What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 NBA Thread: I felt a great disturbance in the trolls, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. (2 Viewers)

It just keeps piling on for the Mavericks this offseason...

Remember when Sacramento canned Dean Oliver and we all joked about how much the Kings hated math? Well, they just hired Roland Beech away from the Mavericks.

Roland is the mastermind behind 82games.com. Cuban was an early adopter of Roland's work - he was a big fan of the five-man lineup stats at the site. Beech worked as a consultant, then assistant coach, then as a vice president on the personnel side. He was the driving force behind the Mavericks hiring Rick Carlisle, and his work helped DAL pull the trigger to acquire Jason Kidd and Tyson Chandler to set up their title win in 2011.
Did they offer him a million dollars a year?

BDL's Charlotte Hornets are up. But first, an explainer from BDL defining the history of the Hornets franchise:

"We are going by the NBA’s rules, here. We’re pretending that the New Orleans Hornets never existed, and only including players from both the 1988-2002 run, and the term that began when the NBA gave Charlotte an expansion team in 2004.

Initially we were going to try a different approach, but because the Charlotte Bobcats’ history is so ruddy awful and because the Charlotte Hornets are technically “the Charlotte Hornets” again, we’re going to pretend like the New Orleans Pelicans were an expansion team that started up business in 2002, and that the Charlotte basketball team isn’t at all an expansion team that started its own journey in 2004 (even though it totally is).

All these years later, and George Shinn is still making life needlessly complicated for everyone."

Using those parameters, here's their Starting Five:

C Alonzo Mourning

F Glen Rice

F Gerald Wallace

G Dell Curry

G Muggsy Bogues

Very surprised they took Wallace over Grandmama Larry Johnson.

Dell Curry seems like nepotism on the surface, but Curry is the franchise's leading scorer despite only starting 77 games for them during his career in Charlotte.
Again, the New Orleans version of this franchise has been absorbed into the history of the Pelicans, so no CP3 or David West under consideration.

BDL's Charlotte Hornets are up. But first, an explainer from BDL defining the history of the Hornets franchise:

"We are going by the NBA’s rules, here. We’re pretending that the New Orleans Hornets never existed, and only including players from both the 1988-2002 run, and the term that began when the NBA gave Charlotte an expansion team in 2004.

Initially we were going to try a different approach, but because the Charlotte Bobcats’ history is so ruddy awful and because the Charlotte Hornets are technically “the Charlotte Hornets” again, we’re going to pretend like the New Orleans Pelicans were an expansion team that started up business in 2002, and that the Charlotte basketball team isn’t at all an expansion team that started its own journey in 2004 (even though it totally is).

All these years later, and George Shinn is still making life needlessly complicated for everyone."

Using those parameters, here's their Starting Five:

C Alonzo Mourning

F Glen Rice

F Gerald Wallace

G Dell Curry

G Muggsy Bogues

Very surprised they took Wallace over Grandmama Larry Johnson.

Dell Curry seems like nepotism on the surface, but Curry is the franchise's leading scorer despite only starting 77 games for them during his career in Charlotte.

Again, the New Orleans version of this franchise has been absorbed into the history of the Pelicans, so no CP3 or David West under consideration.
LJ completely defines that team for me (along with Mourning).

BDL's Heat:

C Alonzo Mourning

F Chris Bosh

F LeBron James

G Tim Hardaway

G Dwyane Wade

My first reaction was wanting an excuse to put Shaq on the team, but Zo's career numbers with the Heat are too big and too good. BDL also mentioned that Zo should have won the 1999 MVP that went to Karl Malone.

Expected the Hardaway v Jones battle to be closer on paper than it turned out to be. Tim Hardaway's MIA career was much stronger than I remembered. Allan Houston making that shot at the end of Game 5 of that MIA/NYK series in 1999 sure changed how that era of the Heat is perceived.

ETA: erroneously reported Udonis Haslem at forward. BDL actually chose LeBron James. Apologies to those misled by the error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. Those awesome Converse ads with Grandmama LJ made him the face of the franchise pretty much from the day he arrived in Charlotte. LJ and Kendall Gill were fun as Charlotte in the original NBA JAM, too. That game made me think Gill played for the Hornets a lot longer than he actually did.Hornets and Heat today means our Timberwolves and the Magic are next up.

BDL's Heat:

C Alonzo Mourning

F Chris Bosh

F Udonis Haslem

G Tim Hardaway

G Dwyane Wade

My first reaction was wanting an excuse to put Shaq on the team, but Zo's career numbers with the Heat are too big and too good. BDL also mentioned that Zo should have won the 1999 MVP that went to Karl Malone.

Expected the Hardaway v Jones battle to be closer on paper than it turned out to be. Tim Hardaway's MIA career was much stronger than I remembered. Allan Houston making that shot at the end of Game 5 of that MIA/NYK series in 1999 sure changed how that era of the Heat is perceived.
How is Bosh on the team by Lebron isn't? Lebron was the 2 time MVP in Miami and was the best player in the NBA for all four years he was there.

Me too. Those awesome Converse ads with Grandmama LJ made him the face of the franchise pretty much from the day he arrived in Charlotte. LJ and Kendall Gill were fun as Charlotte in the original NBA JAM, too. That game made me think Gill played for the Hornets a lot longer than he actually did.Hornets and Heat today means our Timberwolves and the Magic are next up.
Wolves are tough, too much mediocrity. The only givens are KG and Towns.

I was curious so I was looking up all time TWolves players...

Garnett is the franchise leader in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, and assists. That shouldn't surprised me, I guess, as he's played twice as many minutes as anybody else in franchise history and they are only 25 years old, but I still found it amazing.

I was curious so I was looking up all time TWolves players...

Garnett is the franchise leader in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, and assists. That shouldn't surprised me, I guess, as he's played twice as many minutes as anybody else in franchise history and they are only 25 years old, but I still found it amazing.
KG could make it on there twice and it would make sense.

Two of my first non sixers jerseys were LJ and Glen Rice. Had the matching hornets shorts to go with the jersey.

Garnett has more Win Shares for the Timberwolves than the 2-5 on the list combined.

I figure the other forward has to be Love, but I still have my Gugliotta 24-blue jersey, Sam Mitchell is a dark horse lifetime achievement award candidate, but he will probably just get a shout-out like Brad Davis did for the Mavericks. Szczerbiak would have a shot at making the lineup at guard, but most of his minutes were at SF.

On paper the guards are Doug West and Terrell Brandon. West leads the guards by a mile in scoring and participation stats. Marbury was on his way to many All-Star Games in MIN, but it turns out he's Satan's nephew.

Al Jefferson will keep Towns's seat warm as the all-time C until Towns passes him in March or April.

Long Ball Larry said:
Rony Seikaly a gross oversight.
Jon Sundvold. Somehow was a 99 3-point shooter on Tecmo Basketball.
Outstanding shooting form and range. Would have been an NCAA legend if he played with the college three-point line.

He made an appearance at a basketball camp I attended when I was in middle school. He coached me on a minor fix that triggered a huge jump on my FT% the next season. I had been approaching free throws trying to straddle the center of the lane. Sundvold got me to plant the foot under my shooting hand right in the middle of the lane pointing right at the basket, and shooting right over that: shooting foot, shooting hand, shooting eye all on the same vertical line. Eventually started lining up jumpers that way, too.

Insein said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
Frostillicus said:
Two of my first non sixers jerseys were LJ and Glen Rice. Had the matching hornets shorts to go with the jersey.
Teal and purple should be a disaster as a uniform colors combo, but LJ made it work. Made his gold tooth pop.

Insein said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
Frostillicus said:
Teal and purple should be a disaster as a uniform colors combo, but LJ made it work. Made his gold tooth pop.
I was the most stylin kid in the 3rd grade on the court... In my mind anyway.

Reports of JV to sign for 4/$60. Solid value. Thought they'd get sucked into giving him max.
Still seems like the jury is out on whether he's any good, but these days that feels like a reasonable deal even if he's not.
His floor seems to be worth it IMO. 12/10 with a high FG% & FT% is worth $15M under the new cap. If Casey ever figures out how to properly utilize him, it'll be a steal. Still only 23 so there is nothing but upside left.

Reports of JV to sign for 4/$60. Solid value. Thought they'd get sucked into giving him max.
Still seems like the jury is out on whether he's any good, but these days that feels like a reasonable deal even if he's not.
His floor seems to be worth it IMO. 12/10 with a high FG% & FT% is worth $15M under the new cap. If Casey ever figures out how to properly utilize him, it'll be a steal. Still only 23 so there is nothing but upside left.
Looks like year 4 is a player option.

Cliff Clavin said:
That's what we thought of Andris Biendrins before.

We aren't far away from every starter getting 8 figures a year. That contract is good. He can be the third best player on a good team

BDL's Magic are up:

C Dwight Howard

F Rashard Lewis

F Tracy McGrady

G Nick Anderson

G Penny Hardaway

Preferred Howard's eight seasons of production over Shaq's four. Also claimed Howard is an uncrowned ROY and MVP.

Seemed to give Lewis way too much credit for ORL winning the East in 2009. Turkoglu, Ho Grant, even Dennis Scott were better picks on paper.

Jameer Nelson, Darrell Armstrong, and Scott Skiles got shout-outs at guard.

I feel like Shaq's 4 seasons are pretty hard to beat but that 2010 team Magic team was the best the franchise has to offer. And 2009 right after. So I guess Dwight makes sense.

BDL's Raptors are up:

C Antonio Davis

F Chris Bosh

F Amir Johnson

G Vince Carter

G Demar Derozan

I'd forgotten Antonio Davis played for TOR. I kinda/sorta remembered IND traded him to draft Jon Bender, but blanked that TOR was the trade partner.

Little surprised Mo Peterson didn't make the team, and equally surprised Derozan is about to start his seventh season as a pro.

I feel like Shaq's 4 seasons are pretty hard to beat but that 2010 team Magic team was the best the franchise has to offer. And 2009 right after. So I guess Dwight makes sense.
I don't see a big difference between those teams and the 1995, 1996 teams myself. For my money I'd say the 1996 team was the best they had to offer, they just happened to have to go against the 72 win Bulls juggernaut who no one was beating.

Last edited by a moderator:
BDL's Raptors are up:

C Antonio Davis

F Chris Bosh

F Amir Johnson

G Vince Carter

G Demar Derozan

I'd forgotten Antonio Davis played for TOR. I kinda/sorta remembered IND traded him to draft Jon Bender, but blanked that TOR was the trade partner.

Little surprised Mo Peterson didn't make the team, and equally surprised Derozan is about to start his seventh season as a pro.
Not having a PG on there is pretty poor. Calderon or Alvin Williams should be there instead of Derozan.

So the NBA schedule maker stepped down. Apparently will be the first time in 30 years that he is not the person to make the entire schedule by hand. Wow.

CLE signs center Sasha Kaun. 2-year deal, most likely for minimum.

Kaun played C for CSKA Moscow since 2009, and played for the Russian national team at the 2012 Olympics, a team coached by David Blatt.

Kaun will be CLE's fourth of fifth big, depending on how healthy Anderson Varejao is this winter.

With this signing, Kaun becomes the most likely candidate to become the third player from the 2008 Kansas Jayhawks to win an NBA title.

BDL's Raptors are up:

C Antonio Davis

F Chris Bosh

F Amir Johnson

G Vince Carter

G Demar Derozan

Where's Skip to My Lou?

BDL's Raptors are up:

C Antonio Davis

F Chris Bosh

F Amir Johnson

G Vince Carter

G Demar Derozan

Where's Skip to My Lou?
I'm guessing outside of a bodega.

BDL's Grizzlies are up:

C Marc Gasol

F Pau Gasol

F Zach Randolph

G Tony Allen

G Mike Conley Jr

Shout-outs to Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Mike Miller. Token mentions of Rudy Gay, Shane Battier, OJ Mayo. No mention of Mike Bibby or White Chicolate Williams.

Rudy Gay belongs on the list. The guy is top 5 all time for the franchise in pretty much every meaningful category

BDL's Pelicans are up.

As they explained with the Hornets Starting Five, the NBA considers the Pelicans to have started in 2002 when the Charlotte franchise relocated to New Orleans. When the Bobcats took on the Hornets nickname, they also inherited the old Charlotte team's history.

C Anthony Davis

F David West

F PJ Brown

G Baron Davis

G Chris Paul

Not bad for a team with such a short history and not much postseason action. One HOFer and a second player on a HOF trajectory.

Users who are viewing this thread