What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you a Costco member? What do you buy for your household? (1 Viewer)

Sorry, I meant I use this to haul my others groceries into the house. Like from Kroger. 
Yeah, I just reuse the same box Costco gave me forever ago.  Keep it in my entry closet, then throw it in the truck when I go to Costco.  Tell "them no boxes please" then put my stuff in my re-used box, carry it back into my house and repeat as necessary.  Re-using old boxes isn't for everyone though!

edit to add that I use this same old box for nearly all my shopping trips, no matter which store I go to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just reuse the same box Costco gave me forever ago.  Keep it in my entry closet, then throw it in the truck when I go to Costco.  Tell "them no boxes please" then put my stuff in my re-used box, carry it back into my house and repeat as necessary.  Re-using old boxes isn't for everyone though!

edit to add that I use this same old box for nearly all my shopping trips, no matter which store I go to.
Carry it around with you in the mall ?  This  could be a game changer

When I go to Costco, I just take a box they gave me and haul #### to my house in that.
Sorry, I meant I use this to haul my others groceries into the house. Like from Kroger.
We bought a few of the insulated bags and use those. Serves two purposes, keeps the refrigerated stuff cold while we hit the other stores in our grocery routine and then you can haul almost everything into the house in two trips.

There's a Champion brand dual-fuel 9000 watt peak generator at our costco right now for $799.  It's a pretty good deal from what I can tell.  I'm looking to get something that would run the essentials in an emergency.  i.e. Well Pump, Sump Pump, forced air blower (AC not essential, but heat is) a Refrigerator, maybe some other little stuff.  Anybody have one?

I've never had experience with the brand, but the dual fuel is a nice touch in case gas lines are crazy like they were for Sandy here in NJ - I could at least get some propane to run things.

Fat Nick said:
There's a Champion brand dual-fuel 9000 watt peak generator at our costco right now for $799.  It's a pretty good deal from what I can tell.  I'm looking to get something that would run the essentials in an emergency.  i.e. Well Pump, Sump Pump, forced air blower (AC not essential, but heat is) a Refrigerator, maybe some other little stuff.  Anybody have one?

I've never had experience with the brand, but the dual fuel is a nice touch in case gas lines are crazy like they were for Sandy here in NJ - I could at least get some propane to run things.
If it's this one, it's $250 off starting June 1st and was in the June coupon book I just received. 

Fat Nick said:

Dual fuel is a nice option.  Curious, how were you planning on hooking up the generator to the essentials that can't be directly plugged into it?

Dual fuel is a nice option.  Curious, how were you planning on hooking up the generator to the essentials that can't be directly plugged into it?
I had a transfer switch/panel installed with an input in the garage.  I can plug that 240V output into the plug in my garage, throw the transfer switch on my breaker box, and then flip on breakers individually to power up certain circuits.

I had a transfer switch/panel installed with an input in the garage.  I can plug that 240V output into the plug in my garage, throw the transfer switch on my breaker box, and then flip on breakers individually to power up certain circuits.
Nice.  How much did that run you?

Nice.  How much did that run you?
I think it was ~$500 in total.  I had them do it when the electrician was on-site and already working on adding some circuits for the basement, so maybe a little more if they were to do JUST that.  I think it's a pretty standard electrician job though.  My switch is a manual one, so I think pretty cheap parts wise.  There's basically a sliding metal plate that keeps you from closing (completing) the circuit with the generator without first opening the circuit to the power lines.  This keeps you from back-powering the lines, which can be really dangerous.  That's basically the gist of it.  They tell you to turn ALL your breakers off, power up the generator and throw the transfer switch, then slowly power up circuits until you figure out what the generator can handle.  I'm guessing 7,000 watts will run most everything I have shy of A/C, the baseboard heaters in the basement, and crazy stuff like washers/dryers and ovens.  Should run the well pump, sump pump, oil forced air heat, and refrigerator.  Those are the main concerns.

I'm going to have to look for that coupon now...

Good call to whoever mentioned the store made lasagna.   I just polished off a third of it.   This might be the last time I buy it if I don't want to put on 50 lbs.   

7k watts is a ton. I have a 2k honda inverter generator and I can run three refrigerators, a deep freezer, the fan for the gas heater, and incidental electronics - phone/battery chargers, lights, tv, computer. I have to be careful about order of starting things up, but it works great. 

I'd probably have gotten that Costco one if my natural gas wasn't on the opposite side of my house from the circuit breaker. 
Does it offer a propane to natural gas converter?

holy crap, it does. I can buy a propane/ng kit for my honda. Crazy. 
Look in the reviews/comments. One guy said all he had to do was attach a 1" natgas line. But their user manual makes no mention.

Good call to whoever mentioned the store made lasagna.   I just polished off a third of it.   This might be the last time I buy it if I don't want to put on 50 lbs.   
Are you referring to the ravioli-based lasagna? If so, not my favorite. Not a fan of the ravioli as the noodles. If it was made with regular lasagna noodles, it would be great.

Always a fan of the Chicken Pot Pie and Chicken Noodle Soup. Am on a diet where I have to eat softer foods due to teeth issues, and was looking for a pie last week; of course they tend to not make them in June. :(

just had the store made enchilada bake for dinner last night.  $16 and can easily get 4 good size servings out of it.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Recent Costco member here. My wife is a militant organic shopper so we use Costco to supplement our shopping rather than as the base.  The Brooklyn Costco is like a Syrian border crossing on the weekends, but we give it a go anyway for bulk coffee, canned goods, organic eggs and the few organic produce choices. 

We like the single serve organic humus for the kids' lunches.  They also used to have an organic nut/trail mix combo that seems to have disappeared.  I hope they bring that back.  

I've been picking up the 3 pack organic ground beef the last few times for soup, sauce recipes but I may stop because it is SUPER greasy.  The chicken is money.  I picked up some ribeye's this weekend that I'm going to grill up tonight if I can stand the heat.  

you have to buy a converter for this...but should be very easy.
Yeah, what the reviewer was saying was that it took more natgas flow to work that the propane, and replacing the tubing with 1" took care of the needed extra volume. :shrug:  I know those converter kits are available for many other applications, but unsure how they work.

Yeah, what the reviewer was saying was that it took more natgas flow to work that the propane, and replacing the tubing with 1" took care of the needed extra volume. :shrug:  I know those converter kits are available for many other applications, but unsure how they work.
that's right.  nat gas is supplied at a lower pressure than propane.  Essentially needs a venturi to work, but they are sold as a unit that keeps everything proper....I bought one after converting a stove from propane (bullet tank) to nat gas when they ran nat gas around lake.

A few days ago I received an envelope in the mail from Costco. I open it what do you know, it's my rewards check. I found this odd since I joined on August 15 of last year so this reward is only for 9 months. Today I decided to go to Costco for a few things but before that hit up Customer Service with questions about my reward check. So it turns out, according to the guy I spoke with,  your 1st year of membership they will send your reward early so you can renew using it. My reward was for $117.40 so my wife dug in her purse and found a $1 bill and $1.60 in change and I'm renewed until September 1, 2018. 

Now, I also confirmed something else today that I discovered earlier this week. Executive members can now get rewards on Costco Travel. Here's a copy and paste as well as a direct link.

Eligible purchases:

Most U.S. warehouse purchases apply to the 2% Reward. Please see below for a list of ineligible purchases. Eligible purchases made in Canada, Puerto Rico or on Costco.com also contribute to the annual 2% Reward. For Costco Travel purchases departing on or after September 1, 2017, Executive Members will earn a 2% Reward after travel is completed (must be an Executive Member when travel starts).

Pharmacy and OTC purchases apply to the 2% Reward. Only the amount not covered by insurance (co-pay) is calculated as part of the 2% Reward.

Refunds of eligible purchases will be deducted from the 2% Reward.

Scroll down about halfway

Back in April I booked a Vegas trip through Costco Travel. My trip is in December which is after the posted 9/1/2017 date so I asked if I would get the reward. He stated that he thought I would but since this only came out a couple of weeks ago he wasn't 100% sure. He said that he would contact corporate for an answer and to check back with him on my next visit. He also said that if I didn't get the reward that he could pull some strings and cut some red tape and get it added to my reward anyway. 

Damn I love this place. 

Finally, while we we're standing at the CS counter my wife noticed some Costco cooler bags on the back shelf and asked what they were. Turns out they were for a promo for applying for the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi.  So of course I applied and got approved so now my rewards are going up. I'm paying everything with that card.

Oh and I had a sample of a chocolate mousse cake that was ####### awesome.

Are you referring to the ravioli-based lasagna? If so, not my favorite. Not a fan of the ravioli as the noodles. If it was made with regular lasagna noodles, it would be great.

Always a fan of the Chicken Pot Pie and Chicken Noodle Soup. Am on a diet where I have to eat softer foods due to teeth issues, and was looking for a pie last week; of course they tend to not make them in June. :(
I am.  Definitely not the traditional experience, but the raviolis were nice for being raviolis and the meat sauce was tasty.   My daughters liked it as well which is always nice.  

Had their $1.50 hot dog and soda combo the first time the other day.  Damn, that was one mighty tasty hot dog.  I like the bun with the sesame seeds.   $1.50 for the hot dog alone seems like a good deal.   Throwing in the soda makes it a steal.  
The hot dog/soda combo for $1.50 is a steal.  However, the BBQ brisket sandwich is amazing.  If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it.

Will someone describe the travel program, please?  Does it add any value for flights only?

Had their $1.50 hot dog and soda combo the first time the other day.  Damn, that was one mighty tasty hot dog.  I like the bun with the sesame seeds.   $1.50 for the hot dog alone seems like a good deal.   Throwing in the soda makes it a steal.  
Legend is when the founder was retiring, one of the criteria for picking the next CEO was "will this person keep the hot dog and soda combo at $1.50?"

I like those $1.99 doublewide pizza slices.  Add a soda and you're still under $3.  

Legend is when the founder was retiring, one of the criteria for picking the next CEO was "will this person keep the hot dog and soda combo at $1.50?"

I like those $1.99 doublewide pizza slices.  Add a soda and you're still under $3.  
i heard the same legend about maintaining the $5 price for their rotisserie chicken.   they sell bottled water from the vending machine at the food court for $.25.   Crazy.   

Users who are viewing this thread