What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (4 Viewers)

He left after the first carry of the game. He was limited all week but they made the decision he was "ok", warmed up in practice, and still started w/o the activation of a RB. They hung two players out the dry there, Edmonds had to shoulder a massive workload he wasn't prepared for.

Yeah. They were wrong obviously. Nothing you said disagrees with anything I said. I'm simply arguing that it wasn't malicious or planned, they thought he'd be fine, jumped the gun and were wrong. I hope he sits next week if he isn't fully practicing all week.

I'm probably over stating this but in todays age of social media and public presence, I don't think coaches can get away with this and should be careful.  I don't doubt that they thought he would play more and the game just kind of unfolded in a way that makes it very easy to leave him off the field but these kinds of things get fans, many of whom wager and play ff, to backlash....LOUDLY...on social media so it could, in effect, really shorten his leash as a coach.   If he's not winning games, the fan basewill be against him, probably not thinking that they truly don't like him but thinking in terms of he's shady, not doing things the right way, etc (or maybe just mad because he screwed their ff team...lol).  At any rate, the point being that in today's world, it's really easy to get people behind you or against you in social media and this isn't flying well (lots of outcry on Twitter and board slime this).  Just food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL that info might've been helpful before the game.
Seems like something they'd say to not look like idiots for rushing him back and having him immediately not feel right.

But if it's true then I was wrong and it was some level of gamemanship, and purposeful. Just didn't seem like that from the outside.

these kinds of things get fans, many of whom wager and play ff, to backlash....LOUDLY...on social media so it could, in effect, really shorten his leash as a coach. 
This part intrigues me because of the expansion of legal sports gambling in 2018. I wonder what pressures exist now in addition to fan backlash. I don’t really know the gambling world very well though. I suspect my exposure to mob movies doesn’t count as expert training. 

Very interesting how Edmunds got 29 touches today and DJ got over 20 only once this year - 24 in game 1.

As mentioned last week, I think Edmonds is just a better overall RB at this juncture.
DJ Clearly wasn’t right. I was watching the game and after his first carry i swear i saw him look at the sideline and motion a switch as if he knew is ankle wasn’t ok to keep on. DJ is arguably one of the best pass catching RBs in the game, Cliff knows that. To my eyes, He see to be a bit slower than Chase as a runner. I could see chase getting some more touches but not that many more that what we saw weeks 1-6. AZ went up big 14-0 early. No need to risk DJ even more. 

I'm probably over stating this but in todays age of social media and public presence, I don't think coaches can get away with this and should be careful.  I don't doubt that they thought he would play more and the game just kind of unfolded in a way that makes it very easy to leave him off the field but these kinds of things get fans, many of whom wager and play ff, to backlash....LOUDLY...on social media so it could, in effect, really shorten his leash as a coach.   If he's not winning games, the fan basewill be against him, probably not thinking that they truly don't like him but thinking in terms of he's shady, not doing things the right way, etc (or maybe just mad because he screwed their ff team...lol).  At any rate, the point being that in today's world, it's really easy to get people behind you or against you in social media and this isn't flying well (lots of outcry on Twitter and board slime this).  Just food for thought.
i doubt ARI coaches care.  They won.  That's their job.  i doubt most coaches care about what people are saying on social media.

i doubt ARI coaches care.  They won.  That's their job.  i doubt most coaches care about what people are saying on social media.
I'm sure they don't...or at least say they don't, but owners do. As silly as it is, they do and losing your fanbase (e.g., not filling seats and selling $12 beers and not making absurd money) sometimes leads to changes.  Take the Redskins for example.  There are a lot of stories being tossed out there that strongly suggest that the drafting of their QB was partly done to fill seats because he was a "local" kid and that a lot of the weird friction between Gruden paying him, not playing him, then tossing him in, then getting fired..was related to all that.  

I'm just saying you can lose your support quicker than ever in today's world where volumes of information and opinion is just a tweet away and people vote with their dollars more than ever.  The new coach needs to be careful.  To me, it sounds a little too much, even in a ff forum BUT there was a TON of backlash about this today on social media.  Usually where there is smoke, there is a little fire getting started.  

I'm sure they don't...or at least say they don't, but owners do. As silly as it is, they do and losing your fanbase (e.g., not filling seats and selling $12 beers and not making absurd money) sometimes leads to changes.  Take the Redskins for example.  There are a lot of stories being tossed out there that strongly suggest that the drafting of their QB was partly done to fill seats because he was a "local" kid and that a lot of the weird friction between Gruden paying him, not playing him, then tossing him in, then getting fired..was related to all that.  

I'm just saying you can lose your support quicker than ever in today's world where volumes of information and opinion is just a tweet away and people vote with their dollars more than ever.  The new coach needs to be careful.  To me, it sounds a little too much, even in a ff forum BUT there was a TON of backlash about this today on social media.  Usually where there is smoke, there is a little fire getting started.  
They won

And still the huge reactions and backlash so put on your thinking cap and imagine the reaction when they don't win or they have a bad run for a few weeks.  Your comment is the exact reason to think about this:. They won.  There should be no reason for this amount of backlash...yet, there was.   What does that tell you?  

And still the huge reactions and backlash so put on your thinking cap and imagine the reaction when they don't win or they have a bad run for a few weeks.  Your comment is the exact reason to think about this:. They won.  There should be no reason for this amount of backlash...yet, there was.   What does that tell you?  
That us fantasy football players are a bunch of whiners that only care about personal stats and not whether or not teams win or lose?

Fantasy football fans aren't buying seats and $12 beers. Cardinals fans don't give a #### about any of that stuff and I guarantee you cardinals fans aren't backlashing on Twitter. 

So everybody knew there was just about no way he was playing today, yet they start him?  What a #### move. 
Ya. That’s what confuses me... why even bring him out there the first drive? Ceremonial starter treatment?

The way the offense has looked the last couple weeks, I'd be trying to buy low on Johnson this week. People are talking like he's gonna lose his starting job, and that is just silly. Especially since with the Cards WR room, there is room for Johnson to be an RB1, and Edmonds to be a solid flex going forward. 

This offense is getting better every week, the redzone FG's are starting to become TD's. 

I’m going to lose in my main league with DJ in my line up and Chase on my bench. But I ain’t gonna sweat it. I would make that same decision 10 times out of 10 with the info we had. 

DJ didnt practice all week to me that's a sign to not play him.  GTD means to look elsewhere; unless you could absorb the risk.  Regardless if you had/sat Chase didnt you all have other options? 

I call BS on the whole emergency back thing. You don’t start your emergency back. That’d be like asking the 6 you know’s into you to prom before you ask the 9 who might say yes. I think DJ thought he was a go and told the staff he was good then felt something the first drive. Maybe then he became the emergency back. A buddy of mine texted me and said he saw him run off funny after his first touch. Anyone else see the play?

As bad as this week was, how do you trust him/them for the rest of the season when we know his floor is now zero? Fun times!

This may be a crazy thought,  but I've wondered if they would trade DJ to a RB needy team. Edmonds seems to fit that offense perfectly. Thoughts? 
Not crazy.  It is what I thought immediately after they said he wasn't injured.

Not sure that matters much. This offense is becoming a bad matchup for defenses. I'd argue its on the verge of being matchup proof, and Johnson is at the front of that due to his receiving skills. 
It's easy to look good against Cincy, Atlanta, and the NYG. We'll find out where they really stand the next couple of weeks.

It's easy to look good against Cincy, Atlanta, and the NYG. We'll find out where they really stand the next couple of weeks.
Agreed. I might be glass half full here, but I think this recent boom has been less about who they've played and more about Murray and Kingsbury getting comfortable in the NFL. Opponents have helped sure, but i'm not sure its been the driving force.

Agreed. I might be glass half full here, but I think this recent boom has been less about who they've played and more about Murray and Kingsbury getting comfortable in the NFL. Opponents have helped sure, but i'm not sure its been the driving force.
Edmonds is the only one who had a "boom" this week, the entire team only put up ~250 yards of offense. Part of the reason for that is because the Giants handed them the game, but that's the point, they are terrible. Their last three opponents have 3 wins combined on the season and are all among the worst defenses in the NFL- if they have a good showing next week in NO that would mean something, but I can't put much stock at all in these last 3 games.

Not sure that matters much. This offense is becoming a bad matchup for defenses. I'd argue its on the verge of being matchup proof, and Johnson is at the front of that due to his receiving skills. 
Let’s see how they do against the Saints first. I also have a strange feeling that the Saints will have a bit more football fans supporting the team to destroy Zona. There’s one thing to do gamesmanship, yet no one should troll others online. Those tweets are not classy. 

Anyway, I’m moving on. With the information we all had yesterday and from what we all saw in Week 6, I would have still started DJ. I rather go down starting my best players than using someone unknown with tons of risk, not named Chase.  

Edit: as for the two FA RBs working out, I think it’s for having a third RB, rather than DJ’s health. Remember, Zona’s third RB is hurt. Of course, we shall see...

I feel bad for the other league member that I bludgeoned this week. Tuesday I offered him Cha$e for DJ Moore as he’s got dj and WR depth. He declined. I started Cha$e and he started dj against me this week. 

Note: DJ and dj are used to differentiate between DJ Moore who is good and david johnson who was good. 

I feel bad for the other league member that I bludgeoned this week. Tuesday I offered him Cha$e for DJ Moore as he’s got dj and WR depth. He declined. I started Cha$e and he started dj against me this week. 

Note: DJ and dj are used to differentiate between DJ Moore who is good and david johnson who was good. 
😂

Free agent RB Jay Ajayi will work out for the Cardinals on Tuesday.

Ajayi is over his 2018 ACL tear and will begin his free-agent tour in Arizona. The Cards are also taking a look at former Chief Spencer Ware, suggesting the team expects to be without David Johnson (who was limited to three snaps in Sunday's win over the Giants) when they visit New Orleans in Week 8. Both would be depth options behind presumed starter Chase Edmonds, who broke out for 150 yards (126 rushing, 24 receiving) and three touchdowns against the Giants.

Free agent RB Spencer Ware will work out for the Cardinals.

He'll be joined by former Dolphins and Eagles bruiser Jay Ajayi. The Cardinals are in search of backfield depth with David Johnson (ankle) and D.J. Foster (hamstring) both hobbled. Ware has been a free agent since the Colts released him from injured reserve last month.
Well that's something..

Users who are viewing this thread