What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (5 Viewers)

Thing that sucks for me is I *had* other good options. I actually benched Ingram to start DJ in one league. Ingram didn't do much either but still. I had the choice between Jacobs, D Henry, Ingram, Waller or Andrews. TE premium. Oy.

Would be nice to know what didn't feel right? Ankle? back?  :rant:

Oh well, if active he will be in my RB1 slot.... no other options

Last edited by a moderator:
People keep taunting fantasy players with this narrative we are mad and unreasonable about teh whole issue and they keep ignoring the glaring 800 pound gorilla:

https://twitter.com/Maestro25/status/1186379313127579649

I refuse to believe that leaving DJ as the only RB behind Chase is what's best for the team. What if Chase got hurt? Then you're forcing DJ to play when he's not ready. Forget fantasy, that was a stupid risk to take. You gained nothing by leaving DJ "active" but on the sidelines.
When the reply to this "But see he didn't and they won anyway", that's not an answer; that's just saying the result after everything actually worked out. No team operates like this willingly because the risk is massive to both players; just because the team dodged a bullet doesn't mean they want a modified AR-15 shot at them the following week, which is why Arizona are working out multiple RBs now.

shadyridr said:
Fantasy football fans aren't buying seats and $12 beers. Cardinals fans don't give a #### about any of that stuff and I guarantee you cardinals fans aren't backlashing on Twitter. 
You are very much mistaken.  The two are inextricable.  Sure, in any fanbase there is a small pocket of people who are football and football only and "don't mess with that fantasy stuff" but fantasy football is the spearhead of why the sports remains as it does.  Without fantasy football, this sport would have largely dipped just as cable TV has.  It's been around so long now that only fans in Their 70s and older haven't had it as a mainstay in their football lives.  Why do you think that every stadium these days must have WiFi robust enough to support a military campaign and fan zones and literally hundreds of TV's around the stadium dedicated to stats occurring (as well as announcements and big screen updates every few minutes)? There is no separating the two and generically saying "fans don't care".  

The point to keep in mind before it was taken to such an extreme is there is a huge contingent of people who bet money on this game-wagers, fantasy, daily, etc.  Those people can be both fans AND sport an interest in these things and they do.  And they are also people who are heavy influencers in social media as well as voting with their dollars in the real sense (tickets,food, parking, apparel).  

They say winning cures all ills so sure, as long as there are some wins and the honeymoon period is there, things are okay.  But we all know (everyone should know), things go from one extreme to the other in a half-heartbeat with social media and it doesn't take much for a perception to become a thing.  It took less than a season for chip Kelly's antics to go from "revolutionary and the new wave" to "gimmicky" and "second rate", etc.  It happens.  It might not be the correct thing to zero in on but people have a tendency to finding SOMETHING to call out.  

Anyway, enough of that.  Let's just see how this goes over time.  I know it's not as easy to dismiss as easy as you're suggesting.  I've already read and listened to several media personnel discussing wether it was responsible to expose Edmunds at risk as the only back in the light of protecting Johnson.  Things happen and people have a way of finding a way of lighting it on fire in social media.  That's all. 

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson (back) didn't feel right after a couple plays on Sunday.

Kingsbury added that Johnson is a "warrior," but he turned the offense over to Chase Edmonds after the Cardinals' starting RB didn't feel right after a couple plays. Johnson was only active for emergency purposes during the Cardinals' Week 7 victory over the Giants, infuriating fantasy owners all around the globe. For what it's worth (likely not much), Kingsbury did note that he appreciates the passion of fantasy players. It'll be tough to project anything resembling a three-down workload for Johnson in this week's matchup against the Saints.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 3:56 PM ET

David Johnson (ankle, back) is not practicing Wednesday.

The ankle is believed to be the bigger issue. Coach Kliff Kingsbury refused to rule Johnson out for Sunday against the Saints, but the Cardinals did sign Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner this week to slide in behind Week 7 breakout star Chase Edmonds, who would be an RB1/2 if he starts versus New Orleans.

Oct 23, 2019, 1:19 PM ET

David Johnson (ankle, back) was not seen during the open portion of Thursday's practice.

Ankle and back woes limited Johnson to two snaps in last week's win over the Giants. At this point, it would be a stunner if he suited up against New Orleans. Coming off a three-touchdown breakout in Week 7, Chase Edmonds should flirt with RB1 status Sunday in the Big Easy. Foreshadowing Johnson's expected absence, the Cards added Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner as backfield depth earlier this week.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 2:31 PM ET

Cardinals GM Steve Keim labeled David Johnson (ankle, back) a game-time decision for Week 8 against the Saints.

Not this again. Johnson burned fantasy owners by playing just two snaps last week and is threatening to do the same ahead of Week 8. This may be a case of gamesmanship on Keim's part, bating the Saints into game-planning for Johnson when the Cardinals know full well he's not going to play (they may have already tipped their hand by signing Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner earlier this week). It would make all of our lives easier if Johnson sat this one out. His replacement, Chase Edmonds, proved more than capable of leading the backfield last week with 150 yards and three touchdowns in a win over the Giants.
This man-ho...

If he's a GTD, I think I might start both. I know it's not ideal but if I'm struggling for a flex anyways, might as well try it.
I'm leaning toward just starting Edmonds in that situation. Starting both would mean benching either Chubb or Aaron Jones, and despite Chubb's tough matchup with NE, I can't see sitting him for an iffy DJ.

ETA - granted, everybody's other options are different. 

Here is a little comparative from when Wentz had his bad back:

Wentz wasn't listed on the injury report for a back ailment during the 2018 season until Oct. 17. But ESPN learned this offseason that Wentz's back began bothering him multiple games before that designation, and it affected him more than he has generally let on.

His discomfort was apparent as early as an Oct. 7 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings, his third game back from the ACL tear.

"Dude, I can't sit," said Wentz, according to a source.

"Why not?" his teammate asked.

"My back," Wentz said.

Wentz played the next Thursday against the Giants. Working on a short week, he was listed as a limited participant with a "not injury-related-rest" designation that Tuesday. Otherwise practicing in full, and not considered to be hindered by the injury, he was not placed on the report with a "back" designation until the 17th.

Even after he joined the injury list with a back ailment, it was another two-plus months -- despite regular testing, and during which Wentz completed 70% of his throws with 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 11 games -- before the stress fracture revealed itself on a scan, compelling the team to shut Wentz down for the season.

"Were there things throughout the season -- soreness and stuff? Absolutely. There's no denying some of that," Wentz says. "But there was never, like, 'Hey, we found out early in the year his back is broken and he's played through it. They screwed up.' No, that was never the case. No, when they found it, we shut it down.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27426397/carson-wentz-was-burdened-pain-here-how-left-behind

I believe this is more about DJ's back than it is about his ankle. IF he has a back problem it could linger and they will cope with it as best they can but they did not bring in 2 RB's off the street because of a gimpy ankle. His back could render him very unpredictable moving forward because depending on what is the real problem it could flair up at any point.

Wentz's timeline with his back was a couple of weeks before they even detected the stress fracture.   

I'm leaning toward just starting Edmonds in that situation. Starting both would mean benching either Chubb or Aaron Jones, and despite Chubb's tough matchup with NE, I can't see sitting him for an iffy DJ.

ETA - granted, everybody's other options are different. 
I wouldn't bench any of those guys either if I'm in your situation.

Maybe it's just me drinking koolaid, but IMO signing Morris and Zenner has just as much to do with DJ Foster as Johnson.  They started out with only 3 RBs on the roster, and two of them are hurt.  Even if Johnson was fine, they'd need at least one more.

May as well bring in a couple of them and see which one looks better, picks up the playbook faster, can play ST, etc.  Ultimately it may be the Foster role they're looking to fill.

Maybe it's just me drinking koolaid, but IMO signing Morris and Zenner has just as much to do with DJ Foster as Johnson.  They started out with only 3 RBs on the roster, and two of them are hurt.  Even if Johnson was fine, they'd need at least one more.

May as well bring in a couple of them and see which one looks better, picks up the playbook faster, can play ST, etc.  Ultimately it may be the Foster role they're looking to fill.
Morris seems more like a Johnson replacement, and Zenner seems more like a Foster replacement, as Zenner will likely play special teams. Morris hasn't played special teams in his career to my knowledge.

I'd bet on Johnson not playing this week.

Cardinals GM Steve Keim labeled David Johnson (ankle, back) a game-time decision for Week 8 against the Saints.

Not this again. Johnson burned fantasy owners by playing just two snaps last week and is threatening to do the same ahead of Week 8. This may be a case of gamesmanship on Keim's part, bating the Saints into game-planning for Johnson when the Cardinals know full well he's not going to play (they may have already tipped their hand by signing Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner earlier this week). It would make all of our lives easier if Johnson sat this one out. His replacement, Chase Edmonds, proved more than capable of leading the backfield last week with 150 yards and three touchdowns in a win over the Giants.

Oct 25, 2019, 11:17 AM ET

I could really use him but no way can I start him after last week. I'd like him to play as that would mean the injury(s) isn't too serious, but looks highly likely that he's sitting.

I like his frame and his shiftyness.

His pass catching and pass protection are valuable traits as well that will speed up his opportunity to get on the field.

I'd like to see him in NE.
He bounces things outside too much, not an interior runner, level of competition has been inferior 

I bet he's not active this week.
nothing thats happened this week has indicated he should or will play. 

pulled after one series last week because of concerns to the ankle (the new injury). no practice thru Friday. signing of 2 RBs. Chase played well last week in DJs stead. It just doesn't make sense to throw him out there and all logical signs point to him not playing. 

maybe ARI is just trying to play mind games and have NO have to gameplan for DJ, knowing full well they aren't going to play him. 

I own both and will be starting Edmonds over DJ this week, regardless of what "chatter" comes out. 🤷‍♂️

The NO defense has been very good, but they have given up lots of garbage time yards and TDs to Seattle, TB and Chicago. I'm not convinced that Murray and Arizona is good enough (Wilson), has enough talent at WR (TB) or lucky enough (Chicago) to do the same. This game will be a huge test for Murray and Kingsbury's system.

I wouldn’t call that “drinking the cool aid” I’d call it trying to convince yourself that everything is ok with the RB you own or if I wanted to be more  harsh “sticking your head in the sand.”

I own DJ in two dynasty leagues (also have Edmonds in both) but I see no way to spin adding two veteran RBs as a positive for DJ, especially after what just transpired last week.

I had high hopes for DJ this year.  Didn't expect a great YPC, but thought he was primed for some serious receiving stats.  He reminds me of Peyton Tomlinson.  

ghostguy123 said:
Odds they just trade him?
They can’t afford it without some major capology. One of lowest amounts of cap space available and a huge dead money hit to trade him as he’s only one year into his extension.

Then I would think they run him into the ground as much they can while they have him, which worries even more given what's going on

@AdamSchefter

Cardinals RB David Johnson won’t play Sunday against the Saints due to his ankle injury, per source. Johnson is expected to miss Sunday vs. Saints and Thursday night’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, per source.

@AdamSchefter

Cardinals RB David Johnson won’t play Sunday against the Saints due to his ankle injury, per source. Johnson is expected to miss Sunday vs. Saints and Thursday night’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, per source.
Given this bit of news what do you think Chase’s value is in redraft?  With the tough 4 game stretch and DJ likely coming back at some point I was thinking of trading him now. 

I was thinking of asking for A. Robinson from the DJ owner. Is that fair value?

Users who are viewing this thread