What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you a Costco member? What do you buy for your household? (1 Viewer)

That sounds like a terrible grilled cheese sandwich.

Oh, and I am pretty sure your bread theory is bogus.
The "theory"

You make a loaf of bread with whole wheat and water. The whole wheat has 14 grams of carbohydrates, but 3 of those are fiber. Since fiber isn't digestible, those three grams are not counted, giving you net carb content of 11 grams. The math is carbs - fiber = net carbs.

What companies started doing was loading a bunch of fiber  in products, so in the case of the wheat bread, they would add another 10 grams of fiber to the wheat in the bread mix. Then they use the above formula to say that  13 carbs - 13 grams fiber = 0 net carbs.

The math is correct, but the application is bogus.

In the original calculation, the fiber in wheat was included in the total carb count. Three of those carbs were not digestible, so you were getting 11 net carbs.

In the second calculation, the 3 wheat fiber carbs would still be deducted, but the other 11 crabs are unaffected by dumping a bunch of fiber on top of them, None of them replaced the "real carb" count in the wheat. You're still getting 11, just a bunch of fiber on top of it.

Welcome to USA marketing and capitalism. 

The "theory"

You make a loaf of bread with whole wheat and water. The whole wheat has 14 grams of carbohydrates, but 3 of those are fiber. Since fiber isn't digestible, those three grams are not counted, giving you net carb content of 11 grams. The math is carbs - fiber = net carbs.

What companies started doing was loading a bunch of fiber  in products, so in the case of the wheat bread, they would add another 10 grams of fiber to the wheat in the bread mix. Then they use the above formula to say that  13 carbs - 13 grams fiber = 0 net carbs.

The math is correct, but the application is bogus.

In the original calculation, the fiber in wheat was included in the total carb count. Three of those carbs were not digestible, so you were getting 11 net carbs.

In the second calculation, the 3 wheat fiber carbs would still be deducted, but the other 11 crabs are unaffected by dumping a bunch of fiber on top of them, None of them replaced the "real carb" count in the wheat. You're still getting 11, just a bunch of fiber on top of it.

Welcome to USA marketing and capitalism. 
I just looked at the ingredients list, and I am not sure this bread is made that way. But I am disappointed to see it contains soybean oil, so it may be relegated to the dustbin because of that.

MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, (CHICORY) VEGETABLE FIBER, OAT FIBER, SOYBEAN OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: YEAST, VINEGAR, SALT, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID).

I just looked at the ingredients list, and I am not sure this bread is made that way. But I am disappointed to see it contains soybean oil, so it may be relegated to the dustbin because of that.

MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, (CHICORY) VEGETABLE FIBER, OAT FIBER, SOYBEAN OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: YEAST, VINEGAR, SALT, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID).
AT LEAST YOU UNDERSTAND SOYBEAN OIL IS BAD. 

Just kidding. But its huge leap to accept palm oil, suet and coconut oil (all saturated) are much ,much healthier than soy, canola and cottonseed.

cosjobs said:

Just kidding. But its huge leap to accept palm oil, suet and coconut oil (all saturated) are much ,much healthier than soy, canola and cottonseed.
We mostly cook with avocado oil, olive oil, butter, and ghee. And I have a ghee/coconut oil blend that I am looking forward to trying out.

cosjobs said:
I think they use fishy carb counts.

If the actual ingredient have fiber, the fiber (which is a carb) is deducted from the total count.

To game the numbers a lot of food mfrs dump in a lot of fiber on top of the other ingredients and then subtract them from the total. That's not how it works. You are still getting (in this case) 12 carbs, just with a bunch of fiber on top.
Re: You're explanation above- if companies were adding a bunch of fiber, why wouldn't they have to include all the additional fiber in the carb count?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: You're explanation above- if companies were adding a bunch of fiber, why wouldn't they have to include all the additional fiber in the carb count?
Because fiber in not digestible and should not count. But neither is it 'replacing" any real carbs.

I tried to explain it  avbit more clearly in a follow-up post.

cosjobs said:

It’s also a leap to think slathering a thinly sliced piece of bread in butter is any better than the regular slice sans the butter.

And it’s a leap of faith to believe promoting starvation metabolism is healthy.
Fat based energy is not starvation metabolism.

The studies I have looked at seem to indicate improved health with it.

On the other hand, this is really hijacking the thread. I would be more than happy to continue this dialogue, but I think we should move it to the Ketosis thread where its science, attributes and issues are exhaustively discussed.

Btw, I am not so much advocating it, but rather attempting inform people who choose to try that lifestyle, what works and what doesn't in the context of foods for sale at Costco.

Fat based energy is not starvation metabolism.

The studies I have looked at seem to indicate improved health with it.

On the other hand, this is really hijacking the thread. I would be more than happy to continue this dialogue, but I think we should move it to the Ketosis thread where its science, attributes and issues are exhaustively discussed.

Btw, I am not so much advocating it, but rather attempting inform people who choose to try that lifestyle, what works and what doesn't in the context of foods for sale at Costco.
We don’t need to hijack the thread. But I’ve already pointed out some of the issues with assuming ketogenic diets are healthy in one of the keto threads. 

To keep with the Costco theme, I recommend the bulk Brussels sprouts, blueberries and broccoli over the tub of butter and novelty bread.

RedmondLonghorn said:
Here are some other great things I have found at Costco for people on a low-carb diet:

Jennie's Coconut Bites (like macaroons)

Ava Organics Crispy Coconut Rollers (like little crispy cookies)

Jojo's Guilt Free Chocolate Bars (with added protein)

Autumn's Gold Grain Free Granola Bars

4505 Meats Chicharrones
Found this guy while clicking around on Youtube, seems like it fits well here...

FlavCity with Bobby Parrish

MASSIVE Costco Haul - Every Snack Item Reviewed - What To Buy & Avoid

Top 10 Things To Buy At Costco In 2020 - Healthy Grocery Haul

Huge Costco Grocery Haul - 25 Healthy Items To Buy & What To Avoid

7 Cooking Oils Explained At Costco..The Good, Bad & Toxic!

He's got a ton of these for multiple stores.

You also get 4% cashback with your Costco card.
had to look this up because my current credit card is basically worthless to me.  Costco gas station isn't close enough for me to reap the 4% benefit but the rest looks ok.

4% on eligible gas, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter

3% on restaurants and eligible travel

2% on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com

1% on all other purchases

had to look this up because my current credit card is basically worthless to me.  Costco gas station isn't close enough for me to reap the 4% benefit but the rest looks ok.

4% on eligible gas, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter

3% on restaurants and eligible travel

2% on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com

1% on all other purchases
You don't have to buy the gas at a Costco station to get the 4%.  It's way cheaper there but the 4% isn't locked into going there.  

You don't have to buy the gas at a Costco station to get the 4%.  It's way cheaper there but the 4% isn't locked into going there.  
"One downside to the Costco Anywhere Visa Card vs. other Visa rewards cards you can use at Costco is that the Anywhere Visa rewards are dispersed once a year — with your February billing statement as a rewards certificate — and can only be used at Costco. So, essentially, you accrue rewards with your purchases from January through December, then get a certificate with that total in February. The certificate is redeemable in a single transaction through December 31 of the year it was issued. If you cancel your membership, you forfeit those rewards you have yet to redeem. If you don’t use all of the Costco rewards in one purchase, you’ll be given cash for the remainder at the Costco register."

so, theoretically those of you pulling back $1000 in Costco rewards could buy a Costco hot dog and cash out the remaining $999.75?

Because fiber in not digestible and should not count. But neither is it 'replacing" any real carbs.

I tried to explain it  avbit more clearly in a follow-up post.
I’m curious about this as well. I’ve tried the breads and they seem to not work for me, but my understanding is his point is fair, no? Even though the fiber doesn’t “count” don’t you still have to list every gram of fiber you add as an additional gram of carbs? Does the regulatory authority on nutritional info really allow you to add fiber and that, since it won’t truly “count” as a carb, not add it to the carbs? That doesn’t seem likely but I’ve been known to be naive and they seem “too good to be true”.

"One downside to the Costco Anywhere Visa Card vs. other Visa rewards cards you can use at Costco is that the Anywhere Visa rewards are dispersed once a year — with your February billing statement as a rewards certificate — and can only be used at Costco. So, essentially, you accrue rewards with your purchases from January through December, then get a certificate with that total in February. The certificate is redeemable in a single transaction through December 31 of the year it was issued. If you cancel your membership, you forfeit those rewards you have yet to redeem. If you don’t use all of the Costco rewards in one purchase, you’ll be given cash for the remainder at the Costco register."

so, theoretically those of you pulling back $1000 in Costco rewards could buy a Costco hot dog and cash out the remaining $999.75?
Yes. I never even do that. I just go to the customer service counter and get cash for the whole thing.

Yes. My wife and I use the card for business travel so we get 3% on basically all of our expense reports. We also use it for all gas/restaurants/Costco and any vacations. With the business travel, we get a big rebate each year so I invariably get a check from them (not cash). Unless I truly need something big, I just do my normal shopping and get the cash/check.

Yes. I never even do that. I just go to the customer service counter and get cash for the whole thing.
I’ve been doing that the past couple years once they got big. I had a lot left over one time and it was a pain to get the rest in cash since they didn’t have enough at the register. 

Numerous times I have just cashed the rewards check at a register. 

one of you big reward check ballas, please do this and report back with video of course.   i'd love to see the expression on the cashiers face having to count out all that money.   

Yep - it annoys me because it goes like this....   

Walks to front podium with my 1100 reward.

Give to to person

Ohhh we have to write you a check

Me ok, deposit check

Its like WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ISSUE ME A gosh darn CHECK IN THE MAIL.....

At least my Costco figured out the process....

The first year they switched over.  Go to customer service/returns. Sorry you have to go wait in line at a cash register.  Waits in long line,  gets to register.  Watch this poor ******* try to count out 1K in cash, then call someone over to get more cash.

Next year - sorry you have to go to cash register.... wait in line, oh this is big - go to the podium to the customer support person.  Cut me a check. 

They finally told me to go to the front from now on.  (Still not the return/customer service desk)

Anyone been since they started the early hour for seniors, from 8a-9a? Normal opening is usually 10, so do they close from 9-10, and then re-open to everyone at 10 on those days? Or do they open to everyone at 9, once the senior hour is over? I'm assuming the former, to give the seniors time to clear out before the regular crowd.

Anyone been since they started the early hour for seniors, from 8a-9a? Normal opening is usually 10, so do they close from 9-10, and then re-open to everyone at 10 on those days? Or do they open to everyone at 9, once the senior hour is over? I'm assuming the former, to give the seniors time to clear out before the regular crowd.
From 9-10 they clear out bodies.

Got my Costco delivery yesterday. 

Tried something new: Panko breaded seaweed with hot chili. (snack chips)

Man, are they ever delicious. Seaweed gives them that Umami thing. Kind of pricey (~$7 for a regular potato chip sized bag)

Got my Costco delivery yesterday. 

Tried something new: Panko breaded seaweed with hot chili. (snack chips)

Man, are they ever delicious. Seaweed gives them that Umami thing. Kind of pricey (~$7 for a regular potato chip sized bag)
Oh, these things are awesome

I went there last Tuesday for the Senior hour.  We got there at 7:30 and the senior line was already wrapped around the parking lot, although they were trying to keep people 6 feet apart so it wasn't actually as long as it looked.   Still, they were only letting a limited number of people in at a time and we didn't get into the store until 9:15.  I think they held the regular line until 10:00.  The store was still crowded with seniors at that time.

Just realized they do 1 hour delivery to my house. It's definitely more expensive than in store, but might be a nice option to not have to go out.

Marauder said:
The Noid said:
I went there last Tuesday for the Senior hour.  We got there at 7:30 and the senior line was already wrapped around the parking lot, although they were trying to keep people 6 feet apart so it wasn't actually as long as it looked.   Still, they were only letting a limited number of people in at a time and we didn't get into the store until 9:15.  I think they held the regular line until 10:00.  The store was still crowded with seniors at that time.
Update: went this morning and got there around 9:10, figuring I'll just wait in whatever line until they open at 10. I walked through the line queue, got to the front and figured I would be first for when they re-opened at 10. But, they just handed me a freshly sanitized cart and waved me (and other non-seniors behind me) in. Guess my local store must just be staying open (for all) after senior hour and not waiting until 10 to re-open. 

P.S. My 4th visit in last 3 weeks and they have been out of wipes (cleaning and butt), Lysol spray, rubbing alcohol, and liquid soap every time. The last two times, though, they did have water, toilet paper and bleach.

P.P.S. Gas was $1.55

Went to Costco this morning. Got there at about 9:45. The waiting line to get in snaked across the front of the store 2 1/2 times, and by the time we actually entered about 10:10 it was 3 1/2 times and starting down the side of the building. Inside it was great, probably the least crowded I’ve seen it, and they had most of the registers open to keep the lines to 2 shoppers deep at most. Meat case was stocked, TP and paper towels were available, grabbed a box of Tate’s cookies based on this thread. No disinfecting wipes, Lysol, or bleach.

Went to Costco this morning. Got there at about 9:45. The waiting line to get in snaked across the front of the store 2 1/2 times, and by the time we actually entered about 10:10 it was 3 1/2 times and starting down the side of the building. Inside it was great, probably the least crowded I’ve seen it, and they had most of the registers open to keep the lines to 2 shoppers deep at most. Meat case was stocked, TP and paper towels were available, grabbed a box of Tate’s cookies based on this thread. No disinfecting wipes, Lysol, or bleach.
I had a similar experience. Was going to try and get there a little before 10 but didn't make it until 10:40 and the line was out the door and wrapped around the side of the building. It only took about 5 minutes to get inside. Nothing but the organic ground beef was available and no prime filets but everything else seemed to be stocked up in the meat department. I could only get 1 bag of monk fruit. No lysol or wipes at mine either. 

I don't know if this is all locations or not but there was a limit of 2 people allowed in the store per membership and that policy started today. 

Gas was $1.29. $19 to fill up the Tacoma. 

I would say that there were about 1/3 of the people wearing mask and /or gloves myself included. Most of the registers were open and employees were directing customers which register to go to. There was yellow tape spaced out 6 feet and an employee directing you at each register. They also had the plexiglass barriers at each register and were disinfecting between each customer. 

In The Zone said:
I had a similar experience. Was going to try and get there a little before 10 but didn't make it until 10:40 and the line was out the door and wrapped around the side of the building. It only took about 5 minutes to get inside. Nothing but the organic ground beef was available and no prime filets but everything else seemed to be stocked up in the meat department. I could only get 1 bag of monk fruit. No lysol or wipes at mine either. 

I don't know if this is all locations or not but there was a limit of 2 people allowed in the store per membership and that policy started today. 

Gas was $1.29. $19 to fill up the Tacoma. 

I would say that there were about 1/3 of the people wearing mask and /or gloves myself included. Most of the registers were open and employees were directing customers which register to go to. There was yellow tape spaced out 6 feet and an employee directing you at each register. They also had the plexiglass barriers at each register and were disinfecting between each customer. 
This is insane.  Still $2.45 at Fred Meyer (Kroger) in Oregon.

My last visit (outside of Chicago) was a five minute wait in the snake line they created with skids, then easy shopping and checkout once inside.  My enjoyment while shopping is to line as many things as I can in the cart so the UPC code is facing up.  This time (only 5-6 items), it worked out perfect and I didn't have to put anything on the conveyor to be scanned.  Click, click, click, tap the Costco card, and out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread