need your help!

@Zasada - do you still have "butt/hip pain"? From some of your descriptions before, I'm pretty sure I was having similar issues and it was really starting to be a problem about the same time I had the hammy twinge. The hammy is what finally drove me to the PT here at work but probably the even bigger benefit was talking to him about my butt/hip pain. I just left another session just a bit ago and it is truly amazing how much better my hip/butt feels. It's a combination of the stretching he's help me do and stretches he's given me to do on my own and the deep tissue massage or whatever you want to call it that he has done. It almost made me want to cry early on but the relief I feel now compared to the start is phenomenal. Might be something to look into if you are still having some problems. 

@Zasada - do you still have "butt/hip pain"? From some of your descriptions before, I'm pretty sure I was having similar issues and it was really starting to be a problem about the same time I had the hammy twinge. The hammy is what finally drove me to the PT here at work but probably the even bigger benefit was talking to him about my butt/hip pain. I just left another session just a bit ago and it is truly amazing how much better my hip/butt feels. It's a combination of the stretching he's help me do and stretches he's given me to do on my own and the deep tissue massage or whatever you want to call it that he has done. It almost made me want to cry early on but the relief I feel now compared to the start is phenomenal. Might be something to look into if you are still having some problems. 
Thanks, @The Iguana.  The butt pain is much more dull than it used to be (but still makes its presence known on longer runs), and the hip pain is gone.  Now it's my groin that bothers me the most.  Even when I sneeze/cough!

I finally got an appointment with a sports med doctor in Calgary, but then moved to DFW and couldn't keep it.  So I'm procrastinating again, but your post is good motivation to find a doctor/PT here in DFW, and try to get things addressed.  Thanks for the nudge.  

Any chemists here have a suggestion on a concoction that I might be able to keep from freezing for a few hours?  
Might as well throw some vodka in there to keep it liquid and for that extra bit of warmth. I'm thinking a nice bloody mary hydration mix. 

I think like others said, adding some kind of salt or sugar to the drink will lower the freezing point. Hopefully low enough for this length of time.

Not the same situation, but I've been running on a regular-width sidewalk and found myself headed towards 2-3 teenagers walking side-by-side blocking the entire sidewalk, laughing with zero intent to move over and let me through.  

Let's just say that I won the game of Red Rover...
Same, but...

My real reaction could/would have ranged wildly based on what kind of mood I was in
...^^^that.

There is a direct correlation between the type of workout that I am doing, my current mood, and what my reaction would be to such a circumstance. There are times in which I would have locked in eye contact and they would have two choices - get mowed down or the #### out of the way. Similar interactions with vehicles that cut me off; my punching someone's window and screaming ### hole is not effective but it feels good. So in a bad enough mood that's apparently what I do. There are other times in which I just wouldn't want to deal with it - whether I'd say something smart ###, just quietly remove myself from the situation, stare them down, or inform a responsible party nearby just depends on a lot of factors.

Well, y'all are nuts. Decided to go around the lake loop near my house over lunch for a little variety instead of the normal row. Had noticed on Strava a trip around the nearby lake is a "segment" and wanted to do that. In a thrilling result, I am 9th! this year*. 2.35 miles is probably the farthest I have ran consecutively......ever. Can't say I found it particularly enjoyable but also went wayyyyy harder than you fine folks would have recommended - managed to sync the Apple Watch readings in I think so we can all laugh at my HR. Looks like avg was around 162 but was basically at 180 for the majority of it  :mellow:  Working that hard for what appears to be 10 minute miles is highly depressing (though in my defense it was a 'trail' run and quite muddy / slippery due to recent rain - how much that ultimately mattered - not sure). Anyways - back to rowing for me for a bit - good job everyone. 

*out of 11

Well, y'all are nuts. Decided to go around the lake loop near my house over lunch for a little variety instead of the normal row. Had noticed on Strava a trip around the nearby lake is a "segment" and wanted to do that. In a thrilling result, I am 9th! this year*. 2.35 miles is probably the farthest I have ran consecutively......ever. Can't say I found it particularly enjoyable but also went wayyyyy harder than you fine folks would have recommended - managed to sync the Apple Watch readings in I think so we can all laugh at my HR. Looks like avg was around 162 but was basically at 180 for the majority of it  :mellow:  Working that hard for what appears to be 10 minute miles is highly depressing (though in my defense it was a 'trail' run and quite muddy / slippery due to recent rain - how much that ultimately mattered - not sure). Anyways - back to rowing for me for a bit - good job everyone. 

*out of 11
you took a nibble... now to be patient for you to get another little bite before we set the hook....

;)  

Lemme guess, collegiate swimmer too? I asked about background/training because I've known people who get into an IM as a lark- without much more than marathons behind them.

I'm an I'm ok you're ok kinda guy in terms of approaches to life, including training/racing...but I'm going to emphasize the importance of nutrition for the IM and not taking any chances with it, like relying on the race course for it. I was in a tri-club for a couple years run by a couple of ultra IM mad-men...they called nutrition the fourth leg of the tri and layed out some good approaches for our club which ranged from first timers like myself to Kona qualifiers.

For your bricks, practice with nutrition on the bike that works for you after while running...for GI reasons we were advised to fuel on the bike and minimize consumption on the run. I kept stuff in my bento and bike as mentioned, and had my mid ride food bag stocked with plan b and c.

I also used to identify the good flat spots on the course where it would be better to eat- trying to force down stuff on a climb or while descending never worked for me 

.... I miss doing these- been 15 years since my last half. 
Pretty sure the bolded is me.  :oldunsure:  Definitely not a collegiate swimmer. If I had a nickname it would be "The Rock", and not because I'm ready to throw down in the squared circle. I've toyed with the idea of an IM over the last ten years really and after a sprint here, olympic there, the one HIM (Steelhead) I did in 2014 actually put me on the brakes for tris for a while. I bonked out hard with a 6:58 overall. Cycling, fine....running, fine....even a duathlon, likely no problem. Truly just need to get in the pool more so that I'm not utterly exhausted coming out of the water. Two tris last year in France and living in a time where I can do this stuff before kids made me feel that I should go for it now.

And thanks for all the nutrition advice, especially on the brick parts. :thumbup:  When only running I usually train/race without much nutrition but it's a different animal when coming off the bike. I'll try on my next brick sessions to eat at varying times before I get off the bike to see what kind of time I'd need to digest.

*out of 11
Step 1: Get out there
Step 2: Do it again, it gets easier

No matter where you're at, we've all been there!   :hifive:

Pretty sure the bolded is me.  :oldunsure:  Definitely not a collegiate swimmer. If I had a nickname it would be "The Rock", and not because I'm ready to throw down in the squared circle. I've toyed with the idea of an IM over the last ten years really and after a sprint here, olympic there, the one HIM (Steelhead) I did in 2014 actually put me on the brakes for tris for a while. I bonked out hard with a 6:58 overall. Cycling, fine....running, fine....even a duathlon, likely no problem. Truly just need to get in the pool more so that I'm not utterly exhausted coming out of the water. Two tris last year in France and living in a time where I can do this stuff before kids made me feel that I should go for it now.

And thanks for all the nutrition advice, especially on the brick parts. :thumbup:  When only running I usually train/race without much nutrition but it's a different animal when coming off the bike. I'll try on my next brick sessions to eat at varying times before I get off the bike to see what kind of time I'd need to digest.
You have bike and tri history. I'm talking people who have only done a marathon and start thinking about the next challenge without really thinking about it.

And slap it low re swimming. Didn't matter how much I swam (which wasn't much, and only started in earnest- laps and whatnot more than floating with a cocktail- with the Tris)...I could swim the distance eventually, but couldn't get faster- even with coaching. I was a 45ish 1/2 im swimmer and did the full in 1:20 something. Realized I have zero flexibility throughout- especially shoulders- so can't get long and straight in the water...I'm like a floating/sinking U.

Iirc, we were advised to stop taking nutrition in about 20-30 mins before end of bike...fwiw.

*out of 11
Congratulations! 

For the run and for finding a way to double your miles on Strava  :ph34r:

Congratulations! 

For the run and for finding a way to double your miles on Strava  :ph34r:
Muahaha - heaven forbid something just "worked" without tinkering. I think A) Strava does not play nice with my chest HR monitor and B) I hadn't "pre"-setup it to link with Apple Health / Watch so when I did after the fact all of a sudden there are two of me. 

Sounds fun.

Might as well throw some vodka in there to keep it liquid and for that extra bit of warmth. I'm thinking a nice bloody mary hydration mix. 

I think like others said, adding some kind of salt or sugar to the drink will lower the freezing point. Hopefully low enough for this length of time.
That's what I was thinking.

Maybe we should start a secondary running only club (and not invite Steve :P )? I think "Leaderboard" would include running mileage, longest run, average pace, and elevation.  Honestly, it would make it easier to see how everyone's running week is going at a glance.
Thanks for including me!

Lol.... So the bolded is exactly what happened. I stewed on it the whole run and thought EXACTLY those things and that's what I would have wanted to say. 

No, I didn't pass them again as they were on the field by the time I was around again with teammates and later practicing. I even considered stopping and talking to the coach.

The truth is I was in such a foul mood at the start of my run to begin with that I didn't stop or say anything because I was worried I would escalate it much more than I should. I briefly considered turning around and running into him from behind. Normally I probably would have stopped and made some comment. I definitely would have run into him if he didn't get back over in time.

Another reason I'm so happy to be a #girldad.  Boys are idiots.

As I anticipated, I've basically been winging the training schedule for this 1/2- ramping up one long run as part of 3ish runs per week with tempo one day and recovery/neg-split the other.

The race is March 15 (beware!) and I'm uncertain how much to do next weekend for the long run (2 weeks before the race) and when to start tapering.

Tia, running nerds.
Whatever distance you've topped out at to the point go further this weekend. Nothing of consequence beyond March 5 or so. Stay crisp between then and race day. 

Users who are viewing this thread