What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 NBA Thread: I felt a great disturbance in the trolls, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. (2 Viewers)

BDL's Sonics are up:

C Jack Sikma

F Shawn Kemp

F Kevin Durant

G Gary Payton

G Russell Westbrook

Gave the nod to Westbrook over Ray Allen because Allen had fewer than 300 games with the franchise while Westbrook had seven seasons and counting. Also said if the franchise hadn't moved, SI would have written many cover stories comparing Westbrook and Payton.

Gave shout-outs to Slick Watts and Nate McMillan as nasty defenders who also contributed on offense. Gave some love to Dale Ellis and Xavier McDaniel.
Can you edit this one too so that Brintey doesn't murder someone?
If he gets angry, bring up when the Sonics won the 1996 NBA Finals. It helps to talk about when they called a foul on Rodman for jumping into Kemp on a late jump ball that allowed SEA to pull out a late, close game. And how Karl never foolishly tried putting Hawkins on Jordan, always making sure either Payton or McMillan was on the court to guard MJ.
Gus Williams deserves some love here.

people should think about the raptors remember when the uniforms looked like a dinosaur had taken a bite out of them that was scary now imagine that instead of some shorts it was your face now you are thinking about the raptors damn straight take that to the bank brohans

BDL did mention the dysfunctional backcourt of Gus Williams and Dennis Johnson that won a title in between feuding with teammates and coaches, and in Williams's case, sitting out an entire season in a contract dispute.

Also mentioned Seattle's history with long distance shooters from Fred Brown to Rashard Lewis.

that Sonics championship team gets kind of lost in the post-Celtics, pre-Magic & Bird dark ages of the NBA. It had a very young core with Sikma, DJ, Williams and Lonnie Shelton all with less than 3 years in the league. They caught fire the previous season. Lenny Wilkens was hired after a 5-17 start and took the team to the 7th game of the NBA Finals. They traded away Slick Watts during the season for a future draft pick and then lost Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster to free agency. But they maintained their excellence in 78-79 due to improvements from some of their young talent. They beat the Suns in a tight Western Conference finals and then rolled through a rematch against the Bullets. The Kareem Magic Lakers beat them the following year and they collapsed in 80-81 because of the Gus Williams holdout and the Johnson-Westphal trade.

BDL's Suns are up:

C Amare Stoudemire

F Charles Barkley

F Shawn Marion

G Kevin Johnson

G Steve Nash

Would have liked to find a way to put Alvan Adams in the lineup, maybe move Amare to forward and bench Marion.

As posted, strong second unit here, especially for a franchise with only 2 Finals trips and no titles.

Adams, Larry Nance, Dan Majerle, Paul Westphal, and Walter Davis could go at a blistering pace and light it up.

Also consider the brief stops from Jason Kidd and Shaquile O'Neal. Kidd was an All-Star every year he was eligible for one as a Sun, and Shaq's last season as an elite player was in PHX.

That SEA-PHX conference finals in 1979 was some of the first NBA playoffs I remember watching and tracking closely. Weird seeing MacLeod holding a piece of chalk while the ball was in play, then drawing plays with it on the court during timeouts, like a little kid drawing on the driveway. I guess this was before the era of whiteboards and dry erase markers.

BDL's Suns are up:

C Amare Stoudemire

F Charles Barkley

F Shawn Marion

G Kevin Johnson

G Steve Nash

Would have liked to find a way to put Alvan Adams in the lineup, maybe move Amare to forward and bench Marion.

As posted, strong second unit here, especially for a franchise with only 2 Finals trips and no titles.

Adams, Larry Nance, Dan Majerle, Paul Westphal, and Walter Davis could go at a blistering pace and light it up.

Also consider the brief stops from Jason Kidd and Shaquile O'Neal. Kidd was an All-Star every year he was eligible for one as a Sun, and Shaq's last season as an elite player was in PHX.
Not even a mention of Tom Chambers? Late 80s early 90s Chambers was a solid all-around player and a prolific offensive weapon.

From BDL, "Big forwards Larry Nance and Tom Chambers were both a little before their time, and perfect for their era. They mixed superior hops with shooting and ball-handling skills and drove defenses absolutely crazy as members of the Suns. Connie Hawkins worked much in the same way in the 1970s."

I guess it would be hard to bump Marion or Barkley from a team construction standpoint, but Connie Hawkins absolutely must be the sixth man.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Any new house rules I should be aware of?
You need to pick 5 teams to root for this year.

I got

Celtics

Wolves

Thunder

Clips

Pelicans
Gotta go animals:

Wolves

Hawks

Bulls

Grizzlies

Bucks
Crap, forgot about my Pelicans
WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE RAPTORS!?!?!?
:goodposting:
Too Drake-y.

From BDL, "Big forwards Larry Nance and Tom Chambers were both a little before their time, and perfect for their era. They mixed superior hops with shooting and ball-handling skills and drove defenses absolutely crazy as members of the Suns. Connie Hawkins worked much in the same way in the 1970s."
BDL != Bruce ?

BDL = "Ball Don't Lie", an NBA blog run by Kelly Dwyer, now under the Yahoo umbrella. Dwyer was also a frequent guest on the old Basketball Jones podcast, the crew now on NBA TV rebranded "The Starters".

BDL's Bucks are up, brohans:

C Kareem Abdul Jabbar

F Marques Johnson

F Bob Dandridge

G Sidney Moncrief

G Ray Allen
i was pretty close with what i put up in tims all hemmoroid all the time talk thread i had the same at center same with marques johnson at f but i took vin baker instead of bobby dangdrige i had ray allen at g but i took the big o instead of sidney i just think you have to go with one of the best twenty five players of all time becuase like my main man bruce hornsby and the range said thats just the way it is take that to the bank bromigos

BDL's Sonics are up:

C Jack Sikma

F Shawn Kemp

F Kevin Durant

G Gary Payton

G Russell Westbrook

Gave the nod to Westbrook over Ray Allen because Allen had fewer than 300 games with the franchise while Westbrook had seven seasons and counting. Also said if the franchise hadn't moved, SI would have written many cover stories comparing Westbrook and Payton.

Gave shout-outs to Slick Watts and Nate McMillan as nasty defenders who also contributed on offense. Gave some love to Dale Ellis and Xavier McDaniel.
I guess that since we drafted him, I can allow it. So we can use Pippen too, right?

Bruce Dickinson said:
BDL's Sonics are up:

C Jack Sikma

F Shawn KempF Kevin Durant

G Gary PaytonG Russell Westbrook

Can you edit this one too so that Brintey doesn't murder someone?
If he gets angry, bring up when the Sonics won the 1996 NBA Finals. It helps to talk about when they called a foul on Rodman for jumping into Kemp on a late jump ball that allowed SEA to pull out a late, close game. And how Karl never foolishly tried putting Hawkins on Jordan, always making sure either Payton or McMillan was on the court to guard MJ.
Pretty sure I might kick Hawkins in the shin if I saw him. He completely got afraid to shoot at some point. I mean, come on.

My 5 teams:

Pistons

Warriors (Draymond)

T-Wolves (Adreian Payne)

Nuggets (Gary Harris)

Sioux Falls Skyforce (Travis Trice)

Bruce Dickinson said:
BDL did mention the dysfunctional backcourt of Gus Williams and Dennis Johnson that won a title in between feuding with teammates and coaches, and in Williams's case, sitting out an entire season in a contract dispute.

Also mentioned Seattle's history with long distance shooters from Fred Brown to Rashard Lewis.
I feel like the Sonics tried to be ahead of the times with the 1 in 4 out thing, but repeatedly failed miserably trying to find a legit center of any type.

:lmao:

Can't believe I missed this til now. http://arizonasports.com/2015/07/31/former-phoenix-suns-f-marcus-morris-engages-in-twitter-fight-with-radio-host/ Thrilled the Suns just found a taker for Marcus Morris. He was doing nothing more than blocking the way for a more talented player in TJ Warren.

Sounds like Markieff could be next. Both are more trouble then they're worth. Unlike his brother, they may actually an asset in return for Markieff considering he's signed to decent contract through 2018-19. Neither are anywhere as close to as good as they believe in their own minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentry apparently has Davis working on shooting 300 corner treys a day, so that's terrifying for other teams.
Seems like wasted reps to me. Hard to imagine an offense in which he's hanging out in the corner a whole bunch.
Holiday and Evans would go nuts at the rim if there are 4 shooters on the floor. Not sure that's the highest and best use of Davis, but Evans in particular would be awesome.

Schedule details starting to trickle down.

Christmas Day marathon will open with Pelicans at Heat. Featured game of the day will be Cleveland at Golden State.

Campaigning around league for Clippers at Mavericks, but nothing confirmed.

My 5 teams

Golden State

OKC

Detroit

San Antonio

Washington

but I also like

Toronto

Cleveland

Lakers

Minnesota

Orlando

New Orleans

and I occasionally root for

Atlanta

Charlotte

Dallas

Miami

Portland

BDL's Clippers are up:

(Franchise history also includes the Buffalo Braves and San Diego Clippers)

C Bob McAdoo

F Elton Brand

F Blake Griffin

G Randy Smith

G Chris Paul

The Buffalo and San Diego versions of the franchise were as bad as the Sterling era. Remarkably few All-Stars and playoff appearances for how many years the franchise has been in existence.

BDL mentioned five players who suited up for LAC from 1995 to 1997 have already passed away.

Gave Loy Vaught a shout-out for years of solid service in near anonymity, and praised Sam Cassell for running the outlier 2006 LAC team. For a guy who got traded a ton, Cassell sure showed up for a lot of high-water marks for the team's he played for.

I agree with BDL's picks 5-for-5. Corey Maggette shows up on a lot of Clippers all-time lists, but he was a looter who never made an All-Star team. My guy Danny Manning would have been a good pick a couple years ago, but Blake Griffin has passed him as a Clipper. World B Free and Terry Cummings had a couple of standout individual seasons, but were Clippers for only two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
BDL's Cavaliers

C Zydrunas Ilgauskas

F LeBron James

F Larry Nance

G Mark Price

G Austin Carr

They put Z over Brad Daugherty because of longevity, but that's inconsistent with just about every other pick they've made.

Would've gone World B Free over Austin Carr, but Carr was a great player for a long time.

My 5 teams

Golden State

OKC

Detroit

San Antonio

Washington

but I also like

Toronto

Cleveland

Lakers

Minnesota

Orlando

New Orleans

and I occasionally root for

Atlanta

Charlotte

Dallas

Miami

Portland
i for one can not believe that you went curl night on us and despite liking three quarters of the nba you could not see clear in your heart to put down the bucks well ok then you have made a powerful enemy this day msudaiserino actually just kidding but hey the bucks should be fun to watch this year take that to the bank

First Name Starting 5s

PG - Dave Bing

SG - Dave DeBusschere

SF - David Thompson

PF - Dave Cowens

C - David Robinson

PG - Bob Cousy

SG - Bob Dandridge

SF - Bobby Jones

PF - Bob McAdoo

C - Bob Petit

PG - Bill Sharman